Separate Forums

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)

Do you think we should keep separate forums or not?

Yes, keep the transcripts and other subforums separate
37%
No, put everything in one main Bored like on Go
22%
Other, please expound in thread
19%
Where is the forum for WGAS in Gastonia?
22%

Total votes: 27

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Separate Forums

#26 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:45 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:You're not willing to leave Shade with this one, little concession? He's being overwhelmed by our off-topic banter, you know! :)

See. I just happened to hit the main index and saw that Shade posted this in the suggestion forum, so this finally made sense to me. There are too many places to look for stuff on here that used to all be in one place....

lb13

eyégor
???????

#27 Post by eyégor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:08 am

One other item to consider. I have noticed that many of the guest users come here to browse through the transcripts. By not exposing them to the general insanity that passes for normal around here, there is little if any chance of picking them up as "new blood".

How many of us first arrived here looking for show specific information and were delighted to find so much more available here?

Troll raises non-picking hand

MarleysGh0st

#28 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:12 am

eyégor wrote:One other item to consider. I have noticed that many of the guest users come here to browse through the transcripts. By not exposing them to the general insanity that passes for normal around here, there is little if any chance of picking them up as "new blood".
And how many visitors notice the insanity and run screaming in terror? :P

gsabc

#29 Post by gsabc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:16 am

eyégor wrote:Troll raises non-picking hand
Speaking as one who just had a mid-morning snack, I thank you!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#30 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:17 am

eyégor wrote: Troll raises non-picking hand
Don't you kinda lose your balance when you do that?
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

peacock2121

#31 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:43 am

I vote for having the transcript team post them in both places. Comments here and for people who just want to read them - like shade - they can stay over there.

Makes both worlds happy.

MarleysGh0st

#32 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:46 am

peacock2121 wrote:I vote for having the transcript team post them in both places. Comments here and for people who just want to read them - like shade - they can stay over there.

Makes both worlds happy.
Except for the transcriptionists. :(

I don't think we need a copy of the transcripts without everyone else's comments attached to them; people who don't like the comments don't have to read any farther in the thread. And the discussions, off-topic meanderings and all, are all part of the experience around here.

[Redacted]
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

peacock2121

#33 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:51 am

I stand by my vote as well.

Corn

#34 Post by Corn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:53 am

skipping the hi part for now...lol.

does this board software support tags? it sounds like the easiest option that matches how people want to view the board, makes stuff easy to find, and involves the least work for modmins is to use tags. I resisted them for so long (still refuse to tag my livejournal, but that's because there is so much to catalog) but they're actually very useful. works like this -- open threads in the main board as you're used to doing, and then you can come up with a tagging system such as giving today's the tags 'october07, transcript' or whatever else you can come up with...a contestant name, top dollar value, whatever. then when you want to go back and find those threads, you go to the tag list and either click on or search on the ones you want and it pulls up the threads. it's a bit more reliable and easy to use than search functions.

eh. it's a little more easy to demo when you can see it of course.

another option might be to have the discussion threads in the main board, and then copy the first post to a weekly archival thread with a link to the original discussion. that's more work though.

peacock2121

Votes and such

#35 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:53 am

Is it a male thing to have to keep ramming your opinion? Is louder/righter thing a mostly X thing?

MarleysGh0st

#36 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:56 am

I will volunteer to become a moderator, to archive the threads from the regular Bored Posts forum to the Show Transcripts forum after a certain time, if that's the solution we adopt.

Cross-posting in two forums at once will only tend to fragment the discussion, with some people posting in one forum, some in the other, some in both, and some just not bothering.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Votes and such

#37 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 am

peacock2121 wrote:Is it a male thing to have to keep ramming your opinion? Is louder/righter thing a mostly X thing?
No, I suppose I was repeating that in the belief that folks might be voting for the choices given in the poll at the top of the thread without reading the discussion first, so that they might not be aware of the alternatives suggested therein.

And I think you mean a "Y" thing... :P

I'll delete the excess posts. I see they offend you.

[In in the development of the discussion, only one line appeared to be an excessive "ramming of opinion". That line has been redacted.
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#38 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 am

I just did a test with a non-transcript thread in the Transcript forum, and in moving a thread you can keep a shadow thread in the old forum. This would make takinover's compromise work better for me in that the content of the thread would stay on the Main forum, even though the thread is actually in the subforum (And any late replies would end up there also, but that isn't too terribly problematic for me).

This may require a new poll....

lb13

gsabc

Re: Votes and such

#39 Post by gsabc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:01 am

peacock2121 wrote:Is it a male thing to have to keep ramming your opinion? Is louder/righter thing a mostly X thing?
I respect your opinion, and will defend to the death your right to tell such lies. ;-)
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

tanstaafl2

#40 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:07 am

I kinda like the transcripts in one spot just so that you can find them easily to read through them.

Would it be a problem to post the transcripts in both places? Other than the extra work of course which I presume would be little more than cutting and pasting one extra time?

That way people who want to quickly find the transcripts themselves can do so without having to battle the vagaries of the search function. The transcripts can be kept there in the transcript forum without any banter at all, just a locked forum for review of the transcripts perhaps if that is possible.

Meanwhile the off topic banter can continue in the main forum as it always has.

:idea: :?:
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

eyégor
???????

#41 Post by eyégor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:08 am

Gee Corn, no avatar?

Maybe you can unretire the monster suit.

tanstaafl2

#42 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:09 am

Seems this was suggested already. Maybe I should read the whole thread before posting, eh?

I vote for Pea's plan!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

#43 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I will volunteer to become a moderator, to archive the threads from the regular Bored Posts forum to the Show Transcripts forum after a certain time, if that's the solution we adopt.

Cross-posting in two forums at once will only tend to fragment the discussion, with some people posting in one forum, some in the other, some in both, and some just not bothering.
Couldn't the transcript forum be locked to everyone but administrators and transcriptionist so that there would be no option for cross posting?
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

MarleysGh0st

#44 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:13 am

eyégor wrote:Gee Corn, no avatar?

She just delurked--give her a chance.

Welcome, Corn! You sure picked a lively thread to make your entrance! :lol:

And I'd like to see a photo of Corn in one of her famous "non-singing" Opera roles! :)

starfish1113

#45 Post by starfish1113 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:34 am

I like it the way it is. I have been able to read the transcripts every day now, when before they often got lost and I'd never read them.

I don't mind the idea of having the transcripts over in the separate folder for a while and then bringing them over to the main folder, but I really hope they remain where they are at least for a while.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#46 Post by kayrharris » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:46 pm

Now I'm more confused than ever, but then again I'm pretty much computer illiterate. What the heck is tagging??? Doesn't sound like something I would adapt to easily, but I would be willing to try.

MarleysGh0st

#47 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:55 pm

kayrharris wrote:Now I'm more confused than ever, but then again I'm pretty much computer illiterate. What the heck is tagging??? Doesn't sound like something I would adapt to easily, but I would be willing to try.
Well, before you vote here, note that beast superceded this with a "New Transcript Poll"

A tag is a keyword that can be used to classify the posts. For an example, you can look at Slashdot (a board for serious computer geeks, which might scare you even more, but don't worry about that):

http://slashdot.org/

Each thread there starts with an article summary, along with links to see all their comments (and they get a huge number of comments in their threads). There are also some words followed by the phrase (tagging beta). Each of those tag words is a link that can bring up a list of all the other threads with that same tag word.

So it's sort of like a search feature, where somebody is predefining the search terms.

Corn

#48 Post by Corn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:13 pm

eyégor wrote:Gee Corn, no avatar?

heh. all my avie pics are on my laptop at home. and they're probably all too small for this board! can I use a gigantic flashing obnoxious signature banner?
MarleysGh0st wrote: Welcome, Corn! You sure picked a lively thread to make your entrance! :lol:

And I'd like to see a photo of Corn in one of her famous "non-singing" Opera roles! :)
heh. did you expect anything less of me? :wink: alas, I haven't been able to get back over to the BOC since I moved, but I still have all of the old pictures. :)
kayrharris wrote:Now I'm more confused than ever, but then again I'm pretty much computer illiterate. What the heck is tagging??? Doesn't sound like something I would adapt to easily, but I would be willing to try.
http://www.flicksnshows.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91
This might be a less intimidating forum to check out than slashdot...anything tagged with 'episdoe' was probably tagged by me, lol. it is sort of a search with predefined terms, I guess, except a search for the term transcript would bring up anything in which the word transcript appears, including this thread. if only transcript threads were tagged with transcript, you can jump straight to them. the nice thing about tags is that they are there for those that want to use them, and quite easy to ignore for those that don't want to use them.
funniest use I have ever seen was a spammer that showed up over there trying to get everyone to buy his Nokias and Ipods, and he actually bothered tagging his thread with the Nokia models he was selling.

MarleysGh0st

#49 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Corn wrote: heh. all my avie pics are on my laptop at home. and they're probably all too small for this board! can I use a gigantic flashing obnoxious signature banner?
Ack! Did Pea set you up to ask that? :roll:
Corn wrote: This might be a less intimidating forum to check out than slashdot...anything tagged with 'episdoe' was probably tagged by me, lol. it is sort of a search with predefined terms, I guess, except a search for the term transcript would bring up anything in which the word transcript appears, including this thread. if only transcript threads were tagged with transcript, you can jump straight to them. the nice thing about tags is that they are there for those that want to use them, and quite easy to ignore for those that don't want to use them.
funniest use I have ever seen was a spammer that showed up over there trying to get everyone to buy his Nokias and Ipods, and he actually bothered tagging his thread with the Nokia models he was selling.
I can't find any mention of the tag feature in the phpBB User Guide, but assuming that the feature was available (or became so in the future), who adds the tags to a post? Can anyone do that to their own post or is that a moderator's function?

Corn

#50 Post by Corn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:43 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: Ack! Did Pea set you up to ask that? :roll:
nope! just joking. they actually get on my nerves when they're too big or overdone, because most of the larger boards I frequent disallow them for using too much bandwidth. or whatever the right term is.
I can't find any mention of the tag feature in the phpBB User Guide, but assuming that the feature was available (or became so in the future), who adds the tags to a post? Can anyone do that to their own post or is that a moderator's function?
hmm...well, the board I linked previously is on vbulletin and I know they have a lot of the same features, but maybe not that one. They know better than to allow me anywhere near the code, lol. I think admins can set it up a couple of different ways. fns is set up so that any user can tag, and mods can remove tags.