plague of stink bugs

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BigDrawMan

plague of stink bugs

#1 Post by BigDrawMan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 am

anyone else have a stink bug plague?

i am killing a few dozen a day

i kilt one in church

i kilt one on my toothbrush

i kilt one in my shop that I spray painted blue last year

i saw them covering a roadside sign advertising a stink bug exterminator

i dont thin I can kill all 87,000,000,000,000 myself
but i will try
I dont torture mallards all the time, but when I do, I prefer waterboarding.

-Carl the Duck

christie1111
11:11

Re: plague of stink bugs

#2 Post by christie1111 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:53 am

Sounds stinky!

No stink bugs here.

Although the gnats were bad on the back nine of the golf course yesterday. Still was a nice golf day though.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

BigDrawMan

#3 Post by BigDrawMan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 am

christie1111 wrote:Sounds stinky!

No stink bugs here.

Although the gnats were bad on the back nine of the golf course yesterday. Still was a nice golf day though.

they should be arriving very soon
I intuit they will cover the nutmeg state by october 2
I dont torture mallards all the time, but when I do, I prefer waterboarding.

-Carl the Duck

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:45 am

BigDrawMan wrote:
christie1111 wrote:Sounds stinky!

No stink bugs here.

they should be arriving very soon
I intuit they will cover the nutmeg state by october 2

Can't that duck help with the problem? Even the blues ones?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#5 Post by secondchance » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:19 pm

I don't know what a stink bug is... maybe they don't visit southern CA- and I don't remember any from my Illinois days, either. Do they stink all the time, or only when squished?

Our latest problem here is a hovering gang of little flies... they're smaller than regular flies, and they don't make any noise- but they just hang around the same small area under the back porch roof ALL DAY LONG, and the gang is getting bigger every day. Fly strips do no good, and spraying and turning on the porch's ceiling fan is just a temporary fix... Anyone else have this fly problem or suggestions how to deal with it? Do these "special" flies have a name?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:21 pm

secondchance wrote:I don't know what a stink bug is... maybe they don't visit southern CA- and I don't remember any from my Illinois days, either. Do they stink all the time, or only when squished?

Our latest problem here is a hovering gang of little flies... they're smaller than regular flies, and they don't make any noise- but they just hang around the same small area under the back porch roof ALL DAY LONG, and the gang is getting bigger every day. Fly strips do no good, and spraying and turning on the porch's ceiling fan is just a temporary fix... Anyone else have this fly problem or suggestions how to deal with it? Do these "special" flies have a name?

Have you tried using the rake......? :P

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#7 Post by secondchance » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:41 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
secondchance wrote:I don't know what a stink bug is... maybe they don't visit southern CA- and I don't remember any from my Illinois days, either. Do they stink all the time, or only when squished?

Have you tried using the rake......? :P

lb13
Doi! Now why didn't I think of that... !

:lol:
Last edited by secondchance on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm not sure, beedums, but I don't think "plague" is the correct collective noun for stink bugs. "Putrescence," perhaps. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:32 pm

secondchance wrote:
Do these "special" flies have a name?
Are they so small that you don't even know they're there until you walk into a cloud of them? We have those. Their official Oklahoma name is "no-see-ums."
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#10 Post by secondchance » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:26 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
secondchance wrote:
Are they so small that you don't even know they're there until you walk into a cloud of them? We have those. Their official Oklahoma name is "no-see-ums."
Oh, no- they're definitely visable- and a pain in the ass. They're only slightly smaller than regular flies. And they just hang around in a big group and hover. And hover. And hover.

I don't think we have no-see-ums here. (ha, love the name.) These are no-hear-ums. And bugging-the-hell-outta-me-ums - no pun intended. Wait, I changed my mind and intend it. They seems to like to hang out right in front of entrances, forcing one to sweep their arms around just to get in and out the door. Argghhh

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 am

secondchance wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
secondchance wrote:
Oh, no- they're definitely visable- and a pain in the ass. They're only slightly smaller than regular flies. And they just hang around in a big group and hover. And hover. And hover.

I don't think we have no-see-ums here. (ha, love the name.) These are no-hear-ums. And bugging-the-hell-outta-me-ums - no pun intended. Wait, I changed my mind and intend it. They seems to like to hang out right in front of entrances, forcing one to sweep their arms around just to get in and out the door. Argghhh

Helloooo! Get rid of the body.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Jeemie

#12 Post by Jeemie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm

This is a stink bug.

And I, personally, don't notice their odor, although a lot of people I know really complain about them.

Which is weird, becuase I have a very well-developed sense of smell, and usually can smell things that are in such trace amounts that nobody else can smell them.

Here's a story about them. They came from Asia, and have so few natural predators they have spread rapidly.

I live near where they were first spotted/identified in the US- in Allentown, PA. The story says they have reached California.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Jeemie wrote:
This is a stink bug.

And I, personally, don't notice their odor, although a lot of people I know really complain about them.

Which is weird, because I have a very well-developed sense of smell, and usually can smell things that are in such trace amounts that nobody else can smell them.

Here's a story about them. They came from Asia, and have so few natural predators they have spread rapidly.

I live near where they were first spotted/identified in the US- in Allentown, PA. The story says they have reached California.
Note that a bedbug is a very close relative.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#14 Post by secondchance » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:46 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
secondchance wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:

Helloooo! Get rid of the body.

t.
What's wrong with me today~ I can't even think of the obvious! :)

So I looked it up, it seems they're called "cluster flies." little bastards...

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 am

The Hudson Valley has just started to get the stink bugs. It affects us because they really mess with fruit trees. Once they hit our clients, we will have to do many more pesticide sprays to keep our clients fruit blemish free. They will also damage shrubs and small specimen trees.

They say the best way to deal with them in your home is to have a vacuum cleaner just for the stick bugs and vacuum them up and wait for them to die in the bag and them dump them.