Transcript 03/07/2008 - Peter LaMont

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 03/07/2008 - Peter LaMont

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:01 am

Peter LaMont
Bridgewater, NJ
Travel agent

Peter and Dave have something in common - they both love to fly. Peter has logged about 20 hours and practiced his touch-and-gos. Dave says $1M will buy a nice Cessna or put a down payment on a jet.

$100 - A person who finds himself in a perfect state of happiness will often declare, "I've died and gone to" where?

A - Camelot
B - Atlantis
C - Heaven
D - Arby's

$200 - Episodes of the MTV reality series "My super Sweet 16" typically culminate with what event?

A - footrace
B - birthday party
C - jury verdict
D - theater audition

$300 - Which of these countries features no consecutive vowels or consonants in its name?

A - Bangladesh
B - Papua New Guinea
C - United Arab Emirates
D - Zimbabwe

Dave works through the answers, moving his lips as he spells them. Dave says that in aviation terms Peter's doing a good job of "winging it".

$500 - In 2006, what household brand used the Web site plopplopfizzfizz.com to promote a contest to rewrite its famous jingle?

A - Flintstones vitamins
B - Band-Aid
C - ChapStick
D - Alka-Seltzer

$1K - Published in 1798, a well-known poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge is titled "The Rime of the Ancient" what?

A - Mariner
B - Scrivener
C - Soothsayer
D - Vicar

$2K - Die-hard fan Jack Nicholson rarely misses the home games of what pro team?

A - Los Angeles Lakers
B - Los Angeles Dodgers
C - New York Knicks
D - New York Yankees

Peter says that Nicholson is always in the front row for games. Dave jokes that Peter is "holding court".

Commercial break

Dave is "leaving the light on" for Meredith.

When Peter told his daughter Allison that he was going to be on the show, she was a little confused. "You're going to meet Howie Mendel?" she asked. Dave says not only is Peter not meeting Howie, but Meredith's on vacation, too, so Peter's stuck with the weather guy.

$4K - In Italian, the tomato is known as a "pomodoro," which roughly translates into "apple of" what?

A - earth
B - fire
C - gold
D - kings

Peter has an inkling but he's not 100% sure. He's pretty sure that the people from New York will know this so he decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 19%
B - 11%
C - 56%
D - 14%

Peter was leaning toward "gold". He trusts his Italian comrades from New York and goes with their answer.

$8K - Once thought to resemble the tip of a sword, the xiphoid process is part of the what?

A - scapula
B - sternum
C - humerus
D - mandible

Peter can't believe that he knows this. Dave can't believe it, either.

Commercial break

Dave asks how Peter was able to come up with the answer. Peter says he remembers it from watching "ER".

$16K - What metal band undergoes therapy in a 2004 documentary entitled "Some Kind of Monster"?

A - Judas Priest
B - Black Sabbath
C - Korn
D - Metallica

Peter's pretty sure he knows this. Dave says that comes in handy on this show. He then asks Peter how he knows it. Peter's a fan of the band.

$25K - Which of these major Canadian cities is primarily located on an island?

A - Vancouver
B - Montreal
C - Calgary
D - Ottawa

Peter takes a deep breath. He's a travel agent and is pretty sure he knows what it is. He decides to use the 50/50 to be sure. The 50/50 leaves B and D, catching Peter by surprise - the one he thought isn't there any more. Peter asks to call his wife, Lisa. Peter says, "Canadian cities - Montreal and Ottawa. Which one is mostly on an island." Lisa has no idea and says "I'm not getting anything." Peter isn't 100% sure; he's had a great time but he decides to walk away. He would have guessed D.

THE HORN!!!!!

ANSWERS:
$100 - C (Heaven)
$200 - B (birthday party)
$300 - C (United Arab Emirates)
$500 - D (Alka-Seltzer)
$1K - A (Mariner)
$2K - A (Los Angeles Lakers)
$4K - C (gold)
$8K - B (sternum)
$16K - D (Metallica)
$25K - B (Montreal)

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#2 Post by etaoin22 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:17 am

25K - Montreal.

Montreal is entirely on the Island of Montreal, to be a little picky.

Adminstrative, popular usage, and the official boundaries are all in concordance on this.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 03/07/2008 - Peter LaMont

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:18 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Peter LaMont
Bridgewater, NJ
Travel agent
And thus finishes up a nearly full week of WEs, broken up only by Monday's first contestant, Amy Kurz from Ohio. What do you want to bet that she was a holdover from the group that taped the previous day?

luv2jog

#4 Post by luv2jog » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:13 am

Based on what happened the last 2 seasons, we can now expect 3 weeks of repeats.

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:43 pm

On first pass I failed to pay attention and would have answered earth on the 4K, thinking of the potato rather than the tomato, and gotten the early hook.

Whether I would have done the same in the chair I don't know but it is quite possible.

Had I survived, while the 8K and 25K were no problem, I would have been stumped at 16K.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:41 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:On first pass I failed to pay attention and would have answered earth on the 4K, thinking of the potato rather than the tomato, and gotten the early hook.
I had the same first reaction. Another lesson in answering slowly and thoughtfully and pausing for a second look before saying final answer!

It's funny that both the potato and tomato are considered "apples of something or other". :)

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:01 am

Bridgewater, NJ
Travel agent
Pretty sure he's a WE®.

$8K: Never heard of the xiphoid process. PAF.

$16K: Here goes the ATA...

$25K: ... and there goes $15,000. I thought for sure it was Vancouver because of Vancouver Island. I now realize that Victoria is on Vancouver Island. Crap.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:24 am

Bridgewater, NJ
Travel agent

Peter and Dave have something in common - they both love to fly. Peter has logged about 20 hours and practiced his touch-and-gos. Dave says $1M will buy a nice Cessna or put a down payment on a jet.
Somehow only having logged 20 hours doesn't seem to indicate a love of flying - although there could be good reasons why Peter hasn't done more.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 - Which of these countries features no consecutive vowels or consonants in its name?

A - Bangladesh
B - Papua New Guinea
C - United Arab Emirates
D - Zimbabwe

Dave works through the answers, moving his lips as he spells them. Dave says that in aviation terms Peter's doing a good job of "winging it".
Am I the only person who had a hard time figuring out exactly what it was the question-writer was asking?

$
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:When Peter told his daughter Allison that he was going to be on the show, she was a little confused. "You're going to meet Howie Mendel?" she asked. Dave says not only is Peter not meeting Howie, but Meredith's on vacation, too, so Peter's stuck with the weather guy.
A little self-deprecating humor. All in all I think Dave made a pretty good host.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Once thought to resemble the tip of a sword, the xiphoid process is part of the what?

A - scapula
B - sternum
C - humerus
D - mandible

Peter can't believe that he knows this. Dave can't believe it, either.
At this point I thought Peter might actually carry over until Monday.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Which of these major Canadian cities is primarily located on an island?

A - Vancouver
B - Montreal
C - Calgary
D - Ottawa

Peter takes a deep breath. He's a travel agent and is pretty sure he knows what it is. He decides to use the 50/50 to be sure. The 50/50 leaves B and D, catching Peter by surprise - the one he thought isn't there any more. Peter asks to call his wife, Lisa. Peter says, "Canadian cities - Montreal and Ottawa. Which one is mostly on an island." Lisa has no idea and says "I'm not getting anything." Peter isn't 100% sure; he's had a great time but he decides to walk away. He would have guessed D.
The "obvious" answer was A, but actually it's Victoria that's the city on Vancouver Island. I seem to recall something about Montreal being on an island from my readings about the Revolutionary War.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:10 am

earendel wrote:
Bridgewater, NJ
Travel agent

Somehow only having logged 20 hours doesn't seem to indicate a love of flying - although there could be good reasons why Peter hasn't done more.
So it's a newfound love.

Dave's comment about making a down payment on a jet annoyed me, like the typical exaggeration in state lottery ads. What good would that do, Dave, if the rules don't allow Peter to make repeat appearances on WWTBAM to pay the installments? :roll:

7yrscollegedownthedrain

#10 Post by 7yrscollegedownthedrain » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:49 am

well, unless he can find a BD-5 kit somewhere... and in reply to your earlier Q, I was a member of Patco in '81; haven't told a pilot where to go since
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...