Transcript 2/1/2008 - Chad Justen (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 2/1/2008 - Chad Justen (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Chad Justin
Toledo, OH

Chad's luggage was lost, and it was a terrible experience because he lost the clothes he and his wife Adrian had picked out to wear, but their anniversary is coming up soon and he had bought her a diamond bracelet to give to her, as well as a custom-made gift for Meredith. Meredith asks if it was jewelry; it was a T-shirt that read "I Love Toledo". The bracelet was a surprise.

Brad has his 50/50 and PAF lifelines remaining.

$4K - In hip-hop lingo, the word "shorty" commonly refers to a what?

A - sports car
B - lavish home
C - young woman
D - dollar bill

Chad jokes that he used to be a huge rap star. He was huge in Sheboygan, so he knows that his shorty is sitting over there (pointing behind him). Meredith asks what happened to his career. Chad said he gave it up. Once he was huge in Sheboygan there was nothing left to accomplish.

$8K - The ancient port of Byzantium is the site of which of these present-day cities?

A - Beirut
B - Rome
C - Athens
D - Istanbul

Meredith has trouble pronouncing "Byzantium". Chad has an inkling but doesn't want to risk it. He decides to phone his friend John, the uncle of a man he works with day to day. Chad reads the question and the answers, and John says "Istanbul". Chad asks if Istanbul is Constantinople also, and John says it was.

So chad asks if Constantinople was Byzantium, too. John seems a little confused because he asks if there are only three choices, and Chad says yes. Time runs out before getting any more information. Chad that that sounds geographically right, but he's still not certain so he asks for the 50/50, leaving C and D.

$16K - Doctors listen for "Korotkoff sounds" when they check what?

A - brain activity
B - blood pressure
C - breathing rate
D - reflexes

Chad says these are hard questions. He has no idea and it would be a total guess. Meredith asks if it would be a good guess, worth gambling on. He mumbles "reflexes" and shakes his head. Then he whistles and says, "I'm going to go for it and say B, blood pressure, final answer." After the answer is revealed he gets very excited and shouts, "Crazy! Crazy!"

$25K - Featured in the movie "Dead Poets Society," the famous line "I sound my barbaric yawp" was penned by what poet?

A - e e cummings [transcription's note: on the screen it was printed as E. E. Cummings]
B - Allen Ginsburg
C - Walt Whitman
D - T. S. Eliot

Meredith asks Chad if he saw the movie. He did. Chad has a feeling - he knows it's not two of them (but doesn't say which ones). He says that "Walt Whitman" is jumping out at him. It's between C and D and he doesn't think he can gamble $15K on it. He wouldn't be mad if he found out that he had guessed right after walking away. Good thing, because it was Whitman.

commercial break

ANSWERS:
$4K - C (young woman)
$8K - D (Istanbul)
$16K - B (blood pressure)
$25K - C (Walt Whitman)

7yrscollegedownthedrain

#2 Post by 7yrscollegedownthedrain » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:35 pm

¿¿¿a hip-hopper from Sheboygan??? new WE® category?
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Chad's appearance got a brief mention in this column, mainly recounting the lost luggage incident.

http://www.toledofreepress.com/?id=7123

Oddly for a post-airing article, they don't even bother mentioning how much Chad won! :shock:

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 2/1/2008 - Chad Justen (carryover)

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:50 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K - Doctors listen for "Korotkoff sounds" when they check what?

A - brain activity
B - blood pressure
C - breathing rate
D - reflexes

Chad says these are hard questions. He has no idea and it would be a total guess. Meredith asks if it would be a good guess, worth gambling on. He mumbles "reflexes" and shakes his head. Then he whistles and says, "I'm going to go for it and say B, blood pressure, final answer." After the answer is revealed he gets very excited and shouts, "Crazy! Crazy!"
The question may be obscure, but the choices were helpful. One cannot listen to brain activity, nor have I ever seen a doctor check reflexes with a stethoscope. And while they might listen for odd sounds while checking breathing, those sounds wouldn't be particularly related to the breathing rate. Which only leaves B.

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:07 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K - Doctors listen for "Korotkoff sounds" when they check what?

A - brain activity
B - blood pressure
C - breathing rate
D - reflexes

The question may be obscure, but the choices were helpful. One cannot listen to brain activity, nor have I ever seen a doctor check reflexes with a stethoscope. And while they might listen for odd sounds while checking breathing, those sounds wouldn't be particularly related to the breathing rate. Which only leaves B.
Not particularly obscure for all of us! While B is the obvious answer if you have a bit of medical knowledge I have seen a doctor check reflexes with a stethescope because they were me. The edge of the bell can work in a pinch. And you can't be sure you can totally rule out C if you don't know for sure as the writers could have produced a poorly worded question. Not that that ever happens...

And people can make audible respiratory noises of significance that one could hear while assessing the respiratory rate. Don't need a stethescope to do that. And nothing about a stethescope in the question anyway.

Can see where this could be a little bit tough for a non-medical person.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:51 am

$16K: No clue. PAF

$25K: My instinct was T.S. Eliot. Depending on what the 50:50 leaves will decide whether I leave with $16,000 or $1,000. I never would've guessed Whitman.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:53 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Chad Justin
Toledo, OH
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In hip-hop lingo, the word "shorty" commonly refers to a what?

A - sports car
B - lavish home
C - young woman
D - dollar bill

Chad jokes that he used to be a huge rap star. He was huge in Sheboygan, so he knows that his shorty is sitting over there (pointing behind him). Meredith asks what happened to his career. Chad said he gave it up. Once he was huge in Sheboygan there was nothing left to accomplish.
For some reason I thought "shorty" referred to a child, so I'd have been totally lost on this question. Time to ATA and hope they're more au courant with hip-hop language.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - The ancient port of Byzantium is the site of which of these present-day cities?

A - Beirut
B - Rome
C - Athens
D - Istanbul

Meredith has trouble pronouncing "Byzantium". Chad has an inkling but doesn't want to risk it. He decides to phone his friend John, the uncle of a man he works with day to day. Chad reads the question and the answers, and John says "Istanbul". Chad asks if Istanbul is Constantinople also, and John says it was.

So chad asks if Constantinople was Byzantium, too. John seems a little confused because he asks if there are only three choices, and Chad says yes. Time runs out before getting any more information. Chad that that sounds geographically right, but he's still not certain so he asks for the 50/50, leaving C and D.
I kept hearing the TMBG song in my head as Chad and his PAF discussed this question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Doctors listen for "Korotkoff sounds" when they check what?

A - brain activity
B - blood pressure
C - breathing rate
D - reflexes

Yeah, it was pretty crazy to go on a guess, but gutsy, too, and that kind of attitude endears a contestant to me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Featured in the movie "Dead Poets Society," the famous line "I sound my barbaric yawp" was penned by what poet?

A - e e cummings [transcription's note: on the screen it was printed as E. E. Cummings]
B - Allen Ginsburg
C - Walt Whitman
D - T. S. Eliot

Meredith asks Chad if he saw the movie. He did. Chad has a feeling - he knows it's not two of them (but doesn't say which ones). He says that "Walt Whitman" is jumping out at him. It's between C and D and he doesn't think he can gamble $15K on it. He wouldn't be mad if he found out that he had guessed right after walking away. Good thing, because it was Whitman.
I saw the movie but it's been many years. Time to PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:05 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$16K: No clue. PAF

$25K: My instinct was T.S. Eliot. Depending on what the 50:50 leaves will decide whether I leave with $16,000 or $1,000. I never would've guessed Whitman.
I am guessing that you had not seen the movie, or it did not make much of an impression.

Whitman was mentioned about a thousand times in the movie.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:14 am

Appa23 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$16K: No clue. PAF

I am guessing that you had not seen the movie, or it did not make much of an impression.
Are you saying that with tongue in cheek or not?
Appa23 wrote: Whitman was mentioned about a thousand times in the movie.
And I recall that he was the author of "Oh Captain, My Captain" which was a tribute to Lincoln, as featured in previous WWTBAM questions. My hunch was that the was the author of this quote, as well, although I wasn't absolutely certain.

Not having mastered the knack of memorizing every little detail of every movie I've ever seen... :roll: