Transcript 02/22/2008 - Matthew Klassen

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/22/2008 - Matthew Klassen

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Matthew Klassen
Glendale, AZ
College student

Matthew has an "80s nerd" look - touseled hair, open wide-collared shirt in yellow, and black-rimmed glasses. To save time Meredith goes right to the stack.

$100 - The classic movies "Alien" and Dune" take place primarily where?

A - underwater
B - in outer pace
C - at the equator
D - at Starbucks

Matthew says he's a big science fiction geek.

$200 - In a famous love scene from the 1990 movie "Ghost," the song "Unchained Melody" plays as a couple does what?

A - plays cards
B - cooks pasta
C - folds laundry
D - makes pottery

Matthew hasn't seen this movie and he'd like to "burn a lifeline" and ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 5%
B - 3%
C - 2%
D - 90%

Some of the audience members laugh when the results are revealed. "I guess they've seen it," Matthew says.

$300 - In the 2004 movie "Collateral," Jamie Foxx plays an unwilling accomplice who works as a what?

A - cab driver
B - security guard
C - pool cleaner
D - bartender

$500 - In the 1979 film "Norma Rae," Sally Field's character famously raises a sign bearing what word? (The screen shows a still from the film with Sally Field holding up the sign blanked out.)

A - Silence
B - Employee
C - Union
D - Dream

Matthew doesn't know and decides to call Erica. Matthew reads the question and Erica says, apologetically, "I don't know, but I'd guess 'Union'." Matthew says, "Thanks for trying." He then asks for the 50/50, leaving C and D.

Commercial break

Matthew is a film major.

$1K - In what movie does Paul Newman's character famously devour fifty hard-boiled eggs in a single hour?

A - The Color of MOney
B - Cool Hand Luke
C - The Hustler
D - Hud

Matthew asks if he could possibly catch a break. The audience laughs. He makes B his final answer and Meredith calls for a standing ovation from the audience. "Now for the movies I know," Matthew quips.

Matthew's next question is the Netflix film clip question.

[Transcriber's note - Again, I'm not going to try and reproduce the dialog. It's a monologue in which Lancaster's character talks about wishing to be able to step up to the plate, wink at the pitcher, and embrace third base as he slides in. The clothing is rather old-fashioned looking.)

$2K - What baseball movie features this apperance by legendary screen actor Burt Lancaster?

A - Field of Dreams
B - Bang the Drum Slowly
C - The Natural
D - Eight Men Out

Matthew leaps immediately to A as his answer.

$4K - In the 2007 movie "Michael Clayton," who is Michael Clayton?

A - a politician
B - an undercover cop
C - a con artist
D - a lawyer

Matthew again jumps on A as his final answer and leaves with $1K.

THE HORN!!!!!

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (in outer space)
$200 - D (makes pottery)
$300 - A (cab driver)
$500 - C (Union)
$1K - B (Cool Hand Luke)
$2K - A (Field of Dreams)
$4K - D (a lawyer)

KillerTomato

#2 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:24 pm

Here's the speech for the Netflix queston:

"Well, you know I... I never got to bat in the major leagues. I would have liked to have had that chance. Just once. To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?"

(IMDb is a wonderful thing...)

Obviously, this kid never saw a movie that was made before 1999.

But that said....This may be the first time I've ever seen an entire week go by on SyndiBAM that didn't have a single Where Elser.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 02/22/2008 - Matthew Klassen

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:59 am

Obviously, I would not have known the $4K if it weren't for the Oscars.

Nihil obstat®

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:23 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Matthew Klassen
Glendale, AZ
College student

Matthew has an "80s nerd" look - touseled hair, open wide-collared shirt in yellow, and black-rimmed glasses. To save time Meredith goes right to the stack.
When he came out elwing and I looked at each other and said, "He's not going very far."
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 - The classic movies "Alien" and Dune" take place primarily where?

A - underwater
B - in outer pace
C - at the equator
D - at Starbucks

Yeah, I can hear the ominous organ music starting to play.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - In the 1979 film "Norma Rae," Sally Field's character famously raises a sign bearing what word? (The screen shows a still from the film with Sally Field holding up the sign blanked out.)

A - Silence
B - Employee
C - Union
D - Dream

Matthew doesn't know and decides to call Erica. Matthew reads the question and Erica says, apologetically, "I don't know, but I'd guess 'Union'." Matthew says, "Thanks for trying." He then asks for the 50/50, leaving C and D.
Nope, not looking good at all.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Matthew is a film major.
elwing was totally shocked when Meredith said this. I admit I was a little taken aback as well.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K - In what movie does Paul Newman's character famously devour fifty hard-boiled eggs in a single hour?

A - The Color of MOney
B - Cool Hand Luke
C - The Hustler
D - Hud

Matthew asks if he could possibly catch a break. The audience laughs. He makes B his final answer and Meredith calls for a standing ovation from the audience. "Now for the movies I know," Matthew quips.
Yeah, let's embarrass poor Matthew while we're at it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Matthew's next question is the Netflix film clip question.

[Transcriber's note - Again, I'm not going to try and reproduce the dialog. It's a monologue in which Lancaster's character talks about wishing to be able to step up to the plate, wink at the pitcher, and embrace third base as he slides in. The clothing is rather old-fashioned looking.)

$2K - What baseball movie features this apperance by legendary screen actor Burt Lancaster?

A - Field of Dreams
B - Bang the Drum Slowly
C - The Natural
D - Eight Men Out

Matthew leaps immediately to A as his answer.
Well, I might have gone out as a thousandaire with this one - I was pretty sure it was "C" even before the answers came up.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In the 2007 movie "Michael Clayton," who is Michael Clayton?

A - a politician
B - an undercover cop
C - a con artist
D - a lawyer

Matthew again jumps on A as his final answer and leaves with $1K.
With all the Oscar talk (even before the end of last year) I'm surprised he didn't know this one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:THE HORN!!!!!
Well, at least he won't be coming back today to finish his run.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100 - The classic movies "Alien" and Dune" take place primarily where?

A - underwater
B - in outer space
C - at the equator
D - at Starbucks

Technically, Dune takes place primarily on the surface of the planet Arrakis, which is no more "outer space" than the surface of the planet Earth. 8)

A big science fiction geek would have pointed that out. :P

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:44 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100 - The classic movies "Alien" and Dune" take place primarily where?

A - underwater
B - in outer space
C - at the equator
D - at Starbucks

Technically, Dune takes place primarily on the surface of the planet Arrakis, which is no more "outer space" than the surface of the planet Earth. 8)

That was my first thought also.
MarleysGh0st wrote:A big science fiction geek would have pointed that out. :P
Maybe he did but it was edited out.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Well, that was ugly. He was lucky to get 1K.
MarleysGh0st wrote:

A - underwater
B - in outer space
C - at the equator
D - at Starbucks

A big science fiction geek would have pointed that out. :P
This gave me a momentary pause, making me a scifi geek I suppose. Although I suppose "outer space" from the perspective of Earth would include the atmospheres of other worlds. In any case it seems like that could have chosen a better example than "Dune" for that reason.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh