Crap!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Crap!

#1 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:23 pm

I had a job interview last week. A really good job, good company, cut my commute by 1/3.

Found out today, no go.

But to make it worse, the headhunter said...
"John" was very specific that the decision was not a reflection on your capability to do the job, or your match for the job.

In "John’s" mind, he simply did not feel a sufficiently strong “connection” on a personal level, and that is a big deal for him – and an obstacle that cannot be overcome.

Translation, "he didn't like you." "It was you, not him."

That's a first for me. Usually it is that my background or qualifications "don't fit". That is easier to get over. This makes me want to drink. I need a Stuart Smally moment.

Though, I can respect the decision based on that, because it is important, but I really liked the guy.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

gsabc

Re: Crap!

#2 Post by gsabc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah, that sucks. Nothing you can do about it to improve skills, either. You wonder how many good people he's passed up over the years for his company because he couldn't "connect". Feh. He didn't deserve you and your talents. It'll come. Stay positive. (Yeah, easy for me to say)
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm

That lack of connection isn't necessarily a reflection on you. It could be the "culture" of the company. It could be because he's very very picky and sticky. You probably wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway. You don't really "connect" with someone on a deep level in interviews.

It's all good.
Well, then

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#4 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:01 pm

That's so sucky--I hardly ever agree with you and I like you!

They must have figured out you have a sense of humor and didn't want someone without a PermaStick up the butt....
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

elwoodblues

#5 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 pm

I will tell my story another time, but I have been to several interviews in recent years and have heard from the headhunter for some of them that I was not "outgoing" enough or some crap like that for jobs that have nothing to do with being outgoing. I have begun to suspect that age discrimination is at work here, and that may have also been the case with you.

And gsabc, do you know how old the other person you were competing with was?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:07 pm

BackInTex wrote:I had a job interview last week. A really good job, good company, cut my commute by 1/3.

Found out today, no go.

"John" was very specific that the decision was not a reflection on your capability to do the job, or your match for the job.

In "John’s" mind, he simply did not feel a sufficiently strong “connection” on a personal level, and that is a big deal for him – and an obstacle that cannot be overcome.

That's a first for me. Usually it is that my background or qualifications "don't fit". That is easier to get over. This makes me want to drink. I need a Stuart Smally moment.

Though, I can respect the decision based on that, because it is important, but I really liked the guy.
I suspect the guy of being a secret goat bigot. The bastidge.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:39 am

BackInTex wrote: In "John’s" mind, he simply did not feel a sufficiently strong “connection” on a personal level, and that is a big deal for him – and an obstacle that cannot be overcome.
You might have gotten the hint during the interview process when saw the big picture on his wall of him shaking hands with Barack Obama.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:42 am

elwoodblues wrote:I will tell my story another time, but I have been to several interviews in recent years and have heard from the headhunter for some of them that I was not "outgoing" enough or some crap like that for jobs that have nothing to do with being outgoing. I have begun to suspect that age discrimination is at work here, and that may have also been the case with you.

They specifically said they were looking for a "greybeard" (after which I stroked mine). The founders are both brilliant with 20 years experience in their field, but under 40 and lacking in FDA expertise. I expect my challenger couldn't have been too much younger than myself, if not even older.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 am

elwoodblues wrote:I have begun to suspect that age discrimination is at work here, and that may have also been the case with you.
I sort of half-thought that, but any moron looking at the timeline on my resume would know I have to be at least 48, unless I was some Doogy Howser prodigy. Not many of those in accounting.

It may be more that I appeared 'uncomfortable', which I'll admit I was. I find it tough to 'connect' in an interview situation where I have never met the person before. I suspect I need to approach interviews a completely different mindset. Perhaps go in with the attitude that I'm already hired and this is the first day and we are simply figuring out what it is I'm going to do for them. Or with the mindset that I'm not interviewing but just got partnered with the guy for a round of golf and we are simply discussing what it is we each do, and there is no job on the line.

I don't know. I'm doing something wrong.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:21 am

Sorry, man. When I first saw the topic, I thought you might have run across this story. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Flybrick

#11 Post by Flybrick » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:29 am

Sorry.

One the one bright side I see in your description, they/he admitted it was him. You obviously have the skills they, and others, want. Just not a bromance with this guy.

His loss.

There will always be some folks that don't like you no matter what. I suspect there are some folks you don't like no matter what. (I know I have some in that category). The next interview could be a complete reversal of this outcome, particularly if you think positive as you described above.

But none of this helps with getting a job with a better commute. Good luck.

kusch

#12 Post by kusch » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:51 am

BackInTex wrote:I had a job interview last week. A really good job, good company, cut my commute by 1/3.

Found out today, no go.

Sorry to see this. Holding good thoughts for you.

Btw, what is a "commute"? :D If I cut mine by 1/3 I would be to work in about a minute. :lol:

christie1111
11:11

#13 Post by christie1111 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:25 am

minimetoo26 wrote:\
They must have figured out you have a sense of humor and didn't want someone without a PermaStick up the butt....

This has to be the answer. Nothing else makes sense really.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:57 am

gsabc wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:I will tell my story another time, but I have been to several interviews in recent years and have heard from the headhunter for some of them that I was not "outgoing" enough or some crap like that for jobs that have nothing to do with being outgoing. I have begun to suspect that age discrimination is at work here, and that may have also been the case with you.

They specifically said they were looking for a "greybeard" (after which I stroked mine). The founders are both brilliant with 20 years experience in their field, but under 40 and lacking in FDA expertise. I expect my challenger couldn't have been too much younger than myself, if not even older.

Hey, that's discrimination!
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

lilclyde54

#15 Post by lilclyde54 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Though, I can respect the decision based on that, because it is important, but I really liked the guy.[/quote]

Dang, that sucks. It sounds like "John" might have done an internship as an AP with WWTBAM.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Weyoun

#16 Post by Weyoun » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:34 pm

That sucks. The latest hospital I am at has been tough to deal with because everyone seems a little... off. I'm at the point where I am just walking around putting IVs into random patients because I would rather not hang out with my coworkers. And it's based on absolutely nothing other than a feeling.

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:06 pm

Weyoun wrote:That sucks. The latest hospital I am at has been tough to deal with because everyone seems a little... off. I'm at the point where I am just walking around putting IVs into random patients because I would rather not hang out with my coworkers. And it's based on absolutely nothing other than a feeling.
Sounds like the opening of a SciFi/horror movie. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

KillerTomato

#18 Post by KillerTomato » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:54 pm

BiT, I suspect the guy was a closet Democrat. I also suspect that when he finds his bromance, it'll be with someone who turns out to have Ted Kaczinski-ish tendencies. You're better off elsewhere!
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll