Transcript 02/14/08 - Colleen Kelly

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/14/08 - Colleen Kelly

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:38 pm

Colleen Kelly
New York, NY
Stay-at-home mom and working on her Master's degree.

Colleen's daughter, Kelly, encouraged her to be on the show. Her advice was to be extra nice to Meredith.

Colleen's parents, Bill and Shannon, are in the audience. Colleen wanted Bill to be a lifeline, but he said he'd rather be in the audience.

Bill: I would have a terrible senior moment, if she called.

$100
If placed in the U.S., which of these foreign landmarks could stretch roughly from Los Angeles to Boston?

A: Stonehenge B: London Bridge
C: Great Wall of China D: The Leaning Tower of Taffy

$200
Made from the dried fibers of a gourd, a loofah is commonly used for what task?

A: Plucking eyebrows B: Combing hair
C: Whitening teeth D: Scrubbing skin

$300
"Itzi Bitzi Araña" is a popular Mexican kids' song about a what?

A: Frog B: Goldfish
C: Spider D: Ant

$500
What candy got its name after the idea of creating perfectly round chocolate-covered caramels proved impossible?

A: Mounds B: Milk Duds
C: Goobers D: Whatchamacallit

There are a couple there that look like they could be the answer.

ATA: A: 1% B: 85% C: 8% D: 6%

$1,000
Money-saving "family plans" are commonly available for which of these types of service?

A: Cell phone B: Electricity
C: Natural gas D: Satellite television

$2,000
In the 1970s, British rocker David Bowie performed using the famous stage name "Ziggy" what?

A: Sunshine B: Moonlight
C: Stardust D: Spaceship

$4,000
Once known as Olaf the Fat, King Olaf Haraldsson is the patron saint of what country?

A: Germany B: Norway
C: Russia D: Portugal

$8,000
The Snugli baby carrier was inspired by mothers carrying their babies in slings in what part of the world?

A: Eastern Europe B: Southern Asia
C: Central America D: Western Africa

-- Commercial Break --

Colleen is more nervous than she thought she'd be. Her nickname is "Sharky" and she has a worry stone with a shark on it. It isn't helping right now.

$16,000
Which of these people is not a contestant on the fall 2007 installment of "Dancing With the Stars"?

A: An Indy 500 champion B: A professional wrestler
C: A Spice Girl D: A welterweight boxing champ

Colleen happens to watch this show.

$25,000
The adjectives "spring" and "neap" describe two extreme types of what natural phenomenon?

A: Ocean tides B: Dew point
C: Tornadoes D: Relative humidity

Colleen loves the ocean and knows that there are neap tides. She's never heard of spring tides, but she takes the chance and says Ocean tides, final answer.

$50,000
Who is Leon Czolgosz?

A: Pilot of the Hindenburg B: Protagonist of "The Idiot"
C: Inventor of the modern typewriter D: Assassin of President McKinley

Colleen calls her brother, Mike, who knows many, many things. She spells Czolgosz without trying to pronounce it. Ten seconds.

Mike: Col, I'm gonna have to say McKinley, but I'd only give it about--

50/50 leaves A & D.

-- Commercial Break --

$100,000
A 2001 report identifies the oldest known piece of earth as a 4.4-billion-year-old crystal made of what substance?

A: Pyrite B: Topaz
C: Zircon D: Fluorite

Colleen: Boy, I am not a archaelogist or whoever does these things.

Colleen switches the question.

STQ $100,000
"Gojira," the original Japanese name for Godzilla, comes from words meaning "gorilla" and what?

A: Alligator B: Dinosaur
C: Whale D: Shark

Colleen was thinking there was a lizard-like something, so when she saw alligator she went aha! But there's also dinosaur.

Colleen walks with $50,000.

-- The Horn --

Answers:
$100: C: Great Wall of China
$200: D: Scrubbing skin
$300: C: Spider
$500: B: Milk Duds
$1,000: A: Cell phone
$2,000: C: Stardust
$4,000: B: Norway
$8,000: D: Western Africa
$16,000: B: A professional wrestler
$25,000: A: Ocean tides
$50,000: D: Assassin of President McKinley
$100,000: C: Zircon
STQ $100,000: C: Whale

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 02/14/08 - Colleen Kelly

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:52 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Colleen Kelly
New York, NY
WE®
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200
Made from the dried fibers of a gourd, a loofah is commonly used for what task?

A: Plucking eyebrows B: Combing hair
C: Whitening teeth D: Scrubbing skin
E: Phone sex (Bill O'Reilly only)

$16K: ATA.

$50K: Wow... how many times have we used the name Leon Czolgosz on the Bored? It's pretty common in our QODs, official and unofficial. I was hoping that it would finally show up one day on WWTBAM.

$100K: I doubt that this question is Googleable, so switch it.

$100K #2: Alligator and dinosaur were way too obvious for a $100K question, so both of them had to be wrong. Take the 50:50 and hope that it doesn't leave C and D. PAF if it does leave C and D.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:09 am

New York, NY

Colleen's daughter, Kelly, encouraged her to be on the show. Her advice was to be extra nice to Meredith.

So her daugher's name is Kelly Kelly?? And she's another reluctant contestant?

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500
What candy got its name after the idea of creating perfectly round chocolate-covered caramels proved impossible?

Meredith kept emphasizing the word "duds" whenever she read the answers.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Which of these people is not a contestant on the fall 2007 installment of "Dancing With the Stars"?

A: An Indy 500 champion B: A professional wrestler
C: A Spice Girl D: A welterweight boxing champ

Colleen happens to watch this show.

Well, I don't. However I know that Helio Castraneves was on the show, and one of the Spice Girls. But that's as far as I can go, so let's 50/50 and see what's left.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Who is Leon Czolgosz?

Colleen calls her brother, Mike, who knows many, many things. She spells Czolgosz without trying to pronounce it. Ten seconds.

50/50 leaves A & D.

Didn't we have a discussion recently about spelling Leon's name?

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
A 2001 report identifies the oldest known piece of earth as a 4.4-billion-year-old crystal made of what substance?

I'd either STQ or PAF - let's say that I do what Colleen did.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $100,000
"Gojira," the original Japanese name for Godzilla, comes from words meaning "gorilla" and what?

Colleen was thinking there was a lizard-like something, so when she saw alligator she went aha! But there's also dinosaur.

Good choice because I actually know this one. I was killing some time last weekend and browsing through Wikipedia, following links. One of the articles I read was about the Godzilla movie franchise, and it had all kinds of information, including the derivation of the name.

So I'd be going for $250K with ATA and PAF still available.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:45 am

earendel wrote:
New York, NY

So her daugher's name is Kelly Kelly?? And she's another reluctant contestant?

I found that name hard to believe, too, but I replayed the tape to be sure.

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500

Meredith kept emphasizing the word "duds" whenever she read the answers.

D'oh! I was concentrating on what type of candy each of these are--I couldn't recall what was in Whatchamacallits--and I never even considered that meaning of "duds" that the question hints at.

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:]$50,000
Who is Leon Czolgosz?

50/50 leaves A & D.

Didn't we have a discussion recently about spelling Leon's name?

I don't recall that. But when contestants are confronted with difficult words like this, why don't they practice the pronunciation before starting the PAF call? Say it a dozen times and ask Meredith to confirm that it's correct. They can easily edit that out of the tape.

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000

I'd either STQ or PAF - let's say that I do what Colleen did.

NAC. That's a pretty old news story to try to remember this little detail.

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:]STQ $100,000

Good choice because I actually know this one. I was killing some time last weekend and browsing through Wikipedia, following links. One of the articles I read was about the Godzilla movie franchise, and it had all kinds of information, including the derivation of the name.

So why did they name a mutant dinosaurian monster "gorilla whale"?

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:23 am

Apparently, I am the only person who would have needed to use a lifeline on the Snugli question.

I could eliminate A & B, but I can recall seeing pictures of mothers carrying babies in hip slings in Africa and Cemtral America. Hopefully, the ATA would give me an answer over 50% (well, hopefully the right answer at over 50%, as I was leaning towards Africa).

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:27 am

I found that name hard to believe, too, but I replayed the tape to be sure

I have a friend who's ex was Kelly Kelly. When they divorced, she took back her maiden name. On purpose. I will never understand why people do weird things when naming their children.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

luv2jog

#7 Post by luv2jog » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 am

tlynn78 wrote:
I found that name hard to believe, too, but I replayed the tape to be sure

I have a friend who's ex was Kelly Kelly. When they divorced, she took back her maiden name. On purpose. I will never understand why people do weird things when naming their children.

t.
Here is an article about her appearance:

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 1/0/NEWS02

From the article:

"Kelly currently lives in New York City, and is the daughter of Shannon and Bill Kelly of Rye, who attended the taping."

Her maiden name was Kelly, so I would assume she is divorced and her daughter has a different last name.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 pm

luv2jog wrote: Her maiden name was Kelly, so I would assume she is divorced and her daughter has a different last name.
That makes sense, particularly since there was no mention of her husband while her parents were in the companion seats.

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:00 pm

Appa23 wrote:Apparently, I am the only person who would have needed to use a lifeline on the Snugli question.

I could eliminate A & B, but I can recall seeing pictures of mothers carrying babies in hip slings in Africa and Cemtral America. Hopefully, the ATA would give me an answer over 50% (well, hopefully the right answer at over 50%, as I was leaning towards Africa).
You were not the only one. As far as I know every part of the world does that, in some fashion or another.

Looks like this time an early use of an ATA did not prove problematic. I would have been able to save it until 16K at which point I would have used it, although I am not sure it would give you a substantial percentage. If I survive that one with the PAF then the 50K is an easy google and I would likely have to walk after that as both 100K Q were basically a 1 in 4 guess.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:02 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:]STQ $100,000

So why did they name a mutant dinosaurian monster "gorilla whale"?
Evidently the original concept of the monster had it looking like a gorilla but since it had an aquatic origin, "whale" was added.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."