Transcript 11/29/2011 Matt and Samantha, KXAS Dallas

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/29/2011 Matt and Samantha, KXAS Dallas

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Matt and Samantha
KXAS - Dallas

Playing for the Dallas American Heart Association
(Guaranteed $5000 no matter how well they do)

They hardly see each other at work since Matt covers sports at night while Samantha is from the morning show.

Topic Tree (pre-randomized):
10 Space Shuttles
9 Going Nutty
8 Clever Cole
7 Musical Theory
6 What Am I Thinking?
5 Big Words
4 Classic Video Games
3 Noisemakers
2 California Dreaming
1 It's All Politics

Topic Tree: (Randomized)
6 What Am I Thinking?
8 Clever Cole
5 Big Words
4 Classic Video Games
10 Space Shuttles
3 Noisemakers
7 Musical Theory
9 Going Nutty
1 It's All Politics
2 California Dreaming

Question 1 - Level 2 California Dreaming
Claiming it evokes slaughterhouses, PETA urged San Francisco to change the name of which of its neighborhoods in 2011?
A. Excelsior B. Castro
C. Nob Hill D. Tenderloin
Spoiler
They get it w/o a LL even though Matt said Castro made him think of castration. Samantha thought it would be simply Fidel Castro.
Answer and value
D. Tenderloin
Value: $5000
Bank: $5000
Question 2 - Level 1 It's All Politics
What 2012 presidential candidate's surname becomes the last name of a 2008 candidate when "Mc" is tacked on to its front?
A. Ron Paul B. Michele Bachmann
C. Herman Cain D. Mitt Romney

Answer and value
C. Herman Cain
Value: $10000
Bank: $15000

Question 3 - Level 9 Going Nutty
In China, which of the following is often referred to as the "happy nut"? (Matt said castro?)
A. Cashew B. Pistachio
C. Macademia D. Almond
JTQ 1
Matt's gut feeling was Pistachio because of some ad campaign calling it the something nut. Samantha's gut was Cashew.
Answer and value
B. Pistachio
Value: $2K jumped
Bank: $15K

Question 4 - Level 7 Musical Theory
According to a recent theory, the loaves of bread in what painting are actually encoded musical notes that create a 40-second "hymn to God"?
A. American Gothic B. Cafe Terrace at Night
C. The Last Supper D. Nighthawks
Answer and value
C. The Last Supper
Value: $3000
Bank: $18K
Commercial break

Question 5 - Level 3 Noisemakers
When its lid is being sealed, Tupperware is famously said to make what humanlike sound?
A. Cough B. Hiccup
C. Burp D. Sneeze
JTQ 2
They try making the sounds and pretty much rule out Cough and Sneeze. Samantha was thinking hiccup. Matt said burp. Unable to decide, they JTQ.
Answer and value
C. Burp
Value: $100 jumped
Bank: $18K

Question 6 - Level 10 Space Shuttles
Which of these space shuttles was named after two ships captained by English explorers Henry Hudson and James Cook?
A. Discovery B. Challenger
C. Atlantis D. Enterprise

Spoiler
educated guess on Matt's part, he said he was 80% sure
Answer and value
A. Discovery
Value: $500
Bank: $18500

Question 7 - Level 4 Classic Video Games
One of the first examples of a sports star lending his name to a video game was Atari's '80s release "Pele's Championship" what?
A. Soccer B. Golf
C. Tennis D. Boxing

Answer and value
A. Soccer
Value: $1000
Bank: $19500
Commercial break

Question 8 - Level 5 Big Words
A German worried about klimakatastrophe has the same concerns as an American worried about what?
A. Gun control B. Illegal immigration
C. Childhood obesity D. Global warming
Spoiler
Matt figured climate catastrophe and convinced Samantha to go along
Answer and value
D. Global warming
Value: $25K!
Bank: $44500
Question 9- Level 8 Clever Cole
Because he could not afford retail space, Kenneth Cole sold his shoes out of a truck in 1982 while pretending to do what?
A. Shoot a film B. Deliver furniture
C. Repair a pothole D. Collect trash
Spoiler
Matt decided that to shoot a film one would need equipment and that would cost a lot
Samantha said the city would handle repairing potholes. They said the same for collecting trash
They are leaning B.
Mere said they have the ATA although they may have affected the audience already by their discussion
They decide to go for it and guess B.
Answer and value
A. Shoot a film
Value: not shown
Bank: $5000 consolation for the Dallas American Heart Association
Mere said to this day the company is called Kenneth Cole Productions
Commercial break

UniquePerspective

Re: Transcript 11/29/2011 Matt and Samantha, KXAS Dallas

#2 Post by UniquePerspective » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Ok, I can give some insight since I was at this taping, I didn't see the episode however for reasons I'll explain below:

First of all, from the original information I was told at the taping, this episode is airing two days earlier than originally scheduled, it was scheduled to be the December 1st episode, assuming the three episodes we saw taped were meant to be aired in order. This is why I did not see this episode, because I assumed it intended to air on Thursday.

These guys...almost seemed like they were borderline bickering with their discussion in the unedited version. They were playing this back and forth game a lot about how sure they were, and for every question, it seemed like they took a really long time to reason. Particularly with the cashew question as well based on the information from this recap, you also did not see the fact that Samantha had this whole reasoning that cashews were apparently a featured nut at a Chinese restaurant. The producers actually had to tell them to hurry up at that point, and Matt seemed to be not happy at the fact and made a comment about the producers in the next question or some time after that.

There was also a brief bit of discussion on whether to go with Cafe Terrace at Night because of the cafe setting. Not sure if that was aired either.

For some reason, Meredith couldn't pronounce Pele the first time and they had to re-tape her simply reading the question again. I found that amusing in...perhaps not a good way.

For perhaps their smug attitude, or something about them that rubbed me the wrong way, I was in a way glad they didn't go very far. For some reason they didn't come off as very likeable to me.

Any more information you want to know? Feel free to ask me.

Snaxx

#3 Post by Snaxx » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the report from the audience! Nice to hear a 'unique' perspective on the episode.
UniquePerspective wrote: These guys...almost seemed like they were borderline bickering with their discussion in the unedited version. They were playing this back and forth game a lot about how sure they were, and for every question, it seemed like they took a really long time to reason. Particularly with the cashew question as well based on the information from this recap, you also did not see the fact that Samantha had this whole reasoning that cashews were apparently a featured nut at a Chinese restaurant. The producers actually had to tell them to hurry up at that point, and Matt seemed to be not happy at the fact and made a comment about the producers in the next question or some time after that.
Samantha's comment about cashews featured at a Chinese restaurant must have landed on the cutting room floor along with most of that discussion. Samantha's reaction to finding it was Pistachio indicated she must have really thought it was cashew.
UniquePerspective wrote: There was also a brief bit of discussion on whether to go with Cafe Terrace at Night because of the cafe setting. Not sure if that was aired either.
They did air a little more of what you remembered on that question. They showed her saying maybe Cafe Terrace at Night because of that being a place where one eats bread, and that she would say either C or B. Then they both were leaning Last Supper. He asked her if she is "cashew-sure" or "pistachio-sure" and she said she is not "tenderloin-sure." He asked her for a percentage and she complained that she can't do that on every question. Ultimately she responded 75% sure on Last Supper.
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Transcript 11/29/2011 Matt and Samantha, KXAS

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 am

Thanks for getting this posted. KTLA decided it was more important to show us the Conrad Murray sentence and then what talking heads thought about it. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:09 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Matt and Samantha
KXAS - Dallas

Playing for the Dallas American Heart Association
(Guaranteed $5000 no matter how well they do)

They hardly see each other at work since Matt covers sports at night while Samantha is from the morning show.
I wonder if KXAS uses the phrase "kicks a$$" as part of their promos. :mrgreen:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 3 - Level 9 Going Nutty
In China, which of the following is often referred to as the "happy nut"? (Matt said castro?)
A. Cashew B. Pistachio
C. Macademia D. Almond
JTQ 1
Matt's gut feeling was Pistachio because of some ad campaign calling it the something nut. Samantha's gut was Cashew.
Answer and value
B. Pistachio
Value: $2K jumped
Bank: $15K
I thought it might be "cashew" because of its curved shape. But given the difficulty of the question I'd probably JTQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 6 - Level 10 Space Shuttles
Which of these space shuttles was named after two ships captained by English explorers Henry Hudson and James Cook?
Spoiler
Answer and value
A. Discovery
Is this a recycled question?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 9- Level 8 Clever Cole
Because he could not afford retail space, Kenneth Cole sold his shoes out of a truck in 1982 while pretending to do what?
A. Shoot a film B. Deliver furniture
C. Repair a pothole D. Collect trash
Spoiler
Matt decided that to shoot a film one would need equipment and that would cost a lot
Samantha said the city would handle repairing potholes. They said the same for collecting trash
They are leaning B.
Mere said they have the ATA although they may have affected the audience already by their discussion
They decide to go for it and guess B.
Answer and value
A. Shoot a film
Value: not shown
Bank: $5000 consolation for the Dallas American Heart Association
Mere said to this day the company is called Kenneth Cole Productions
I'd have to ATA on this one and JTQ if they don't come through.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 am

earendel wrote:
Spoiler
Answer and value
A. Discovery
Not in any of the transcripts that are archived here. There are a couple other space shuttle questions that include Discovery as one of the choices.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:22 am

Maybe you were remembering this question, ear, from Tom Philipose's stack on 12/09/2008.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K (Explorers):
The space shuttle Endeavour is named after a ship commanded by what historic explorer?
A. Vasco da Gama B. Ferdinand Magellan
C. James Cook D. Francis Drake

"I'm watching that clock, Got the double-dip but I don't know if I can go for it, Endeavour"
Time runs out
"I'm walking"
Mere asks what Tom would have guessed first and Tom says D.
Spoiler
C. James Cook (0)
Tom left with $50,000

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:30 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
Spoiler
Answer and value
A. Discovery
Not in any of the transcripts that are archived here. There are a couple other space shuttle questions that include Discovery as one of the choices.
Yeah, I tried searching but couldn't find a reference; still I'm sure I've heard this question before. Maybe I was remembering this question from the 11/30/2006 episode of J!:

Discovery is named for 2 ships, one sailed by Henry Hudson & one sailed by this man when he discovered Hawaii.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."