pushing daisies (spoilers)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ToLiveIsToFly

pushing daisies (spoilers)

#1 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Anyone else watching this? I finally caught the first few episodes, and I find myself really liking it, despite a set of things that are driving me nuts, like:
Spoiler
In the 2nd episode, when they discover all the human crash test dummies, the detective guy pushes the main guy to make him re-dead the people who are brought back to life. Both times, he touches him. What gives?
And
Spoiler
I thought the second time he touches someone they're supposed to drop dead forever. But the second time he touches Chuck, she comes back to life
And

Why does he always seem to be doing an impression of Kevin Spacey?

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: pushing daisies (spoilers)

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:22 pm

ToLiveIsToFly wrote:Anyone else watching this? I finally caught the first few episodes, and I find myself really liking it, despite a set of things that are driving me nuts, like:
Spoiler
In the 2nd episode, when they discover all the human crash test dummies, the detective guy pushes the main guy to make him re-dead the people who are brought back to life. Both times, he touches him. What gives?
And
Spoiler
I thought the second time he touches someone they're supposed to drop dead forever. But the second time he touches Chuck, she comes back to life
And

Why does he always seem to be doing an impression of Kevin Spacey?

Spoiler
I'm not quite following you, If the Pie Maker touches someone who is dead, they come back to life and if he touches them again they die forever. If the person or thing reanimated stays alive for more than a minute someone or something must die. If you are alive and have never died it doesn't matter if he touches you. He has only touched Chuck once since she died.

I don't think he can help the Kevin Spacey thing.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Appa23

#3 Post by Appa23 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:03 pm

Spoiler
Just to follow up on TMITSS's comments, the PI guy (Chi McBride) pushes The Pie Maker to re-dead people because if he lets them go passed the 60 second point, and someone else might die, it works on a "proximity" basis. If you saw the most recent episode, when he "resurrected" Chuck, the funeral home owner died (while in a toilet stall).

McBride is forever afraid that he will be the unfortunate guy who gets "the whammy" because of the unfortunate side effect of The Pie Maker's ability

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:23 pm

I really like this show. I missed the second episode, but I've liked what I've seen. Offbeat humor, dark yet whimsical (and narrated by Jim Dale, the guy who does the Harry Potter Audiobooks), and a goofy love story at the center. I don't know if mainstream America will take to it, though. I sure hope so.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

KillerTomato

#5 Post by KillerTomato » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:29 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:I really like this show. I missed the second episode, but I've liked what I've seen. Offbeat humor, dark yet whimsical (and narrated by Jim Dale, the guy who does the Harry Potter Audiobooks), and a goofy love story at the center. I don't know if mainstream America will take to it, though. I sure hope so.

It's OK...although a criminal underuse of Kristen Chenoweth, Swoosie Kurtz and Ellen Greene.

That said...."Reaper" is better. Much, much better. IMO, of course.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:22 pm

KillerTomato wrote:That said...."Reaper" is better. Much, much better. IMO, of course.
Reaper is my other new favorite show. Love it as well.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

ToLiveIsToFly

Re: pushing daisies (spoilers)

#7 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Spoiler
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote: I'm not quite following you, If the Pie Maker touches someone who is dead, they come back to life and if he touches them again they die forever. If the person or thing reanimated stays alive for more than a minute someone or something must die.
Right. I get all of this.
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:If you are alive and have never died it doesn't matter if he touches you.
This is the part I didn't get. I'm now about 99% sold on it. The thing that makes me not 100% sold is the complete aversion he has to touching Kristen Chenowith (I feel like he has an aversion to touching anyone at all, but I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm imagining it). In the first episode, when he was in her apartment and she kept trying to get him to touch her, and he wouldn't, it made me think that the first time he touched ANYBODY it was the animating touch (but redundant on live people) and the second time they were dead forever. But for now I'm willing to believe that if he touches "live" people it has no effect, and that his aversion to touching her is either borne of a general aversion to touching anyone, or that maybe she HAS died and been brought back and we just haven't found out yet.
And, boy, Matt Parkman's brother looks just like him, doesn't he?

I'm not with y'all on Reaper. I watched the first 3 episodes and gave up.

#8 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:12 pm

TLITF wrote
Spoiler
I'm willing to believe that if he touches "live" people it has no effect, and that his aversion to touching her is either borne of a general aversion to touching anyone, or that maybe she HAS died and been brought back and we just haven't found out yet.
tmitss says
Spoiler
They have said that the Pie Maker developed a distance from others as a result of his "gift". It would really be cheating us to have Chenowith dead as he has said he hasn't killed anyone to account for her. No friends have been introduced, his relationship with the Knitting Detective is business, his mother is dead and his father shipped him off to boarding school. And you do know he revived his dog and can't touch him either.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

macrae1234

#9 Post by macrae1234 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:01 pm

Molly Shannon will play a recurring character next month and Paul Ruebens will also appear on the show.

macrae1234

#10 Post by macrae1234 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:31 am

ABC has picked up Pushing Daisies for the full season

TheSearchIsOn

#11 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:03 am

The morning DJs were talking about the show getting picked up. They did a teaser before they actually "broke" the news saying that ABC had ordered a full season of a show. They acted like it was a major shocker, so I figured they were going to be talking about "Cavemen". Ordering more episodes of "Pushing Daisies" didn't seem all that surprising to me.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:06 am

TheSearchIsOn wrote:The morning DJs were talking about the show getting picked up. They did a teaser before they actually "broke" the news saying that ABC had ordered a full season of a show. They acted like it was a major shocker, so I figured they were going to be talking about "Cavemen". Ordering more episodes of "Pushing Daisies" didn't seem all that surprising to me.
Judging from the comments by the Courier-Journal media critic I thought Pushing Daisies might be on the cusp. It evidently lost significant audience share after the premiere issue.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:09 am

TheSearchIsOn wrote:They acted like it was a major shocker, so I figured they were going to be talking about "Cavemen".
Haven't they cancelled "Cavemen" yet? :P

#14 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:04 am

I needed a last minute Halloween costume, so I got an apron, a rolling pin, a boxed pie, an artificial daisy and some "The Pie Hole" labels and went as the Pie Maker. A few got it, many were confused but I enjoyed it.
Suitguy is not bitter.

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:44 am

I 2nd the "like". I hate the snotty narrator, but it isn't that awful or intrusive. I was expecting a really annoying "Desperate Housewives" type show here, but by making the lead characters charming (something that's actually hard to play successfully, as opposed to "young & cute so we can be so very obnoxious") & the plots pretty dramatically absurd fantasy, it works.

I just dunno how they can keep it up before resorting to some formula (what exactly is the formula for interrogating dead people for exactly 1 minute, anyway?) but I'm with them as long as they can.

Shade

#16 Post by Shade » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:58 am

I watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode. It looked good, I had to leave so I couldn't see the rest. I'll try to catch reruns.

Others new shows I've seen and liked are: Reaper (only seen 3 episodes, it's pretty good). Chuck (better than Reaper IMO, seen 2 episodes)