Transcript 2/27/08 Jen Pierson

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 2/27/08 Jen Pierson

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:05 am

Jen Pierson
Pittsburgh PA

100 - In a familiar fable, a greedy farmer cuts open his prize goose in the hope of finding what?

A glass pebbles
B golden eggs
C jeweled swords
D KFC gift certificates

200 - A doctor who is skilled at interacting with patients is said to have a good what?

A lampshade manner
B nightstand manner
C bedside manner
D pillowcase manner

300 - By definition, which of these Biblical groupings is a trio?

A The Three Wise Men
B The Twelve Apostles
C The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
D The Ten Commandments

500 - Which of these cable reality series is usually set nearest to the Arctic Circle?

A Trading Spaces
B Ice Road Truckers
C Top Chef
D What Not to Wear

1K - In the U.S., which of these coins is closest to one inch in diameter?

A quarter
B dime
C nickel
D penny

2K - For decades, what product's top-secret formula has been locked in a bank vault in Atlanta Georgia?

A Clorox bleach
B Wonder Bread
C Coca-Cola
D Morton salt

4K - "Publish or perish" is a rule usually said to apply to the careers of what professionals?

A accountants
B classical musicians
C architects
D professors

8K - A person falls under the Scorpio sign of the Zodiac if he is born on which of these holidays?

A New Year's Day
B Fourth of July
C Valentine's Day
D Halloween

Jen says it might be good if only Scorpios in the audience vote.

ATA
A 3
B 5
C 6
D 86

16K - What band's 2007 album "In Rainbows" can fans download for whatever price they choose to pay - even if they pay nothing?

A Blur
B Radiohead
C Coldplay
D Oasis

Jen feels like she knows it but none of the answers jump out. She calls Ted, a former roommate who is a musician. He nails it with 15 seconds left.

Jen will return on the next show.

100 B golden eggs
200 C bedside manner
300 A The Three Wise Men
500 B Ice Road Truckers
1K A quarter
2K C Coca-Cola
4K D professors
8K D Halloween
16K B Radiohead

Ritterskoop

Re: Transcript 2/27/08 Jen Pierson

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:29 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:

A The Three Wise Men
B The Twelve Apostles
D The Ten Commandments
I don't deny that three is a trio, and I agree that none of the other choices fits.

However.

Nowhere in the King James version of the Bible is there a mention of specifically three wise men. I cannot speak to other versions, which I have not read.

They brought three named gifts, but there could have been four wise people, and one said, "This here frankincense is from me and him." There could have been fifty. Some of them might have been female. Three is convenient in the nativity scenes, is all.

Here is the relevant passage, from Matthew (Luke tells part of the birth story but doesn't mention the wise men; Mark and John pretty much begin with Jesus' consecration into service):

Matt. 2:7-11 "Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.

And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.

And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh."

And maybe a mobile and some rattlers, but Matthew's editor was on him about the word count.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:59 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:300 - By definition, which of these Biblical groupings is a trio?

A The Three Wise Men
B The Twelve Apostles
D The Ten Commandments
I somewhat protest this question cuz there were way more than three wise men.

$4K: Never heard of this phrase. ATA.

$16K: There goes the PAF.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:52 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jen Pierson
Pittsburgh PA
Jen wants to work in the arena of international politics.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:300 - By definition, which of these Biblical groupings is a trio?

A The Three Wise Men
B The Twelve Apostles
D The Ten Commandments
To be pedantic, there is no such "Biblical grouping" as "The Three Wise Men". Matthew 2, which relates the story of the visit of the magi, does not indicate how many magi came - tradition places the number at three because there were three gifts presented to the infant, but that is by no means definite.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:16K - What band's 2007 album "In Rainbows" can fans download for whatever price they choose to pay - even if they pay nothing?

A Blur
B Radiohead
C Coldplay
D Oasis

Jen feels like she knows it but none of the answers jump out. She calls Ted, a former roommate who is a musician. He nails it with 15 seconds left.
I remember reading about this.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:53 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:

A The Three Wise Men
B The Twelve Apostles
D The Ten Commandments
I don't deny that three is a trio, and I agree that none of the other choices fits.

However.

Nowhere in the King James version of the Bible is there a mention of specifically three wise men. I cannot speak to other versions, which I have not read.

They brought three named gifts, but there could have been four wise people, and one said, "This here frankincense is from me and him." There could have been fifty. Some of them might have been female. Three is convenient in the nativity scenes, is all.

Here is the relevant passage, from Matthew (Luke tells part of the birth story but doesn't mention the wise men; Mark and John pretty much begin with Jesus' consecration into service):

Matt. 2:7-11 "Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.

And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.

And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh."

And maybe a mobile and some rattlers, but Matthew's editor was on him about the word count.
Thanks, 'skoop. You beat me to it. No version of the gospel of Matthew indicates a specific number of magi.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#6 Post by AnnieCamaro » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:06 am

Ritterskoop wrote:

Rattlers? They would bring poisonous snakes as a baby gift? Those guys don't sound very wise to me. They should have found some nice stuffed cuddle puppies at Target.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:51 am

Ritterskoop wrote:Nowhere in the King James version of the Bible is there a mention of specifically three wise men. I cannot speak to other versions, which I have not read.

Many details of the Magi legend don't appear in the Bible: they were kings; their names were Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar; they arrived twelve days after the Nativity; Balthazar was black.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:11 am

jarnon wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:Nowhere in the King James version of the Bible is there a mention of specifically three wise men. I cannot speak to other versions, which I have not read.

Many details of the Magi legend don't appear in the Bible: they were kings; their names were Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar; they arrived twelve days after the Nativity; Balthazar was black.
True, but those are only speculations, not the "gospel truth" as it were.

7yrscollegedownthedrain

#9 Post by 7yrscollegedownthedrain » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:37 pm

well, isn't the entire book a "speculation"?
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:05 am

7yrscollegedownthedrain wrote:well, isn't the entire book a "speculation"?
I'm sure some would say so, but I believe it is not.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#11 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 am

8K - A person falls under the Scorpio sign of the Zodiac if he is born on which of these holidays?

A New Year's Day
B Fourth of July
C Valentine's Day
D Halloween
Here TPTB are teasing Buff, Annie C and me.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#12 Post by AnnieCamaro » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:18 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:

A New Year's Day
B Fourth of July
C Valentine's Day
D Halloween
Here TPTB are teasing Buff, Annie C and me.
I think we should consider it as a shout-out and be happy that they remember our birthday. Maybe next year they'll send a card.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.