Transcript 12/09/11 - Jackson Tejada

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/09/11 - Jackson Tejada

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:07 am

Jackson Tejada
Lakeland, FL

Jackson is beyond excited to be here. This is a lifelong dream. Jackson has a strategy in his mind--in his head, he's a millionaire--but now he's here and it may be completely different.

Meredith asks the computer to randomize the money and the questions. The unrandomized Topic Tree is not shown.

Topic Tree (Randomized)
?: All Mixed Up
?: Hand Game
?: Nature's Features
?: Old Animals
?: Tons of Talk
?: Big Election
?: Ring Tone
?: Dinner Time
?: Get Jiggy
?: Career Woman

Question #1 - Level ?: Career Woman
In one of her latest careers, Barbie has what job that requires she be sold with a hard hat and blueprints?

A: Architect B: Lawyer
C: Veterinarian D: Pilot
Answer/Value/Bank
A: Architect
Question Value: $15,000
Bank: $15,000

Question #2 - Level ?: Get Jiggy
In Jennifer Lopez's 2011 hit, she tells you to "drop it," "steal it quick" and "stay young" on the what?

A: Door B: Core
C: Floor D: Shore

Jackson doesn't know this song, but he can take a guess and one answer sticks out.
Answer/Value/Bank
C: Floor
Question Value: $25,000
Bank: $40,000

Question #3 - Level ?: Dinner Time
Before it's cooked, what type of pasta is often separated into squares using a grooved cutting wheel?

A: Linguini B: Penne
C: Ravioli D: Rigatoni
Answer/Value/Bank
C: Ravioli
Question Value: $7,000
Bank: $47,000

-- Commercial Break --

Merdith says that Jackson's name is distinction. Jackson says he's had many nicknames over the years, some of them unfortunate, like Michael Jackson and Latoya Jackson, until the movie Action Jackson came out. Now he's Action Jackson.

Question #4 - Level ?: Ring Tone
On the Olympic flag, the two rings that are furthest to the left are what two colors?

A: Black and green B: Blue and yellow
C: Green and blue D: Red and black

Jackson jumps the question.
Answer/Value/Bank
B: Blue and yellow
Question Value: $500

Question #5 - Level ?: Big Election
The first U.S. presidential election in which all fifty state voted resulted in the election of whom?

A: Dwight Eisenhower B: John F. Kennedy
C: Harry Truman D: Franklin Roosevelt

Answer/Value/Bank
B: John F. Kennedy
Question Value: $100

Question #6 - Level ?: Tons of Talk
Though it's around the size of California, what country tabulates over 800 living languages spoken by its inhabitants?

A: United Arab Emirates B: Nigeria
C: Papua New Guinea D: Singapore

Jackson asks the audience.
ATA
A: 21% B: 30% C: 25% D: 24%
Jackson walks away with $23,500.
Answer
C: Papua New Guinea

-- Commercial Break --

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 12/09/11 - Jackson Tejada

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #6 - Level ?: Tons of Talk
Though it's around the size of California, what country tabulates over 800 living languages spoken by its inhabitants?

ATA
Jackson walks away with $23,500.
Answer
C: Papua New Guinea
The comparison in size should have been a big clue; I eliminated Singapore and the UAE as being too small. I wasn't sure about the size comparison with Nigeria (it's actually twice the size of California) and I thought both Nigeria and Papua New Guinea were reasonable guesses for having many indigenous, tribal languages.

The CIA World Factbook says Nigeria does have a lot, so that's a tough distractor.
Languages:
English (official), Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo (Ibo), Fulani, over 500 additional indigenous languages

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:48 am

Here's what the CIA says about Papua New Guinea:
Languages:
Tok Pisin (official), English (official), Hiri Motu (official), some 860 indigenous languages spoken (over one-tenth of the world's total)
note: Tok Pisin, a creole language, is widely used and understood; English is spoken by 1%-2%; Hiri Motu is spoken by less than 2%
One-tenth of the world's total languages! :shock:

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:58 pm

On the Olympic flag, the two rings that are furthest to the left are what two colors?

Answer/Value/Bank
WWOQ! Oh well, guess I better start taking a closer look at logos.

ATA
Another WWOQ! Poor guy -- two of them in the same stack.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:28 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:

Answer/Value/Bank

ATA
Another WWOQ! Poor guy -- two of them in the same stack.
The first certainly was but the second seemed less so. As noted it was easy to cut two options and while I assumed Nigeria would have some additional local languages I would not have thought it was as many as reported. But I was sure PNG would have many different local languages. PNG would have been my answer with little hesitation and just a touch of luck as it turns out.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:46 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

Answer/Value/Bank
The first certainly was but the second seemed less so.
I guess people have different definitions of what constitutes a WWOQ. This flag is seen by, what, half the world every five minutes for 2 weeks every 2 years. I bet I've seen it hundreds of times more than my own state flag. What makes this question so wicked?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:22 am

Estonut wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:WWOQ! Oh well, guess I better start taking a closer look at logos.
I guess people have different definitions of what constitutes a WWOQ. This flag is seen by, what, half the world every five minutes for 2 weeks every 2 years. I bet I've seen it hundreds of times more than my own state flag. What makes this question so wicked?
Well, I guess if someone has a photographic memory and remembers every detail of every common thing they notice, it's not a WWOQ, at all.

I agree, though, that defining a WWOQ is a subjective matter. I'd put questions like this is a somewhat different category, of subjects that are familiar to everyone, but which we don't commonly remember all the details with certainty. Wicked, but for a different reason. Yes, there are five colors in that flag. Maybe a person can name them all. But remembering their order? Not necessarily so memorable.

Ask SSS about his flag question, which also involved something that Americans commonly see many, many times.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Estonut wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:The first certainly was but the second seemed less so.
Well, I guess if someone has a photographic memory and remembers every detail of every common thing they notice, it's not a WWOQ, at all.

I agree, though, that defining a WWOQ is a subjective matter. I'd put questions like this is a somewhat different category, of subjects that are familiar to everyone, but which we don't commonly remember all the details with certainty. Wicked, but for a different reason. Yes, there are five colors in that flag. Maybe a person can name them all. But remembering their order? Not necessarily so memorable.

Ask SSS about his flag question, which also involved something that Americans commonly see many, many times.
I like those sort of observational questions. Maybe it's because I do have a visual memory.

Ask the average person what the shape of a stop sign is and you'll get only about half of them right,
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Estonut wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:WWOQ! Oh well, guess I better start taking a closer look at logos.
As noted it is something we all see with some regularity but I doubt a significant (upwards of 80-90%) percent of the population could get it correct with any confidence (probably a majority of trivially inclined people would struggle with it as well) and it is not one you can work out to even reduce the answer. All 5 colors are noted in at least one of the answers and to my knowledge there is not a specific logical order to the colors. It is not alphabetical for example.

It is certainly trivia, which is good and far superior to random recent pop culture or obscure news items, but it is certainly difficult trivia even in trivia circles. Wicked indeed for the non trivially inclined.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

andrewjackson

#10 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:41 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Merdith says that Jackson's name is distinction. ...

Did Meredith actually say that? What a strange word to use. Or was it "distinctive"?

I know what he is saying about nicknames but I was called Action Jackson back in the 70s based on the toy, not some movie.
No matter where you go, there you are.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:02 pm

andrewjackson wrote:
Did Meredith actually say that? What a strange word to use. Or was it "distinctive"?

I know what he is saying about nicknames but I was called Action Jackson back in the 70s based on the toy, not some movie.
D'oh!

It was distinctive.

Will ear still be on his cruise, this week? If so, we'll be needing another substitute transcriptionist, this Friday. One who's demonstrated his proofreading skills would make a fine candidate, AJ. :wink:

andrewjackson

#12 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:

D'oh!

It was distinctive.

Will ear still be on his cruise, this week? If so, we'll be needing another substitute transcriptionist, this Friday. One who's demonstrated his proofreading skills would make a fine candidate, AJ. :wink:
I don't even know if the show is still on here.
No matter where you go, there you are.

IM4OSU

#13 Post by IM4OSU » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

This guy was one of the nicest in our contestant pool. We were in the waiting room together for one whole day and change. Glad to see he won; I agree that some of the questions were ungettable!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:21 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:

D'oh!

It was distinctive.

If no one else steps up, I can take it but I won't get to it before late Saturday night, Pacific Time. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

#15 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:21 pm

Estonut wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:
I don't know that it's wicked, but I saw it every day for over 13 years when I lived directly across the street from the Olympic Training Center (okay, technically it was catty corner) and I'd be hard pressed to even come up with the five colours. I remember that the black one is in the middle, but that's it.

It's harder to remember things you see all the time, because you don't really see them. I think there was a question some time ago about the arrow in the FedEx logo. I have a friend who works for FedEx and told her that I'd never noticed it before and now I can't see anything else when I see a FedEx logo. She said that the vast majority of the people who see the arrow are kids.
Exeunt Regina......