Game #142: Double Feature

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 am

Identify the 50 actors indicated in List A and the 50 movies in List B. (In each list, every other clue is a quotation.) Then, pair each actor with a movie according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Nine actors and ten movies, will be used twice, making 60 pairs in all. (Some of the actors could have been used more than twice, but I needed to put a limit on it.)

“Wait a second,” I can almost hear you saying. “The math doesn’t add up!” That’s because the actor who completes the sixtieth pair is not on the list. It’s up to you to identify him . . . or her.

LIST A: ACTORS

A-1. He had already won two honorary Oscars and been nominated twice for acting and twice for writing when he finally won a competitive Oscar … for Best Original Score … for a move he had made 20 years earlier.

A-2. “I walked by Union Square Bar. I was going to go in. Then I saw myself - my reflection in the window - and I thought, ‘I wonder who that bum is?’ And then I saw it was me. Now look at me. I'm a bum. Look at me! Look at you. You're a bum. Look at you. And look at us. Look at us. C'mon look at us! See? A couple of bums.”

A-3. Her film career has encompassed film adaptations of novels by Thomas Hardy, Ray Bradbury, Daphne DuMaurier, Boris Pasternak, and Rebecca West.

A-4. “Love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and die. The storybooks are bulls**t. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and get in my bed!”

A-5. He received his sixth, seventh, and eighth Razzie nominations for the same movie, in the categories of Worst Actor, Worst Supporting Actor, and (thanks to cloning) Worst Couple.

A-6. “I'm thinking about my identity, and not having one anymore. I mean, who am I, if I'm not the man who's failing Emma?”

A-7. More than 70 years after he received his only Oscar nomination, another actor won an Oscar for playing the same real-life role.

A-8. “You know, it occurs to me that the best way you hurt rich people is by turning them into poor people.”

A-9. You just can’t please some people. In reviewing one of this star’s movies in 1969, the reviewer for the New York Daily News begged, “Please stop trying to act!” . . . while the authors of The Fifty Worst Films of All Times commented that competition among his 31 flicks for a place in the book was particularly fierce.

A-10. “On our 20th wedding anniversary, he hits midlife crisis major. He starts working out, he, he grows a moustache, he gets an earring. I said, ‘Morty, Morty, what are you? A pirate? What's next? A parrot?’ And all of a sudden I'm a big drag. I'm holding him back because I won't go rollerblading.”

A-11. He was the first actor to play a role that was later taken on by – among others – George Sanders and Roger Moore.

A-12. “The gentleman from the South had a question about the dining arrangements. He and his comrades are discussing place settings now.”

A-13. His career has encompassed film adaptations of novels by Marcel Proust, Alexandre Dumas, Vladimir Nabokov, H. G. Wells, and Isabel Allende.

A-14. “During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody.”

A-15. He seemed poised for stardom when Billy Wilder cast him as the apex of a triangle involving two bigger – and older – stars, but it never quite happened.

A-16. “Sir Wilfrid, you’ve forgotten your brandy!”

A-17. Darryl F. Zanuck did his best to promote this French model’s film career, casting in a prominent role in The Longest Day and mentioning her big scene at virtually every press conference, but her film career barely lasted out the decade – which proves yet again that sleeping with the boss only gets you so far.

A-18. “What manner of man is Giacomo? Ha ha! I shall tell you what manner of man is he. He lives for a sigh, he dies for a kiss, he lusts for the laugh, ha! He never walks when he can leap! He never flees when he can fight! He swoons at the beauty of a rose. And I offer myself to you, all of me. My heart. My lips. My legs. My calves. Do what you will - my love endures. Beat me. Kick me. I am yours.”

A-19. One of his Oscar records was broken by Jessica Tandy, and another by Luise Rainer.

A-20. “It doesn't taste like pig sausage to me, it tastes like pork.”
“Why this isn't pig nor pork. It's beef. I smell a rat..”

A-21. He did a mean impersonation of one of the actors in the preceding clue and delivered the eulogy at his funeral.

A-22. “Man who argue with cow on wall is like train without wheels: very soon get nowhere.”

A-23. In the 1930s, a brand of condoms featuring this actor’s silhouette on the box was posthumously marketed under the name of his most famous character.

A-24. “Otto t-t-tried to k-k-kiss me.”

A-25. The ex-wife of an actor in one of the preceding clues, she is also the granddaughter of a figure beloved to all true game show aficionados.

A-26. “I've had two years to grow claws, Mother. Jungle red!”

A-27. Of all the actors and actresses who ever won an Oscar, this one had the earliest birth date.

A-28. “But I'd like the pie heated and I don't want the ice cream on top, I want it on the side, and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it, if not then no ice cream just whipped cream but only if it's real; if it's out of the can then nothing.”

A-29. His career encompassed film adaptations of novels by Charles Dickens, Sinclair Lewis, James Hilton, John P. Marquand, and Rudyard Kipling.

A-30. “This is my Peter - uh, my friend Peter. We just met at the intersexual ... homosection... INTERSECTION!”

A-31. In 1991, this actor founded the National Actors’ Theatre, which ultimately resulted in his receiving four Tony nominations as a producer.

A-32. “A fine thing. First, you sell me for two hundred bucks. Then I'm gonna marry the Princess; then you cut in on me. Then we're carried off by a desert sheik. Now, we're gonna have our heads chopped off.”

A-33. Despite a relatively undistinguished film career, he was probably the most photographed actor at the 1966 Oscars – thanks to his date, who never had a film career at all.

A-34. “You are just a shade of my real wife. You're the best I can do, but I'm sorry, you are just not good enough.”

A-35. Although this actress undoubtedly went through a lot, the most horrifying thing that you think happened to her was a fabrication of the man who wrote the biography that came out a few years after her death.

A-36. “I think you're some kind of deviated prevert.”

A-37. This character actress often signed autographs simply WWW.

A-38. “Sondheim! Send in the clowns!”

A-39. In 1983, he supplied the voice for a Disney character who had been around in comic books for more than 30 years but had never appeared on screen before.

A-40. “I like to take showers every morning and I don't like the panties drying on the rod. I like to cook so I will use the kitchen whenever I damn well please and I am very particular about my condiments, so, keep your salt and pepper to yourself. I also play the guitar in the middle of the night whenever I cannot sleep and I meditate every morning complete with chanting and burning incense so if you've got to walk around I'd appreciate a little tip-toeing. Also, I sleep in the nude. Au buffo. Winter and summer, rain or snow with the windows open and because I may have to go to the potty or to the fridge in the middle of the night and because I don't want to put on jammies which I do not own in the first place, unless you're looking for a quick thrill or your daughter an advanced education I would keep my door closed.”

A-41. She was the very last winner (to date) of the honorary Oscar for Outstanding Juvenile Performance.

A-42. “Don't write this down, but I find Milton probably as boring as you find Milton. Mrs. Milton found him boring too. He's a little bit long-winded, he doesn't translate very well into our generation, and his jokes are terrible. But that doesn't relieve you of your responsibility for this material. Now I'm waiting for reports from some of you... Listen, I'm not joking. This is my job!”

A-43. California Labor Code Section 2855 is informally named after this actress..

A-44. “I don't know about the rest of 'em but I'm gettin' a little tired of this yakity-yack and back-and-forth, it's gettin' us nowhere. So I guess I'll have to break it up.”

A-45. Just before her career went downhill, she got top billing in what many of us consider to be the least deserving Best Picture winner in Oscar history

A-46. “I've been thinking. Tomorrow it will be twenty-eight years to the day that I've been in the service. Twenty-eight years in peace and war. I don't suppose I've been at home more than ten months in all that time. Still, it's been a good life. I loved India. I wouldn't have had it any other way. But there are times when suddenly you realize you're nearer the end than the beginning. And you wonder, you ask yourself, what the sum total of your life represents. What difference your being there at any time made to anything. Hardly made any difference at all, really, particularly in comparison with other men's careers. I don't know whether that kind of thinking's very healthy; but I must admit I've had some thoughts on those lines from time to time. But tonight ... tonight!”

A-47. He said that accepting third billing in a classic film noir was the best decision he ever made, allowing him to ease from the starring roles he enjoyed in the 1930s to the character roles he played for the last 25 years of his career.

A-48. “We have all our rotten eggs in one basket. The objective of the operation: blow up the basket.”

A-49. At age 72, he made his last feature film – which also proved to be the final films of the two older co-stars who were billed over him.

A-50. “I didn't bring your breakfast because you didn't eat your din-din!”

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. The McGuffin in this film is carried by a stage performer who appears only at the beginning and the end.

B-2. “You are the audience! I am the author! I outrank you!”

B-3. Aside from the film’s title and a dedication to Monogram Pictures, this 1960s French classic has no credits whatsoever.

B-4. “With all due respect sir, I have done battle every single day of my life, and many men have underestimated me before. This lot seem bound to do the same, but they will rue the day. Now, shall I be mother? Tea?”

B-5. The composer who scored this screen spectacular often said it saved his life, since it allowed him to stay in the United States as the Nazis were marching into his native Austria.

B-6. “Aw, this is great. I'm chained to the only bird in the world who can't fly! Is there anything else I need to know?”
“Yes. I can't fly, I pick my beak, and once in a while I pee in the birdbath!”

B-7. The subject of this biopic was born in Louisville on January 17, 1942; the actor who played the title role was born in Philadelphia on September 25, 1968.

B-8. “Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. There are simply too many notes, that's all.”

B-9. One of the actors on List A won a second Oscar for playing the title role in this movie.

B-10. “You make it with some of these chicks, they think you gotta dance with them.”

B-11. Thirty years after this adaptation of a Broadway musical was nominated for the Oscar for Best Picture, an adaptation of another Broadway musical by the same composer and lyricist was nominated for the Oscar for Best Picture.

B-12. “Yes! You will be welcome in Zukuru! The head man's locust bean cakes- they will be your locust bean cakes! His fermented buffalo milk will be your fermented buffalo milk! "

B-13. The other half of the phrase that supplied the title for this 1959 British comedy is “F**k you.”

B-14. “I know why he won't defend himself! That has a bearing on the case, hasn't it? He's been hurt, he's been hurt by everybody he met since he came here, principally by me. He's been the victim of every conniving crook in town. The newspapers pounced on him, made him a target for their feeble humor. I was smarter than the rest of them: I got closer to him, so I could laugh louder. Why shouldn't he keep quiet - every time he said anything it was twisted around to sound imbecilic! He can thank me for it. I handed the gang a grand laugh. It's a fitting climax to my sense of humor.”

B-15. This Universal monster classic was filmed primarily in the Mojave Desert.

B-16. “You have a little girl. She looks up to you. You're her oracle. You're her hero. And then the day comes when she gets her first permanent wave and goes to her first real party, and from that day on, you're in a constant state of panic.”

B-17. This silent western starred an actor on List A who we rarely associate with westerns, and marked the first featured role for a future superstar who we always associate with westerns.

B-18. “There are many things my father taught me here in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.”

B-19. This was the last film adaptation of a verse play by the author of Elizabeth the Queen and Mary of Scotland.

B-20. “There's a quarter of a million dollars in heroin in the diaper pail and the new baby wipes are in the hall cabinet.”

B-21. The producers of À Nous la Liberté sued one of the actors on List A over this film – much to the embarrassment of the director of À Nous la Liberté.

B-22. “Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly but without pity that which yesterday was young. Alone our memories resist this disintegration and grow more lovely with the passing years. Heh! That's hard to say with false teeth!”

B-23. This movie marked the screen debut of the only actress ever to receive an Oscar nomination for each of her first three films.

B-24. “The Carthaginians defending the city were attacked by three Roman legions. The Carthaginians were proud and brave but they couldn't hold. They were massacred. Arab women stripped them of their tunics and their swords and lances. The soldiers lay naked in the sun. Two thousand years ago. I was here.”

B-25. In this, her last film, a two-time Oscar winner famously got to beat up on one of the actors on List A.

B-26. “In my case, self-absorption is completely justified. I have never discovered any other subject quite so worthy of my attention.”

B-27. If you want to get a lesson in how to do the waltz from Ma Kettle, this will surely be your only chance.

B-28. “Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile.”

B-29. The singing in this 1955 biopic was dubbed by Eileen Farrell.

B-30. “What happened after the honeymoon? Did desire grow or did familiarity make partners want other lovers? Was the notion of ever-deepening romance a myth along with simultaneous orgasm? The only time Rifkin and his wife experienced one was when they were granted their divorce. Maybe in the end, the idea was not to expect too much out of life.”

B-31. This movie was adapted from a Broadway play that had starred Ralph Meeker, Janice Rule, Kim Stanley, Eileen Heckart and – in a supporting role – a young actor named Paul Newman.

B-32. “When we first met years ago, it was an evening much like this. Magic in the air. A boy.”
“A girl.”
“An open grave. It was my first funeral.”
“You were so beautiful. Pale and mysterious. No one even looked at the corpse.”

B-33. This film was ranked #7 on the AFI list of ten greatest sci-fi movies and #2 on Bravo’s list of scariest movie moments.

B-34. “When I walked in, the person in that room was naked from the waist down, and if that was a woman, then she was wearing the greatest disguise that I have ever seen.”

B-35. The most important writer ever to win an Oscar did so for this movie. (He professed to be highly insulted by the honor.)

B-36. “I’m not a smart man, but I know what love is.”

B-37. A song from this movie set a record that remained unbroken until Princess Diana died. (Yes, there’s a connection.)

B-38. “Well I don't see why you're getting so upset about all this.”
“Because I want my body back. And I want my freedom and my privacy. And most of all, I'd like to be able to take a leak without being fondled.”
“You may find this hard to believe, but 'fondling you' while you make pee-pee is not my idea of a good time.”

B-39. In this notorious turkey, a famous macho personality playing himself foils a plot to murder him and use his body to smuggle cocaine into the United States from Mexico. (No, I’m not making this up.)

B-40. “After lunch, after we've gobbled up all those silly strawberries, we'll take ourselves to the old town road. We've been there a thousand times. A thousand. And you'll remember it all. Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back up on that horse and I'm going to be right behind you holding on tight and away we're going to go, go, go.”

B-41. This epic inspired a famous Groucho Marx quip about the relative physiques of the leading man and leading lady.

B-42. “It's no. The answer is no. He won't back any increase in pensions. He won't even talk about it. And there won't be any increase in pensions. And do you know why? Because they got a solid majority of both Republicans and Democrats who've agreed that if anything is said about pensions, they'll actually reduce your pension! Why? Because they know that you personally were more responsible than anybody else for closing down the houses. And could I do anything? Would he listen to me? Hah! All right. So you're an honest cop. And you've spent a lifetime being an honest cop. And you've got that, and that's all you've got! It's no good saying I'm sorry. I'm too angry and sick at my stomach to be sorry.”

B-43. This 1985 western featured one star who had appeared in the director’s previous film and another who had famously been cut out of the director’s previous film.

B-44. “If she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will….”

B-45. This remake of a 31 year-old horror movie was set on exactly the opposite side of the world.

B-46. “Could you leave? Please?”
“ I haven't finished charming you yet.”
“You haven't started.”
“Gimme a chance.”
“Look, go find yourself a nice little cowgirl and make nice little cowbabies and leave me alone.”
“I'm hung like a horse. Think about it.”
“Let’s see.”
“Excuse me? ”
“Mr. Ed, let's see. ”
“Look, I tried to be nice. I can see that's something you're not. ”
“No, I'm trying. I can be very nice when I try. Sit down. ”
“OK, maybe we just got off to a bad start. I know plenty of people - What are you doing?”
“I believe what we're looking for is a certain horse-like quality?”

B-47. When this French film was remade by Hollywood, the setting was changed from medieval France to the Reconstruction South.

B-48. “He finally got to the top of the world, and it blew right up in his face.”

B-49. The actor who played the grizzled army sergeant in this movie had previously made a movie for the same director in which he played a grizzled army sergeant on the opposite side of the same war. (The director won Oscars for both movies, the actor for neither.)

B-50. “It wouldn't have explained anything. I don't think any word can explain a man's life.”