Transcript 11/11/2011 - Denise Bonnin

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/11/2011 - Denise Bonnin

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Denise Bonnin
Jersey City, NJ
Doula

Denise loves her family so much she wants to buy a home nearer to where they live. She now lives about an hour away but she wants to be closer. She is a doula, which is a non-medical support system for women during pregnancy, childbirth and after. She loves the work but it doesn't pay as much as her previous job as a podiatrist. She needs to build up a little cash.

Topic Tree: (unrandomized)
10 - Hemingway at Home
9 - Oldie but Goodie
8 - Rebellious Moments
7 - Fruits From Abroad
6 - Over the Wires
5 - Natural Choice
4 - Famous First
3 - Breakfast of Champions
2 - Tools of the Trade
1 - House Hunting

Topic Tree: (randomized)
8 - Rebellious Moments
1 - House Hunting
3 - Breakfast of Champions
9 - Oldie but Goodie
2 - Tools of the Trade
5 - Natural Choice
10 - Hemingway at Home
7 - Fruits From Abroad
4 - Famous First
6 - Over the Wires

Question #1 (Over the Wires - Level 6)
From what city did American humorist Robert Benchley send his editor a telegram that read "Streets flooded. Please advise"?
A - Dublin
B - Madrid
C - Venice
D - Prague

"There's lots of water in
Spoiler
Venice
," Denise observes.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Venice)
Value: $7,000
Bank: $7,000
Question #2 (Famous First - Level 4)
In 2011, Chaz Bono said he'd avoid reading Internet comments after becoming the first transgender person to compete on what show?
A - Celebrity Apprentice
B - Dancing with the Stars
C - Celebrity Rehab
D - The Biggest Loser

Denise is watching this show and Chaz is doing great.
Spoiler
Answer: B (Dancing with the Stars)
Value: $3,000
Bank: $10,000
Question #3 (Fruits From Abroad - Level 7)
In 1908, plant explorer Frank Meyer brought from China a popular variety of what fruit which now bears his name?
A - apple
B - lemon
C - cherry
D - pear

Denise is sure that it's
Spoiler
"lemons, Meyer lemons".
Spoiler
Answer: B (lemon)
Value: $500
Bank: $10,500
Question #4 (Hemingway at Home - Level 10)
Known for setting his stories abroad, what Ernest Hemingway novel did Time magazine call his "only novel with a U.S. background"?
A - A Farewell to Arms
B - The Sun Also Rises
C - To Have and Have Not
D - For Whom the Bell Tolls

Denise isn't certain. She could either ask the audience or jump the question. "If I jump I could jump over a lot of money," she notes. But then she'd be done with the question. Meredith replies that if she misses the question she'd be done with the game. Denise isn't ready to be done so she jumps the question.
Spoiler
Answer: C (To Have and Have Not)
Value: $25,000
Bank: $10,500 (unchanged)

"That's OK, I'll make more," Denise says.
Question #5 (Natural Choice - Level 5)
At Google's global headquarters, the company has used goat herds as an environmentally friendly method to do what?
A - deliver messages
B - make ice cream
C - shred messages
D - mow lawns

Denise says she thought about
Spoiler
mowing lawns
even before the answers came up, so that's going to be her final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: D (mow lawns)
Value: $1,000
Bank: $11,500

Meredith says the company rents the goats from a firm called "California Grazins".
commercial break

Denise's mother, Michaeline, is in the relationship seat.

Question #6 (Tools of the Trade - Level 2)
A saliva ejector is a tool often used by what type of medical professional?
A - chiropractor
B - podiatrist
C - dentist
D - optometrist
Spoiler
Denise says that she was once a podiatrist and she didn't use a saliva ejector. She says that saliva comes from the mouth and dentists work on the mouth.
Spoiler
Answer: C (dentist)
Value: $10,000
Bank: $21,500
Question #7 (Oldie but Goodie - Level 9)
When 85-year-old Tony Bennett became the oldest living performer to top the Billboard 200 in 2011, he beat out what former record holder?
A - Bob Dylan
B - Aretha Franklin
C - Barry Manilow
D - Elton John

"Those are all good choices," Denise comments. She thinks the audience can help so she'll ask them.
ATA results
A - 22%
B - 25%
C - 27%
D - 26%
"Thanks, guys," Denise says.
"Boy did you guys blow it," Meredith adds. She asks if Denise was leaning toward any of them and Denise replies
Spoiler
"Aretha Franklin".
In medical school she had a saying - "Don't think so much; just answer the question." That was really easy when there wasn't money to win. If she uses her jump she has no more lifelines but if she gets it wrong she just goes home. She decides to jump the question.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Bob Dylan)
Value: $5,000
Bank: $21,500 (unchanged)
Question #8 (Breakfast of Champions - Level 3)
To bulk up for competition, what sport's athletes consume vast amounts of a traditional stew called chankonabe?
A - curling
B - sumo wrestling
C - squash
D - swimming
Spoiler
"Chankonabe sounds like a Japanese word and sumo wrestling...sumo wrestlers bulk up for competition."
Spoiler
Answer: B (sumo wrestling)
Value: $15,000
Bank: $36,500
Question #9 (House Hunting - Level 1)
In real estate listings, "a/g pl" stands for a swimming pool that is what?
A - avant-garde
B - artificial gold
C - argyle
D - aboveground

Denise says she'll take any pool.
Spoiler
Answer: D (aboveground)
Value: $100
Bank: $36,600
commercial break

Question #10 (Rebellious Moments - Level 8)
The 1846 uprising by California settlers against Mexican rule is better known as what?
A - Bear Flag Revolt
B - Green Corn Rebellion
C - Know-Nothing Riot
D - Black Patch War

Denise says she's leaning toward something. Meredith asks what. She replies that
Spoiler
the California flag has a bear on it. The settlers would be revolting against Mexican rule.
Denise is going to take a leap of faith and answer the question.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Bear Flag Revolt)
Value: $2,000
Bank: $38,600
CLASSIC MILLIONAIRE

$100K - Which of the following words is used to describe when someone raises the price of a house as a contract is being signed?
A - wazump
B - shazump
C - gazump
D - fazump

Meredith tells Denise that on the last question she risked $18,000, but now she'd only be risking about $13,000. Denise has no idea; she's never heard any of these words. Meredith says she needs to learn it since she's thinking about buying a house. It's a good question to guess on. She notes the options, and decides to guess. She doesn't think it's
Spoiler
wazump because that sounds too much like "wazzup". She thinks it might be gazump because the price "goes up".
That's what she's going to guess and if she misses, she's OK. The audience applauds and Meredith cautions them that it's bad to do that before they know whether she's right or wrong because it misleads.
Spoiler
C (gazump)
commercial break

Aside from the house, Denise would like to pay off medical bills by writing a single check. But if she has to choose, she wants the house so her 4-year old son has some place to run around. Denise hasn't looked back at her mother because she'd cry. She knows that her mother is super proud of her.

$250K - Thanks to a giant crater on its surface, what Saturnian moon is often said to resemble the Death Star from the movie "Star Wars"?
A - Rhea
B - Mimas
C - Hyperion
D - Titan

"Giant crater, Saturnian moon, Death Star...there's no hints in there," Denise says. "I just have to know this answer, and I don't." She'll walk away with $100,000.
Spoiler
B (Mimas)

THE END OF GAME "NOISE"

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Re: Transcript 11/11/2011 - Denise Bonnin

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Typo in the last question --
Spoiler
the moon is Mimas.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:17 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100K - Which of the following words is used to describe when someone raises the price of a house as a contract is being signed?
A - wazump
B - shazump
C - gazump
D - fazump
They must have hired a foreign writer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazumping#United_States
The term gazumping is not used in the United States.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Looks like a good stack for me at first blush. Let's have a look . . .
Question #1 (Over the Wires - Level 6)
From what city did American humorist Robert Benchley send his editor a telegram that read "Streets flooded. Please advise"?
A - Dublin
B - Madrid
C - Venice
D - Prague

"There's lots of water in
Spoiler
Venice
," Denise observes.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Venice)
Value: $7,000
Bank: $7,000
Seems obvious. (Crossing fingers...)
Question #2 (Famous First - Level 4)
In 2011, Chaz Bono said he'd avoid reading Internet comments after becoming the first transgender person to compete on what show?
A - Celebrity Apprentice
C - Celebrity Rehab
D - The Biggest Loser

Spoiler
No problem here, if you read the DWTS threads.
Question #3 (Fruits From Abroad - Level 7)
In 1908, plant explorer Frank Meyer brought from China a popular variety of what fruit which now bears his name?
A - apple
B - lemon
C - cherry
D - pear

Denise is sure that it's
Spoiler
"lemons, Meyer lemons".
Spoiler
I just bought a little sack of Meyer lemons not long ago for $1.00. Sold at the usual per pound price, it would have been about five times that. Anyway, lemons, final answer.
Question #4 (Hemingway at Home - Level 10)
Known for setting his stories abroad, what Ernest Hemingway novel did Time magazine call his "only novel with a U.S. background"?
A - A Farewell to Arms
B - The Sun Also Rises
C - To Have and Have Not
D - For Whom the Bell Tolls

Denise isn't certain. She could either ask the audience or jump the question. "If I jump I could jump over a lot of money," she notes. But then she'd be done with the question. Meredith replies that if she misses the question she'd be done with the game. Denise isn't ready to be done so she jumps the question.
Spoiler
Answer: C (To Have and Have Not)
Value: $25,000
Bank: $10,500 (unchanged)
Florida Keys, I believe. Florida, anyway.
Question #5 (Natural Choice - Level 5)
At Google's global headquarters, the company has used goat herds as an environmentally friendly method to do what?
A - deliver messages
B - make ice cream
C - shred messages
D - mow lawns

Spoiler
mowing lawns
Again, seems obvious. No crossed fingers this time.

Obvious again.
When 85-year-old Tony Bennett became the oldest living performer to top the Billboard 200 in 2011, he beat out what former record holder?
A - Bob Dylan
B - Aretha Franklin
C - Barry Manilow
D - Elton John

"Those are all good choices," Denise comments. She thinks the audience can help so she'll ask them.
ATA results
A - 22%
B - 25%
C - 27%
D - 26%
"Boy did you guys blow it," Meredith adds. She asks if Denise was leaning toward any of them and Denise replies
Spoiler
"Aretha Franklin".
In medical school she had a saying - "Don't think so much; just answer the question." That was really easy when there wasn't money to win. If she uses her jump she has no more lifelines but if she gets it wrong she just goes home. She decides to jump the question.
Spoiler
Tough one! I said Dylan to myself, then rethought it -- they've both been around a looooong time...

I think I would have jumped without ATA.

No finger crossing.

No finger crossing.
The 1846 uprising by California settlers against Mexican rule is better known as what?
A - Bear Flag Revolt
B - Green Corn Rebellion
C - Know-Nothing Riot
D - Black Patch War

Denise says she's leaning toward something. Meredith asks what. She replies that
Spoiler
the California flag has a bear on it. The settlers would be revolting against Mexican rule.
Spoiler
And a bear to this day.
$100K - Which of the following words is used to describe when someone raises the price of a house as a contract is being signed?
A - wazump
B - shazump
C - gazump
D - fazump

Meredith tells Denise that on the last question she risked $18,000, but now she'd only be risking about $13,000. Denise has no idea; she's never heard any of these words. Meredith says she needs to learn it since she's thinking about buying a house. It's a good question to guess on. She notes the options, and decides to guess. She doesn't think it's
Spoiler
wazump because that sounds too much like "wazzup". She thinks it might be gazump because the price "goes up".
That's what she's going to guess and if she misses, she's OK. The audience applauds and Meredith cautions them that it's bad to do that before they know whether she's right or wrong because it misleads.
Spoiler
C (gazump)
Second JTQ.
$250K - Thanks to a giant crater on its surface, what Saturnian moon is often said to resemble the Death Star from the movie "Star Wars"?
A - Rhea
B - Minas
C - Hyperion
D - Titan

"Giant crater, Saturnian moon, Death Star...there's no hints in there," Denise says. "I just have to know this answer, and I don't." She'll walk away with $100,000.
Spoiler
B (Minas)
I'll ATA just because I still have it, but I suspect I'm outta there with my pre-classic bank -- $63,600, if I figured correctly.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:41 pm

?? What in the world . . .

Pretty sure I don't know how to do that.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:55 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:?? What in the world . . .

To do what?

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:58 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Aside from the house, Denise would like to pay off medical bills by writing a single check. But if she has to choose, she wants the house so her 4-year old son has some place to run around. Denise hasn't looked back at her mother because she'd cry. She knows that her mother is super proud of her.
Actually, I think she was talking about paying off her medical school bills. It had to take a major leap of faith to switch careers from podiatry to being a doula (what's the noun for that--doulatry? doulism?) while she still hadn't paid off going to med school.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:29 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:?? What in the world . . .

To do what?
On my screen, this stuff is all over in the avatar column above the avatar.

Again, seems obvious. No crossed fingers this time.

Obvious again.

A - Bob Dylan
B - Aretha Franklin
C - Barry Manilow
D - Elton John

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA results
A - 22%
B - 25%
C - 27%
D - 26%

Spoiler
"Aretha Franklin". In medical school she had a saying - "Don't think so much; just answer the question." That was really easy when there wasn't money to win. If she uses her jump she has no more lifelines but if she gets it wrong she just goes home. She decides to jump the question.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Tough one! I said Dylan to myself, then rethought it -- they've both been around a looooong time...

I think I would have jumped without ATA.

No finger crossing.

No finger crossing.

A - Bear Flag Revolt
B - Green Corn Rebellion
C - Know-Nothing Riot
D - Black Patch War

Denise says she's leaning toward something. Meredith asks what. She replies that the California flag has a bear on it. The settlers would be revolting against Mexican rule. Denise is going to take a leap of faith and answer the question.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

And a bear to this day.

A - wazump
B - shazump
C - gazump
D - fazump

Meredith tells Denise that on the last question she risked $18,000, but now she'd only be risking about $13,000. Denise has no idea; she's never heard any of these words. Meredith says she needs to learn it since she's thinking about buying a house. It's a good question to guess on. She notes the options, and decides to guess. She doesn't think it's wazump because that sounds too much like "wazzup". She thinks it might be gazump because the price "goes up". That's what she's going to guess and if she misses, she's OK. The audience applauds and Meredith cautions them that it's bad to do that before they know whether she's right or wrong because it misleads.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C (gazump)

drjoe1e6

#9 Post by drjoe1e6 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:08 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Question #7 (Oldie but Goodie - Level 9)
A - Bob Dylan
B - Aretha Franklin
C - Barry Manilow
D - Elton John
Oooh, I should have posted a question alert on this one. Read it in a doctor's waiting room... big New Yorker article about Tony Bennett recording his duet with Lady Gaga. The factoid about who he eclipsed was there.
Total winnings: Two shirts and a magnet. Someday...

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 am

Here's an article about Denise's run.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.s ... _1000.html
About half her winnings will go toward paying taxes, Bonnin said.

With the other half, Bonnin said she plans to pay off some of her $200,000 in student loans. And together with her fiancŽ, Ravi Lakheeram, she hopes to put a downpayment on a home closer to her parents in Hamilton Township.
$200K in student loans! And she still changed professions! :shock:

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Denise Bonnin
Jersey City, NJ
Doula

Denise loves her family so much she wants to buy a home nearer to where they live. She now lives about an hour away but she wants to be closer. She is a doula, which is a non-medical support system for women during pregnancy, childbirth and after. She loves the work but it doesn't pay as much as her previous job as a podiatrist. She needs to build up a little cash.
I know someone here in River City that is a doula, and it doesn't pay much. I wonder why Denise switched from podiatry.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #2 (Famous First - Level 4)
A - Celebrity Apprentice
C - Celebrity Rehab
D - The Biggest Loser

Spoiler
Obviously taped before Chaz was voted off.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #3 (Fruits From Abroad - Level 7)
A - apple
B - lemon
C - cherry
D - pear

Denise is sure that it's
Spoiler
"lemons, Meyer lemons".
Spoiler
I have no idea. I'll JTQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #5 (Natural Choice - Level 5)
A - deliver messages
B - make ice cream
C - shred messages
D - mow lawns

Spoiler
mowing lawns
Spoiler

Meredith says the company rents the goats from a firm called "California Grazins".
Permit me a long digression. Back when I was a contract specialist I was sent to a class in specification writing. The government was trying to save money by changing the way it specified what it wanted - for services the goal was to create "performance-based specifications" rather than the previous type, which dictated the equipment to be used, etc. The instructor used the illustration of grass-cutting, saying that rather than specify a certain type of mower with a certain size deck, etc., the specification should just require keeping the grass at a certain length. He said the government shouldn't care whether the contractor used a John Deere mower or a herd of goats.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #7 (Oldie but Goodie - Level 9)
A - Bob Dylan
B - Aretha Franklin
C - Barry Manilow
D - Elton John

ATA results
A - 22%
B - 25%
C - 27%
D - 26%
Spoiler
"Aretha Franklin".
Spoiler
I misread this question at first and was looking for an older performer (such as George Burns or Bob Hope). When I reread the question and the answers I had no guess. I'd have used my second JTQ here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #10 (Rebellious Moments - Level 8)
A - Bear Flag Revolt
B - Green Corn Rebellion
C - Know-Nothing Riot
D - Black Patch War

Spoiler
Spoiler
I applaud Denise's reasoning on this question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - Which of the following words is used to describe when someone raises the price of a house as a contract is being signed?
A - wazump
B - shazump
C - gazump
D - fazump

Spoiler
Spoiler
C (gazump)
I don't know, and although I don't think the audience will, either, I use my last lifeline here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K - Thanks to a giant crater on its surface, what Saturnian moon is often said to resemble the Death Star from the movie "Star Wars"?
A - Rhea
B - Mimas
C - Hyperion
D - Titan

Spoiler
B (Mimas)
I was expecting Enceladus to be one of the choices because I thought it was the right answer. Assuming I got past the previous question, I would have known the answer based on the four choices.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."