Transcript 10/08/07 Nancy Pinkston

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/08/07 Nancy Pinkston

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:04 am

Nancy Pinkston
Kansas City, MO
College Senior

Nancy wants to be a reconstructive plastic surgeon.

Nancy still has her 50/50 and PAF.

$4K What country is home to Cape Town International Airport?
A. Australia
B. Ireland
C. South Africa
D. Canada

$8K Which of these terms refers to the comical misuse of a word?
A. Palindrome
B. Anagram
C. Malapropism
D. Oxymoron

PAF - A.J.

Nancy only gives three of the choices. She leaves out palindrome.
A.J. says he is pretty sure it is malapropism.

$16K Holly Hunter plays hard-living police detective Grace Hanadarko in a new 2007 TV drama called what?
A. Saving Grace
B. State of Grace
C. Amazing Grace
D. Divine Grace

Nancy says it's not Divine Grace. She has heard of Saving Grace and State of Grace.

50/50 leaves A. Saving Grace and B. State of Grace.

$25K The Arjoostook War was a bloodless conflict of the 1830s concerning a border dispute between Canada and what U.S. state?
A. Michigan
B. New York
C. Vermont
D. Maine

Nancy decides to leave with $16K

commercial break

Answers:
$4K C. South Africa
$8K C. Malapropism
$16K A. Saving Grace
$25K D. Maine

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 10/08/07 Nancy Pinkston

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:20 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K Holly Hunter plays hard-living police detective Grace Hanadarko in a new 2007 TV drama called what?
A. Saving Grace
B. State of Grace
C. Amazing Grace
D. Divine Grace
Dang. I was torn between A & C. Amazing Grace was a TV series in the '90s, apparently, as well as a recent movie.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K The Arjoostook War was a bloodless conflict of the 1830s concerning a border dispute between Canada and what U.S. state?
A. Michigan
B. New York
C. Vermont
D. Maine

Nancy decides to leave with $16K
<grumble>®

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:43 am

Should have done this one first...
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Which of these terms refers to the comical misuse of a word?
A. Palindrome
B. Anagram
C. Malapropism
D. Oxymoron
I thought she might come up with this one - but since she "wasn't sure" she used a lifeline. I presume she didn't include "palindrome" in her reading of the answers because she knew it wasn't that one.

And although "oxymoron" isn't the right answer, many of them are used humorously (such as "military intelligence").
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K Holly Hunter plays hard-living police detective Grace Hanadarko in a new 2007 TV drama called what?
A. Saving Grace
B. State of Grace
C. Amazing Grace
D. Divine Grace
I've never seen the show but I've heard about it - I think there was a discussion on the Love Boat (or TUB) about it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K The Arjoostook War was a bloodless conflict of the 1830s concerning a border dispute between Canada and what U.S. state?
A. Michigan
B. New York
C. Vermont
D. Maine
No idea. From the comfort of my recliner I guessed the right answer but in the HS would probably have gone straight to PAF because I'm pretty sure the audience wouldn't know this one (except perhaps to rule out New York).

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:44 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:<grumble>®
Why the <grumble>®?

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:53 am

earendel wrote: Why the <grumble>®?
Because I'm tired of contestants walking away in the middle tier. Even if Nancy didn't know, she had mentally eliminated at least two answers (New York and Vermont). Flip a coin between the other two!

And ear, aren't you a Turtledove fan? You might recall in his alternate WWI/WWII series that Canada claims that disputed chunk of territory from Maine after the Second Mexican War, which the U.S. takes back after the Great War. :)

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:23 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: Why the <grumble>®?
Because I'm tired of contestants walking away in the middle tier. Even if Nancy didn't know, she had mentally eliminated at least two answers (New York and Vermont). Flip a coin between the other two!
Yeah, I can certainly sympathize.
MarleysGh0st wrote:[nd ear, aren't you a Turtledove fan? You might recall in his alternate WWI/WWII series that Canada claims that disputed chunk of territory from Maine after the Second Mexican War, which the U.S. takes back after the Great War. :)
I am, but I don't recall him referring to it by that name.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:33 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:And ear, aren't you a Turtledove fan? You might recall in his alternate WWI/WWII series that Canada claims that disputed chunk of territory from Maine after the Second Mexican War, which the U.S. takes back after the Great War. :)
I am, but I don't recall him referring to it by that name.
I don't think he did, but it was a data point to establish where there had been a border dispute with our neighbors to the north.

More about the Aroostook War on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroostook_War

I still prefer the boundary dispute over the San Juan Islands that led to "The Pig War".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_war

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:38 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I don't think he did, but it was a data point to establish where there had been a border dispute with our neighbors to the north.
That's true. And it helps if the person knows about other border skirmishes, such as the one that engendered the slogan "54'40" or Fight". And I believe there was a little problem regarding Michigan as well, but none of those would have been in the right time period.

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:50 am

Nihil obstat®

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:31 pm

As I recently already said on board of BobJ:

I didn't think someone who missed an easy earlier Dickens Q would get "Malapropism" without help, & I was right. Even though the word these days stands on its own.

As for Aroostock: Brrr. Living in New England I've heard enough references to "Bangor & Aroostock" (maybe from busses I had to take back when I used to pick up cars for a living) to know where Aroostock is, but I've never ('til the show) heard of this war there.