Overdose of Testosterone with the Mods list?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

Overdose of Testosterone with the Mods list?

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm just sayin
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Bob Juch

Re: Overdose of Testosterone with the Mods list?

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:17 pm

a1mamacat wrote:I'm just sayin
Mine is in serious decline.

I didn't ask for it, someone tossed me a bone I guess.

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:51 pm

What Mods list? Am I missing something? I have no idea who has Moderator and Administrator powers on this board. Is there a post somewhere that gives the details? This may wind up being a good home and I thank whoever did this, but I don't understand what's the deal with all the secrecy. It seemed to me that we were carjacked on the Yellow Brick Road and we've been taken to the Emerald City and told to "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Frankly, I'm very glad I didn't "win" this contest. I'm sure this site will be much better than the old ABC.go board. However, I don't understand why it was set up with the old phpBB2 instead of the phpBB3 that Bob Juch used, which had some nicer features. Can that be changed, or was there some unexplained valid reason for choosing the older version? Here's a feature comparison:
http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

I'm also wondering why people are so willing to jump on this bandwagon when they don't know who's driving it. That was one of the main concerns about all the other options -- we wondered what keeps a mysterious "free" hosting site going and how long it would stay around. Seems like the same questions apply to whoever it was who set up this board. I hope our benevolent host stays healthy and nobody pisses him off. Are there any backup plans in place, in case the owner gets hit by a bus?

As far as I know, everyone who stepped in to try to resolve this problem had honorable intentions. I sincerely thank everyone who attempted to be part of the solution. If this is where we all wind up, I think it will be fine, and if there are ways to improve it (like maybe using phpBB3??), I think we can all continue to be part of that process.

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 pm

At the top of the first page is a list of the Mods, and ( LOL ) you are on it, Ed.

I don't understand the secret benefactor thing either, and it is a little disturbing.

I just want all the travelling to be over with.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:57 am

I am not put off by the secrecy.

eyegor said we could find out who it was by sending him an e-mail. That isn't very secret. I prefer to speculate and not know until the benefactor wants everyone to know, if ever.

Whether it's tubadave or ace or anyone else I have guessed makes no difference to me. Maybe whoever it is didn't want their 'personality' to interfere with people coming here. Maybe they have the reverse of a messiah complex - I don't care. I am just thankful to have a place.

I just want us all to be together - with the occasional feistiness, the occasional supportiveness and always the differing opinions. That is what makes us us.

I do wish we could have those bouncy thingies that make marley crazy. I really liked that about bobjuch's board.

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:59 am

Oh - I also agree with saucy - whole lotta mens type and no womens type as moderators.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:43 am

Yeah, it's got nothing to do with being a gesture of conciliation to those who put in all the work in setting up the alternate candidate board or with spending countless hours recording Bored history.

:P

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:54 am

TheConfessor wrote: I'm also wondering why people are so willing to jump on this bandwagon when they don't know who's driving it. That was one of the main concerns about all the other options -- we wondered what keeps a mysterious "free" hosting site going and how long it would stay around. Seems like the same questions apply to whoever it was who set up this board. I hope our benevolent host stays healthy and nobody pisses him off. Are there any backup plans in place, in case the owner gets hit by a bus?

I've communicated with Eyegor and our secret benefactor by PM, so now I know. But I agree that Eyegor could have handled this transition more gracefully, by offering this Bored as a new candidate and then allowing some discussion/voting to build a consensus. Since he has been allowing us to change our votes, I've e-mailed my new vote in favor of this Bored to him at saveourbored@gmail.com and I'd encourage others to do the same, to provide some democratic legitimacy to this Bored.

And, exactly because the unknown ownership of the other phpBB boards had become an issue for debate, I'm still urging our benefactor to publically come forward. He's being quiet out of a sense of modesty, not wanting any of the adulation we gave to Gary Love, but I don't think adulation is the issue here. Come forward, and then we can ignore you, if that's what you want (except for the moderators and others who might want to insure continuity in the event of "getting hit by a bus".)

And we should continue to pursue other technical fine points, such as upgrading from phpBB version 2 to version 3.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#9 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:54 am

Yeah, well, saucy--it's about time the menfolks did the heavy lifting!

I doubt they'll start censoring shoe posts. If they do, well, we have ways of making their lives merry hell....

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:03 am

minimetoo26 wrote:Yeah, well, saucy--it's about time the menfolks did the heavy lifting!

I doubt they'll start censoring shoe posts. If they do, well, we have ways of making their lives merry hell....
I'm going to have to ban this rogue poster minimetoo26. I aim to keep this a respectable joint.

Where's that red button at....?

lb13

minimetoo26

#11 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:05 am

After I put you and Troll in my avatar?!? Why, you ungrateful..... :P

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#12 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:06 am

minimetoo26 wrote:After I put you and Troll in my avatar?!? Why, you ungrateful..... :P
Where am I? I don't see Shemp....

lb13

minimetoo26

#13 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:08 am

You're the one in the middle getting beat up by the other two, ya know.... :P

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:10 am

minimetoo26 wrote:You're the one in the middle getting beat up by the other two, ya know.... :P
I still have most of my hair. I figured that was Troll....

lb13

minimetoo26

#15 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:15 am

Okay--now he's gonna beat you for real....

DevilKitty100

#16 Post by DevilKitty100 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: I'm also wondering why people are so willing to jump on this bandwagon when they don't know who's driving it. That was one of the main concerns about all the other options -- we wondered what keeps a mysterious "free" hosting site going and how long it would stay around. Seems like the same questions apply to whoever it was who set up this board. I hope our benevolent host stays healthy and nobody pisses him off. Are there any backup plans in place, in case the owner gets hit by a bus?

I've communicated with Eyegor and our secret benefactor by PM, so now I know. But I agree that Eyegor could have handled this transition more gracefully, by offering this Bored as a new candidate and then allowing some discussion/voting to build a consensus. Since he has been allowing us to change our votes, I've e-mailed my new vote in favor of this Bored to him at saveourbored@gmail.com and I'd encourage others to do the same, to provide some democratic legitimacy to this Bored.

And, exactly because the unknown ownership of the other phpBB boards had become an issue for debate, I'm still urging our benefactor to publically come forward. He's being quiet out of a sense of modesty, not wanting any of the adulation we gave to Gary Love, but I don't think adulation is the issue here. Come forward, and then we can ignore you, if that's what you want (except for the moderators and others who might want to insure continuity in the event of "getting hit by a bus".)

And we should continue to pursue other technical fine points, such as upgrading from phpBB version 2 to version 3.

ADULATION??? For what? Paying $35 (or so) to register a domain name and set up a bulletin bored that anyone with a modicum of techno savvy could have done.

While I'm glad to have a place where everyone can gather, this process is leaving me a little queasy. First the TOTAL lack of input from our membership, except the ones who set this place up, and then, secondly the TOTAL lack of input, except for the ones who set this place up, as to who the moderators would be. Yep, leaving me a little cold.

Are there rules? Are we to bow to mecca before we log in? Can we curse? Can we be disagreeable? Can we not be "in the clique" and still have posting privileges? Can we step on toes?

All way too dictatorial and secretive for my taste.

Adulation, indeed. My cup runneth over.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#17 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:24 am

DevilKitty100 wrote: Are there rules? Are we to bow to mecca before we log in? Can we curse? Can we be disagreeable? Can we not be "in the clique" and still have posting privileges? Can we step on toes?.
No

Yes

Hell yes

Damn straight

Feel free

Ouch!

lb13

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:27 am

DevilKitty100 wrote:All way too dictatorial and secretive for my taste.
Am I the only person here who's perused the Memberlist and drawn the obvious inference? --Bob

minimetoo26

#19 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:28 am

This was such an easy registration, and now I wish I had used my fake email address--I thought I was going to have to reply to something to be registered!

Anyone who would rather post elsewhere is of course free to do so. It seems as though anyone who wishes to post here is free to do so. So.

I need to go step on beast's toes harder--he hasn't tossed me out yet! :twisted:

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 am

Bob78164 wrote: Am I the only person here who's perused the Memberlist and drawn the obvious inference? --Bob
I'd make a lousy Sherlock Holmes; I had to ask, instead.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#21 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:32 am

minimetoo26 wrote:I need to go step on beast's toes harder--he hasn't tossed me out yet! :twisted:
What's a little toe stepping when I'm getting eye-gouged and conked on the head.....?

lb13

minimetoo26

#22 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:36 am

Like this one better? It seems to suit the tone.... :P

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#23 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:39 am

minimetoo26 wrote:Like this one better? It seems to suit the tone.... :P
Looks like me after I realized the Bored went down on the one day I forgot to archive the posts.... :evil:

lb13

minimetoo26

#24 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:42 am

[quote="littlebeast13"][quote="minimetoo26"]Like this one better? It seems to suit the tone.... :P[/quote]

Looks like me after I realized the Bored went down on the one day I forgot to archive the posts.... :evil:

lb13[/quote]

Hey, beast---

<--------------

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:45 am

Be careful before you cut that thing in half.... :P

lb13