Transcript 02/25/08 Helen Pinkston

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/25/08 Helen Pinkston

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:28 pm

Helen Pinkston
Kansas City, MO
Registered Nurse

Helen is wearing her lucky kinky boots. They appear to be pink, high-heeled, upper calf-high boots. Younger men tend to talk to her when she wears the boots.

$100 Tally marks scratched on rocks were the “numbers” used by cavemen in an early form of what?
A. Poetry
B. Classical Music
C. Arithmetic
D. Sports betting

$200 Which of these classic jazz titles is a reference to riding the subway?
A. Kind of Blue
B. Take the A Train
C. A Night in Tunisia
D. A Love Supreme

$300 Which of these products should be stored in saline solution when not being used?
A. Soft contact lenses
B. Dental floss
C. Q-tips
D. Band-Aids

$500 By definition, a criminal who is “on the lam” is doing what?
A. Planning a crime
B. Turning himself in
C. Fleeing the police
D. Serving time in jail

$1K If she received one present form each of her kids, which of these moms would receive the most loot on Mother’s Day?
A. Mom of twins and quintuplets
B. Mom of quadruplets and triplets
C. Mom of two sets or triplets
D. Mom of four sets of twins

$2K In Shakespeare’s “Richard III,” the title character famously shouts, “my kingdom for a” what?
A. Horse
B. Penny
C. Sword
D. Stone

$4K The word “dormitory” is derived from a Latin word meaning what?
A. Exercise
B. Read
C. Eat
D. Sleep

$8K A 2007 DIRECTV commercial featured what actor reprising his role as the eccentric inventor Dr. Emmett Brown?
A. Danny DeVito
B. Christopher Lloyd
C. Ned Beatty
D. Judge Reinhold

Helen’s mom and daughter Nancy are in the audience. Nancy was on the show earlier this year. She won $16K.

$16K Located on the Patapsco River, the Inner Harbor is a popular tourist destination in what major U.S. city?
A. Baltimore
B. Philadelphia
C. Savannah
D. Boston

ATA
71% A. Baltimore
3% B. Philadelphia
20% C. Savannah
6% D. Boston

commercial break

$25K “French vanilla” ice cream, as opposed to regular “vanilla” is required by law to contain at least 1.4% what?
A. Butter
B. Heavy cream
C. Egg yolk
D. Organic milk

PAF – Renee, a respiratory therapist

Renee, with 2 seconds remaining, says she thinks it’s butter.

Helen says she was thinking butter, but that maybe egg yolk is what gives the ice cream its yellowish color.

50/50 leaves B. Heavy cream and C. Egg yolk.

$50K Used to determine the age of fossils, carbon-14 is primarily produced in nature when neutrons bombard atoms of what?
A. Oxygen
B. Nitrogen
C. Hydrogen
D. Helium

STQ

$50K Though it sounds like a type of pigeon, a wigeon is actually a type of what bird?
A. Hawk
B. Owl
C. Duck
D. Turkey

Helen makes B. Owl her final answer.
Helen leaves with $25K.

commercial break

Answers:
$100 C. Arithmetic
$200 B. Take the A Train
$300 A. Soft contact lenses
$500 C. Fleeing the police
$1K D. Mom of four sets of twins
$2K A. Horse
$4K D. Sleep
$8K B. Christopher Lloyd
$16K A. Baltimore
$25K C. Egg yolk
$50K B. Nitrogen
$50K C. Duck

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 02/25/08 Helen Pinkston

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:44 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Helen’s mom and daughter Nancy are in the audience. Nancy was on the show earlier this year. She won $16K.
We have the carryover portion of Nancy's run preserved here on the Raspberry Bored:

viewtopic.php?t=43

Snaxx

#3 Post by Snaxx » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:31 pm

A nurse and the mom of a previous contestant. Sounds familiar!

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 am

$16K: I can eliminate Philly (Delaware R. and Schuylkill R.) and Boston (Charles R.) right off the bat. Better ask the audience just to confirm B-More.

$50K: Since helium doesn't occur in nature in abundance, that can be eliminated. PAF.

$50K #2: Although I never would've seen this question, I would've gotten this right.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:08 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Helen Pinkston
Kansas City, MO
Registered Nurse

Helen is wearing her lucky kinky boots. They appear to be pink, high-heeled, upper calf-high boots. Younger men tend to talk to her when she wears the boots.
The boots were nice. That she has saved lives is even nicer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Helen’s mom and daughter Nancy are in the audience. Nancy was on the show earlier this year. She won $16K.
Not fair - families getting two chances when some of our BBs don't get even one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K “French vanilla” ice cream, as opposed to regular “vanilla” is required by law to contain at least 1.4% what?
A. Butter
B. Heavy cream
C. Egg yolk
D. Organic milk

PAF – Renee, a respiratory therapist

Renee, with 2 seconds remaining, says she thinks it’s butter.

Helen says she was thinking butter, but that maybe egg yolk is what gives the ice cream its yellowish color.

50/50 leaves B. Heavy cream and C. Egg yolk.
I figured it was egg yolk because French vanilla has more of a yellow hue than regular vanilla, plus to my knowledge no ice cream contains butter.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Used to determine the age of fossils, carbon-14 is primarily produced in nature when neutrons bombard atoms of what?
A. Oxygen
B. Nitrogen
C. Hydrogen
D. Helium
It has to be either oxygen or nitrogen - C14 has six protons and 8 neutrons, nitrogen has 7 and 7, and oxygen has 8 and 8 (most common isotopes). Adding a neutron means going from 7 to 8, making nitrogen the choice.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ

$50K Though it sounds like a type of pigeon, a wigeon is actually a type of what bird?
A. Hawk
B. Owl
C. Duck
D. Turkey

Helen makes B. Owl her final answer.
Helen leaves with $25K.
And I would have done the same. I kept thinking about Ron Weasley's owl, Pigwigeon, and figured it was an owl also. I found it amusing that Helen thought that it should be a bird with a "w" in its name so she focused on either "hawk" or "owl".

***ADDENDUM***
Helen said that she watched the show religiously and said she hated it when someone got to the $16K or $25K question, guessed wrong, and went home. She didn't want that to happen to her (she also wanted to outdo her daughter) but she took the risk anyway, adding later that she isn't normally a risk-taker.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."