sea change in the heartland?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

sea change in the heartland?

#1 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:18 am

This is not intended to spark a political debate, though it might do so.

I work in a GSA-leased building that is home for the Corps of Engineers (my employer). It also includes the FBI, IRS, and the processing center for those entering the military. In the basement is a cafeteria.

When President Bush ordered the attack on Iraq, the manager of the cafeteria was enthusiastically behind the effort. He changed the name of a breakfast entree to "Freedom Toast" and also used "Freedom Fries." Lee Greenwood's song, "God Bless the USA" was often played on the CD player the manager has.

Today, however, when I went down for my oatmeal and juice the music on the CD was much different. I heard both "War" by Edwin Starr and also "Fixin' to Die Rag" by Country Joe and the Fish. And the menu items have reverted to their pre-war identities as well. It made me wonder if the manager had rethought his position on the Iraq situation.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: sea change in the heartland?

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:22 am

earendel wrote: And the menu items have reverted to their pre-war identities as well. It made me wonder if the manager had rethought his position on the Iraq situation.
At least he's rethought his position on silly menu item name changes.

Do they still serve "Liberty Cabbage"? :roll:

Ronnnnn
Merry Man

#3 Post by Ronnnnn » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:28 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Do they still serve "Liberty Cabbage"? :roll:

I have some leftt overr fromm 1944. I thinkk it'ss stilll inn thee fridge...

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 am

I'd much rather the change be seen in the voting booth.

I'm just sayin'.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 am

oh, I thought you might be talking about the changes in Iraq, it would appear that there has been a significant change on the ground.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

7yrscollegedownthedrain

#6 Post by 7yrscollegedownthedrain » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:59 am

perhaps he just discovered there is no Haliburton stock in his portfolio...
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:05 am

earendel wrote: oday, however, when I went down for my oatmeal and juice the music on the CD was much different. I heard both "War" by Edwin Starr and also "Fixin' to Die Rag" by Country Joe and the Fish. And the menu items have reverted to their pre-war identities as well. It made me wonder if the manager had rethought his position on the Iraq situation.
Perhaps people weren't buying 'patriotic" menu items as their own quiet way of protesting the United States' involvement in Iraq and profits were down.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Perhaps people weren't buying 'patriotic" menu items as their own quiet way of protesting the United States' involvement in Iraq and profits were down.
Given how many military types are in the building (recruiters for all of the services as well as the "green suits" assigned to the Corps, I find it difficult to believe that he would be affected by a downturn in business because of his product name changes.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:23 am

Ear, how many green suiters do they have in Louisville District (main office)?

We only have two here, plus one who is stationed in Colorado Springs, and we are a large district.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:31 am

Appa23 wrote:Ear, how many green suiters do they have in Louisville District (main office)?

We only have two here, plus one who is stationed in Colorado Springs, and we are a large district.
Aside from the DE and DDE we have two or three who work either in Program Management or Engineering. They're not permanent employees - they come on a temporary assignment (usually no more than three months).