Joe Torre will not be back

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

Joe Torre will not be back

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:02 pm

He turned down the offer.

1 year
5 million with 1 million bonus for making it to whatever you make it to first, 1 million for the next thing you make it to and then 1 million for making it to the World Series. He said no.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#2 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:34 pm

Basically, this was a lowball offer (not so much the money, although it was a pay cut, but the number of years) guaranteed to make Joe say "no thanks". This way the Yankees "brainlesstrust" doesn't look bad to the general (read "unable to see between the lines") public.

In 12 years under Torre the Yankees had never failed to reach the playoffs. He gave them 12 years of class and quiet leadership and kept them afloat at times when lesser skippers would've seen their teams fold.

And they offer him a one year extension of the insulting ultimatum given Joe by Senilebrenner during the playoffs.

I'm glad Joe told them to shove it up their back doors.

Sometimes I just can't figure out why I still root for this team.

Now begins additional worrying. Does this mean no more Mo, Posada, and Pettitte?
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

5LD

#3 Post by 5LD » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:39 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :

And Mr. Steinbrenner can go pound sand.

evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:29 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:Basically, this was a lowball offer (not so much the money, although it was a pay cut, but the number of years) guaranteed to make Joe say "no thanks". This way the Yankees "brainlesstrust" doesn't look bad to the general (read "unable to see between the lines") public.
You're right on this one - it's a way of covering their you-know-whats by making it look as if Torre is the one leaving rather than for all intents and purposes being fired.
T_Bone0806 wrote:Now begins additional worrying. Does this mean no more Mo, Posada, and Pettitte?
That may in part depend upon who replaces Torre. Mattingly might be able to keep all the players in the fold (he's been a batting coach for several years). OTOH if A-Rod decides to opt out after all, that might begin the exodus.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:37 am

I heard some talking head type say that if the person who replaces Joe can do what he did in 12 years, he will give George the 6 million dollars per year.

To have minimal acceptable being winning the World Series is stoopid.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 am

peacock2121 wrote:I heard some talking head type say that if the person who replaces Joe can do what he did in 12 years, he will give George the 6 million dollars per year.
Joe had a marvelous ability to keep the prima donnas who dot the Yankees lineup working together. It's not his fault that the front office doesn't invest in good pitching (Clemens was more of a publicity stunt, IMO) to go with their batting. And considering how far out of the playoffs they were in midsummer, to come back and come within one game of actually winning the division is remarkable.
peacock2121 wrote:To have minimal acceptable being winning the World Series is stoopid.
It's one thing to hope for the Series but another to expect - nay, demand - that the team win it every year.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:13 am

I kind of hope Donny Baseball doesn't take it, if offered. Following Torre is going to be bad enough without the apparently brain-dead Steibrenner spawn on top of it.

Yankees: Hire LaRussa!

Cards: Hire Torre or Mattingly!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

nitrah55

#8 Post by nitrah55 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:07 am

If a bomb hadn't gone off in Pakistan yesterday, Torre's departure would have been the #1 story on the front page of the New York Times today.

I can think of no other manager who could take a New York team with a 21-29 record and guide them into the post-season.

A bad start next year, and the Yankees will have to run a telethon to finish the new stadium.

Another generation of Steinbrenners who confuse acting tough with being tough.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#9 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 am

I just cannot see LaRussa with the Yankees. Ugh.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:48 am

minimetoo26 wrote:I just cannot see LaRussa with the Yankees. Ugh.
No way that would happen. He has trouble with the media in St. Louis...

lb13

traininvain

#11 Post by traininvain » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:32 am

As a Yankee fan who has been a season ticket holder for 20 years, I am very disappointed that Joe won't be coming back. I didn't alway agree with some of his in-game decisions, but as far as handling the players and the press off the field, no one has ever done a better job in the Steinbrenner years. I think it's a BIG mistake to give $ incentives to any manager to make the playoffs, and Selig and the league should put a stop to this right away. Who will manage The Yanks next year, my bets are on Mattingly or Girardi, but who knows Steinbrenner could wiegh the fan backlash and make a new offer to Torre...it's happened before.

On a side note, taking shots at George's mental state is a low blow. If he does have Alzheimer's it's not a funny thing. As a Yankee fan, although he has infuriated me, he's also been the best owner in Basball and one of the best in all of sports. He has always put winning first, the profit has always come second. Whether this made for a good mix, well I'll take the 6 World Series that he has brought to New York.

Thanks Joe, I plan on seeing you throwing out the first pitch on Opening Day 2009 at the new Yankee Stadium, if not sitting in the dugout managing the team.
Enjoy every sandwich