Hey eyegor!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

Hey eyegor!

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:57 am

In December, I will be coming up your way for an Albany River Rats game. It is for an 'I' event (ice hockey) for our ABC game. I want to have Indian food before the game. Do you know of any good Indian restaurant around the old Pepsi Arena?

eyégor
???????

#2 Post by eyégor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:43 pm

This is a difficult question, because of a few things. The 3 Indian restaurants in downtown Albany are all about 1 mile west of the now Times Union Center.

The best always was Shalimar, at 31 Central Avenue, but I have heard that their food has slipped a little lately. I haven't noticed it, but then I only eat take-out from there when I can sucker my daughter into picking it up.

Ghandi is right down the street at 1 Central. It is pleasant enough, but I have always heard that the food is not as good as the other downtown choices. I haven't eaten there, so this is not first hand info.

The third option is the Tandoor Palace at 432 Madison Avenue. The food his is good. Unfortunately, the service is so non-intrusive as to be almost non-existent. I have heard that it has shown significant improvement recently.

Unfortunately, non are within walking distance, unless you feel like climbing the hill. If you do walk, the closest & easiest to walk to would be the last choice, because Madison is only a block south of the arena.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:13 pm

You were very helpful.

I did not mean within walking distance. We will be driving north, to arrive at the arena at 7:00. We can drive to the restaurant first and then drive to the arena.

Distance is a way second to good Indian food.

Thanks for your suggestions - I will let you know which one we eat at and how we rated the meal.

If you have other suggestions now that you know we will drive to the place, let me know.