Bored Buddies on Gameshows Thread

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

#76 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:46 pm

vicking wrote:I was on the last show before the summer break.
With that info and your screen name, I don't think you're trying to hide your identity. Do you mind if I post the link to the show recap, for everyone else?

vicking

#77 Post by vicking » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:52 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can share too many details about AYSTAFG.

But as for BAM, I was on in the fall of 2005. I lost on the $8,000 question, which I found to be very difficult: "What is sclerotherapy?"
It is cosmetic surgery for (A) forehead lines, (b) crows feet, (c) vericose veins, or (d) liver spots.

Breaking down the word to its Greek root, sclero, I concluded it was related to "hardening." Only one of those four choices would entail a "hardening" (i.e., making the forehead more stiff).

But I was wrong and left with $1,000.

Have people on this board commented on how much harder the syndicated version is than the prime time version? The syndicated has had only 2 million dollar winners, and 3 half million dollar winners in six seasons.

TheCalvinator24

#78 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 pm

vicking wrote:Have people on this board commented on how much harder the syndicated version is than the prime time version?
Yes.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Corn

#79 Post by Corn » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Have Appeared On

WWTBAM, prime time (ROF only, of course)
WWTBAM, syndie
Jeopardy!

Have Tried Out For

Brain Trust (not a game show)

Would Like To Appear On

maybe AYSTA5G or power of 10, Amazing Race. I could go for Survivor Ritz Carlton too. lol.
never got around to sending in apps for 5th grader or power of 10 though. I really should have sent in the 5th grader one when I asked you guys about it a few months back.

vicking

#80 Post by vicking » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:56 pm

You can post the recap if you want -- it is readily available on the internet.

MarleysGh0st

#81 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:56 pm

vicking wrote: Have people on this board commented on how much harder the syndicated version is than the prime time version? The syndicated has had only 2 million dollar winners, and 3 half million dollar winners in six seasons.
Yes, the budget for the sydicated version is much smaller than it was on prime time; they have to make the stacks harder.

MarleysGh0st

#82 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:59 pm

vicking wrote:You can post the recap if you want -- it is readily available on the internet.
Thanks. It's available, but sometimes folks here want to be more circumspect about their identities. Not that we don't celebrate whenever any of us gets on a game show! :)

Here is the official recap from Victor's appearance.

http://www.fox.com/areyousmarter/recaps/120.htm

earendel

#83 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:13 pm

vicking wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think that I can share too many details about AYSTAFG.
Because you're not permitted to do so?
vicking wrote:But as for BAM, I was on in the fall of 2005. I lost on the $8,000 question, which I found to be very difficult: "What is sclerotherapy?"
It is cosmetic surgery for (A) forehead lines, (b) crows feet, (c) vericose veins, or (d) liver spots.

Breaking down the word to its Greek root, sclero, I concluded it was related to "hardening." Only one of those four choices would entail a "hardening" (i.e., making the forehead more stiff).

Curse those Greek (and Latin) roots! I had a similar experience when I was on primetime BAM back in 2000. A little better outcome, though.
vicking wrote:Have people on this board commented on how much harder the syndicated version is than the prime time version? The syndicated has had only 2 million dollar winners, and 3 half million dollar winners in six seasons.
Yes, that has been discussed.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Shade

#84 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:06 pm

I won the lottery again today, a resounding...4 dollar...With cash like that I won't need to go to WWTBAM :P

Ever since I started playing lottery, I've won 29 dollars, in scratch and win games

TheCalvinator24

#85 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Shade wrote:I won the lottery again today, a resounding...4 dollar...With cash like that I won't need to go to WWTBAM :P

Ever since I started playing lottery, I've won 29 dollars, in scratch and win games
How much have you spent to win that $29?
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bob Juch

#86 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Shade wrote:I won the lottery again today, a resounding...4 dollar...With cash like that I won't need to go to WWTBAM :P

I hope that's not your retirement plan! :P

Shade

#87 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:09 pm

Probably more than double that. I buy scractch and win tickets when I have some change or money to throw away. I know I really shouldn't and it's a bad habbit. At least I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. :)

Shade

#88 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:10 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

I hope that's not your retirement plan! :P
lol, if I win big it is. But I'll most likely end up opening an IRA when I turn 20.

Buffacuse

#89 Post by Buffacuse » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:44 pm

Sorry so late to this thread...on Jeopardy the first year it came back--1984. Not on a college round--but was student body prez at SU at the time--that was my hook. Won first day, lost second day. Alex was a pr_ck.

Tried out for WWTBAM more times than I can count...remembering my moldy pc from 2001 in Detroit.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#90 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:23 am

vicking wrote:But as for BAM, I was on in the fall of 2005. I lost on the $8,000 question, which I found to be very difficult: "What is sclerotherapy?"

MBFFB® remembers that stack quite well....

lb13

TheConfessor

#91 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:41 pm

vicking wrote:Have people on this board commented on how much harder the syndicated version is than the prime time version? The syndicated has had only 2 million dollar winners, and 3 half million dollar winners in six seasons.
I think both versions ran in cycles of varying difficulty. Most observers seem to feel that on average, the syndicated questions may be a bit harder than the prime time questions. To me, the recent syndicated show questions have seemed easier than in past seasons, though the leaked upcoming million dollar question seems pretty hard.

Just because the syndicated show has had fewer top winners doesn't automatically mean that it's harder. It could also be a reflection of the contestants and the selection process. Contestants selected for their knowledge probably fare better than contestants chosen for their personality or demographics. And any assertion that the syndicated version is harder should be viewed in light of the fact that current contestants get an extra lifeline and don't have to win the Fastest Finger round just to reach the hotseat.

vicking

#92 Post by vicking » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Yes, there's no fastest finger, but the show is also on five days a week (as opposed to once a week or less). So, there should still be at least one $1 million winner per year (as opposed to 2 in 6 years), I would think. And judging by the large number of $500,000 winners on the primetime version, there should be at least half a dozen $500,000 winners a year on the syndicated version (as opposed to 3 in 6 years).

According to wwtbam.biz, the average synidcated version contestant will leave with $20,000.

Therefore, my advice to all of you wanting to audition for the syndicated version -- bear in mind that you have to pay for airfare to NYC and an Upper West Side hotel. (My friend who made it to the ROF on the primetime version did not have to pay for plane or hotel.) If you leave with only $1000 or less, then -- after taxes -- you will be in the red. There are other shows with less downside and more upside, especially if you live near Los Angeles. Friends of mine have made much more money on Friend or Foe and Lingo.

MarleysGh0st

#93 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:48 pm

vicking wrote: Therefore, my advice to all of you wanting to audition for the syndicated version -- bear in mind that you have to pay for airfare to NYC and an Upper West Side hotel.
All the contestants from Where Else don't! :roll:

And for the rest of us who have made getting on this show our quest for the Holy Grail, the potential financial losses from a poor performance is hardly an issue. Heck, just totalling up the expenses I've had in traveling to auditions...

takinover

#94 Post by takinover » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 am

TheConfessor wrote:Contestants selected for their knowledge probably fare better than contestants chosen for their personality or demographics.
Contestants for WWTBAM have never been selected for their knowledge. Contestants have been selected via winning a telephone lottery where luck is by far the most important factor (lucky enough to get questions you can answer and even luckier to get the call out of thousands of other people playing )comes into play or via auditions where personality, looks, demographics, etc., come into play.

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#95 Post by Odyssey » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:22 am

Have Appeared On:
WWTBAM-Play It at DisneyWorld. Why did they have to get rid of that attraction?

Have Auditioned For:
WWTBAM--Twice. Currently waiting for postcard

Want to Appear On:
Anything that requires some mental skill that pays big money and doesn't make me travel to CA at my own expense to audition. Yes, I do take suggestions.
Odyssey

Shade

#96 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:30 pm

I'm fairly certain Power of 10 tapes in NY, so if you live near NY you wouldn't have to travel to CA

JeanieWho

#97 Post by JeanieWho » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:21 pm

Does appearing as a contestant's friend on WWTBAM count??

Other than that, I'd like to be on:
Oprah

don't ask :P

~ J

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#98 Post by Odyssey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:47 am

Shade wrote:I'm fairly certain Power of 10 tapes in NY, so if you live near NY you wouldn't have to travel to CA

Not for me--I like a definitive right answer, not some need to use telepathy on whatever subset of people TPTB choose to poll.
Plus, I *hate* Drew Carey.
Keep those east coast try out suggestions coming though. :)
Odyssey

moonie

#99 Post by moonie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:08 pm

I have the decent fortune of being on both the Prime Time BAM and the Syndicated version.

I won $1000 combined.

But it was fun, a blast, and a lesson in patience and humility.

I tried out for WOF this summer for the upcoming Radio City shows. (thought I had it made, but noooooo)

Would love to do the AMAZING RACE ---{accepting applications for a partner for the moniker "Internet Friends"}
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

earendel

#100 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:12 pm

moonie wrote:Would love to do the AMAZING RACE ---{accepting applications for a partner for the moniker "Internet Friends"}
Check with peacock2121 - she's been wanting to do this for a long time and you might be able to hook up with her for a partner.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."