Transcript 02/13/12 Erica Rivera

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/13/12 Erica Rivera

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Erica Rivera
Parlin, NJ

Double Your Money Week

About a month ago, Erica’s sister dragged her to a taping of Millionaire, where she took the test to be on the show.

Topic Tree:

not shown

Topic Tree: (randomized)

Define This
Big Liar
Large Lakes
Big Money
The History of Fun
On the Radio (Double Money)
Angelic Words
TV Tie-ins
Space Cause
Contest Winners

Question 1 – Contest Winners
In 1959, a high school student named Robert Heft beat out thousands of submissions when his design for what chosen?
A. NASA logo
B. $2 bill
C. 50-star U.S. flag
D. Speed limit sign

JTQ 1
Spoiler
C. 50-star U.S. flag
$100
Bank - $0
Question 2 – Space Cause
Fittingly, what actress helped the SETI Institute resume its search for alien life after funding almost dried up in 2011?
A. Michelle Pfeiffer
B. Laura Linney
C. Jodie Foster
D. Reese Witherspoon
Spoiler
C. Jodie Foster
$2K
Bank - $2K
Question 3 – TV Tie-ins
What popular TV series offers fans a chance to buy a “blood orange” version of a drink that is featured on the show?
A. Breaking Bad
B. Game of Thrones
C. The Walking Dead
D. True Blood
Spoiler
D. True Blood
$5K
Bank - $7K
commercial break

Question 4 – Angelic Words
The motto of the notorious Hells Angels Motorcycle Club is “When we do right, nobody remembers, When we do wrong, nobody” what?
A. Cares
B. Lives
C. Forgets
D. Eats
Spoiler
C. Forgets
$3K
Bank - $10K
Question 5 – On the Radio (Double Money)
A SiriusXM radio channel, Praise plays what type of music?
A. Jazz
B. Classic rock
C. Gospel
D. Opera
Spoiler
C. Gospel
$7K (doubles to $14K)
Bank - $24K
Question 6 – The History of Fun
Built in 1884 at Coney Island, the Gravity Pleasure was an early form of a what?
A. Roller coaster
B. Freak show
C. Boardwalk
D. Ferris wheel

ATA
ATA results
71% A. Roller coaster
1% B. Freak show
1% C. Boardwalk
27% D. Ferris wheel

Spoiler
Erica couldn’t decide between roller coaster and Ferris wheel.

JTQ 2

Spoiler
A. Roller coaster
$15K
Bank - $24K
Question 7 – Big Money
Newt Gingrich’s populist credentials took a hit in 2011 after news that he once owed what store over $250,000?
A. Tiffany & Co.
B. Coach
C. Louis Vuitton
D. Neiman Marcus

Erica decides to leave with $12K.
Spoiler
A. Tiffany & Co.
commercial break

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 02/13/12 Erica Rivera

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:16 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 1 – Contest Winners
In 1959, a high school student named Robert Heft beat out thousands of submissions when his design for what chosen?
A. NASA logo
B. $2 bill
C. 50-star U.S. flag
D. Speed limit sign

JTQ 1
Spoiler
C. 50-star U.S. flag
$100
Bank - $0
So that's who SSS has to blame! :wink:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:21 pm

A. NASA logo
B. $2 bill
C. 50-star U.S. flag
D. Speed limit sign
From wiki:

"He designed the current U.S. flag in 1958 while living with his grandparents. He was 17 years old at the time and did the flag design as a class project. He unstitched the blue field from a family 48-star flag, sewed in a new field, and used iron-on white fabric to add 100 hand-cut stars, 50 on each side of the blue canton.
He originally received a B- for the project. After discussing the grade with his high school teacher, Stanley Pratt, it was agreed that if the flag was accepted by Congress, the grade would be reconsidered. Heft's flag design was chosen and adopted by presidential proclamation after Alaska and before Hawaii was admitted into the union in 1959. According to Heft, his teacher did keep to their agreement and changed his grade to an A for the project."
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Question 7 – Big Money
Newt Gingrich’s populist credentials took a hit in 2011 after news that he once owed what store over $250,000?
A. Tiffany & Co.
B. Coach
C. Louis Vuitton
D. Neiman Marcus

Spoiler
A. Tiffany & Co.
commercial break
I'll try ATA. I can't stand Newt so pretty much ignored everything about him.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheConfessor

#5 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
A. NASA logo
B. $2 bill
C. 50-star U.S. flag
D. Speed limit sign
From wiki:

"He designed the current U.S. flag in 1958 while living with his grandparents. He was 17 years old at the time and did the flag design as a class project. He unstitched the blue field from a family 48-star flag, sewed in a new field, and used iron-on white fabric to add 100 hand-cut stars, 50 on each side of the blue canton.
He originally received a B- for the project. After discussing the grade with his high school teacher, Stanley Pratt, it was agreed that if the flag was accepted by Congress, the grade would be reconsidered. Heft's flag design was chosen and adopted by presidential proclamation after Alaska and before Hawaii was admitted into the union in 1959. According to Heft, his teacher did keep to their agreement and changed his grade to an A for the project."
If they had thousands of submissions, how did they break ties for submitting the same design? There's only a few different ways to logically arrange 50 stars within a rectangle.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Question 7 – Big Money
A. Tiffany & Co.
B. Coach
C. Louis Vuitton
D. Neiman Marcus

Spoiler
A. Tiffany & Co.
commercial break
I'll try ATA. I can't stand Newt so pretty much ignored everything about him.
I thought this might have been a rare occasion when the political debates around here turned out to be on-topical, but the Search function didn't turn up a specific reference to "Tiffany" in any of those threads. :P

wintergreen48

#7 Post by wintergreen48 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 am

This was a very weird (for me) stack: except for the very last question, I did not 'know' the answers to any of them, but I was able to figure out the answers to all of them based upon the clues (which is kind of how Jeopardy! sometimes works):
A. NASA logo
B. $2 bill
C. 50-star U.S. flag
D. Speed limit sign
I never heard of this (that I can remember), but only one of the four choices had a notable design change made or approved in 1959, and that turns out to be right.
Question 2 – Space Cause
Fittingly, what actress helped the SETI Institute resume its search for alien life after funding almost dried up in 2011?
A. Michelle Pfeiffer
B. Laura Linney
C. Jodie Foster
D. Reese Witherspoon
I never heard of this (that I can remember), but only one of the four choices had a notable movie role that would be ‘fitting,’ and that turns out to be right.
Question 3 – TV Tie-ins
What popular TV series offers fans a chance to buy a “blood orange” version of a drink that is featured on the show?
A. Breaking Bad
B. Game of Thrones
C. The Walking Dead
D. True Blood
I never heard of this (that I can remember), and I’ve never watched any of these shows, one title makes more sense than the others (and for that one, at least, I know of a beverage of choice from other reading), and that turns out to be right.
Question 4 – Angelic Words
The motto of the notorious Hells Angels Motorcycle Club is “When we do right, nobody remembers, When we do wrong, nobody” what?
A. Cares
B. Lives
C. Forgets
D. Eats
I never heard of this (that I can remember), but only one of the four choices makes sense in context, and that turns out to be right.
Question 5 – On the Radio (Double Money)
A SiriusXM radio channel, Praise plays what type of music?
A. Jazz
B. Classic rock
C. Gospel
D. Opera
I never heard of this (that I can remember), but only one of the four choices really makes sense in the context of ‘Praise,’ and that turns out to be right. Of course, if hard rock/heavy metal had been a choice I might have gone the wrong way…
Question 6 – The History of Fun
Built in 1884 at Coney Island, the Gravity Pleasure was an early form of a what?
A. Roller coaster
B. Freak show
C. Boardwalk
D. Ferris wheel
I never heard of this (that I can remember), but only one of the four choices really has a gravity component, and that turns out to be right. One of the others would arguably have a ‘gravity component’ in the event it collapsed and everyone was smashed to the ground, but I know from elsewhere that that particular item was not invented (or built or whatever) until the Columbian Exposition in 1892-1893, so it could be excluded for that.
Question 7 – Big Money
A. Tiffany & Co.
B. Coach
C. Louis Vuitton
D. Neiman Marcus
The only one I remember ever hearing about. But is Gingrich (or was Gingrich) ever perceived to be a ‘populist’? There are a lot of words that come to my mind with ‘Gingrich,’ but ‘populist’ was never one of them.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

Snaxx

#8 Post by Snaxx » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: I thought this might have been a rare occasion when the political debates around here turned out to be on-topical, but the Search function didn't turn up a specific reference to "Tiffany" in any of those threads. :P
I wonder if you waded through the LS threads. There
Spoiler
could've been
quite a few references there. :P
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Erica Rivera
Parlin, NJ

Double Your Money Week

About a month ago, Erica’s sister dragged her to a taping of Millionaire, where she took the test to be on the show.
Oh, boy, yet another reluctant contestant. I guess TPTB like people who play hard to get.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 7 – Big Money
A. Tiffany & Co.
B. Coach
C. Louis Vuitton
D. Neiman Marcus

Spoiler
A. Tiffany & Co.
I guess she doesn't pay any attention to political discussions.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."