Transcript 2/1/2008 - Tim Hastings

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 2/1/2008 - Tim Hastings

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:19 pm

Tim Hastings
Tonowanda, NY
Disk jockey

Meredith comments on Tim's outfit - he's wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He says that when you're from the Buffalo area you strive to get that "paradise look" to warm things up. He wants to rub the $1M check for luck. She gives it to him and he says, "Thanks, we're done here" and starts to get out of the chair.

$100 - Which of these girls' names is also the name for a type of gemstone?

A - Alice
B - Ruby
C - Patricia
D - Blingface

$200 - A person who is annoying another person is often said to be "ruffling" what?

A - fins
B - scales
C - feathers
D - antlers

$300 - Which of the following is not classified as a wind instrument?

A - Flute
B - French horn
C - bassoon
D - xylophone

$500 - "Bareknuckle" is a word often used to describe an equipment-free version of what sport?

A - tennis
B - baseball
C - boxing
D - golf

$1K - Which of these paint varieties has the shiniest finish?

A - gloss
B - eggshell
C - satin
D - flat

$2K - In the name of the cable TV channel C-SPAN, the letters "P" and "A" stand for what?

A - private access
B - public affairs
C - per annum
D - political archive

Tim takes a little longer to answer this one, and after the right answer is given Meredith asks if he's starting to sweat. Tim replies, "I'm ready," then calls out, "Powder! Powder!"

$4K - "Weird Al" Yankovic parodies a popular Joan Jett song in his paean to ice cream titled "I Love" what?

A - Pralines and Cream
B - Butter Pecan
C - Mint Chocolate Chip
D - Rocky Road

"I love rocky road," Tim says. Meredith replies, "It loves you back."

Tim rubs his hands together and says, "This is fun." Meredith responds, "It is fun when you're winning."

$8K - Which of these camera parts controls how much light passes through the lens?

A - aperture
B - film advance lever
C - pressure plate
D - rewind crank

$16K - "Great Lake State" is a common nickname for a U.S. state that also goes by which of these monikers?

A - Gopher state
B - Badger state
C - Wolverine state
D - Beaver state

Tim read something about the Badger State. He's not sure there even is a Gopher State. He mutters something, then says, "I hope I haven't influenced the audience because I really don't know. So don't listen to me." He then decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 7%
B - 14%
C - 59%
D - 20%

Meredith says they didn't listen to him at all. That doesn't mean the audience is right. But Tim says the New York audience is smart. "I'm with ya," he says, making "C" his final answer.

commercial break

The first time the show called Tim missed the call and thought he was standing on the shore watching the ship sail away. Meredith reveals that if that happens, the contestant is put back into the pool after 24 hours. His wife was in tears and he felt as if he'd been kicked in the gut. The neighbors knew he got the call because he yelled so loud. Meredith says he deserves to be here as evidenced by his brilliance in playing.

$25K - In fancy restaurants, which of the following is often known as an "amuse-bouche"?

A - after-dinner drink
B - small appetizer
C - dessert plate
D - basket of bread

Tim says that an after-dinner drink is an aperitif. He's leaning toward D and decides to use his 50/50, leaving A and B. Since his answer is gone, he decides to call his brother Rob. Rob says that Chad would make a good co-host for the show. Chad says, "Key word 'amuse-bouche' then spells the word. He then reads the question. Rob reads what is obviously a dictionary definition - someone else is laughing in the background. Chad shouts, "Yes! Yes!" and makes B his final answer.

commercial break

When Meredith asks Tim if he's ready to play, Tim replies, "I was born ready."

$50K - Counterculture icon Timothy Leary was the godfather of what Hollywood actress?

A - Drew Barrymore
B - Gwyneth Paltrow
C - Angelina Jolie
D - Winona Rider

Tim says that one is as good as the next, so he asks to switch the question.

$50K (STQ) - Which of these characters was not an opponent in Nintendo's popular boxing video game "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!"?

A - Von Kaiser
B - Super Macho Man
C - Soda Popinski
D - Max Payne

Tim has heard of the game. He makes B his final answer and leaves with $25K.

THE HORN!!!!!

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (ruby)
$200 - C (feathers)
$300 - D (xylophone)
$500 - C (boxing)
$1K - A (gloss)
$2K - B (public affairs)
$4K - D (Rocky Road)
$8K - A (aperture)
$16K - C (Wolverine state)
$25K - B (small appetizer)
m$50K - D (Winona Rider)
$50K (STQ) - D (Max Payne)

Kazoo65

Re: Transcript 2/1 Tim Hastings

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:36 pm

I guess he didn't bother to study state nicknames! FTR, the Badger State (which he almost went with) is Wisconsin, the Gopher State is Minnesota (the Univ. of Minnesota's football team is the Golden Gophers) and the Beaver State is Oregon. I was really glad when he ATAd.

I wouldn't have needed a lifeline until $25K. I'd be PaFing a French teacher. I had no clue. The 2 50K questions also gave me problems. I might ATA on the first one.
I'm just a game show nerd.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 2/1/2008 - Tim Hastings

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:14 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K - "Great Lake State" is a common nickname for a U.S. state that also goes by which of these monikers?

A - Gopher state
B - Badger state
C - Wolverine state
D - Beaver state

Tim read something about the Badger State. He's not sure there even is a Gopher State. He mutters something, then says, "I hope I haven't influenced the audience because I really don't know. So don't listen to me." He then decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 7%
B - 14%
C - 59%
D - 20%

Meredith says they didn't listen to him at all. That doesn't mean the audience is right. But Tim says the New York audience is smart. "I'm with ya," he says, making "C" his final answer.
Nice recovery from leading the audience!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The first time the show called Tim missed the call and thought he was standing on the shore watching the ship sail away. Meredith reveals that if that happens, the contestant is put back into the pool after 24 hours. His wife was in tears and he felt as if he'd been kicked in the gut. The neighbors knew he got the call because he yelled so loud.
Ack! The nightmare of everyone who has ever been in the Pool. :shock:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith says he deserves to be here as evidenced by his brilliance in playing.
I know Meredith is only trying to build up the contestant's confidence with comments like this, but I find it particularly grating to those of us who haven't gotten there yet. :evil:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In fancy restaurants, which of the following is often known as an "amuse-bouche"?

A - after-dinner drink
B - small appetizer
C - dessert plate
D - basket of bread

Tim says that an after-dinner drink is an aperitif. He's leaning toward D and decides to use his 50/50, leaving A and B. Since his answer is gone, he decides to call his brother Rob. Rob says that Chad would make a good co-host for the show. Chad says, "Key word 'amuse-bouche' then spells the word. He then reads the question. Rob reads what is obviously a dictionary definition - someone else is laughing in the background. Chad shouts, "Yes! Yes!" and makes B his final answer.
Nice googling, Rob!

IIRC, I learned this term from Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#4 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:28 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In fancy restaurants, which of the following is often known as an "amuse-bouche"?

A - after-dinner drink
B - small appetizer
C - dessert plate
D - basket of bread

Nice googling, Rob!

IIRC, I learned this term from Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day.
I learned it from Bravo's Top Chef, where one of last season's challenges was to create a new amuse-bouche from ingredients found in the pantry. I don't know why I was watching that, because my mom won't let me cook. I do like to eat, though.
Sou iu koto de.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 am

AnnieCamaro wrote:I learned it from Bravo's Top Chef, where one of last season's challenges was to create a new amuse-bouche from ingredients found in the pantry. I don't know why I was watching that, because my mom won't let me cook. I do like to eat, though.
You could always ask your mom to make it for you, then! :)

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#6 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
You could always ask your mom to make it for you, then! :)
I do. I also give her recipes I get from Take-Home Chef. I'm very helpful, although she does not always appreciate my generous assistance.
Sou iu koto de.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:57 am

$25K: Sounds like a good question for a New York audience.

$50K: The obvious answer seems to be Drew Barrymore, given that her father had a rather well-known drug and alcohol habit. Do the PAF and see if I can get a second opinion.

$50K #2: Although I never would've seen this question, I would've gotten it right. Max Payne is another video game character altogether.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:08 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tim Hastings
Tonowanda, NY
Disk jockey

Meredith comments on Tim's outfit - he's wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He says that when you're from the Buffalo area you strive to get that "paradise look" to warm things up. He wants to rub the $1M check for luck. She gives it to him and he says, "Thanks, we're done here" and starts to get out of the chair.
Tim seemed to be the ideal contestant in terms of his outgoing nature and vivacity.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - "Great Lake State" is a common nickname for a U.S. state that also goes by which of these monikers?

A - Gopher state
B - Badger state
C - Wolverine state
D - Beaver state

ATA results:
A - 7%
B - 14%
C - 59%
D - 20%

Tim definitely understands the use of lifelines - his comment about not prejudicing the audience clearly shows that.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The first time the show called Tim missed the call and thought he was standing on the shore watching the ship sail away. Meredith reveals that if that happens, the contestant is put back into the pool after 24 hours. His wife was in tears and he felt as if he'd been kicked in the gut. The neighbors knew he got the call because he yelled so loud. Meredith says he deserves to be here as evidenced by his brilliance in playing.
Is this something that "everyone" knew except me?

A - after-dinner drink
B - small appetizer
C - dessert plate
D - basket of bread

Again, a masterful demonstration of the right way to use a PAF lifeline. Tim could very easily be one of us. I'd have had to use a lifeline also - probably 50/50 since I'm sure it's not A or D and the "amuse" in the word could refer to "amusement", which I associate more with dessert than an appetizer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - Counterculture icon Timothy Leary was the godfather of what Hollywood actress?

A - Drew Barrymore
B - Gwyneth Paltrow
C - Angelina Jolie
D - Winona Rider

Tim says that one is as good as the next, so he asks to switch the question.
I'd have done the same thing.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) - Which of these characters was not an opponent in Nintendo's popular boxing video game "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!"?

A - Von Kaiser
B - Super Macho Man
C - Soda Popinski
D - Max Payne

Tim has heard of the game. He makes B his final answer and leaves with $25K.
I would still have my ATA lifeline and might as well use it here. It could be either C or D, but my hunch would have been D, since that's the name of a character in a more modern video game.

Oh, joy, "Play to Pay for your Wedding" week starts today.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:20 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The first time the show called Tim missed the call and thought he was standing on the shore watching the ship sail away. Meredith reveals that if that happens, the contestant is put back into the pool after 24 hours. His wife was in tears and he felt as if he'd been kicked in the gut. The neighbors knew he got the call because he yelled so loud. Meredith says he deserves to be here as evidenced by his brilliance in playing.
Is this something that "everyone" knew except me?
Perhaps you haven't had to pay attention to this nightmare rule, since you had your turn in the Hot Seat some years ago?

Yes, if they leave a message, you've got 24 hours to respond. What's not clear, if you've got that mysterious something that makes they give you The Call in the first place, is how likely it is that you'd be stranded in the pool and not called back again soon. Like the contestants who interrupted their vacations to run to NYC, wouldn't they have been just as entertaining on an episode that taped a week or two later?

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:40 am

Tim's appearance gets a one paragraph mention in the sixth item of this column:

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainmen ... 68865.html

Well, that's more news coverage than the Where Elses get! :wink: