Transcript 01/31/08 - Karyn Beach (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/31/08 - Karyn Beach (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:48 pm

Karyn Beach (carryover contestant)
Charlotte, NC

Karyn has already won $25,000. After taxes, she's thinking $12,500; she's always thinking about the tax man. Karyn is going to get a new car, she's hopefully have enough to put a downpayment on a house, and
she wants to give at least 10% to her dad, George, who's in the audience along with Uncle Jack. George gave Karyn a BMW in 1988 and she's still driving that thing.

$50,000
In the Western world, which of these items was used first?

A: Graphite pencil B: Pendulum clock
C: Eyeglasses D: Stethoscope

Pendulum clock is jumping out at Karyn--or maybe eyeglasses--but she decides to switch the question.

STQ $50,000
In the classic Hardy Boys book series, what is the name of Frank and Joe's famous detective father?

A: Porter B: Chadwick
C: Eastman D: Fenton

Karyn remembers reading these books, but she was more of a Nancy Drew fan, except for the TV show, because she like Sean Cassidy. For some reason, she's thinking Fenton.

$100,000
Which of these Oscar-winning actors has not also had a #1 album on the U.S. pop charts?

A: Liza Minelli B: Frank Sinatra
C: Jamie Foxx D: Barbra Streisand

Karyn: It's between A and B, because I know Jamie Foxx had a #1 album. I'm sure Barbra Streisand, after all that time, had to have had one. I'm gonna go with A: Liza Minelli, final answer.

Meredith: No, you Dad was back there going, "No, no, no, no," but you know, she's right, it's Liza Minelli!

-- Commercial Break --

Meredith had been watching George during that last question. He was mouthing "Frank Sinatra, go Frank Sinatra" to the person sitting next to him.

George: Well, I was thinking about Frank, but I'm so glad she didn't listen to me!

$250,000
Established by Congress in 1946, the prestigious Fulbright academic scholarships are named for a former senator from what state?

A: Arkansas B: Iowa
C: West Virginia D: Indiana

Karyn walks with $100,000. She was thinking Iowa or Indiana.

Answers:
$50,000: C: Eyeglasses
STQ $50,000: D: Fenton
$100,000: A: Liza Minelli
$250,000: A: Arkansas

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:46 am

I've already been eliminated from this stack, but I can still give my first impressions.

$50K: I had it down to either the pendulum clock or eyeglasses, but I was leaning more toward the pendulum clock.

$50K #2: I would've guessed Eastman had I taken the STQ.

$100K and $250K: Knew those immediately.

I better hurry up and make another post. This is #666 for me. :twisted:

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:13 am

This would have been a fun stack to see.

Appa23

#4 Post by Appa23 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:22 am

Now, why couldn't I get that $250,000 question. :cry:

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:43 am

Appa23 wrote:Now, why couldn't I get that $250,000 question. :cry:
Because. And I would have been happy to see it at $25,000.

tanstaafl2

#6 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:51 am

I suppose most people if they have a guess might think of Ben Franklin and eyeglasses but that was bifocals of course. Eyeglasses had been documented as being around some 500 years before that and perhaps are even older.

Pendulum clocks was a decent distractor as that seems like it could be pretty old as well. Turns out that is mid 1600's.

Would have been a good stack for me as I knew all these including both 50K's and theoretically from the comfort and safety of the Lazyboy I would be at 250K with all lifelines. In reality, who knows.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:26 pm

50K: A really ugly Q, if you've read somewhere, like I think I have, that the Ancient Egyptians may have listened to heartbeats through tubes or whatever. Western World, Western World. OK. They mean Europe.

My after-the-fact research for a Q I misheard on my one phone-game call-back round lead me to the knowledge that graphite for writing goes way back to 1500 something. But it wasn't put in pencils 'til later. And anyway, I think eyeglasses predate even 1500-something. I am reasonably sure the pendulum clock, for all I know also an Ancient Egyptian Wonder, is in Europe much later. So I am going for eyeglasses, but I will use that saved 50/50 here.

STQ 50K: Say its my 100K: I also was a Nancy Drew Book person (a nice cousin gave me a whole box of them), but I don't even remember her family's names if they even had them. I would have no hope in Hell of knowing Mr. Hardy's name. I would STQ this one.

my-STQ 100K: As a singer, Minelli is the least popular of the 4. Doesn't mean she never had a #1, though. I would be headed home right here.

250K: Which I would never see. I knew this one. I guess I was alive at the time, or whatever. Would I have had the guts to go for it "without reassurance", as I'd have no lifelines left? I will never know, but I bet if this contestant had had my gut feeling on it, she'd have gone for it in a minute.

This was the best run, as in having the ovaries to play, & also not loosing it in the euphoria so much that a contestant looses knowing when to leave, in a long time.

earendel

Re: Transcript 01/31/08 - Karyn Beach (carryover contestant)

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Karyn Beach (carryover contestant)
Charlotte, NC

Karyn has already won $25,000. After taxes, she's thinking $12,500; she's always thinking about the tax man. Karyn is going to get a new car, she's hopefully have enough to put a downpayment on a house, and
she wants to give at least 10% to her dad, George, who's in the audience along with Uncle Jack. George gave Karyn a BMW in 1988 and she's still driving that thing.
Karyn's thinking about taxes shows that she's got a pretty good head on her shoulders. It's touching, too, that she wants to give some back to her dad.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
In the Western world, which of these items was used first?

A: Graphite pencil B: Pendulum clock
C: Eyeglasses D: Stethoscope

Pendulum clock is jumping out at Karyn--or maybe eyeglasses--but she decides to switch the question.
The pendulum clock was developed by Huygens in 1656; I'm pretty sure that glasses were in use before that time. However since I crashed and burned on the $25K question this wouldn't matter.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $50,000
In the classic Hardy Boys book series, what is the name of Frank and Joe's famous detective father?

A: Porter B: Chadwick
C: Eastman D: Fenton

Karyn remembers reading these books, but she was more of a Nancy Drew fan, except for the TV show, because she like Sean Cassidy. For some reason, she's thinking Fenton.
I'd have had to use a lifeline for this one - probably STQ. I never read any of the Hardy Boys books; I was more of a Tom Swift kid.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
Which of these Oscar-winning actors has not also had a #1 album on the U.S. pop charts?

A: Liza Minelli B: Frank Sinatra
C: Jamie Foxx D: Barbra Streisand

Karyn: It's between A and B, because I know Jamie Foxx had a #1 album. I'm sure Barbra Streisand, after all that time, had to have had one. I'm gonna go with A: Liza Minelli, final answer.

Meredith: No, you Dad was back there going, "No, no, no, no," but you know, she's right, it's Liza Minelli!
I'd have done the same thing.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000
Established by Congress in 1946, the prestigious Fulbright academic scholarships are named for a former senator from what state?

A: Arkansas B: Iowa
C: West Virginia D: Indiana

Karyn walks with $100,000. She was thinking Iowa or Indiana.
I know it isn't WV or IN; my first thought was Wisconsin but that's Proxmire, so it would be time for the 50/50 and hope A and B weren't the two left.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."