Transcript 02/19/2008 Eric Melin (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/19/2008 Eric Melin (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:07 pm

Netflix Movie Week

Eric Melin
Lawrence, KS
Film critic

Has reviewed about 250 movies so far; his all-time favorite is This is Spinal Tap.

So far has only used ATA

$25,000
In the Howard Hughes film "Hell's Angels," who famously asked, "Would you be shocked if I put on something more comfortable"?
A. Ava Gardner B. Jane Russell
C. Carole Lombard D. Jean Harlow

$50,000
Before sparring with Tobey Maguire in "Spider-Man 2," Alfred Molina made his major film debut in what '80s blockbuster?
A. The Empire Strikes Back B. Beverly Hills Cop
C. Raiders of the Lost Ark D. Ghostbusters

His first instinct was Raiders, knows he was in Raiders, but he is worried it might be Empire because Empire came before Raiders and he has a feeling he might also have been in Empire. First leans to answering, then does 50/50.

50/50 used

This left A and C, and audience laughs. Mere reminds him it is random. Eric goes ahead with his first instinct and advances to the next question.

$100,000
Which of these literary adaptations is not a Merchant Ivory production?
A. Maurice B. The Wings of the Dove
C. Surviving Picasso D. The Golden Bowl

PAF Laura answers "Surviving Picasso" and asks for the other choices, as time runs out she says "Surviving Picasso"

Eric was leaning that way too but asks if he could still STQ. Mere says yes if he wants. He changes his mind and goes with Laura.

Unfortunately Luara was wrong and Eric leaves with $25,000.

Answers
$25K- D. Jean Harlow
$50K- C. Raiders of the Lost Ark
$100K- B. The Wings of the Dove

Commercial break

KillerTomato

#2 Post by KillerTomato » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:19 pm

I probably would have used my PAF to verify that "Wings of the Dove" wasn't Merchant/Ivory (I was about 75% sure). But the others were slam dunks for me.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 02/19/2008 Eric Melin (carryover contestant)

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:51 am

$25K: No clue. PAF.

$50K: No problem with this one.

$100K: I haven't seen any of those four films, but I've heard of "The Wings of the Dove" and "Surviving Picasso". I've seen clips of "Surviving Picasso" and it didn't seem to me like a Merchant Ivory film. However, there was no way I was gonna risk it on that kind of reasoning. Switch and hope for something better.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:31 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Netflix Movie Week

Eric Melin
Lawrence, KS
Film critic

Has reviewed about 250 movies so far; his all-time favorite is This is Spinal Tap.
Well, he has good taste, at least.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
In the Howard Hughes film "Hell's Angels," who famously asked, "Would you be shocked if I put on something more comfortable"?
A. Ava Gardner B. Jane Russell
C. Carole Lombard D. Jean Harlow
I might have gone with Jane Russell, but since I still have lifelines, I start using them. Let's go with ATA and hope.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Before sparring with Tobey Maguire in "Spider-Man 2," Alfred Molina made his major film debut in what '80s blockbuster?
A. The Empire Strikes Back B. Beverly Hills Cop
C. Raiders of the Lost Ark D. Ghostbusters

His first instinct was Raiders, knows he was in Raiders, but he is worried it might be Empire because Empire came before Raiders and he has a feeling he might also have been in Empire. First leans to answering, then does 50/50.

50/50 used

This left A and C, and audience laughs. Mere reminds him it is random. Eric goes ahead with his first instinct and advances to the next question.
I also knew he wasn't in "Empire", nor was he in "Ghostbusters". So I'd go with the 50/50 also and the results would have given me the answer. Once Eric mentioned the opening scene I realized that Indy's guide was Molina, but not recognizable.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000

PAF Laura answers "Surviving Picasso" and asks for the other choices, as time runs out she says "Surviving Picasso"

Eric was leaning that way too but asks if he could still STQ. Mere says yes if he wants. He changes his mind and goes with Laura.

What a shame! I wonder why Laura was so certain that she was right. As for me, I'd use STQ because this doesn't seem like an easy one for a PAF to Google.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:45 am

earendel wrote:

What a shame! I wonder why Laura was so certain that she was right. As for me, I'd use STQ because this doesn't seem like an easy one for a PAF to Google.
On the contrary. "Merchant Ivory movies" gives you a filmography as the first hit.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:47 am

Appa23 wrote:
earendel wrote:

On the contrary. "Merchant Ivory movies" gives you a filmography as the first hit.
Perhaps, but to read through the titles and then scan through the list might take more than 30 seconds. What was funny was it seemed as if Laura was consulting a written document - I thought I heard the sound of turning pages while she was on the call.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 am

Here's a brief article about Eric's appearance.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/feb/2 ... city_local