Transcript 2/11/2011 - Karen Koontz

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 2/11/2011 - Karen Koontz

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Karen Koontz
New York City, NY

Karen likes to invent things and she's on the cusp of inventing something that will change the lives of all urban dwellers. She can't give any details but she mentions rainy days and trying to get to work or home and she's working on something that will help out. Her winnings will be seed money for her invention.

Topic Tree: (unrandomized)
- Night Sky
- Veepstakes
- First on Film
- D.C. Museums
- Little Naomi
- Supermarket Math
- TV Ads
- CD Covers
- Book Awards
- Greek Speak

Topic Tree: (randomized)
- TV Ads
- Greek Speak
- D.C. Museums
- CD COvers
- Veepstakes
- First on Film
- Supermarket Math
- Night Sky
- Book Awards
- Little Naomi

Question #1 (Little Naomi)
When she was a child, future supermodel Naomi Campbell appeared in a music video for what pop icon's song "Is This Love"?
A - Eric Clapton
B - Marvin Gaye
C - Bob Marley
D - Elton John

Karen can hardly wait for Meredith to stop reading the question so she can answer it.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Bob Marley)
Value: $2,000
Bank: $2,000
Question #2 (Book Awards)
First given out in 1989, the Agatha Awards honor literature predominantly of what genre?
A - mystery
B - romance
C - Western
D - sci-fi
Spoiler
Answer: A (mystery)
Value: $15,000
Bank: $17,000
Question #3 (Night Sky)
Each August, debris from the Swift-Tuttle comet creates a meteor shower that appears to emanate from what constellation?
A - Sagittarius
B - Ursa Minor
C - Orion
D - Perseus

If Karen were to take a stab at it she'd say
Spoiler
Orion
because it's the only one she knows is after wintertime. She decides to jump the question.
Spoiler
Answer: D (Perseus)
Value: $3,000
Bank: $17,000 (unchanged)
Question #4 (Supermarket Math)
If hot dogs come in 10-packs and buns in 8-packs, what's the smallest number you could buy to get the same number of each?
A - 5 hot dog packs, 6 bun packs
B - 4 hot dog packs, 5 bun packs
C - 5 hot dog packs, 4 bun packs
D - 4 hot dog packs, 6 bun packs

Karen starts analyzing the answer before Meredith can read the four choices. She apologizes. "I told you I was ready to play," she jokes.
Spoiler
Answer: B (4 hot dog packs, 5 bun packs)
Value: $1,000
Bank: $18,000
commercial break

The "Blast from the past" question was worth $100,000 in 2002:
The center of the Earth is approximately how many miles below the Earth's surface?
A - 2,000
B - 4,000
C - 6,000
D - 8,000
Spoiler
B (4,000)

Question #5 (First on Film)
According to actress Janet Leigh, her film "Psycho" has the unusual distinction of being the first U.S. film to show what onscreen?
A - a naked male posterior
B - a woman shaving her legs
C - a woman in labor
D - a toilet being flushed

Karen immediately says she wants to ask the audience.
ATA results
A - 10%
B - 34%
C - 5%
D - 51%
Karen says this is where she has to decide how much of a gambler she is. Does she trust the audience or walk away? She decides to go with the audience's answer.
Spoiler
Answer: D (a toilet being flushed)
Value: $500
Bank: $18,500

THE END OF GAME "NOISE"

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 2/11/2011 - Karen Koontz

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Question #3 (Night Sky)
Each August, debris from the Swift-Tuttle comet creates a meteor shower that appears to emanate from what constellation?
A - Sagittarius
B - Ursa Minor
C - Orion
D - Perseus

A bunch of us hang out just about every year to watch these. Great Sand Dunes National Park makes for particularly good viewing.

Question #4 (Supermarket Math)
If hot dogs come in 10-packs and buns in 8-packs, what's the smallest number you could buy to get the same number of each?
A - 5 hot dog packs, 6 bun packs
B - 4 hot dog packs, 5 bun packs
C - 5 hot dog packs, 4 bun packs
D - 4 hot dog packs, 6 bun packs

Karen starts analyzing the answer before Meredith can read the four choices. She apologizes. "I told you I was ready to play," she jokes.

This would have been really boring with me as a contestant:

"OK, let's see . . .
A - 50, 48
B - 40, 40
OK, but I gotta double check C and D.
C - 50, 32
D - 40, 48

B, final answer.

Question #5 (First on Film)
According to actress Janet Leigh, her film "Psycho" has the unusual distinction of being the first U.S. film to show what onscreen?
A - a naked male posterior - I don't remember that
B - a woman shaving her legs - Ditto
C - a woman in labor - Ditto
D - a toilet being flushed - This could be.

D, final answer.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:22 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Question #5 (First on Film)
C - a woman in labor
When I saw this question, I was pretty sure it was not D, because I thought I remembered a key scene in "The Grapes of Wrath" where two kids saw a toilet for the first time and didn't know what it was. The explored it and played with it, then accidentally flushed it. This scared them and they though they had broken it. The toilet had a wall-mounted tank with a pull cord for flushing it. I tried to find the scene online but couldn't. I think my memory may be slightly off, and maybe the actual flushing of the toilet was only heard and not seen. Can anyone verify that?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 am

TheConfessor wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Question #5 (First on Film)
C - a woman in labor
When I saw this question, I was pretty sure it was not D, because I thought I remembered a key scene in "The Grapes of Wrath" where two kids saw a toilet for the first time and didn't know what it was. The explored it and played with it, then accidentally flushed it. This scared them and they though they had broken it. The toilet had a wall-mounted tank with a pull cord for flushing it. I tried to find the scene online but couldn't. I think my memory may be slightly off, and maybe the actual flushing of the toilet was only heard and not seen. Can anyone verify that?
Even if your memory is correct, the question doesn't say that Janet Leigh was right. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:00 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Karen Koontz
New York City, NY

Karen likes to invent things and she's on the cusp of inventing something that will change the lives of all urban dwellers. She can't give any details but she mentions rainy days and trying to get to work or home and she's working on something that will help out. Her winnings will be seed money for her invention.
Four contestants on one show!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #1 (Little Naomi)
When she was a child, future supermodel Naomi Campbell appeared in a music video for what pop icon's song "Is This Love"?
A - Eric Clapton
B - Marvin Gaye
C - Bob Marley
D - Elton John

Karen can hardly wait for Meredith to stop reading the question so she can answer it.
Spoiler
Shout-out to Marley!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #2 (Book Awards)
First given out in 1989, the Agatha Awards honor literature predominantly of what genre?
A - mystery
B - romance
C - Western
D - sci-fi
Spoiler
Since they already have the Edgars, why the need for another award for mystery writers?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #3 (Night Sky)
A - Sagittarius
B - Ursa Minor
C - Orion
D - Perseus

If Karen were to take a stab at it she'd say
Spoiler
Orion
because it's the only one she knows is after wintertime. She decides to jump the question.
Spoiler
Answer: D (Perseus)
Value: $3,000
Bank: $17,000 (unchanged)
Her comment about winter confused me. My first thought was "Leo" (the Leonids) and had that been up there as a distractor I'd have had a problem. Since it wasn't, it's smooth sailing.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #5 (First on Film)
C - a woman in labor

Karen immediately says she wants to ask the audience.
ATA results
A - 10%
B - 34%
C - 5%
D - 51%
Karen says this is where she has to decide how much of a gambler she is. Does she trust the audience or walk away? She decides to go with the audience's answer.
Spoiler
Answer: D (a toilet being flushed)
Value: $500
Bank: $18,500
Good for the audience getting it right, albeit by a razor-thin (pun intended) margin. This is a standard bit of movie trivia, IIRC.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:08 pm

earendel wrote:
A - mystery
B - romance
C - Western
D - sci-fi
Spoiler
Since they already have the Edgars, why the need for another award for mystery writers?
Edgars ordinarily go to hard-boiled mysteries, the kind with tough-guy detectives and such. Agathas are for "cozies," those gentler mysteries with unlikely investigators and a homey setting, such as the books by the awards' namesake, Agatha Christie.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:21 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
earendel wrote:
A - mystery
B - romance
C - Western
D - sci-fi
Spoiler
Edgars ordinarily go to hard-boiled mysteries, the kind with tough-guy detectives and such. Agathas are for "cozies," those gentler mysteries with unlikely investigators and a homey setting, such as the books by the awards' namesake, Agatha Christie.
Again, thanks. You are a veritable geyser of useful information today.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:04 pm

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Karen Koontz
New York City, NY

Four contestants on one show!
Weren't you lucky it was your transcription night! :P
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #1 (Little Naomi)
A - Eric Clapton
B - Marvin Gaye
C - Bob Marley
D - Elton John

Spoiler
Shout-out to Marley!
Only to my Cousin Bob. :)

megaaddict

#9 Post by megaaddict » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 am

I never thought of Bob Marley as a "pop icon" before. He must be smiling down from heaven knowing that he has attained the status of a Britney Spears or a Justin Bieber. :roll:

Note to TPTB: Please add "music legend" to the writing staff's vocabulary.