Oscar Pistorius Charged with Murder

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Oscar Pistorius Charged with Murder

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 am

This story is sad on many levels.

South African Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius, who won worldwide fame for competing as a double amputee, has been arrested and charged with the murder of his live-in girlfriend, an internationally famous model. She had been shot four times; a pistol owned by Pistorius (an accomplished target shooter) is the apparent murder weapon. There had been previous reports of domestic disputes between the two of them.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/ ... -steenkamp

Another hero turns out to have feet of clay.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

bazodee

Re: Oscar Pistorius Charged with Murder

#2 Post by bazodee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Another hero turns out to have feet of clay.
..or titanium, in this case.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm

From Twitter:

Artie Johann ‏@DearAnyone
Oscar Pistorius will do great in jail because inmates are always fair to people who are just torso and butt.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Vandal
Director of Promos

#4 Post by Vandal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:48 am

An unfortunate advertising campaign for Nike:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:10 am

Here's how the NY tabloids handle a murder story (from Twitter):

Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Vandal wrote:Here's how the NY tabloids handle a murder story (from Twitter):

Where else can you see the words "legless" and "red sock" on the same front page.....?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Buffacuse

#7 Post by Buffacuse » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:58 am

silverscreenselect wrote:This story is sad on many levels.

South African Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius, who won worldwide fame for competing as a double amputee, has been arrested and charged with the murder of his live-in girlfriend, an internationally famous model. She had been shot four times; a pistol owned by Pistorius (an accomplished target shooter) is the apparent murder weapon. There had been previous reports of domestic disputes between the two of them.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/ ... -steenkamp

Another hero turns out to have feet of clay.
I'm far from naive and usually inclined to believe bad stuff in cases like this...but if she was really on the other side of his bedroom door and he didn't think she'd be home, it would be very easy to fire off four rounds from a semi-automatic pistol through a door in about a second and a half before getting a clear look at who's there. Maybe he had a few drinks, his judgment was impaired, his adrenaline was going because he thought this was a home invasion...and this poor woman thought she'd surprise him.

Mrs. Buff reminded me about a time when I surprised her when we were dating--she was in bed and I slipped into her apartment (ok, had a key...) but she was not expecting me that night. She told me--"I was terrified for a minute...and could easily have shot you."

I'm just saying--don't nail this one down yet...
Last edited by Buffacuse on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ne1410s

#8 Post by ne1410s » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 am

Wayne LaPierre is blaming the victim.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 am

Buffacuse wrote:
I'm far from naive and usually inclined to believe bad stuff in cases like this...but if she was really on the other side of his bedroom door and he didn't think she'd be home, it would be very easy to fire off four rounds from a semi-automatic pistol through a door in about a second and a half before getting a clear look at who's there. Maybe he had a few drinks, his judgment was impaired, his adrenaline was going because he thought this was a home invasion...and this poor woman thought she'd surprise him.

Mrs. Buff reminded me about a time when I surprised her when we were dating--she was in bed and I slipped into her apartment (ok, had a key...) but she was not expecting me that night. She told me--"I was terrified for a minute...and could easily have shot you."
1) There was evidence of previous disputes between the two of them, neighbors heard arguing the night of the shooting, there was physical evidence of a struggle inside the home, and the woman was shot four times while she was hiding in a bathroom. It's not surprising that Pistorius reacted with shock and tried to revive her once he realized what he'd done. It's fairly common for spouse abusers to "lose it" and then experience remorse once they come to their senses..

2) Your story (and the version of Pistorius' story that his family and attorneys are likely to try to sell) is yet another good reason for people not to have guns in the house.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#10 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:51 am

Cricket bats can be a gateway weapon

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more- ... bled=false
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Buffacuse

#11 Post by Buffacuse » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:11 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Buffacuse wrote:

1) There was evidence of previous disputes between the two of them, neighbors heard arguing the night of the shooting, there was physical evidence of a struggle inside the home, and the woman was shot four times while she was hiding in a bathroom. It's not surprising that Pistorius reacted with shock and tried to revive her once he realized what he'd done. It's fairly common for spouse abusers to "lose it" and then experience remorse once they come to their senses..

2) Your story (and the version of Pistorius' story that his family and attorneys are likely to try to sell) is yet another good reason for people not to have guns in the house.
I was wrong. I just read a much more complete description (UK's Telegraph) of what happened and the situation is relatively unambiguous. I still don't know how South Africa defines "premeditated" since it reads like he totally flipped out (vice planned it) but in any event he is not getting out for a few decades--if at all.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:14 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:A Lying Liars Affidavit

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/19/pi ... irlfriend/
I'm not an expert on South African law, but I think it's a pretty safe guess that the penalty for perjury is a lot less than the penalty for murder.

SpacemanSpiff

#14 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:01 am

Buffacuse wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
Buffacuse wrote:

I was wrong. I just read a much more complete description (UK's Telegraph) of what happened and the situation is relatively unambiguous. I still don't know how South Africa defines "premeditated" since it reads like he totally flipped out (vice planned it) but in any event he is not getting out for a few decades--if at all.
Somehow (if what I heard on NPR this morning is correct), the fact that he had time to put his legs on prior to shooting kind of makes it sound premeditated.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Vandal
Director of Promos

#15 Post by Vandal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:07 am

Pistorius indicted, trial set for March 2014.
PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — Oscar Pistorius was indicted Monday on charges of murder and illegal possession of ammunition for the shooting death of the double-amputee Olympian's girlfriend on Valentine's Day.

A Pretoria court set March 3 as the trial date for Pistorius, who has said he shot Reeva Steenkamp by mistake, believing she was an intruder in his home. Prosecutors, who allege he killed her after an argument, submitted a list of more than 100 witnesses for a trial that will be followed around the world.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#16 Post by Sistine Fanny » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:28 am

Vandal wrote:Pistorius indicted, trial set for March 2014.
PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — Oscar Pistorius was indicted Monday on charges of murder and illegal possession of ammunition for the shooting death of the double-amputee Olympian's girlfriend on Valentine's Day.

A Pretoria court set March 3 as the trial date for Pistorius, who has said he shot Reeva Steenkamp by mistake, believing she was an intruder in his home. Prosecutors, who allege he killed her after an argument, submitted a list of more than 100 witnesses for a trial that will be followed around the world.
Well, it worked for Anne Woodward.......sort of.
It's the Final Countdown.....

Vandal
Director of Promos

#17 Post by Vandal » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:01 am

Pistorius not guilty of murder in girlfriend's death

South African athlete Oscar Pistorius was found not guilty Thursday of premeditated murder in the shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, but the judge has not ruled out a possible manslaughter conviction.

Judge Thokozile Masipa, reading a lengthy explanation of the evidence and charges, said state prosecutors failed to provde that Pistorius is guilty of either premeditated murder or second-degree murder, thus ruling out those charges.
Full story here.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:58 am

I want HIS lawyer!
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:16 am

The judge will continue tomorrow (she must work union hours) but indicated that he'll be found guilty of culpable homicide.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#20 Post by Vandal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 am

Oscar Pistorius guilty of 'culpable homicide'
JOHANNESBURG — A South African judge on Friday convicted athlete Oscar Pistorius of "culpable homicide" in the death of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.

A conviction of culpable homicide, the term for manslaughter in South Africa, carries a maximum 15-year prison sentence. Pistorius had already been cleared of murdering Steenkamp.
Full story.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Lt Columbo
Merry Man

#21 Post by Lt Columbo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:44 am

Vandal wrote:Oscar Pistorius guilty of 'culpable homicide'
JOHANNESBURG — A South African judge on Friday convicted athlete Oscar Pistorius of "culpable homicide" in the death of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.

A conviction of culpable homicide, the term for manslaughter in South Africa, carries a maximum 15-year prison sentence. Pistorius had already been cleared of murdering Steenkamp.
Full story.

I managed to solve three cases of Culpable homicide during my lengthy career....
Just one more thing....

christie1111
11:11

#22 Post by christie1111 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:49 am

Lt Columbo wrote:
Vandal wrote:Oscar Pistorius guilty of 'culpable homicide'

Full story.

I managed to solve three cases of Culpable homicide during my lengthy career....
That was funny!

:lol:
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

silverscreenselect

#23 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 am

Pistorius receives the maximum sentence of five years for his conviction (he also received a suspended three-year sentence on a related weapons charge).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... /17649779/

BackInTex

#24 Post by BackInTex » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Pistorius receives the maximum sentence of five years for his conviction (he also received a suspended three-year sentence on a related weapons charge).

That seems kind of light for a maximum sentence for murder.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Estonut
Evil Genius

#25 Post by Estonut » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Pistorius receives the maximum sentence of five years for his conviction (he also received a suspended three-year sentence on a related weapons charge).

Where do you get that he received the maximum sentence? The article you provided disagrees (twice):
South African Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius was sentenced to prison for five years Tuesday for the 2013 killing of his girlfriend, less than half the time he could have received following his manslaughter conviction last month.
Pistorius could have received up to 15 years in prison for shooting model Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day 2013 in his home.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx