I may have found my hobby

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

I may have found my hobby

#1 Post by gsabc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:53 pm

At least until the collection runs out. I'm having some fun selling the comics and stuff on eBay. It hasn't hurt that most of it has sold, and it's found money. It might be different if I were trying to turn a profit like a real business. It also doesn't hurt that I listed a piece of original comic book art last night, not even the best one I own from that artist, and the bid is already over $200.

Timing is everything. Another piece of the artist's sold for nearly $900 last week. I timed my listing to start less than five minutes after the close of that auction. Hey, if it keeps me off the streets and pays for some more hors d'oeuvres platters ...
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#2 Post by Estonut » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:05 pm

If you have the luxury to start (and thereby, end) your auction whenever you want to, I have always heard that Sunday evenings around 8:00-ish is the most desirable time. Something about being fresh in the mind of weekend shoppers and allowing time for those away for the weekend to return home, etc.

I've always had good luck with Sunday endings and was wondering if others had similar or different experiences.

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Estonut wrote:If you have the luxury to start (and thereby, end) your auction whenever you want to, I have always heard that Sunday evenings around 8:00-ish is the most desirable time. Something about being fresh in the mind of weekend shoppers and allowing time for those away for the weekend to return home, etc.

I've always had good luck with Sunday endings and was wondering if others had similar or different experiences.
I had heard that, too. This past weekend was the first where I also tried Saturday evening. Those are doing okay, too, but it helps that what I put up are early issues of Aquaman from back in 1962. His recent appearance in Smallville and the popularity of the Justice League cartoons haven't hurt values any.

I also started using a free site called Auctiva, which offers fancy templates for backgrounds and free photo hosting for supersizing your picture (would cost something like $0.75 directly from eBay). I'm not sure if it stops being free after a certain point, but for now, it seems to be working.

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Another benefit of Auctiva is you can save your listing and schedule it to post on eBay at a future date and time. I'm trying that now, setting up listings to be placed next Saturday and Sunday. You can dump them in at once, or schedule them to be placed a certain number of minutes apart. I would guess that spacing items that may be of interest to the same people would allow them to do last-minute bidding on all of them in sequence.

The templates are very professional-looking. You also get a built-in gallery of the soonest-to-close 14 items you currently have listed, even without a template. Free supersized pictures, up to three pictures for free (instead of eBay's one), and the scheduling of listings would cost you from eBay, too. Everything is "entirely free", according to their website. Dunno where they get their money from, but hey, I'm cool with it.