Richmond Flying Squirrels Stretch Run Thread

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Snaxx

Richmond Flying Squirrels Stretch Run Thread

#1 Post by Snaxx » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:00 am

The Squirrels need a run to make the Eastern League playoffs. Also the front-page headline says the Squirrels will have to wait for new digs due to funding issues. They are currently playing in the home of the old Richmond Braves before they left for the suburbs of Atlanta.

(original thread for image) http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29959

Eastern League - West Division
Team, Record, Pct, GB, GB*
-----
1. Harrisburg 68-53 .562 0 0
2. Bowie 67-54 .554 1.0 0
3. RICHMOND 64-56 .533 3.5 2.5
4. Akron 53-58 .521 5.0 4.0
5. Erie 57-63 .475 10.5 9.5
6. Altoona 54-65 .454 13.0 12.0

*Top two qualify for playoffs, games behind a playoff spot.

No games today
Tomorrow: Richmond hosts Bowie, Harrisburg visits Akron
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Richmond Flying Squirrels Stretch Run Thread

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 am

I hope that avatar works better for the Flying Squirrels than it did for the Evil Squirrels of the BBBL last year.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Snaxx

#3 Post by Snaxx » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Tejada to join Squirrels for rehab
Miguel Tejada, 37, begins a rehabilitation assignment at The Diamond, where the Squirrels and Bowie Baysox start a three-game series. Tejada has been on San Francisco's disabled list since suffering a lower abdominal strain on July 19.

Tejada's assignment in Richmond may be related to the Giants' location. They opened a four-game series in Atlanta on Monday.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/fl ... r-1240884/
---

Snaxx

#4 Post by Snaxx » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Here is a little summary of their season so far.
The Richmond Flying Squirrels on Wednesday put playoff tickets on sale. This delights the San Francisco Giants, the Double-A franchise's parent club.

It's very possible that the Squirrels will not qualify for postseason competition. Only the top two teams from each of the Eastern League's two divisions advance to the four-team playoffs. Richmond has not secured one of the Western Division's spots, though they are in the hunt to do so.
Postseason contention for Richmond seemed unlikely following April and May. On June 1, the Squirrels were 24-28, and tied for fifth among six Western Division clubs. They had scored three or fewer runs in 29 of 52 games (56 percent). Three significant acquisitions during June's first 23 days energized the offense. The Giants signed first baseman Wes Hodges as a free agent, and promoted third baseman Chris Dominguez and outfielder Francisco Peguero from Class A San Jose....
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/fl ... r-1237241/
---

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Snaxx wrote:Here is a little summary of their season so far.
The Richmond Flying Squirrels on Wednesday put playoff tickets on sale. This delights the San Francisco Giants, the Double-A franchise's parent club.

It's very possible that the Squirrels will not qualify for postseason competition. Only the top two teams from each of the Eastern League's two divisions advance to the four-team playoffs. Richmond has not secured one of the Western Division's spots, though they are in the hunt to do so.
Postseason contention for Richmond seemed unlikely following April and May. On June 1, the Squirrels were 24-28, and tied for fifth among six Western Division clubs. They had scored three or fewer runs in 29 of 52 games (56 percent). Three significant acquisitions during June's first 23 days energized the offense. The Giants signed first baseman Wes Hodges as a free agent, and promoted third baseman Chris Dominguez and outfielder Francisco Peguero from Class A San Jose....
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/fl ... r-1237241/

So they have a skunk as a pitcher? Does he have a good stinkerball?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Snaxx

#6 Post by Snaxx » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Squirrels won 5-4 against their closest rival, after a nail-biter from closer Heath Hembree, and are now just 1.5 nuts out of a playoff spot. The stinkerball must have been working. Meanwhile Harrisburg, with star hitter Bryce Harper, is still playing in extras.
---

Snaxx

#7 Post by Snaxx » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Squirrels win 8-5 and are just a half-game behind Bowie in the playoff race! Starting pitcher Ryan Verdugo recovered from a 4-run first and reliever Hector Correa finished with a 4-inning save, after coming in with bags loaded and 0 out in the sixth.
---

Snaxx

#8 Post by Snaxx » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:15 am

Richmond Times-Dispatch coverage:
The Diamond on Wednesday night hosted a summertime St. Patrick's Day celebration. The Richmond Flying Squirrels, in green jerseys for the occasion, broke out their shillelaghs. Behind by four after a half-inning, Richmond led 5-4 after two innings, and went on to an 8-5 victory in the second game of a three-game set with Baltimore's Double-A club before 8,586.

... Squirrels second baseman Charlie Culberson batted with two on in the first inning. The right-handed hitter hacked at an inside pitch. Culberson didn't get the fat part of the bat on the ball, but lifted a high fly down the left-field line.

The ball seemed to soar directly over the foul pole. It was ruled fair, a three-run homer that tied the score 4-4. Culberson had a good look.

"I was standing at home plate just to see if it was fair or not," said the second baseman. "I know I hit it. And I know they called it fair. But, honestly, I think it was fair. It stayed pretty straight the whole time, right over the foul pole."

Bowie manager Gary Kendall protested, then retreated to the visitors' dugout. His hitting coach, Danny Hocking, continued to bark at plate umpire Joseph Born from the cinder track in front of the Baysox dugout. Born eventually gave Hocking the heave-ho.
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/fl ... r-1245888/
---

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:24 am

Snaxx wrote:Richmond Times-Dispatch coverage:
The Diamond on Wednesday night hosted a summertime St. Patrick's Day celebration. The Richmond Flying Squirrels, in green jerseys for the occasion, broke out their shillelaghs. Behind by four after a half-inning, Richmond led 5-4 after two innings, and went on to an 8-5 victory in the second game of a three-game set with Baltimore's Double-A club before 8,586.

... Squirrels second baseman Charlie Culberson batted with two on in the first inning. The right-handed hitter hacked at an inside pitch. Culberson didn't get the fat part of the bat on the ball, but lifted a high fly down the left-field line.

The ball seemed to soar directly over the foul pole. It was ruled fair, a three-run homer that tied the score 4-4. Culberson had a good look.

"I was standing at home plate just to see if it was fair or not," said the second baseman. "I know I hit it. And I know they called it fair. But, honestly, I think it was fair. It stayed pretty straight the whole time, right over the foul pole."

Bowie manager Gary Kendall protested, then retreated to the visitors' dugout. His hitting coach, Danny Hocking, continued to bark at plate umpire Joseph Born from the cinder track in front of the Baysox dugout. Born eventually gave Hocking the heave-ho.
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/fl ... r-1245888/

First of all, St. Patrick's celebrations in any month other than March are lame, even by minor league baseball standards. It was goofy enough when I happened to be in Kansas City for their Halfway to St. Patty's Day night on 9/17/07.... but in August!?!? Come on Squirrels!!! You're better than that....

Second of all, shame on the Richmond beat writer! That's Denny Hocking! The Twins have had a million guys just like him over the past 2 decades....

Third of all, GO SQUIRRELS!!!!!!!1

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

#10 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:49 am

GO SQUIRRELS!!!!!

I can't believe I'm actually following the saga of a Double A team on the east coast. I don't even pay attention to the Drillers......

I'm assuming that the minor league championships are just within their particular league rather than every team at that level, right? Which is too bad, because it would be high-larious if the championship series was between the Richmond Flying Squirrels and the Modesto Nuts....
Exeunt Regina......

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Queen Fantine VIII wrote:GO SQUIRRELS!!!!!

I can't believe I'm actually following the saga of a Double A team on the east coast. I don't even pay attention to the Drillers......

I'm assuming that the minor league championships are just within their particular league rather than every team at that level, right? Which is too bad, because it would be high-larious if the championship series was between the Richmond Flying Squirrels and the Modesto Nuts....

That would be much more exciting than stoopid football games in September....

If it can't happen, it should anyway....

lb13

Snaxx

#12 Post by Snaxx » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Game three and a chance to sweep and take the wild card lead. The Squirrels trailed 5-3 going into the ninth. With two out and no one on, Juan Perez homered to cut the margin to one. A single put a runner on for Skyler Stromsmoe who worked the count full and then hit a drive deep down the line, far enough, if it is fair... Foul. The squirrel at the top of the pole for Culberson yesterday wasn't there this time to usher the ball fair. Stromsmoe struck out on the next pitch and the Squirrels had to say "two out of three ain't bad."

Bowie leads for the wild-card by 1.5 games. Barring bad weather I take the short trip to Trenton tomorrow night and Bowie are the visitors. So I have another reason to root for the Yankees affiliate, who are in the other division and in a three-way race for a playoff spot of their own.
---

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:30 pm

I am lurving this thread.

Snaxx

#14 Post by Snaxx » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
Only Triple-A has an overall championship in that the winners of the two leagues play a single-game championship at a neutral site (was Oklahoma City but is Albuquerque this year).
---

Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

#15 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Snaxx wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
Only Triple-A has an overall championship in that the winners of the two leagues play a single-game championship at a neutral site (was Oklahoma City but is Albuquerque this year).
I noticed the change to your sig line. Is that when you're going to be on vacay?
Exeunt Regina......

Snaxx

#16 Post by Snaxx » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Here is one for ShinyCar to rate. This from Wednesday night (when they won). Maybe it should be Irish Heritage every night.

---

Snaxx

#17 Post by Snaxx » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Queen Fantine VIII wrote:
Snaxx wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
I noticed the change to your sig line. Is that when you're going to be on vacay?
That is right. Still thinking whether I can pull off a "Guess where I am today" game. It may not work if Twitter is pulling data from my iPhone and broadcasts, e.g. Snaxx is (where Snaxx is).
---

Snaxx

#18 Post by Snaxx » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Squirrels: Lost to Akron, 4-0.
Bowie Baysox: Let's dance in the rain. Postponed. DH tomorrow.
The playoff deficit is two cashews. Squirrels 1.5 ahead of Akron.
---

Snaxx

#19 Post by Snaxx » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:59 am

RICHMOND, VA - The Richmond Flying Squirrels (67-58) emerged from a dog-fight with the Akron Aeros (65-61) battered, bruised and victorious, 8-6, in front of a capacity-crowd of 9,560 at The Diamond on Saturday night. The win allowed the Squirrels to level the series with Akron, with a rubber-match slated for Sunday night at 5:05.
Ah, a rubber match with Akron.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news ... &fext=.jsp

Meanwhile, Bowie rallied in the nightcap of a doubleheader to get a split with the Trenton Thunder (Yankees).

Harrisburg 70-56 (division leader)
Bowie 69-57 (wild card leader)
Richmond 67-58 (1.5 behind wild card, 2.5 behind division)
---

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#20 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:43 am

Snaxx wrote:
RICHMOND, VA - The Richmond Flying Squirrels (67-58) emerged from a dog-fight with the Akron Aeros (65-61) battered, bruised and victorious, 8-6, in front of a capacity-crowd of 9,560 at The Diamond on Saturday night. The win allowed the Squirrels to level the series with Akron, with a rubber-match slated for Sunday night at 5:05.
Ah, a rubber match with Akron.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news ... &fext=.jsp

Meanwhile, Bowie rallied in the nightcap of a doubleheader to get a split with the Trenton Thunder (Yankees).

Harrisburg 70-56 (division leader)
Bowie 69-57 (wild card leader)
Richmond 67-58 (1.5 behind wild card, 2.5 behind division)

C'mon Squirrels!

Snaxx

#21 Post by Snaxx » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Squirrels win 2-0 v. Akron with the only scoring coming in the bottom of the 8th. Now awaiting possible help from Trenton in their rain-delayed game.
---

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#22 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Snaxx wrote:Squirrels win 2-0 v. Akron with the only scoring coming in the bottom of the 8th. Now awaiting possible help from Trenton in their rain-delayed game.
Yay, Squirrels!
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#23 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Snaxx wrote:Squirrels win 2-0 v. Akron with the only scoring coming in the bottom of the 8th. Now awaiting possible help from Trenton in their rain-delayed game.

It's gotta be the avatar.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#24 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:43 am

In other news, this year's toaster thread is standing by to be fired up, possibly as soon as today. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Snaxx

#25 Post by Snaxx » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:39 pm

At Altoona for the first of a three-game series: The Squirrels led 2-1 going into the ninth with two out, but gave up a hit and three walks including one that forced the game-winner. Altoona Curve 3, Squirrels 2.
---