Transcript 05/08/2012 Shawn Kline

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/08/2012 Shawn Kline

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Shawn Kline
Livingston, NJ
Ophthalmologist

Mere commented on the similar shirt from yesterday's show. It is the same shirt and Shawn's lucky shirt.
His wife Cindy is in the audience. They have two sons, Jack (2.5 years) and Leo (8 months)

One JTQ and ATA remaining, bank $53,100

Topic Tree: (randomized)

Made in America
($2000)
($5000)
($10000)
(jumped $500)
($25000)
($100)
($3000)
($7000)
($1000)

Question 10 - Made in America
Historian James Truslow Adams popularized what phrase in his 1931 book "The Epic of America"?
A. Golden Parachute B. Filthy Rich
C. Pie in the Sky D. American Dream
Spoiler
Shawn is not familiar with this man but figured it would be D based on the title and date.
Mere reminded him of his lifelines, but he went for D, American Dream, final answer.
Answer and value
D. American Dream
Value: $15,000
Bank: $68,100

Question $100K
Only discovered in 2003, a moon named Cupid orbits what planet, which, oddly enough, isn't Venus?
A. Jupiter B. Uranus
C. Mercury D. Saturn

Shawn says he does not know but thinks the audience knows.
ATA
A-30% B-24% C-18% D-28%

Shawn decided it was a tough question. He thinks Mercury has no moons and that Jupiter and Saturn have many including some small ones. He's not sure how many Uranus has
(Both pronounce Uranus like Mere usually does)
JTQ 2
Answer
B. Uranus
Bank: Still $68,100 after JTQ
commercial break

Question $250K
What author was born into a wealthy family believed to be the origin of the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses"?
A. Jane Austen B. Edith Wharton
C. Margaret Mitchell D. Virginia Woolf
Spoiler
Shawn thinks it would be someone brought up in a wealthy family whose maiden last name would be Jones.
He is leaning A. Jane Austen wrote about high society. Not sure of the other ones.
Mere reminds him of the amounts he would leave with. He figures it would be a good gamble even a 1 in 4 guess.
He thinks Jane Austen might have been her real name. But he goes with his gut, A, final answer.
Answer
B. Edith Wharton
Bank: Shawn left with $25,000
...no break

earendel

Re: Transcript 05/08/2012 Shawn Kline

#2 Post by earendel » Wed May 09, 2012 5:35 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Shawn Kline
Livingston, NJ
Ophthalmologist

Mere commented on the similar shirt from yesterday's show. It is the same shirt and Shawn's lucky shirt.
His wife Cindy is in the audience. They have two sons, Jack (2.5 years) and Leo (8 months)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 10 - Made in America
Historian James Truslow Adams popularized what phrase in his 1931 book "The Epic of America"?
A. Golden Parachute B. Filthy Rich
C. Pie in the Sky D. American Dream
Spoiler
Shawn is not familiar with this man but figured it would be D based on the title and date.
Mere reminded him of his lifelines, but he went for D, American Dream, final answer.
Answer and value
D. American Dream
Value: $15,000
Bank: $68,100
It could conceivably be "filthy rich" given the time frame, but "American dream" makes the most sense.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question $100K
Only discovered in 2003, a moon named Cupid orbits what planet, which, oddly enough, isn't Venus?
A. Jupiter B. Uranus
C. Mercury D. Saturn

ATA
A-30% B-24% C-18% D-28%

Shawn decided it was a tough question. He thinks Mercury has no moons and that Jupiter and Saturn have many including some small ones. He's not sure how many Uranus has
JTQ 2
Answer
B. Uranus
I wouldn't count on the audience knowing this - it's a fairly obscure question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question $250K
What author was born into a wealthy family believed to be the origin of the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses"?
Spoiler
Shawn thinks it would be someone brought up in a wealthy family whose maiden last name would be Jones.
He is leaning A. Jane Austen wrote about high society. Not sure of the other ones.
Mere reminds him of the amounts he would leave with. He figures it would be a good gamble even a 1 in 4 guess.
He thinks Jane Austen might have been her real name. But he goes with his gut, A, final answer.
Answer
B. Edith Wharton
Kudos for his risk-taking. As for me, something led me to the Wharton School of Business, and that, in turn, led me to the right answer. However as it turns out, there doesn't seem to be any true connection between the two. From the comfort of my recliner I went for that answer; had I been at the Hot Podium with lifelines, I'd use one.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:37 am

Question $100K
A. Jupiter B. Uranus
C. Mercury D. Saturn

ATA
A-30% B-24% C-18% D-28%

JTQ 2
Answer
B. Uranus
I remember this coming up but obviously didn't pay attention. JTQ.
Question $250K
Spoiler
Answer
B. Edith Wharton
My guess would be Wharton. IIRC, Austen's family pre-dates the concept, and Mitchell and Woolf were both "old money," out of the rat race. I wouldn't stake that much money on it, however. JTQ 2.

OK, I looked it up. Wharton's bio notes the phrase, and it also notes "old money" in her background. All I had was a lucky guess.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:54 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question $250K
Spoiler
Answer
B. Edith Wharton
...no break
I knew this one absolutely cold, without choices. It was the last million-point question I faced from the Hot Seat. I missed it then. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson