Transcript 11/23/2012 - L.A. Williams

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/23/2012 - L.A. Williams

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:02 pm

L.A. Williams
works at the Apollo Theater
New York City, NY

L.A. owes his appearance on Millionaire to his job. The show had auditions at the Apollo Theater and he figured it was convenient to try out. He meets a lot of interesting people at the Apollo; one time Brian Williams came by and walked through the lobby. L.A. was wearing his ID tag so he went up to Brian Williams and said, "Dad?" Brian replied, "Hey, anything's possible." L.A. also met Bill Gates once (not at the theater) - in the bathroom at a Microsoft event. He tried to be cool but as Gates was leaving, L.A. said, "You know I'm going to tell everyone about this. Do you mind if I embellish it and say that we became best friends?" Gates replied, "Oh, sure, go ahead."

Topic Tree: (unrandomized)
10 - Devilish Deities
9 - Overdue Makeovers
8 - Publicity Stunts
7 - To Your State
6 - O'Reilly Reads
5 - Blood Work
4 - Don't Bug Me
3 - Rap Names
2 - Card Carrying
1 - In the Flesh

Topic Tree: (randomized)
8 - Publicity Stunts
6 - O'Reilly Reads
4 - Don't Bug Me
10 - Devilish Deities
1 - In the Flesh
9 - Overdue Makeovers
5 - Blood Work
3 - Rap Names
7 - To Your State
2 - Card Carrying

Question #1 (Card Carrying - Level 2)
Blow-ins are the loose cards that often frustratingly fall to the ground when a person opens what reading material?
A - atlas
B - encyclopedia
C - magazine
D - phonebook

L.A. says he's not going to waste a lot of time.
Spoiler
Answer: C (magazine)
Value: $5,000
Bank: $5,000
Question #2 (To Your State - Level 7)
"Here's to the land of the long leaf pine" begins the Tar Heel Toast, the official toast of what state?
A - Maine
B - North Carolina
C - Minnesota
D - Oregon

L.A. makes reference to an old-time rap song before giving his answer.
Spoiler
Answer: B (North Carolina)
Value: $7,000
Bank: $12,000
Question #3 (Rap Names - Level 3)
The stage name of rapper Chali 2na is an allusion to the mascot of what food brand?
A - Chiquita
B - StarKist
C - Green Giant
D - Pillsbury
Spoiler
Answer: B (StarKist)
Value: $500
Bank: $12,500
Question #4 (Blood Work - Level 5)
In the early 1900s, immunologist Karl Landsteiner categorized blood types into three groups, A, B and C, with C later being changed to what?
A - M
B - N
C - O
D - P
Spoiler
Answer: C (O)
Value: $2,000
Bank: $14,500
Question #5 (Overdue Makeovers - Level 9)
Set to hit the market in 2013, the iconic car from which of these films is being remade as an electric vehicle?
A - The Love Bug
B - Goldfinger
C - Smokey and the Bandit
D - Back to the Future

"We have a problem here," L.A. says. He knows that cars are featured in at least three of them, and one is a James Bond movie and there must be a car in that one. He can't narrow it down so he jumps the question.
Spoiler
Answer: D (Back to the Future)
Value: $3,000
Bank: $14,500 (unchanged)

Meredith notes that it will cost $95,000. L.A. asks if he could use the DeLorian to go back in time and answer the question.
Question #6 (In the Flesh - Level 1)
Makeup artists suggest applying blush to the round, fleshy part of your cheeks, otherwise known as what?
A - grapes
B - apples
C - pears
D - strawberries

L.A. ponders the question, then notes that he doesn't wear a lot of makeup.
Spoiler
Answer: B (apples)
Value: $100
Bank: $14,600
commercial break

L.A.'s good buddy Kenneth is in the relationship seat.

Question #7 (Devilish Deities - Level 10)
With his trident and beard, what Greek god of sea and earthquakes bears a striking resemblance to popular depictions of the devil?
A - Hermes
B - Zeus
C - Poseidon
D - Apollo
Spoiler
Answer: C (Poseidon)
Value: $1,000
Bank: $15,600
Question #8 (Don't Bug Me - Level 4)
Popular with tourists, Puerto Rico's bioluminescent bays contain microorganisms that do what when their waters are disturbed?
A - become invisible
B - smoke
C - spray musk
D - emit light

L.A. knows what "bioluminescent" means.
Spoiler
Answer: D (emit light)
Value: $25,000
Bank: $40,600
Question #9 (O'Reilly Reads - Level 6)
A historical account written in the style of a thriller, Bill O'Reilly's 2011 best-selling book is titled "Killing" whom?
A - Oswald
B - Lennon
C - Hoffa
D - Lincoln

"Oh, wow! OK!" L.A. says.
Spoiler
Answer: D (Lincoln)
Value: $15,000
Bank: $55,600
Question #10 (Publicity Stunts - Level 8)
Eighty years after it was taken, what iconic photo was revealed in 2012 to have been a publicity stunt for Rockefeller Center?
A - Lunch Atop a Skyscraper
B - Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima
C - The Kiss by the Hotel de Ville
D - V-J Day in Times Square

L.A. says that the one that makes the most sense is
Spoiler
A
. He said earlier that he wouldn't waste time but this is a place where he is going to take his time. He says that
Spoiler
D doesn't make any sense to him
. If he gets this wrong his wife is going to have a fit. He asks forgiveness for taking time to think it out.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Lunch Atop a Skyscraper)
Value: $10,000
Bank: $65,600
commercial break

CLASSIC MILLIONAIRE

$100K - In addition to the hammer and sickle, what symbol was set to appear on the Soviet seal before Vladimir Lenin objected, stating that "war is not our policy"?
A - rifle
B - cannon
C - sword
D - arrow

L.A. says he knows what he's going to do. He jumps the question.
Spoiler
C (sword)
commercial break

$250K - In his first TV ad appearance in 1975, the Kool-Aid Man crashes through the wall of a what?
A - school gymnasium
B - pizza parlor
C - bowling alley
D - children's hospital

L.A. says he's going to ask the audience.
ATA results
A - 65%
B - 13%
C - 20%
D - 2%
L.A. has it narrowed down to two. He's pretty sure it's either
Spoiler
school gymnasium or bowling alley
. He knows that Kool-Aid Man ran through both but can't decide which one was first. He asks Meredith to review his options. His wife Valerie would tell him to walk for sure. L.A. isn't ready to give his final answer yet. But he finally does.
Spoiler
C (bowling alley)

L.A. leaves with $25,000
THE END OF GAME "NOISE"

Millionaire question of the day: (during the commercial before the $250K question)
As a teenager, famed wedding dress designer Vera Wang competed on a national level in what sport?
A - gymnastics
B - figure skating
C - tennis
D - equestrian
Answer:
Spoiler
B (figure skating)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 11/23/2012 - L.A. Williams

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Question #5 (Overdue Makeovers - Level 9)
Set to hit the market in 2013, the iconic car from which of these films is being remade as an electric vehicle?
A - The Love Bug
B - Goldfinger
D - Back to the Future

"We have a problem here," L.A. says. He knows that cars are featured in at least three of them, and one is a James Bond movie and there must be a car in that one. He can't narrow it down so he jumps the question.
Spoiler

Meredith notes that it will cost $95,000. L.A. asks if he could use the DeLorian to go back in time and answer the question.
JTQ 1
Question #10 (Publicity Stunts - Level 8)
Eighty years after it was taken, what iconic photo was revealed in 2012 to have been a publicity stunt for Rockefeller Center?

Spoiler
A
. He said earlier that he wouldn't waste time but this is a place where he is going to take his time. He says that
Spoiler
. If he gets this wrong his wife is going to have a fit. He asks forgiveness for taking time to think it out.
Spoiler
ATA for this nice NY audience.
$100K - In addition to the hammer and sickle, what symbol was set to appear on the Soviet seal before Vladimir Lenin objected, stating that "war is not our policy"?
A - rifle
B - cannon
C - sword
D - arrow

Spoiler
C (sword)
My guess would be sword, but I would never pull the trigger. JTQ 2.
$250K - In his first TV ad appearance in 1975, the Kool-Aid Man crashes through the wall of a what?
A - school gymnasium
B - pizza parlor
C - bowling alley
D - children's hospital

ATA results
A - 65%
B - 13%
C - 20%
D - 2%
Spoiler
. He knows that Kool-Aid Man ran through both but can't decide which one was first. He asks Meredith to review his options. His wife Valerie would tell him to walk for sure. L.A. isn't ready to give his final answer yet. But he finally does.
Spoiler
C (bowling alley)L.A. leaves with $25,000
I'm leaving now.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/23/2012 - L.A. Williams

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:L.A. Williams
works at the Apollo Theater
New York City, NY

L.A. owes his appearance on Millionaire to his job. The show had auditions at the Apollo Theater and he figured it was convenient to try out. He meets a lot of interesting people at the Apollo; one time Brian Williams came by and walked through the lobby. L.A. was wearing his ID tag so he went up to Brian Williams and said, "Dad?" Brian replied, "Hey, anything's possible." L.A. also met Bill Gates once (not at the theater) - in the bathroom at a Microsoft event. He tried to be cool but as Gates was leaving, L.A. said, "You know I'm going to tell everyone about this. Do you mind if I embellish it and say that we became best friends?" Gates replied, "Oh, sure, go ahead."
OK, this guy was funny. And he tried out on his own (though really, how hard would it be to take the subway and audition at the studio?)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #5 (Overdue Makeovers - Level 9)
A - The Love Bug
B - Goldfinger
D - Back to the Future

Spoiler

Yeah, but if you get it up to 88 MPH does it function as a time machine?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #10 (Publicity Stunts - Level 8)

Spoiler
A
Spoiler
Spoiler
Let's see - 80 years ago would be 1932. Too early for B or D. I don't know about the others so I JTQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - In addition to the hammer and sickle, what symbol was set to appear on the Soviet seal before Vladimir Lenin objected, stating that "war is not our policy"?
A - rifle
B - cannon
C - sword
D - arrow

Spoiler
C (sword)
I'd JTQ also. My thought was "rifle" or "sword".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K - In his first TV ad appearance in 1975, the Kool-Aid Man crashes through the wall of a what?
A - school gymnasium
B - pizza parlor
C - bowling alley
D - children's hospital

ATA results
A - 65%
B - 13%
C - 20%
D - 2%
Spoiler
Spoiler
C (bowling alley)

L.A. leaves with $25,000
I don't know why this came so easily to me but I knew it as soon as I saw the answers, and so did elwing.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."