Hold Onto Your Seat

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Hold Onto Your Seat

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:14 pm

No, I don't have any startling announcement to make. What were you thinking? :wink:

But that's the name of a new quiz show Michael Davies is importing from France.

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisi ... 9520071018
The French version, "Tout le monde veut prendre sa place," is the highest-rated program for national terrestrial channel France 2. In the hourlong show, five challengers try to unseat a reigning champion, who has a number of advantages in the game. The latest champion remained on the air for five weeks.
No clue what sort of gameplay is involved, except that Davies says it's "inherently stylish".

Should we be excited, or shaking with dread? 8)

earendel

Re: Hold Onto Your Seat

#2 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:17 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:No, I don't have any startling announcement to make. What were you thinking? :wink:

But that's the name of a new quiz show Michael Davies is importing from France.

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisi ... 9520071018
The French version, "Tout le monde veut prendre sa place," is the highest-rated program for national terrestrial channel France 2. In the hourlong show, five challengers try to unseat a reigning champion, who has a number of advantages in the game. The latest champion remained on the air for five weeks.
No clue what sort of gameplay is involved, except that Davies says it's "inherently stylish".

Should we be excited, or shaking with dread? 8)
I'm not sure but this may be the same as a game that elwing and I saw in Italy when we were there. There are two contestants who sit at opposite ends of a table and have to answer questions to add money to a jackpot that one will end up winning. IIRC if one misses a certain number of questions, that person is out and is replaced by another contestant. Everything was in Italian so we never really caught on to the game play.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:19 pm

I am going to be excited!

goongas

#4 Post by goongas » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:49 pm

I stole the description of the show from another board I read:

Here's the general format (this is based on the hour-long French version, so for a half-hour it will probably be altered somewhat):

6 contestants compete to have the chance to win the place of the champion.

Round 1:
Each of the 6 players gets 2 questions. After hearing the question, they can decide to get 2 possible answers for 1 point, 4 possible answers for 3 points, or answer without any choices for 5 points. Top 4 scorers go on to round 2. The champion decides who goes on in case of a tie.

Round 2:
Everyone answers each question with their keyboard. First 3 questions are 2 choices/1 point, next 3 are 4 choices/3 points, last 2 are type-in answers for 5 points. The champion then decides who gets the final 4 questions one at a time- correct answer gets 5 points, but a wrong answer loses 5 points. Top scorer faces the champion- again, champ breaks a tie.

Final Round:
The champ is given 4 categories. He has to pick one for the challenger (one that he thinks the challenger can do well in for reasons given later on, but not too well that he'll lose to), and then one for himself. The challenger goes first, and is given 6 questions with the same 1/3/5 point options, but is not told the correct answers yet (so the champ hears the questions and the challenger's answers, so he might be able to roughly estimate how well the opponent did, but can't be sure). The champion is then given 6 questions of his own the same way, but the correct answers are given immediately. Once the champs final score is determined, they go back and review the challengers' answers. The challenger must beat the champion's score to overthrow him- a tie means champion retains.

The Champion gets 100 Euros for every point the CHALLENGER scored in the final round- so that's why he has to pick a category that the challenger can do well, but not too well in. If the challenger wins, they get 100 Euros per point they scored. However, the champ can elect to offer part of his winnings to the challenger to leave the show and let him remain champ, which the challenger can accept (and leave the show with the offer plus his point winnings-champ gets nothing but his title back) or refuse and become champ with his point winnings. 10 wins in a row by a champ without a buyout wins him a bonus trip, but they can stay until an offer is refused (The current record is 25 wins by two people, one of which bought out a challenger once.)

dodgersteve182

#5 Post by dodgersteve182 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:58 pm

"No, I don't have any startling announcement to make. What were you thinking? "

Mrs. DS was looking at me funny when I grabbed my own arse! :roll:

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:00 pm

I like the sound of this.

Go, Michael Davies!

Editing: I feel the need to clarify here. "I like the sound of this" referred to Goongas' description of the show, not dodgersteve's own-arse-grabbing, however interesting that may have been.

Bixby17

#7 Post by Bixby17 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:03 pm

This sounds like big fun.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:02 am

What Uday and Bix said.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 am

silvercamaro wrote:Editing: I feel the need to clarify here. "I like the sound of this" referred to Goongas' description of the show, not dodgersteve's own-arse-grabbing, however interesting that may have been.
That's why it pays to use the "quote" function.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 am

goongas wrote:I stole the description of the show from another board I read:

Here's the general format (this is based on the hour-long French version, so for a half-hour it will probably be altered somewhat):

6 contestants compete to have the chance to win the place of the champion.

Round 1:
Each of the 6 players gets 2 questions. After hearing the question, they can decide to get 2 possible answers for 1 point, 4 possible answers for 3 points, or answer without any choices for 5 points. Top 4 scorers go on to round 2. The champion decides who goes on in case of a tie.

Round 2:
Everyone answers each question with their keyboard. First 3 questions are 2 choices/1 point, next 3 are 4 choices/3 points, last 2 are type-in answers for 5 points. The champion then decides who gets the final 4 questions one at a time- correct answer gets 5 points, but a wrong answer loses 5 points. Top scorer faces the champion- again, champ breaks a tie.

Final Round:
The champ is given 4 categories. He has to pick one for the challenger (one that he thinks the challenger can do well in for reasons given later on, but not too well that he'll lose to), and then one for himself. The challenger goes first, and is given 6 questions with the same 1/3/5 point options, but is not told the correct answers yet (so the champ hears the questions and the challenger's answers, so he might be able to roughly estimate how well the opponent did, but can't be sure). The champion is then given 6 questions of his own the same way, but the correct answers are given immediately. Once the champs final score is determined, they go back and review the challengers' answers. The challenger must beat the champion's score to overthrow him- a tie means champion retains.

The Champion gets 100 Euros for every point the CHALLENGER scored in the final round- so that's why he has to pick a category that the challenger can do well, but not too well in. If the challenger wins, they get 100 Euros per point they scored. However, the champ can elect to offer part of his winnings to the challenger to leave the show and let him remain champ, which the challenger can accept (and leave the show with the offer plus his point winnings-champ gets nothing but his title back) or refuse and become champ with his point winnings. 10 wins in a row by a champ without a buyout wins him a bonus trip, but they can stay until an offer is refused (The current record is 25 wins by two people, one of which bought out a challenger once.)
OK, this is another show that we saw in Italy (not the one I described earlier).

nitrah55

#11 Post by nitrah55 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:09 am

The title makes it sound like Musical Chairs.