An Epitaph for Global Warming Hysteria

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: An Epitaph for Global Warming Hysteria

#201 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:06 am

Spock wrote:http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... on-capture

Long article by Jonathon Franzen about how the focus on "Climate Change" comes at the expense of conservation. Franzen is obviously not a conservative but his article (very closely) fits/describes my conservation views.

I suspect that many of the "Environmentalists" here have little knowledge of, or interest in, actual on-the-ground conservation.

Pull Quote>>

But climate change is seductive to organizations that want to be taken seriously. Besides being a ready-made meme, it’s usefully imponderable: while peer-reviewed scientific estimates put the annual American death toll of birds from collisions and from outdoor cats at more than three billion, no individual bird death can be definitively attributed to climate change (since local and short-term weather patterns have nonlinear causes). Although you could demonstrably save the lives of the birds now colliding with your windows or being killed by your cats, reducing your carbon footprint even to zero saves nothing.<<<
I'm not worried about dead birds, I'm worried about rising sea levels. Of course I should have nice oceanfront property in Arizona soon.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#202 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Bob Juch wrote:I'm not worried about dead birds, I'm worried about rising sea levels. Of course I should have nice oceanfront property in Arizona soon.
Just as promised, I'm sure.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

themanintheseersuckersuit

#203 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Bob78164 wrote:The West Antarctic Ice Sheet has begun to collapse. The process appears irreversible. The resulting increase in sea level is expected to be approximately 10 feet. --Bob
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/0 ... al-warming

After measuring geothermal heat under the West Antarctic ice sheet for the first time, researchers found it was “significantly higher” than data from around the region had previously indicated.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#204 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:52 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The West Antarctic Ice Sheet has begun to collapse. The process appears irreversible. The resulting increase in sea level is expected to be approximately 10 feet. --Bob

After measuring geothermal heat under the West Antarctic ice sheet for the first time, researchers found it was “significantly higher” than data from around the region had previously indicated.
But is the heat higher than it used to be? If not, then the geothermal energy input hasn't changed, whereas we know that the climate has warmed. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#205 Post by Estonut » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:10 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The West Antarctic Ice Sheet has begun to collapse. The process appears irreversible. The resulting increase in sea level is expected to be approximately 10 feet.

But is the heat higher than it used to be? If not, then the geothermal energy input hasn't changed, whereas we know that the climate has warmed.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

#206 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:52 am

Bob78164 wrote:

But is the heat higher than it used to be? If not, then the geothermal energy input hasn't changed, whereas we know that the climate has warmed. --Bob
Pro tip; if a localized phenomenon is observed it is not necessary to invoke a global cause.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#207 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:46 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/0 ... al-warming

But is the heat higher than it used to be? If not, then the geothermal energy input hasn't changed, whereas we know that the climate has warmed.
I saw that. I read it as saying geothermal heat was higher than previously believed, not that it was higher than it used to be. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

#208 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:24 pm

West Antarctica is the only part of Antarctica that is showing any signs of melting which would suggest that the WA melt not evidence of global warming
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#209 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:14 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:West Antarctica is the only part of Antarctica that is showing any signs of melting which would suggest that the WA melt not evidence of global warming
No it doesn't. It just suggests that West Antarctica is particularly sensitive to temperature increases. --Bob

mrkelley23

#210 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:01 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:West Antarctica is the only part of Antarctica that is showing any signs of melting which would suggest that the WA melt not evidence of global warming

You and I must not be reading the same article. Leave it to CSM to bury the sentences that contradict their headline several paragraphs down:

"But Andrew Fisher – Earth and planetary sciences professor and lead author on the paper published Friday in Science Advances – was quick to(sic) urge caution on the study’s implications: the rapid melting of the ice sheet in recent years cannot be fully explained by high core earth temperatures, because the heat was present as the ice sheet was forming, he told UC Santa Cruz in a news release.

Instead, these temperatures may have merely set the stage for global warming to do its work.

“The ice sheet developed and evolved with the geothermal heat flux coming up from below,” Fisher said. “It's part of the system. But this could help explain why the ice sheet is so unstable. When you add the effects of global warming, things can start to change quickly.”
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

#211 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Mike would you concede that the air temperature on the WAIS are to low to melt the ice?
Suitguy is not bitter.

mrkelley23

#212 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:41 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Mike would you concede that the air temperature on the WAIS are to low to melt the ice?
I wish I knew enough to concede that. I don't. All I knew was that you seemed to be saying something that was diametrically opposed to what the author of the study was saying. I do know that Earth's systems can be pretty delicate. What this article seems to be saying is that the temperature underneath the ice may have been high for some time, but it's the warming atmosphere that has set it into this melting cycle. The air temp by itself may not be enough to do the deed, but in combination with the already warm temperatures underneath, it was enough.

That's a pretty uninformed opinion, though.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#213 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:06 am

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#214 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:53 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Photoshoped Image
You DO realize that the graffiti was Photoshopped onto the picture, right? Probably not. You probably don't care because it helps support your worldview. Lies are the truth if they tell your story.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#215 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:11 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Photoshoped Image
You DO realize that the graffiti was Photoshopped onto the picture, right? Probably not. You probably don't care because it helps support your worldview. Lies are the truth if they tell your story.
No, it was not Photoshopped. It's Street Art.

BackInTex

#216 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:48 am

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Photoshoped Image
No, it was not Photoshopped. It's Street Art.
Sorry, you're wrong. Examine the photo closely. You will see 'noise' around the text on the wall and the reflections. That is clear indication that the resolution of the applied 'patch' was not consistent with the underlying image. When the photo layers were merged and the .jpeg compression routine applied, you get that 'noise'. Those portions of the photo are not part of the original.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#217 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:35 am

Sorry, you're wrong. Examine the photo closely. You will see 'noise' around the text on the wall and the reflections. That is clear indication that the resolution of the applied 'patch' was not consistent with the underlying image. When the photo layers were merged and the .jpeg compression routine applied, you get that 'noise'. Those portions of the photo are not part of the original.
And wouldn't "believe" be "mirror imaged"? Or am I missing something?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#218 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:59 am

tlynn78 wrote:
And wouldn't "believe" be "mirror imaged"? Or am I missing something?
Well, sort of, flipped on the vertical. But the "B", "E", and "I" would be the same. There is too much wave distortion to say the "L" or "V" are not correct. The pixel distortion tells the truth.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#219 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Not sure how the Chicken Little crowd will spin this...

NEW NASA DATA SHOWS POLAR ICE HAS NOT RECEDED SINCE 1979

Maybe they will say NASA doesn't know what they are doing.

Maybe they will treat this as the man behind the curtain. "Ignore the man behind the curtain!"
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#220 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:31 pm

BackInTex wrote:Not sure how the Chicken Little crowd will spin this...

Maybe they will treat this as the man behind the curtain. "Ignore the man behind the curtain!"
Or maybe they'll tell the truth: the author doesn't know how to (or is unwilling to honestly) read the data.

Chris Mooney wrote:So in sum: 1) total (or global) polar sea ice is in fact declining, according to both NASA and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s Cryosphere Today; 2) if you analyze the Arctic and Antarctic separately — which makes more sense to do, as very different things are happening to sea ice in the two places — you realize that the Arctic sea ice decline in particular is very stark; 3) there is also bad news about the melting of ice atop land, based on data that are completely outside of this discussion, but that are perhaps the most worrying of all.
The article you linked is a couple of months old. It really didn't take long for someone to explain why it's so wrong. --Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#221 Post by Estonut » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:44 am

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:Not sure how the Chicken Little crowd will spin this...

Or maybe they'll tell the truth: the author doesn't know how to (or is unwilling to honestly) read the data.

Chris Mooney wrote:So in sum: 1) total (or global) polar sea ice is in fact declining, according to both NASA and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s Cryosphere Today; 2) if you analyze the Arctic and Antarctic separately — which makes more sense to do, as very different things are happening to sea ice in the two places — you realize that the Arctic sea ice decline in particular is very stark; 3) there is also bad news about the melting of ice atop land, based on data that are completely outside of this discussion, but that are perhaps the most worrying of all.
The article you linked is a couple of months old. It really didn't take long for someone to explain why it's so wrong.
Is this Chris Mooney the English major with no formal education in science? You've been "framed."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#222 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:20 am

Estonut wrote:Is this Chris Mooney the English major with no formal education in science? You've been "framed."
You do realize that an ad hominem attack isn't actually a response to what he's saying, don't you? --Bob

#223 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#224 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Batten down the hatches, stock up on supplies, and make sure your loved ones are safe…but more importantly, prepare for some epic surf. The scientists have spoken and they’ve confirmed it—we could be in for one of the largest El Niño seasons of recorded history. That means abnormally warm water in the winter, torrential downpours and, of course, code red surf. Storms will be forming throughout the summer and into the winter in uncharacteristically warm waters around the equator, sending large purple blobs plummeting towards the coastlines of Central America, Mexico and California.
http://www.theinertia.com/surf/code-red ... d-history/

#225 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:35 pm

President Obama will ask Congress Tuesday to speed up the construction of new icebreaker ships in order to protect U.S. interests and resources in the Arctic, amid growing concern that the U.S. has ceded influence to Russia in the strategic waters.
Suitguy is not bitter.