Take Me Out To The Ballgame - Playoffs Round 2

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

Take Me Out To The Ballgame - Playoffs Round 2

#1 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:02 pm

Here are the matchups for this game:

#1 MACRAE
#4 Tanstaafl

#2 ferrante
#6 Eyegor

This game will remain open until sometime around the last half of next week. It will definitely close by Friday morning, so all four players still alive will need to play by then. Anyone besides our four semifinalists may play JFF if they wish....

Franchise Legends

Below are five well known former players who played their entire career for just one Major League team. Name the team they played for for 1 run each:

1. Ernie Banks

2. Sandy Koufax

3. Bob Gibson

4. Bob Feller

5. Jim Rice

Back To School

Below are five players who played college baseball. Match them to the university they played for from the list below for 1 run each:

6. Tony Gwynn

7. Mark McGwire

8. Bo Jackson

9. Kenny Lofton

10. Justin Verlander

Universities (1 distractor) - Texas A&M, Auburn, San Diego State, USC, Arizona, Old Dominion

Video Daily Double

You can do some neat things on this Bored! Identify the following players for 2 runs each:

11. Image

12. Image

13. Image

14. Image

15. Image

The Last...

For each of the following feats, name the most recent to accomplish it in the Major Leagues for 2 runs each:

16. Player to win his league's MVP award while playing for a team that finished last in its division

17. Player who qualified for the batting title to hit .390 or better in a season

18. Team to win 100 games in a season

19. Player to hit in at least 35 consecutive games

20. Pitcher to lose 20 games in a season

The Answer Is Three

One last time, here are five questions that have three and only three correct answers. You get one run for each correct answer, and may not list more than three answers for any one question:

21. Teams that have won back to back World Series titles since I was born in July 1975.

22. Official names of the stadium the San Francisco Giants have played in since 2000.

23. Major League franchises that have relocated to a different city twice since 1901.

24. Teams that won a one game regular season playoff during the 1990's.

25. Pitchers the Cardinals sent to Oakland in the trade for Mark McGwire on July 31, 1997.

The Grand Slam Question

The following question is worth 4 runs:

26. Who is the only player in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame to have played for the Seattle Mariners?

Extra Inning Tiebreaker

The following question will be used to break any ties in individual games by awarding the win to whoever is the closest to the actual number:

27. How many combined games under .500 are the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in their first 10 seasons?

Sultan of SWAG Question

The following multiple choice question deals with some personal connection I have to baseball, and is here merely to add a bit of a luck factor to the game. It is worth 5 runs if you can guess it correctly:

The odd doubleheader the Mariners and Indians played in the last week of the season had me puzzled. It's not exactly unheard of for postponed games to have to be made up in the opposite team's ballpark, as the Indians snowed out games was made up in Seattle. But for that team to retain their "home" status in the visiting team's ballpark? I'd never heard of that before, and apparently it hadn't happened in over 90 years. I even saw such a makeup game back in 2001, the last doubleheader I've seen in St. Louis (and unfortunately, probably ever will). The extra game in that DH was from an earlier rainout at the other team's ballpark, but the Cardinals were the home team for both games, and by virtue of that they played 82 home games and 80 road games in 2001. Which team had to give up a home game?

A. Colorado Rockies
B. Florida Marlins
C. Pittsburgh Pirates
D. Philadelphia Phillies

Who knew the TMOTTBG playoffs would drag out longer than the real playoffs....

macrae1234

#2 Post by macrae1234 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:10 pm

Franchise Legends

Below are five well known former players who played their entire career for just one Major League team. Name the team they played for for 1 run each:

1. Ernie Banks Cubs

2. Sandy Koufax Dodgers both Brooklyn and LA

3. Bob Gibson Cards

4. Bob Feller Indians

5. Jim Rice Red Sox

Back To School

Below are five players who played college baseball. Match them to the university they played for from the list below for 1 run each:

6. Tony Gwynn San Diego State

7. Mark McGwire USC

8. Bo Jackson Auburn

9. Kenny Lofton played in Basketball final 4 down I10 for Arizona

10. Justin Verlander old Dominion
Universities (1 distractor) - Texas A&M, Auburn, San Diego State, USC, Arizona, Old Dominion

Video Daily Double

You can do some neat things on this Bored! Identify the following players for 2 runs each:

11. Big Papi David Ortiz

12. Johan Santana

13. Johnny Damon

14. Matt Halliday

15. Adam Dunn

The Last...

For each of the following feats, name the most recent to accomplish it in the Major Leagues for 2 runs each:

16. Player to win his league's MVP award while playing for a team that finished last in its division A-Rod in 2003 the Rangers were 4th

17. Player who qualified for the batting title to hit .390 or better in a season Tony Gwynn in 1994

18. Team to win 100 games in a season 2005 Cardinals

19. Player to hit in at least 35 consecutive games Rollins over 2 years Utley if he doesn’t count

20. Pitcher to lose 20 games in a season Maroth for the Tigers

The Answer Is Three

One last time, here are five questions that have three and only three correct answers. You get one run for each correct answer, and may not list more than three answers for any one question:

21. Teams that have won back to back World Series titles since I was born in July 1975. Yankees Blue Jays and Reds are you ever young

22. Official names of the stadium the San Francisco Giants have played in since 2000. At&T Park, SBC Park, Pac Bell Park

23. Major League franchises that have relocated to a different city twice since 1901. Philadelphia, Kansas City, Oakland Athletics, Boston, Milwaukee Atlanta Braves and my particular favorite Milwaukee Brewers, St Louis Browns, Baltimore Orioles I make a lot of money on this one and the Baltimore Orioles being the original New York Yankees

24. Teams that won a one game regular season playoff during the 1990's. Seattle beat California, Cubs beat Giants and Mets beat Reds

25. Pitchers the Cardinals sent to Oakland in the trade for Mark McGwire on July 31, 1997.

The Grand Slam Question

26. Who is the only player in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame to have played for the Seattle Mariners? Gaylord Perry

Extra Inning Tiebreaker

The following question will be used to break any ties in individual games by awarding the win to whoever is the closest to the actual number:

27. How many combined games under .500 are the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in their first 10 seasons? 60 to 65 wins a year 35 under average 350

Sultan of SWAG Question

The following multiple choice question deals with some personal connection I have to baseball, and is here merely to add a bit of a luck factor to the game. It is worth 5 runs if you can guess it correctly:

The odd doubleheader the Mariners and Indians played in the last week of the season had me puzzled. It's not exactly unheard of for postponed games to have to be made up in the opposite team's ballpark, as the Indians snowed out games was made up in Seattle. But for that team to retain their "home" status in the visiting team's ballpark? I'd never heard of that before, and apparently it hadn't happened in over 90 years. I even saw such a makeup game back in 2001, the last doubleheader I've seen in St. Louis (and unfortunately, probably ever will). The extra game in that DH was from an earlier rainout at the other team's ballpark, but the Cardinals were the home team for both games, and by virtue of that they played 82 home games and 80 road games in 2001. Which team had to give up a home game?

B. Florida Marlins

eyégor
???????

Re: Take Me Out To The Ballgame - Playoffs Round 2

#3 Post by eyégor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:59 pm

AAAACKKK!!! Hey this one is tough. I haven't done any work since you posted it, trying to come up with answers.

Franchise Legends

1. Ernie Banks - Cubs

2. Sandy Koufax - Dodgers

3. Bob Gibson - Cards

4. Bob Feller - Indians

5. Jim Rice - RedSox

This is how you sucker your mark. I saw what is coming....

Back To School

6. Tony Gwynn - San Diego State

7. Mark McGwire - USC

8. Bo Jackson - Auburn

9. Kenny Lofton - This was the toughie. But he doesn't strike me as an Aggie - Arizona

10. Justin Verlander - Old Dominion I have no clue how I know this

Video Daily Double

Now I have to know what they look like????

11. David Ortiz

12. Dunno - SWAG - Boof Bonser

13. Johnny Damon, after they didn't sign him for the GEICO ads

14. Does anyone outside Colorado know what any of the Rockies look like?? - Garrett Atkins

15. I'd say Sean Casey, but he's gone. So is Kearns, So Adam Dunn

The Last... Round for me

16.A-Rod. If you didn't put division in the Q I think I would have knee jerked Banks

17. The aforementioned Mr. Gwynn

18. The Cards a few years ago (you don't want the year, I hope)

19. Jimmy Rollins around the corner style

20. Mike Maroth & Brian Kingman is still pissed

The Answer Is Three

21. Yanks (twice), Reds & uhhh I'll say the A's but I think that was before your time

22. ATT, SBC & PacBell Park(s)

23. Braves, A's & the Browns/Orioles but I can't remember what the 3rd city wasfor them

24. Ahhh crap, I don't know - Mets, Mariners & Cards?

25. What's this? A Uniplatinum or Pumpkin Eater test? Does anyone know at all? Well, I do know it included the Immortal Blake Stein, but that's all I got

The Grand Slam Question

26. Had to be early on. Nobody drafted aging hitters since the 60s expansions. So, a pitcher, a compiler. So Niekro? nah Perry? could be Sutton? another could be. Don Sutton

Extra Inning Tiebreaker

27. Ugh! 100-62 is 38*10 = 380. Take off 10% for the better years 342

Sultan of SWAG Question

B. Florida Marlins Because the Dolphins wouldn't let 'em play in Miami.

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:58 am

Spoiler
littlebeast13 wrote:
Franchise Legends

1. Ernie Banks
Cubbies
2. Sandy Koufax
Trolley Dodgers
3. Bob Gibson
Redbirds
4. Bob Feller
The Tribe
5. Jim Rice
BoSox

Back To School

6. Tony Gwynn
San Diego State
7. Mark McGwire
Texas A&M?
8. Bo Jackson
Auburn
9. Kenny Lofton
Arizona
10. Justin Verlander
Old Dominion?
Universities (1 distractor) - , , , USC, ,

Video Daily Double

Yikes! Shoulda paid more attention to the pics on the BBBL…
Hopefully they are all "big name" players as the ones I do recognize appear to be.
11. Image
David Ortiz
12. Image
Johann Santana?
13. Image
Johnny Damon
14. Image
Matt Holiday?
15. Image
Adam Dunn?

The Last...

16. Player to win his league's MVP award while playing for a team that finished last in its division
Barry Bonds?
17. Player who qualified for the batting title to hit .390 or better in a season
Tony Gwynn
Cardinals
Chase Utley last year?
I dunno. Jose Contreras. I know he lost a bunch last year, mostly for the SABs as I recall.

The Answer Is Three

21. Teams that have won back to back World Series titles since I was born in July 1975.
Damnyankees, Blue Jays and maybe the Reds in 75/76 I believe.
22. Official names of the stadium the San Francisco Giants have played in since 2000.
Pac Bell, SBC and AT&T Park
23. Major League franchises that have relocated to a different city twice since 1901.
Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia/KC/Oakland A’s, and I dunno. Maybe the Orioles? Used to be the St. Louis Browns and were perhaps somewhere else before that? Can't think of anything else.
Cubs, Hatedmets and I dunno. Angels?
Not a clue.

The Grand Slam Question

26. Who is the only player in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame to have played for the Seattle Mariners?
I dunno. Somebody who moved around alot.

Extra Inning Tiebreaker

27. How many combined games under .500 are the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in their first 10 seasons?

Sultan of SWAG Question

A. Colorado Rockies.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

takinover

#5 Post by takinover » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:28 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Anyone besides our four semifinalists may play JFF if they

wish....
Franchise Legends

Below are five well known former players who played their entire career for just one Major

League team. Name the team they played for for 1 run each:

1. Ernie Banks - Cubs

3. Bob Gibson - Cardinals

4. Bob Feller - Indians

5. Jim Rice - Red Sox

Back To School

Below are five players who played college baseball. Match them to the university they

played for from the list below for 1 run each:

6. Tony Gwynn - San Diego St.

7. Mark McGwire - USC

8. Bo Jackson - Auburn

9. Kenny Lofton - Arizona (thanks for the distractor, I was thinking Arizona State)

10. Justin Verlander - 50/50 I will say Old Dominion

Video Daily Double

11. Image - David "Big

Papi" Ortiz

12. Image - Johan

Santana

13. Image - Johnny

Damon

14. Image - Troy

Tulowitski - and this is one of the problem with the Rockies and the TV ratings. Who?

15. Image - Josh

Hamilton or Adam Dunn. I will say Dunn.

The Last...

For each of the following feats, name the most recent to accomplish it in the Major Leagues

for 2 runs each:

16. Player to win his league's MVP award while playing for a team that finished last in its

division - A-Rod and the 2002 Rangers.

17. Player who qualified for the batting title to hit .390 or better in a season - Tony

Gywnn during the 1994 strike

18. Team to win 100 games in a season - 2004 Yankees

19. Player to hit in at least 35 consecutive games - Jimmy Rollins over 2 season 05 and 06 I

think.

20. Pitcher to lose 20 games in a season - Mike Maroth in 2003

The Answer Is Three

One last time, here are five questions that have three and only three correct answers. You

get one run for each correct answer, and may not list more than three answers for any one

question:

21. Teams that have won back to back World Series titles since I was born in July 1975. -

Yankees, Blue Jays, Reds

22. Official names of the stadium the San Francisco Giants have played in since 2000. - Pac

Bell, 3Com, AT&T

23. Major League franchises that have relocated to a different city twice since 1901. -

Boston Milwaukee Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Kansas City Oakland Athletics, Cleveland St

Louis Browns Baltimore Orioles

24. Teams that won a one game regular season playoff during the 1990's. - Mariners (1995),

Cubs (1998) for sure and 50/50 betwen Padres and Dodgers I will say Padres.

The Grand Slam Question

26. Who is the only player in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame to have played for the

Seattle Mariners? Harold Reynolds??

Extra Inning Tiebreaker

The following question will be used to break any ties in individual games by awarding the

win to whoever is the closest to the actual number:

27. How many combined games under .500 are the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in their first 10

seasons? - 323

Sultan of SWAG Question

The following multiple choice question deals with some personal connection I have to

baseball, and is here merely to add a bit of a luck factor to the game. It is worth 5 runs

if you can guess it correctly:

The odd doubleheader the Mariners and Indians played in the last week of the season had me

puzzled. It's not exactly unheard of for postponed games to have to be made up in the

opposite team's ballpark, as the Indians snowed out games was made up in Seattle. But for

that team to retain their "home" status in the visiting team's ballpark? I'd never heard of

that before, and apparently it hadn't happened in over 90 years. I even saw such a makeup

game back in 2001, the last doubleheader I've seen in St. Louis (and unfortunately, probably

ever will). The extra game in that DH was from an earlier rainout at the other team's

ballpark, but the Cardinals were the home team for both games, and by virtue of that they

played 82 home games and 80 road games in 2001. Which team had to give up a home game?

B. Florida Marlins

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:46 am

Ba-da-bump!

lb13

eyégor
???????

#7 Post by eyégor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:44 am

floating to the top

mellytu74

#8 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:57 pm

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

(need to read the directions on spoilers)

Franchise Legends

1. Ernie Banks / Cubs

2. Sandy Koufax / Dodgers

3. Bob Gibson / Cardinals

4. Bob Feller / Indians

5. Jim Rice / Red Sox

Back To School

6. Tony Gwynn / San Diego State

7. Mark McGwire / USC

8. Bo Jackson / Auburn

9. Kenny Lofton / Arizona

10. Justin Verlander / Old Dominion

Video Daily Double

11. David Ortiz

12. Johan Santana? It's not Torii Hunter

13. Johnny Damon

14. Matt Holliday

15. Adam Dunn

The Last...

Andre Dawson? That far back?

Tony Gwynn

The Cardinals, a couple years ago.

Jimmy Rollins

Maroth??

The Answer Is Three

Cincinnati Reds, New York Yankees, Toronto Blue Jays

Pac Bell Park, AT&T Park, and ???

Philadaelphia/Kansas City/Oakland A's
Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves
Milwaukee Brewers/St. Louis Browns/Baltimore Orioles

Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs, ??

TJ Matthews, ??, ??

The Grand Slam Question

Extra Inning Tiebreaker

Sultan of SWAG Question

B. Florida Marlins

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:12 pm

littlebeast13 wrote: 14. Image

Spoiler
Matt Holliday :mrgreen:
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Answers - Take Me Out To The Ballgame - Playoffs Round 2

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:40 am

Franchise Legends

1. Ernie Banks - Cubs

3. Bob Gibson - Cardinals

4. Bob Feller - Indians

5. Jim Rice - Red Sox

Back To School

6. Tony Gwynn - San Diego State

7. Mark McGwire - USC

8. Bo Jackson - Auburn

9. Kenny Lofton - Arizona

10. Justin Verlander - Old Dominion

Video Daily Double

11. Image

David Ortiz

12. Image

Johan Santana

13. Image

Johnny Damon

14. Image

Matt Holliday

15. Image

Adam Dunn

The Last...

16. Player to win his league's MVP award while playing for a team that finished last in its division - Alex Rodriguez (For Texas in 2003)

17. Player who qualified for the batting title to hit .390 or better in a season - Tony Gwynn (.394 in 1994)

18. Team to win 100 games in a season - Cardinals (Went 100-62 in 2005)

19. Player to hit in at least 35 consecutive games - Chase Utley (Who had a 35 game hitting streak in July-August 2006 (I saw Game #34 in the streak). Rollins' 38 game streak was split between the 2005-06 seasons)

20. Pitcher to lose 20 games in a season - Mike Maroth (Kip Wells coulda done it had they kept running him out there this year)

The Answer Is Three

21. Teams that have won back to back World Series titles since I was born in July 1975. - Reds, Yankees (twice), and Blue Jays

22. Official names of the stadium the San Francisco Giants have played in since 2000. - Pac Bell Park, SBC Park, AT&T Park (Same company, two name changes.... and another reason naming rights deals should be outlawed)

A's (Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Oakland)
Braves (Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta)
Brewers/Browns/Orioles (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Baltimore... and they changed their name each time they moved too!)

24. Teams that won a one game regular season playoff during the 1990's. - Mariners, Cubs, Mets

25. Pitchers the Cardinals sent to Oakland in the trade for Mark McGwire on July 31, 1997. - T.J. Mathews, Eric Ludwick, Blake Stein (What a deal...)

The Grand Slam Question

26. Who is the only player in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame to have played for the Seattle Mariners? - Gaylord Perry

Extra Inning Tiebreaker

27. How many combined games under .500 are the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in their first 10 seasons? - 327 (They are 645-972)

Sultan of SWAG Question

A. Colorado Rockies
B. Florida Marlins
C. Pittsburgh Pirates
D. Philadelphia Phillies

I figured this one could be logically guessed at. The DH took place on 8/3/01, and I'm not sure why they couldn't find a date to make the game up in Florida, but I'm glad they didn't...

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Scores

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:43 am

#1 MACRAE 49
#4 Tanstaafl 36

#2 ferrante 41
#3 Eyegor 40

JFF: takinover 39

The top seed MAC cruises to the World Series for the second straight season, and will be challenged by ferrante, who just squeaked by Eyegor in an exciting LCS.

The World Series game will be posted shortly......

mellytu74

#12 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:19 pm

SPROTS!!

You are so funny!

:lol: