An Epitaph for Global Warming Hysteria

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Re: An Epitaph for Global Warming Hysteria

#151 Post by Spock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:46 am

Found a book that is the kind of thing I was looking for in the Kilimanjaro thread and looks to be the kind of thing I am after in Eye on the Land.

http://eyeontheland.blogspot.com/

"Landscapes and Cycles: An Environmentalist's Journey to Climate Skepticism" by Jim Steele

Pull quotes from the Amazon description
>>>>
"Controlling our carbon footprints will never address the most pressing issues of habitat loss and watershed degradation."
I bolded this because it is so fundamental to, well, everything.

"Steele highlights how faulty science and bad models have misguided critical conservation efforts and misrepresented conservation success. Most distressing Landscapes and Cycles reveals how global warming advocates have opposed appropriate conservation efforts simply because the concerned scientists did not blame climate change. "

Bob Juch

#152 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Spock wrote:Found a book that is the kind of thing I was looking for in the Kilimanjaro thread and looks to be the kind of thing I am after in Eye on the Land.

http://eyeontheland.blogspot.com/

"Landscapes and Cycles: An Environmentalist's Journey to Climate Skepticism" by Jim Steele

Pull quotes from the Amazon description
>>>>
"Controlling our carbon footprints will never address the most pressing issues of habitat loss and watershed degradation."
I bolded this because it is so fundamental to, well, everything.

"Steele highlights how faulty science and bad models have misguided critical conservation efforts and misrepresented conservation success. Most distressing Landscapes and Cycles reveals how global warming advocates have opposed appropriate conservation efforts simply because the concerned scientists did not blame climate change. "
I'm not sure how to interpret, "Most distressing Landscapes and Cycles reveals how global warming advocates have opposed appropriate conservation efforts simply because the concerned scientists did not blame climate change." There are advocates for global warming? They're opposing conservation of land because scientists are not blaming climate change for what? :?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

franktangredi

#153 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:40 am

I blame George Zimmerman on global warming.

smilergrogan

#154 Post by smilergrogan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:15 am

franktangredi wrote:I blame George Zimmerman on global warming.
These threads need a new title. How about "Crank vs. Frank"?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#155 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 pm

--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

themanintheseersuckersuit

#156 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

--Bob
NASA founded in 1958, does this prove NASA caused Global Warming?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#157 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:23 pm

aka recovery from Little Ice Age
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#158 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:49 pm

"Weather practically everywhere is being caused by climate change," Holdren said.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wir ... z2tKckujoe
Suitguy is not bitter.

#159 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:21 am

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-w ... 04122.html
The Canadian Ice Service, an arm of Environment Canada, said there is 10 per cent more ice this year compared to the 30-year average.
"We probably haven't seen a winter this bad as far as ice for the past 25 years," said Voight, referring to both the amount and thickness of the ice.
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#160 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:02 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:https://ca.news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-w ... 04122.html
The Canadian Ice Service, an arm of Environment Canada, said there is 10 per cent more ice this year compared to the 30-year average.
"We probably haven't seen a winter this bad as far as ice for the past 25 years," said Voight, referring to both the amount and thickness of the ice.
So? What counts is when it forms and when it melts.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

#161 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:https://ca.news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-w ... 04122.html
It's that something someone predicted or a post facto explanation ?
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#162 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:25 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
It's that something someone predicted or a post facto explanation ?
Huh?

#163 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:37 am

I keep seeing predictions about future climate, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/scien ... ience&_r=0 for example this is 2014 the year Al Gore suggested we would have an ice free Arctic summer. When such prediction fail to materialize the warmers then manufacture some explanation. Now that there is higher than normal sea ice coverage in the Arctic along with extensive mutli year ice, you seem to suggest that this is progressing as foreseen. I was wondering if anyone had previously suggested that expansion of ice coverage and multi year ice was proof of the coming Global Warming disaster.
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#164 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:05 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I keep seeing predictions about future climate, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/scien ... ience&_r=0 for example this is 2014 the year Al Gore suggested we would have an ice free Arctic summer. When such prediction fail to materialize the warmers then manufacture some explanation. Now that there is higher than normal sea ice coverage in the Arctic along with extensive mutli year ice, you seem to suggest that this is progressing as foreseen. I was wondering if anyone had previously suggested that expansion of ice coverage and multi year ice was proof of the coming Global Warming disaster.
This should explain things better than The Daily Caller: https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#165 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:12 pm

The West Antarctic Ice Sheet has begun to collapse. The process appears irreversible. The resulting increase in sea level is expected to be approximately 10 feet. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

#166 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 12, 2014 12:27 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

#167 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

#168 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm

This really does seem to fit the hysteria theme
"East Antarctica may become a large contributor to future sea-level rise on timescales beyond a century," the report's authors write in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Climate Change.
Eastern Antarctica has enough ice to raise global sea levels by 53 m if it all melted, although even most worst-case scenarios discount such a drastic melt.
Still, the extent of ice loss in Antarctica is not as studied, with scientists still not sure how much climate change is affecting the region.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... res/27270/
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#169 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 pm

You keep cherry-picking sentences that you like from articles that you like.

One thing that you can't dispute is that the vast majority of climate scientists say it's getting warmer and that we're going to be in big trouble sooner or later.

If you saw ten doctors and only nine of them said you have cancer and will die soon you'd believe the tenth who said you don't have to worry.

#170 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 12, 2014 3:31 pm

One thing that you can't dispute is that the vast majority of climate scientists say it's getting warmer and that we're going to be in big trouble sooner or later.
that's two things.

The vast majority of climate scientists say its getting warmer( as it has since the LIA,) they DO NOT say that we are going to be big trouble sooner or later. You are confusing that with stories that say "if it continues to warm", then this or that will happen

I generally agree with this statement by Tom Nelson
1. CO2 is a greenhouse gas
2. Greenhouse gases have a warming effect
3. Human activity has caused atmospheric CO2 to increase over the last 100+ years
4. The Earth warmed during the 20th century
5. Global sea levels rose about 7.5 inches since 1901

6. We can't burn fossil fuels forever without running out
7. Alternative energy research is a good thing
8. Energy efficiency is a good thing
9. Destroying the environment is a bad thing
10. I want the best, safest world possible for future generations

Some things I don't believe:
11. The Earth is a more dangerous place at 61F than at 59F.
12. Carbon dioxide taxes can prevent bad weather
13. Increased CO2 causes drought
Suitguy is not bitter.

#171 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Andy Revkin @Revkin
Awful misuse of "Collapse" in headlines on centuries-long ice loss in W. Antarctica. See rates in papers. Same as '09 http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... ow-affair/
1:54 PM - 12 May 2014 Manhattan, NY, United States
Suitguy is not bitter.

mrkelley23

#172 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:12 pm

that's two things.

The vast majority of climate scientists say its getting warmer( as it has since the LIA,) they DO NOT say that we are going to be big trouble sooner or later. You are confusing that with stories that say "if it continues to warm", then this or that will happen

3. Human activity has caused atmospheric CO2 to increase over the last 100+ years

Strongly agree with #s 1-10, and, like Spock, I wish we could get more people focused on what we agree on as far as #10, instead of shouting across the barricades.

11 is true, but not for all life forms, whether people want to believe it or not. The word "dangerous" is a little tricky.
12 is irrelevant and snarky. No one is arguing that, except possibly the Al Gores of the world.
13 is certainly open to debate, and not factual. Same as predictions like "warming Earth produces more hurricanes" (probably not true) and "warming earth produces more powerful hurricanes" (possible, but not anywhere near accepted as factual yet.) But I do think it is a fair statement to say that increased CO2 causes warming, and warming is going to have unpredictable effects on global climate and regional weather patterns, including drought/flooding cycles.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#173 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 12, 2014 5:05 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
that's two things.

Strongly agree with #s 1-10, and, like Spock, I wish we could get more people focused on what we agree on as far as #10, instead of shouting across the barricades.

11 is true, but not for all life forms, whether people want to believe it or not. The word "dangerous" is a little tricky.
12 is irrelevant and snarky. No one is arguing that, except possibly the Al Gores of the world.
13 is certainly open to debate, and not factual. Same as predictions like "warming Earth produces more hurricanes" (probably not true) and "warming earth produces more powerful hurricanes" (possible, but not anywhere near accepted as factual yet.) But I do think it is a fair statement to say that increased CO2 causes warming, and warming is going to have unpredictable effects on global climate and regional weather patterns, including drought/flooding cycles.
Also: Increased warming produces more water vapor in the atmosphere and that produces more warming.

#174 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 12, 2014 6:00 pm

The sensitivity of global temperature to increases in CO2 is what the debate is all about. The doom and gloom comes from the climate models
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#175 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 12, 2014 7:36 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:The sensitivity of global temperature to increases in CO2 is what the debate is all about. The doom and gloom comes from the climate models
Nope, the "greenhouse effect" is caused by any and all of water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and even ozone.