Transcript 02/22/2008 - John Deligiannis

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/22/2008 - John Deligiannis

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:52 pm

John Deligiannis
Chicago, IL

John is very excited. He's wearing a hospital bracelet because his wife gave birth to their son three days ago.

$100 - What is the title of the 1995 Ed Burns film about three Irish Catholic siblings from Long Island?

A - The Brothers Goldbert
B - The Brothers Takahashi
C - The Brothers McMullen
D - The Brothers Doobie

John saw this movie at the theater when it came out.

$200 - In the 2007 film "The Brave One," who plays the brave one?

A - Charlize Theron
B - Naomi Watts
C - Jodie Foster
D - Reese Witherspoon

John has no idea so he decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 7%
B - 4%
C - 84%
D - 5%

John trusts the audience; it looks like a smart group.

Commercial break

John is a father for the second time - this son is named Dimitri, his older son is Alex. John subscribed to Netflix in preparation for his appearance - Meredith says that he gets a free subscription (as does the rest of the audience).

$300 - In a classic 1968 film, Charlton Heston says, "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty" what?

A - ape
B - leopard
C - ferret
D - dinosaur

$500 - Playing a former high school jock, Dennis Quaid made one of his first big-screen appearances in what 1979 cycling film seen here? (The screen shows a still with Quaid in white T-shirt and shorts and an orange helmet, riding a bicycle.)

A - Over the Edge
B - The Electric Horseman
C - The Main Event
D - Breaking Away

John hasn't seen it (but he means to).

$1K - In the comedy classic "This is Spinal Tap," the famous quote "These go to eleven" refers to what?

A - guitar amplifiers
B - piano keys
C - car tires
D - elevator buttons

John chuckles all the way through the question.

John's next question is the Netflix film clip question.

$2K - Two New Yorkers discuss the age-old "good personality" dilemma in this scene from what classic comedy?

[Transcriber's note - I'm not going to try and reproduce the dialog, but there are two actors featured in it; one is Billy Crystal and another actor sporting a black moustache. The "dilemma" is about girls who are described as having "good personalities" - are they good-looking or not?]

A - Throw Momma from the Train
B - When Harry met Sally
C - Forget Paris
D - City Slickers

John loves this movie.

$4K - In what romantic comedy do Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock play sisters who also happen to be witches?

A - The Craft
B - Hocus Pocus
C - Bewitched
D - Practical Magic

John knows that Nicole Kidman was in Bewitched but doesn't know if she was in two witch-themed movies. He asks for the 50/50, which leaves A and D. John knows it's not The Craft.

$8K - Saying he is "father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife," what film's hero states, "I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next"?

A - Gladiator
B - Braveheart
C - The Patriot
D - A History of Violence

John says, "The character was Maximus Aurileus Decimus, I believe."

Commercial break

John is working very hard to bring home the bacon for his two sons. It hasn't quite sunk in yet.

$16K - In "Rushmore," Max Fischer stages a play based on what classic Al Pacino movie?

A - Dog Day Afternoon
B - Serpico
C - Scarface
D - The Godfather: Part II

John has a friend who would be very upset that he doesn't know the answer, so he'll have to use his phone-a-friend. Meredith asks if that's who he's going to call. No, John replies, he's going to call Brooke, who sits in the cubicle next to him at work. He reads the question and there is total silence on the other end, and finally Brooke comes back and says, "Dog Day Afternoon." John asks if she's sure and she says, "not totally." John says that Brooke knows her movies and appreciates that she took time to wait by the phone to get his call. He makes A his final answer, leaving with $1K.

ANSWERS:
$100 - C (The Brothers McMullen)
$200 - C (Jodie Foster)
$300 - A (ape)
$500 - D (Breaking Away)
$1K - A (guitar amplifiers)
$2K - B (When Harry Met Sally)
$4K - D (Practical Magic)
$8K - A (Gladiator)
$16K - B (Serpico)

KillerTomato

#2 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Yet another WWOQ for $16K...

But how could he have missed the 10,000,001 ads on TV for "The Brave One"?
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 02/22/2008 - John Deligiannis

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:57 am

$200: <grumble>®... ask the audience.

$8K: There goes the PAF.

$16K: 50:50 wouldn't help me since I don't have the first damn clue. I'm done with $8,000.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:18 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:John Deligiannis
Chicago, IL

John is very excited. He's wearing a hospital bracelet because his wife gave birth to their son three days ago.
He has a very understanding wife, to let him leave her to be on a game show.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 - In a classic 1968 film, Charlton Heston says, "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty" what?

A - ape
B - leopard
C - ferret
D - dinosaur
AMC has been running movies that have ties to the Oscars (nominees in various categories); they ran Planet of the Apes on Saturday and I watched it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - Playing a former high school jock, Dennis Quaid made one of his first big-screen appearances in what 1979 cycling film seen here? (The screen shows a still with Quaid in white T-shirt and shorts and an orange helmet, riding a bicycle.)

A - Over the Edge
B - The Electric Horseman
C - The Main Event
D - Breaking Away

John hasn't seen it (but he means to).
Filmed at the "Little 500" in Bloomington, IN, an annual bicycle rally.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - Two New Yorkers discuss the age-old "good personality" dilemma in this scene from what classic comedy?

[Transcriber's note - I'm not going to try and reproduce the dialog, but there are two actors featured in it; one is Billy Crystal and another actor sporting a black moustache. The "dilemma" is about girls who are described as having "good personalities" - are they good-looking or not?]

B - When Harry met Sally
C - Forget Paris
D - City Slickers

John loves this movie.
The guy with the moustache looked and sounded like Joe Pesci but checking imdb.com I see that he wasn't in the movie. I've never seen When Harry Met Sally but I know enough about Billy Crystal movies to know it's not any of the others.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Saying he is "father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife," what film's hero states, "I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next"?

A - Gladiator
B - Braveheart
C - The Patriot
D - A History of Violence

John says, "The character was Maximus Aurileus Decimus, I believe."
Actually it was Maximus Decimus Meridus.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - In "Rushmore," Max Fischer stages a play based on what classic Al Pacino movie?

A - Dog Day Afternoon
B - Serpico
C - Scarface
D - The Godfather: Part II

John has a friend who would be very upset that he doesn't know the answer, so he'll have to use his phone-a-friend. Meredith asks if that's who he's going to call. No, John replies, he's going to call Brooke, who sits in the cubicle next to him at work. He reads the question and there is total silence on the other end, and finally Brooke comes back and says, "Dog Day Afternoon." John asks if she's sure and she says, "not totally." John says that Brooke knows her movies and appreciates that she took time to wait by the phone to get his call. He makes A his final answer, leaving with $1K.
No idea, so it's time to ATA and hope for a good result.

Nice of John to "reward" Brooke with the call; it's a shame she came up with the wrong answer and seemed so sure of it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mellytu74

#5 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:16 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - Two New Yorkers discuss the age-old "good personality" dilemma in this scene from what classic comedy?

B - When Harry met Sally
C - Forget Paris
D - City Slickers

John loves this movie.

The guy with the moustache looked and sounded like Joe Pesci but checking imdb.com I see that he wasn't in the movie. I've never seen When Harry Met Sally but I know enough about Billy Crystal movies to know it's not any of the others.

The actor is the wonderful late Bruno Kirby, who played the Young Clemenza in Godfather II, as well as Marlon Brando's nephew in The Freshman, a movie I absolutely love (even if a lot of other people didn't).

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:15 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:John Deligiannis
Chicago, IL

OK, I find this very odd. In that he is from Chicago, I am going to guess that he got the call more than three days ago, when his wife still was expecting. Why would he say, "yes" to travelling to New York?

Maybe the birth of the baby was scheduled, and his wife was induced. Still, he would not have known at the time of the call that everything would be fine with the baby. What if there were issues with jaundice or someo other medical condition? Plus, as the mothers on this Bored can attest, I know that my wife was in no condition to take care of a baby, by herself, three days after giving birth.

Believe me -- if he had said, "Thanks, but I can not fly to New York right now. My wife is giving birth," TPTB would have called him back for a later taping. They are great in that regard. :)

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:20 am

Appa23 wrote: Believe me -- if he had said, "Thanks, but I can not fly to New York right now. My wife is giving birth," TPTB would have called him back for a later taping. They are great in that regard. :)
1. Everyone is not familiar with how great TPTB are.

2. Netflix Movie Week was taped on one day only. Turn that down and you're done for the season and TPTB are likely to forget about you by next season.