Transcript 06/13/2011 Mark Lion

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/13/2011 Mark Lion

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Mark Lion
New York, NY
H.S. English teacher
Expecting a baby girl
Mere asked about Meredith as a baby name
Mark: He and his wife are both M (Marilyn) so they were steering away from another M name, but if he wins the million it might be a different story

Topic Tree (pre-randomized):
10 That's Deep
9 Star Trek
8 Cat Food
7 Autumn Events
6 Sports Traditions
5 American Idol
4 On the Web
3 Saving Face
2 Twisted Words
1 Siesta

Topic Tree: (Randomized)
4 On the Web
3 Saving Face
1 Siesta
8 Cat Food
2 Twisted Words
6 Sports Traditions
9 Star Trek
5 American Idol
7 Autumn Events
10 That's Deep

Question 1 - Level 10 That's Deep
Reaching depths of more than 1.3 miles beneath the surface, the world's deepest cave is the Krubera Cave in what country?
A. Mozambique B. Bolivia
C. Indonesia D. Georgia
Spoiler
Mark is laughing, not because he knows it because he does not. Mark knows with the new rules the first question might be the most difficult one, and he might have gotten the most difficult one right here.
JTQ 1
Answer and value
D. Georgia
Value: $1000 jumped
Bank: 0
Question 2 - Level 7 Autumn Events
Following a September Harvest Moon, the full moon in October is commonly known as what?
A. Haystack Moon B. Dairy Moon
C. Shadow Moon D. Hunter's Moon
Spoiler
Mark was thinking Hunter's Moon but said the only reasoning was that hunters would use the moonlight at night
JTQ 2
Answer and value
D. Hunter's Moon
Value: $7000 jumped

Question 3 - Level 5 American Idol
Which of these notable "American Idol" alums won the season in which he or she competed?
A. Clay Aiken B. Carrie Underwood
C. Jennifer Hudson D. Chris Daughtry

Mark thinks the audience would know this and that they are wondering how he made it to this show.
ATA
A-8% B-82% C-5% D-5%
Answer and value
B. Carrie Underwood
Value: $25K!
Bank: $25K
Commercial break

Question 4 - Level 9 Star Trek
The 2009 film "Star Trek" finally established that Lieutenant Uhura's first name is what?
A. Aisha B. Nyota
C. Penda D. Samara
Spoiler
Mark said that "Samara" is talking to him, but only with the deepest intuition.
Mark said he would guess.
Mark changed his mind and said he would walk.
Answer and value
B. Nyota
Value: not shown
Bank: Mark walked with $12,500

jarnon

Re: Transcript 06/13/2011 Mark Lion

#2 Post by jarnon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:39 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Mark thinks the audience would know this and that they are wondering how he made it to this show.
I like his sense of humor. I suppose TPTB did too.

Second easiest $12,500 ever won.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:32 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Mark Lion
New York, NY
H.S. English teacher
Expecting a baby girl
Mere asked about Meredith as a baby name
Mark: He and his wife are both M (Marilyn) so they were steering away from another M name, but if he wins the million it might be a different story
Looks like this week is going to be taken up by WE® contestants. And since they're not in sweeps, I wonder if any of the contestants will do well.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 1 - Level 10 That's Deep
Reaching depths of more than 1.3 miles beneath the surface, the world's deepest cave is the Krubera Cave in what country?
A. Mozambique B. Bolivia
C. Indonesia D. Georgia
Spoiler
Mark is laughing, not because he knows it because he does not. Mark knows with the new rules the first question might be the most difficult one, and he might have gotten the most difficult one right here.
JTQ 1
Answer and value
D. Georgia
Value: $1000 jumped
I have no idea and Mark was right, this would have been the most difficult question. Like him I'll JTQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 4 - Level 9 Star Trek
The 2009 film "Star Trek" finally established that Lieutenant Uhura's first name is what?
A. Aisha B. Nyota
C. Penda D. Samara
Spoiler
Mark said that "Samara" is talking to him, but only with the deepest intuition.
Mark said he would guess.
Mark changed his mind and said he would walk.
Answer and value
B. Nyota
Value: not shown
Bank: Mark walked with $12,500
Both Sulu and Uhura were not given first names in the original series; "Hikaru" for Sulu was established in a Trek novel but not officially set "in canon" until STVI. I wonder if Mark might have been thinking of the FASA Trek role-playing game, because in that setting, her first name was Samara.

Hmmm...three contestants and only one question answered without the use of a lifeline.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:42 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 2 - Level 7 Autumn Events
Following a September Harvest Moon, the full moon in October is commonly known as what?
Spoiler
Mark was thinking Hunter's Moon but said the only reasoning was that hunters would use the moonlight at night
JTQ 2
Answer and value
D. Hunter's Moon
Value: $7000 jumped
Meredith gave Mark credit for reasoning out the right answer, but Mark didn't really. If every month's full moon has a unique name, then any full moon would be able to provide light to hunters at night. (But who goes hunting at night, anyway?)

OTOH, October's full moon might reasonable be called a Hunter's Moon because that's when hunting season starts. (Depending on jurisdiction, the game being pursued, and the method of hunting.)

vettech

#5 Post by vettech » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:18 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: (But who goes hunting at night, anyway?)
Is there a poacher's moon? :wink:

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:23 pm

vettech wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: (But who goes hunting at night, anyway?)
Is there a poacher's moon? :wink:
As a matter of fact, there is.

"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

vettech

#7 Post by vettech » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Always learning something new, whether I want to or not. :lol:

Steven Sousa

#8 Post by Steven Sousa » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Is there some master list of Bored acronyms? I don't know what a WE is, and I've seen a few others, I think one of them is WOQW or something like that.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Steven Sousa wrote:Is there some master list of Bored acronyms? I don't know what a WE is, and I've seen a few others, I think one of them is WOQW or something like that.
There isn't. WE/WE is "Where Else/What Else." It's a comment on the prevalence of contestants from the New York City viewing area (Where Else?) who are actors, aspiring actors, or have other jobs in the performing arts (What Else?)

WWOQ is Wacky Weed-Out Question. Others will disagree with me about the first W. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#10 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Steven Sousa wrote:Is there some master list of Bored acronyms? I don't know what a WE is, and I've seen a few others, I think one of them is WOQW or something like that.
There isn't. WE/WE is "Where Else/What Else." It's a comment on the prevalence of contestants from the New York City viewing area (Where Else?) who are actors, aspiring actors, or have other jobs in the performing arts (What Else?)

WWOQ is Wacky Weed-Out Question. Others will disagree with me about the first W. --Bob

I know all about the wacky weed...oh, this is something else, nevermind. OTOH, I always thought it was the Wicked Weed Out Question.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Bob78164 wrote:WWOQ is Wacky Weed-Out Question. Others will disagree with me about the first W. --Bob
It is not! WWOQ is Wicked Weed-Out Question. You keep suggesting this other meaning for the acronym, but since you were not one of the people who actually used the acronym (before others started asking for the definition) you really ought to concede the definition given by those who have used it.

And, if you're trying to reason it out, every WWOQ is not necessarily a "wacky" question. Wicked, on the other hand, has two different meaning that both apply. It can mean that the question is "wicked hard" and also that TPTB are being wicked for inserting such an inappropriately difficult question for its place in the stack.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:39 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:WWOQ is Wacky Weed-Out Question. Others will disagree with me about the first W. --Bob
It is not! WWOQ is Wicked Weed-Out Question.
See what I mean? :mrgreen: --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
It is not! WWOQ is Wicked Weed-Out Question.
Bob likes it when we disagree with him.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:51 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: It is not! WWOQ is Wicked Weed-Out Question.
No wonder I'm always happy. :wink: --Bob

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:26 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: It is not! WWOQ is Wicked Weed-Out Question.
Yes, but I always thought Bob was a reasonable person, despite what may be said about him in the political threads.

themanwho

#16 Post by themanwho » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:52 am

It seems that WE/WE and WWOQ are the two acronyms that are most likely to provoke the "Is there a list of Bored acronyms?" question. Are there any others that are "Bored-exclusive"? (MAWG and WGAS are both common enough elsewhere.)

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#17 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:22 am

themanwho wrote:It seems that WE/WE and WWOQ are the two acronyms that are most likely to provoke the "Is there a list of Bored acronyms?" question. Are there any others that are "Bored-exclusive"? (MAWG and WGAS are both common enough elsewhere.)

-M

Yeah...ULY...Ultra Lame Yahoo.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#18 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Question 2 - Level 7 Autumn Events

[Obscure] Spoiler:

Marley's right, as far as I know, and I would have answered Hunter's Moon without hesitation.

A full moon isn't all that great for hunters, but that's when hunting season is, so what are you gonna do, especially if you've paid hundreds for a license. The reason it's not great for hunting deer and elk is that they can feed by moonlight and lie low during daylight hours. Hunters can fire only between sunrise and sunset, a Most Excellent rule.

With turkeys, it doesn't make any difference -- the turkeys are going to roost all night and come down from the trees for food and water at dawn no matter what the moon's phase is.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller