Transcript 02/12/2008 Mark Czachor (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/12/2008 Mark Czachor (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Mark Czachor
West Babylon, NY
7th grade Science teacher
Really in to science, has a dog named Darwin, hopes to play like a mitochondrion, the powerhouse of the cell. He recites the importance of the mitochondria with his students.

ATA lifeline was previously used

$16,000
The star of the popular Nickelodeon series "Zoey 101" is a sister of whom?
A. Mandy Moore B. Hilary Duff
C. Lindsay Lohan D. Britney Spears

50/50 used

He is sure his daughter knows. He has an idea, at least is down to two of them. 50/50 leaves C & D. After saying his answer is still there, he goes for it. Meredith asks his daughter if he is right and she agrees.

$25,000
Because of her foreign birth, Marie Antoinette was given what dismissive nickname by the French?
A. The Austrian Woman B. The German Woman
C. The English Woman D. The Dutch Woman

He has a good idea, at least enough to save his PaF and go for it.

$50,000
To aid in digestion, which of these animals commonly swallows rocks?
A. Grizzly bear B Crocodile
C. Camel D. Rhinoceros

He knows that this is a trait of reptiles.

Commercial break

$100,000
What U.S. president saw a record six states enter the Union while he was in office?
A. Benjamin Harrison B. James K. Polk
C. Grover Cleveland D. James Monroe

STQ used

STQ - $100K
A famous poem by William Carlos Williams reads, "So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow glazed with rain water beside the" what?
A. Wet ducklings B. Green pasture
C. Rusty fence post D. White chickens

PAF used

Mark calls Jonathan, a smart friend of his. He reads off the question w/o choices, then Mere prompts him to read the answers. Jonathan confidently says "White Chickens" just before the buzzer.

$250,000
Equivalent to twenty bottles, which of these large bottles of champagne holds the greatest volume?
A. Balthazar B. Jeroboam
C. Methuselah D. Nebuchadnezzar

He does not know and leaves with $100K. He says he almost accidentally guessed C final answer.

Answers
$16K- D. Britney Spears
$25K- A. The Austrian Woman
$50K- B Crocodile
$100K- A. Benjamin Harrison
STQ $100K- D. White chickens
$250K- D. Nebuchadnezzar

Commercial Break

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:42 pm

Pretty solid play. Not certain on either 100K Q so unless I had a PAF I would probably have bailed at that point.

Guessed right at $250K but doubt I would have done so in the hot seat.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

bazodee

#3 Post by bazodee » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 pm

The champagne bottle question appeared in the old phone game back in 2001.

Put the following bottles of champagne in order, starting with the smallest
- same four choices as appeared in today's question.

moonie

#4 Post by moonie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:15 pm

Knew the Champagne bottle question from studying "The Order of Things" way back when.

That was one of THE books to read when playing the old Phone Game.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 02/12/2008 Mark Czachor (carryover contestant

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:05 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
I know this show was taped weeks in advance, but I knew this one immediately cuz Jamie Lynn Spears was recently outed as being preggie.

$25K: No clue. PAF.

$100K: I can't think of any years for state admissions, so STQ.

$100K #2: Take the 50:50 and hope that B and D don't remain.

$250K: It's a champagne bottle question! I've asked about a Methuselah in a past QOD, and in my studying that subject, I knew immediately that Nebuchadnezzar was the largest.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:23 am

Woo hoo, Mark!

Are we sure he's not a BB who's been keeping a low profile? :)

And how nice for him to mention his dog, Darwin, on Darwin Day! 8)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: STQ - $100K
A famous poem by William Carlos Williams reads, "So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow glazed with rain water beside the" what?

PAF used

Mark calls Jonathan, a smart friend of his. He reads off the question w/o choices, then Mere prompts him to read the answers. Jonathan confidently says "White Chickens" just before the buzzer.
Wow! We could hear Jonathan typing that in for a Google search, but Mark gave him the entire quote! I'd have been afraid that was too much to enter in time (under all that PAF pressure) and might have tried only the part of that beginning with wheelbarrow.

And that would still have returned the answer nicely, I see.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:34 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Mark Czachor
West Babylon, NY
7th grade Science teacher
Really in to science, has a dog named Darwin, hopes to play like a mitochondrion, the powerhouse of the cell. He recites the importance of the mitochondria with his students.
I loved his "superhero voice" - MITOCHONDRION - THE POWERHOUSE OF THE CELL!"
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:ATA lifeline was previously used
Mine, too.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000

He is sure his daughter knows. He has an idea, at least is down to two of them. 50/50 leaves C & D. After saying his answer is still there, he goes for it. Meredith asks his daughter if he is right and she agrees.
I know this because she (Jamie?) is pregnant and only about 15 years old IIRC, so there was a lot made about this in the media.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
Because of her foreign birth, Marie Antoinette was given what dismissive nickname by the French?
A. The Austrian Woman B. The German Woman
C. The English Woman D. The Dutch Woman

He has a good idea, at least enough to save his PaF and go for it.
Good for him! Shows that he knows how to play the game.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
To aid in digestion, which of these animals commonly swallows rocks?
A. Grizzly bear B Crocodile
C. Camel D. Rhinoceros

He knows that this is a trait of reptiles.
I enjoyed listening to him make the connection from reptiles to dinosaurs to birds and the "crop".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
What U.S. president saw a record six states enter the Union while he was in office?
A. Benjamin Harrison B. James K. Polk
C. Grover Cleveland D. James Monroe

STQ used
I guessed and was right - in the HS I'd probably have either PAFed or STQ, probably the PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ - $100K

PAF used

I figure it would be some other color choice, so it would have been B or D. That's probably what 50/50 would have left behind, so it's time to STQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000
Equivalent to twenty bottles, which of these large bottles of champagne holds the greatest volume?
A. Balthazar B. Jeroboam
C. Methuselah D. Nebuchadnezzar
This question, or one very much like it, has been used before - it's the only reason I knew the answer.

Good game, well played.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16,000
This Q is in the 'BAM game on my phone, almost verbatim. I thought all those were previous questions from the show, but apparently not. Hmmm. Maybe they WILL come in handy one day ...
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ghostjmf

Q!

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:23 pm

25K: I knew this, but here's where my gut fails, I say "am I sure its Austriam not German" even though I am sure she was Austrian, not German (like it matters to anyone outside of Austria or Germany!) & I would have needlessly burned a 50/50 here. And if it left me with the 2 likeliest choices, gone with Austria anyway.

50K: I know that birds swallow rocks into their crop. I know that reptiles evolved into birds. I do not know that modern-day crocodiles still have that crop, though. Here's where I want my "timidity" 50/50 back so I can burn it again needlessly. Instead, I'd hold my breath & go with logic here.

100K: I said Harrison, but I would never in a zillion years have gone with it. STQ.

STQ 100: And here's where I want that 50/50 back yet again, to burn it needfully, this time. I have read the poem long ago, have a definite leaning, but I don't know if its from memory or from "what I think would sound best". Basically, I was right. "white chickens" not only sounds best to me, but scans best tempo-wise. But I had it boiled to that & the fence, & would have burned the all-important PAF here.

I think the contestant's PAF did a remarkable job of Googling. Truly remarkable. And managed to convey surety. And the contestant managed to be convinced, which is even a better sign of a great player.

250K: I didn't know, would have ATAed for fun, but not believed them. Gone home.

When this guy said "I really wanted to see the $1,000,000.00 Q" I knew he was "one of us", corny as it sounds. I won't even hold the "mighty mitochondrion" schtick against him. I wish he could have seen the $1,000,000.00 Q. He might have even gotten it right, & would have had the sense not to play if he didn't know it.

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:26 pm

I remembered the giant booze bottle Q from the old show, the old on-line game, whatever. I just didn't remember the right answer. Is all.