Transcript 02/21/08 - Brent Massey (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/21/08 - Brent Massey (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 pm

NetFlix Movie Week

Brent Massey (carryover contestant)
Muskogee, OK
U.S. History teacher

Movies have always been a big part of Brent's life. When he was about ten, he used to dress up as Ace Venture, Pet Detective.

Brent's wife, Kara, is in the audience.

Brent is starting with $25,000 and the fourth lifeline.

$50,000
In "The Graduate," what is the name of the hotel where Benjamin and Mrs. Robinson have their tryst?

A: The Fillmore B: The Garfield
C: The McKinley D: The Taft

It's been a few years since Brent saw this movie and he can't remember the answer, so he switches the question. He probably would have guessed the Fillmore.

STQ $50,000
What actor had a role in three of the five movies that were nominated for Best Picture of 2002?

A: Jude Law B: Chris Cooper
C: John C. Reilly D: Ian McKellen

2002 was the year Brent graduated high school.

Brent has it narrowed down to Chris Cooper and John C. Reilly. He goes with John C. Reilly, final answer.

Meredith: Chicago, The Hours and Gangs of New York; roles in all three. John C. Reilly!

Brent will pay off some college debt with the money and his wife and he are thinking of getting a puppy. And maybe a downpayment on a house.

$100,000
The Kirsten Dunst comedy "Bring It On" depicts the rivalry between what too cheerleading squads?

A: Flyers and Daisies B: Toros and Clovers
C: Lobos adn Posies D: Riders and Acorns

Brent knows this one. His wife and sister like this movie.

-- Commercial Break --

Kara knew the answer to the last question and was going to kill Brent if he didn't know it.

$250,000
What Jim Carrey movie features the "Millionaire"-inspired line "Is that your final answer?"

A: Me, Myself & Irene B: Bruce Almighty
C: Fun With Dick and Jane D: How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Brent isn't sure and this is too much to risk. He walks with $100,000. He probably would have said Bruce Almighty.

Answers:
$50,000: D: The Taft
STQ $50,000: C: John C. Reilly
$100,000: B: Toros and Clovers
$250,000: B: Bruce Almighty

KillerTomato

Re: Transcript 02/21/08 - Brent Massey (carryover contestant

#2 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:06 pm

$50,000
In "The Graduate," what is the name of the hotel where Benjamin and Mrs. Robinson have their tryst?

It's been several years for me, too. I had it narrowed down to B and D. With all 4 lifelines available, I probably would use the ATA to see if there was something obvious I was missing (and because I probably wouldn't trust them after this question anyway), then 50/50 and hope that either A or C was left with either B or D. Let's assume I got this right, which means I wouldn't have seen:

STQ $50,000
What actor had a role in three of the five movies that were nominated for Best Picture of 2002?

Alas, I knew this cold. In hindsight, maybe I should have switched!

$100,000
The Kirsten Dunst comedy "Bring It On" depicts the rivalry between what too cheerleading squads?

Then again, I'm glad I could still STQ, since I have no clue on this...I've never seen it (and probably never will).

$250,000
What Jim Carrey movie features the "Millionaire"-inspired line "Is that your final answer?"

I knew this one cold, too. So I'd be looking at the $500K question with the PAF left.

I will say that the Movie Week is tougher this year than last...
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Appa23

#3 Post by Appa23 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:04 pm

KillerTomato wrote: $100,000

Then again, I'm glad I could still STQ, since I have no clue on this...I've never seen it (and probably never will).
You definitely should see this movie. It is great "guilty pleasure" fun.

Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku, Gabrielle Union, plus Claire Kramer (the chick who played Glory on Buffy).

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:00 am

$50K: It's been years since I've seen this film, so I would've taken the PAF.

$50K #2: Man, am I glad I never would've seen this question! I was in the wrong year. I thought it was McKellen. I immediately said "Lord of the Rings", "Gods and Monsters", and "Gosford Park"... but I now realize that "G&M" came out in 1998 and he wasn't even in "GP".

$100K: Switch. Hope for a better question. Assuming that it's a question in my wheelhouse...

$250K: I would've lost $75K here. I thought for sure that it wasn't "Bruce Almighty". Taking the 50:50, I would've locked in with whichever answer wasn't B.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brent Massey (carryover contestant)
Muskogee, OK
U.S. History teacher
OK, a teacher - and from Oklahoma, so two reasons to root for him. Plus he really seemed like a nice guy.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Movies have always been a big part of Brent's life. When he was about ten, he used to dress up as Ace Venture, Pet Detective.
Well, his taste in movies is somewhat questionable.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50,000

It's been a few years since Brent saw this movie and he can't remember the answer, so he switches the question. He probably would have guessed the Fillmore.
I have no lifelines, either, so I'd STQ. My thought would have been McKinley.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: STQ $50,000

Hmmm...I'd have been torn between A and D; I don't know who Chris Cooper is and not sure about John C. Reilly. Time to walk away.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:2002 was the year Brent graduated high school.
Meredith's comment about that being a depressing thought resonated with me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100,000

Brent knows this one. His wife and sister like this movie.
I've already walked - just as well because I don't know this one, either.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $250,000

Brent isn't sure and this is too much to risk. He walks with $100,000. He probably would have said Bruce Almighty.
Hmmm...a fan of "Ace Ventura" gets a Jim Carrey question. What are the odds? This one I knew, but would never have made it to this point.

So it seems as if the show really did pick movie nuts. Brent made a good run through the stack.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

KillerTomato

#6 Post by KillerTomato » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:12 pm

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: STQ $50,000

Hmmm...I'd have been torn between A and D; I don't know who Chris Cooper is and not sure about John C. Reilly. Time to walk away.

Chris Cooper is one of those actors that you see all the time, and is always very solid -- even outstanding -- but can't pull the name. If you saw "American Beauty," he was the Marine dad who lived next door to Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening (and was married to Allison Janney from "West Wing". He won an Oscar for his supporting role as the Orchid Thief in "Adaptation" (minus a couple of teeth). In "The Bourne Identity" he was the CIA guy who was so intent on catching Matt Damon, and was the Kansas detective in "Capote".
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:31 am

CC has also played main characters in 3 or 4 John Sayles movies, including "Matewan" and "Lone Star".

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:40 am

I saw "Lone Star" and "A Time to Kill" on opening day, which was the same for both. One starred Chris Cooper and featured Matthew McConaughey, and the other starred MM and featured CC.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.