Transcript 3/2/2012 - Mark Lingenfelter (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 3/2/2012 - Mark Lingenfelter (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Mark Lingenfelter
Mifflinberg, PA
"Teaching artist" and performer

Mark is very happy to be back. He's already started creating a "splurge list". At first he was going to do practical things like get out of debt but then he thought about a smartphone, a "cute little V-necked sweater" and some brown shoes to go with it. The list gets longer every question he gets right. If he's going to be rich he wants to look good. Mark already has $45,500 in his bank but no lifelines remaining. His parents Joe and Ann are in the relationship seats. Just before starting the game Mark says that he beat himself up a little last night because of his game play.

Topic Tree: (randomized)
Moondance
Early Celebrity
Stop the Pop
Snack Slang
Hot Suit
Needless Worries
New Methods
All Mixed Up
Melodical Weapon
Watch Your Language

Question #9 (Early Celebrity)
Before the age of paparazzi, who came to the U.S. and called the men who took flash photos of him "licht affen," or "light monkeys"?
A - Vladimir Lenin
B - Mahatma Gandhi
C - Albert Einstein
D - Pablo Picasso

Mark thinks that the clues in the question are "before the paparazzi came to the U.S." Before mentioning the next clue he says,
Spoiler
"with a name like Lingenfelter I'm guessing that 'licht affen' is German. Maybe not"
. Based on that he thinks the answer is either
Spoiler
C or A
. He then says that on the way to the studio in the cab his mom...and starts breaking up. "She put her hand on my...I'm not going to cry on television...She looked me in the eye and said 'Just be sure'. And then she said, 'I want this for you'. I want this for me, too, but I'm not sure. I hate to think I got a tie on and came here to walk. There's like this part of me that wants to <groaning sound>. He's had a really great time but he's walking.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Albert Einstein)
Value: unrevealed
Bank: $22,750 (half the bank)

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 3/2/2012 - Mark Lingenfelter (carryover)

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:54 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #9 (Early Celebrity)
Before the age of paparazzi, who came to the U.S. and called the men who took flash photos of him "licht affen," or "light monkeys"?
A - Vladimir Lenin
B - Mahatma Gandhi
C - Albert Einstein
D - Pablo Picasso

Mark thinks that the clues in the question are "before the paparazzi came to the U.S." Before mentioning the next clue he says,
Spoiler
"with a name like Lingenfelter I'm guessing that 'licht affen' is German. Maybe not"
Spoiler
C or A
. He then says that on the way to the studio in the cab his mom...and starts breaking up. "She put her hand on my...I'm not going to cry on television...She looked me in the eye and said 'Just be sure'. And then she said, 'I want this for you'. I want this for me, too, but I'm not sure. I hate to think I got a tie on and came here to walk. There's like this part of me that wants to <groaning sound>. He's had a really great time but he's walking.
Spoiler
Argh!

Yes, that sounds German, Mr. Lingenfelter. So why do you think a Russian like Lenin would have used the phrase? And in case you think he'd have spoken German as a second language, how about using another clue to double check your answer: exactly when do you think Lenin might have come to the U.S.? :roll:

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Here are two articles about Mark's appearance.

First, this column clears up any confusion about what "art" this teaching artist performs.

http://qctimes.com/news/opinion/editori ... 3ce6c.html
Mark Lingenfelter, a frequent actor at Circa ‘21 Dinner Playhouse who has also played Crumpet the Elf in two versions of David Sedaris’ “Santaland Diaries,” got TV time this week as a contestant on “Who Wants to be a Millionaire.”
And this article clears up a question I had about the phrase he used on his first episode, about living in Mifflinberg "until now."

http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x1125105 ... gh-for-him
The 38-year-old teaching artist who lives in New York city was a contestant Thursday and Friday on the game show, which locally runs on WNEP at 12:30 p.m. weekdays.
So he's an actor living in New York City. WE/WE.

Oh, and he answers my criticism about walking away.
"My first reaction was 'I'm screwed,' " Lingenfelter said laughing yesterday, recalling when he saw Question #9. "There was a part of me that thought it was Einstein but too much doubt in my brain that I wasn't 100 percent sure."

He said later that several people told him Lenin couldn't be the answer because he never came to the United States. "See? If I had known that, I could have been more sure!" he said.
Yeah, those early communists were big stars here, always plagued by early paparazzi. :P

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Mark Lingenfelter
Mifflinberg, PA

Mark is very happy to be back. He's already started creating a "splurge list". At first he was going to do practical things like get out of debt but then he thought about a smartphone, a "cute little V-necked sweater" and some brown shoes to go with it. The list gets longer every question he gets right. If he's going to be rich he wants to look good. Mark already has $45,500 in his bank but no lifelines remaining. His parents Joe and Ann are in the relationship seats. Just before starting the game Mark says that he beat himself up a little last night because of his game play.
A - Vladimir Lenin
B - Mahatma Gandhi
C - Albert Einstein
D - Pablo Picasso

Spoiler
Spoiler
C or A
Spoiler
Mark, you should have gone with the obvious answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:36 pm

I would have answered that one solely on the basis of German's "das Licht" = light.

Oh well.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#6 Post by frogman042 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:50 pm

earendel wrote:
Mifflinberg, PA

A - Vladimir Lenin
B - Mahatma Gandhi
C - Albert Einstein
D - Pablo Picasso

Spoiler
Spoiler
C or A
Spoiler
Lenin lived in Zurich, Switzerland for a number of years and almost certainly knew German as well - so it is not out of the question that he could be easily eliminated - that said, given Einstein's aversion to the celeberty status that was showered on him in the U.S. and the clear German langauge association with him - Einstein would be the obvious answer.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:11 pm

frogman042 wrote:
earendel wrote:
Mifflinberg, PA

A - Vladimir Lenin
B - Mahatma Gandhi
C - Albert Einstein
D - Pablo Picasso

Spoiler
Spoiler
C or A
Spoiler
Lenin lived in Zurich, Switzerland for a number of years and almost certainly knew German as well - so it is not out of the question that he could be easily eliminated - that said, given Einstein's aversion to the celeberty status that was showered on him in the U.S. and the clear German langauge association with him - Einstein would be the obvious answer.
Lenin never came to the U.S. however.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.