Transcript 2/27/08 David Yee (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 2/27/08 David Yee (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:04 am

David Yee
Boston MA
editor with Boston Globe
all lifelines available

2K - Found in malls across the country, Orange Julius specializes in selling what?

A hard candy
B blended drinks
C soft pretzels
D breakfast pastries

4K - Including wisdom teeth, an adult human normally has how many teeth?

A 22
B 24
C 28
D 32

ATA
A 4
B 3
C 20
D 73

8K - The 2007 Christopher Walken comedy "Balls of Fury" centers on what kind of high-stakes tournament?

A miniature golf
B pinball
C Ping-Pong
D bowling

16K - Popular in Russia, samovars are used primarily to do what?

A chill caviar
B boil water
C make bread
D distill alcohol

25K - The seventh U.S. President lends his name to the largest cities in both Mississippi and what other state?

A Florida
B South Carolina
C Alabama
D Kentucky

50/50 leaves A and D.

David is worried that Miami is larger than Jacksonville, and calls his PAF. He asks him what is the largest city in Kentucky. The PAF chooses Florida as time runs out.

50K - Originally published in the 1930s, "Why War?" is a collection of letters between Albert Einstein and whom?

A Sigmund Freud
B Mahatma Gandhi
C Henry Ford
D Winston Churchill

STQ 50K - In 2007, which of these movies enjoyed the vicennial anniversary of its original release?

A Poltergeist
B Fatal Attraction
C The Godfather
D Saturday Night Fever

David has no idea and guesses wrong.

2K B blended drinks
4K D 32
8K C Ping-Pong
16K B boil water
25K A Florida
50K A Sigmund Freud
50K STQ - B Fatal Attraction

Note: as of the 2006 census, incorporated Jackson had nearly double the population of incorporated Miami.

silverscreenselect

Re: Transcript 2/27/08 David Yee (carryover)

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:09 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:David Yee
Boston MA
editor with Boston Globe
all lifelines available

25K - The seventh U.S. President lends his name to the largest cities in both Mississippi and what other state?

A Florida
B South Carolina
C Alabama
D Kentucky

25K A Florida

Note: as of the 2006 census, incorporated Jackson had nearly double the population of incorporated Miami.
Jacksonville merged with Duval County a number of years ago, so the city now comprises the entire county. Dade County has a number of cities including Miami, whose city limits are somewhat restricted with Coral Gables to the south and Hialeah and Miami Shores to the north.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:56 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:4K - Including wisdom teeth, an adult human normally has how many teeth?

A 22
B 24
C 28
D 32
I'm glad they qualified this question with the words "including wisdom teeth" so that we don't have controversy.

$8K: No clue. ATA.

$50K: This one is probably easy to Google, so I'll PAF.

$50K #2: I did know that vicennial means twenty years, so I had this one right.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:48 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:David Yee
Boston MA
editor with Boston Globe
all lifelines available
David was hoping to remember 15 (actually 10) facts out of all the hundreds that he reads every day as part of his job.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:25K - The seventh U.S. President lends his name to the largest cities in both Mississippi and what other state?

A Florida
B South Carolina
C Alabama
D Kentucky

50/50 leaves A and D.

David is worried that Miami is larger than Jacksonville, and calls his PAF. He asks him what is the largest city in Kentucky. The PAF chooses Florida as time runs out.
I know that Jacksonville is the largest city in area in Florida (when I was growing up in Oklahoma City there was a rivalry between the two cities for the distinction of being the largest city in area in the US). I'd have gone with that answer. Presumably it's more populous than Miami as well.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:50K - Originally published in the 1930s, "Why War?" is a collection of letters between Albert Einstein and whom?

A Sigmund Freud
B Mahatma Gandhi
C Henry Ford
D Winston Churchill
I might have used the 50/50 just to make sure on this one, hoping that A and D weren't the remaining two answers.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ 50K - In 2007, which of these movies enjoyed the vicennial anniversary of its original release?

A Poltergeist
B Fatal Attraction
C The Godfather
D Saturday Night Fever

David has no idea and guesses wrong.
I know that "vicennial" means 20th, but have no idea which one of these was released in 1987. Fortunately I wouldn't have seen this question; had it been in the stack, however, it would be time to use my ATA and hope the audience knows.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Note: as of the 2006 census, incorporated Jackson had nearly double the population of incorporated Miami.
Thanks for that note.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:36 am

I've never heard of "vicennial".

And I really would like to have seen David's audition. I certainly didn't see any of the fun and excitement the APs look for in him.

:|

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:42 am

earendel wrote:I know that Jacksonville is the largest city in area in Florida (when I was growing up in Oklahoma City there was a rivalry between the two cities for the distinction of being the largest city in area in the US). I'd have gone with that answer. Presumably it's more populous than Miami as well.
I thought Anchorage had that honor. Wikipedia actually lists Sitka and Juneau ahead of Anchorage, but they're all--like Jacksonville--consolidated city-counties. Removing those from the list gives Oklahoma City the lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... es_by_area

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:43 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I've never heard of "vicennial".

And I really would like to have seen David's audition. I certainly didn't see any of the fun and excitement the APs look for in him.

:|
I agree - he certainly didn't seem to have the "pep" that other contestants have shown. Maybe it was the way he contorted himself as he agonized over the answers.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:44 am

The Boston Globe gives their editor one paragraph, today.

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/arti ... th/?page=2

Would it be a nepotism issue to give their own employee a longer story?