Disney California Adventure to get extreme makeover

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Disney California Adventure to get extreme makeover

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:52 am

California Adventure theme park will receive a $1 billion, five-year redo that will see Disney build more family-friendly attractions.

Company said Wednesday that it will inject more of a Disney feel into the park that opened in 2001 adjacent to Disneyland and features rides and attractions themed to the Golden State.

Overhaul to take place over the next five years is said to come at a hefty pricetag of around $1 billion, roughly the same figure Disney spent to build the park, a source close to the situation said.

Expansion plans call for more family-friendly attractions, including a 12-acre Cars Land inspired by Pixar's animated pic "Cars" that will include three new rides and will considerably expand the park's footprint.

Guests will also encounter a new Walt Disney Story attraction upon entering the park that focuses heavily on the Disneyland founder and what inspired him to become an animation pioneer -- a theme to be introduced throughout the park.

In addition to "Cars," new toon-based rides will be based around "The Little Mermaid" and "Toy Story."

Extensive landscaping, new retail and dining, as well as a nighttime show for 9,000 guests are also is in the works.

Overall goal is to bolster California Adventure's appeal in order to make the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, which includes Disneyland, Downtown Disney and Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, a "multiday" destination for tourists.

"The success of the Disneyland Resort over the past few years provides us with both the opportunity and the need to invest for growth, to enhance and expand the experience for our guests and attract new visitors, while at the same time delivering attractive returns on the investment," said Disney prexy-CEO Robert Iger.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Disney California Adventure to get extreme makeover

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:59 am

If they want my business, they could reopen the family-friendly WWTBAM Play It! attraction. IIRC, that building is still standing empty, so it should cost next to nothing to reopen it. :(
Bob Juch wrote:Guests will also encounter a new Walt Disney Story attraction upon entering the park that focuses heavily on the Disneyland founder and what inspired him to become an animation pioneer -- a theme to be introduced throughout the park.
Sheesh. Is there anyone who buys a ticket to the park so they can shop at the freaking stores?

_TPTB_
Merry Man

#3 Post by _TPTB_ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:11 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:If they want my business, they could reopen the family-friendly WWTBAM Play It! attraction. IIRC, that building is still standing empty, so it should cost next to nothing to reopen it. :(

"A MAWG-free park is a family friendly park", that's what Walt always used to say. At least that's what Chairman_of_da_Bored always told me he said...

And don't worry, Marley. If those freaking plumbers will ever show up, we'll complete our renovation of the old Play It! studio into a new set of public restrooms....

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:12 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:If they want my business, they could reopen the family-friendly WWTBAM Play It! attraction. IIRC, that building is still standing empty, so it should cost next to nothing to reopen it. :(
Hear, hear!!!

Rec!!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:40 am

I personally prefer California Adventure to Disneyland. The food is better and I really like the fact that it is never as crowded as Disneyland.

I would like to see them do something with the WWTBAM building. If Password is on ABC, perhaps they can use the building to do a Password Play It game.