A filibuster with a point

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

A filibuster with a point

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:20 pm

As some of you may know, the Texas Legislature is on the verge of enacting significant restrictions on abortion. State senator Wendy Davis has decided to make a stand. Literally. She currently holds the floor, and as long as she does hold the floor, no vote can occur.

What makes this interesting is that the session will end at midnight Central Time tonight. So if Senator Davis can hold the floor for a little less than 7 more hours (as of this writing), she will have singlehandedly prevented the bill's passage. At least for the time being. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

Re: A filibuster with a point

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Bob78164 wrote:As some of you may know, the Texas Legislature is on the verge of enacting significant restrictions on abortion. State senator Wendy Davis has decided to make a stand. Literally. She currently holds the floor, and as long as she does hold the floor, no vote can occur.

What makes this interesting is that the session will end at midnight Central Time tonight. So if Senator Davis can hold the floor for a little less than 7 more hours (as of this writing), she will have singlehandedly prevented the bill's passage. At least for the time being. --Bob
I am in favor of the old-fashioned filibuster. If Wendy Davis or Rand Paul wants to stand up and make a point about particular legislation, let them, and then let the public via C-Span watch it and judge.

I can't stand the non-filibuster filibuster whereby 41 senators can actually prevent debate by a vote. I don't think our founding fathers envisioned minorities holding up legislation through these tactics (they were fully capable of requiring a 2/3 vote for treaties, impeachment, and amendments), and I doubt the public would either. I'd love to see the reaction if Mitch McConnell or Ted Cruz stood up for hours on end actually talking about immigration or whatever else he wanted to fill up his time with and then let the comedians have a go at what was actually said.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 am

I'd love to see the reaction if Mitch McConnell or Ted Cruz stood up for hours on end actually talking about immigration

No one, absolutely no one, has a problem with immigration. What we have the problem with is ILLEGAL immigration. There is a vast difference. And I am constantly amazed at the people who try, by language, to combine the two vastly different circumstances into one by leaving out the ILLEGAL part.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
I'd love to see the reaction if Mitch McConnell or Ted Cruz stood up for hours on end actually talking about immigration

No one, absolutely no one, has a problem with immigration. What we have the problem with is ILLEGAL immigration.
Many people on the left have a problem with illegal immigration too. We are just trying to come up with a workable solution for everyone, including the millions of families with illegal parents and children born in the USA. The angry venomous posturings of those on the right may make their base feel good but they won't work.

My gut view is that Obama didn't really care all that much about the immigration issue when he brought it up in January but he knew it was a wedge issue with voters and that Republicans would jump all over it. Even Obama didn't realize that Republicans would continue to marginalize themselves with yet another group of voters by making abortions a hot topic again. They've managed in a very graphic fashion to make themselves appear as haeartless chauvinistic brutes taking on one woman in Texas.

That's a great way to expand your base, one that's demographically shrinking every day.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 am

No one, absolutely no one, has a problem with immigration. What we have the problem with is ILLEGAL immigration. There is a vast difference. And I am constantly amazed at the people who try, by language, to combine the two vastly different circumstances into one by leaving out the ILLEGAL part.

That's not quite correct, the part about no one having a problem with immigration. One problem with legal immigration is that it's glacially slow. Much more pressing here in Colorado, it doesn't solve the problem farmers and ranchers have finding the numbers of seasonal help they need. One Colorado farmer is on the record saying he would go out of business without a seasonal influx of undocumented workers from Mexico, and the same thing is true of lots of farmers who aren't on the record. President George W. Bush's administration proposed a guest worker program, with provisions emphasizing a requirement for guest workers to return to their homes when work periods ended, but legislators heard "amnesty" instead of "guest worker," and S.2611 died in 2006.

Progress on The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 proceeds at a snail's pace. Instead of "amnesty," legislators are hearing "increased illegal immigration."
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 am

Filibusters have a point? Looks like a lot of hot air to me....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 am

BULLSHIT! PLENTY of people have problems with immigrants, legal or not, from Mexico and South America. They don't give a shit if they don't have a visa, they don't want them here. Of course many of these folks have ancestors who were discriminated against when they arrived in the U.S. The whole "illegals are stealing services from the government" is just a smokescreen for bigotry. In fact the "illegals" pay more in taxes than they get back. Many pay Social Security taxes that they'll never get back.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:16 am

It was very, very close, but she pulled it off. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am

[quote="Bob Juch]They don't give a shit if they don't have a visa, they don't want them here. [/quote]

Many businesses want to keep a large number of illegal immigrants around because they are a very good supply of cheap, hard working labor.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:50 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:They don't give a shit if they don't have a visa, they don't want them here.
Many businesses want to keep a large number of illegal immigrants around because they are a very good supply of cheap, hard working labor.
Yep, South Carolina passed a mandatory e-Verify check for all employers in the state a few years ago. It exempted hotel maids, agricultural workers, etc.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Filibusters have a point? Looks like a lot of hot air to me....

lb13
We interrupt this political debate to say, Found it!

themanintheseersuckersuit

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Wendy Davis said Tuesday that she would have supported a ban on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, if the law adequately deferred to a woman and her doctor

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics ... -women.ece
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Wendy Davis said Tuesday that she would have supported a ban on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, if the law adequately deferred to a woman and her doctor

I think I understand this..

Wendy's law: You can't have an abortion after 20 weeks.....unless you want one.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:33 pm

BackInTex wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Wendy Davis said Tuesday that she would have supported a ban on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, if the law adequately deferred to a woman and her doctor

No, for those people who understand English, which leaves out a large portion of the Republican party's most ardent supporters, this is what she said:
“It was the least objectionable,” she said. “I would have and could have voted to allow that to go through, if I felt like we had tightly defined the ability for a woman and a doctor to be making this decision together and not have the Legislature get too deep in the weeds of how we would describe when that was appropriate.”
Translation: As long as the legislature (or the court) doesn't try to second guess a medical decision of what's appropriate for a woman' s health in a particular situation.

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:59 pm

BackInTex wrote:

No, for those people who understand English, which leaves out a large portion of the Republican party's most ardent supporters, this is what she said:
“It was the least objectionable,” she said. “I would have and could have voted to allow that to go through, if I felt like we had tightly defined the ability for a woman and a doctor to be making this decision together and not have the Legislature get too deep in the weeds of how we would describe when that was appropriate.”
Translation: As long as the legislature (or the court) doesn't try to second guess a medical decision of what's appropriate for a woman' s health in a particular situation.

I and most of the Republican party understand fine. Its you, and a lot of the Democratic party that have no common sense when it comes to things like this.

So how would the law be phrased? How would it be enforced? Anyone who wanted one would get one. Real world. That's what we live in. Not your make believe state of mind.
The law allows for exceptions for fetal abnormalities and a threat to the woman’s life, but Davis said those didn’t go far enough.
What would not qualify under that that is not simply "I want one."? Answer, nothing.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 pm

BackInTex wrote: So how would the law be phrased? How would it be enforced? Anyone who wanted one would get one. Real world. That's what we live in. Not your make believe state of mind.
The real world is that women don't wait until that late in a pregnancy to have an abortion because the baby is inconvenient. If they wanted an abortion earlier for personal reasons, when it is medically a much simpler and less risky procedure, they would have gotten one. These abortions only occur when there are major health issues involved, often those that don't manifest themselves until a later stage of the pregnancy.

Your reply, and those of the narrow minded Puritans like you who think you know better than a woman and her doctor about her health, indicates that you want to put yourselves in a position of making the call of when an abortion is medically justified.

It's rather sad that the same people who got on their high horse about government "death panels" under Obamacare deciding who gets treatment or doesn't want to take that same authority on themselves to decide which women have really severe enough health problems to justify an abortion. Of course, you care nothing about women's health, either in general or in the case of these pregnant women. You are just looking for any pretext to justify limiting abortions any way you can, regardless of how many women suffer or die in the process.

Jessie

#17 Post by Jessie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:24 pm

BackInTex wrote: So how would the law be phrased? How would it be enforced? Anyone who wanted one would get one. Real world. That's what we live in. Not your make believe state of mind.
The real world is that women don't wait until that late in a pregnancy to have an abortion because the baby is inconvenient. If they wanted an abortion earlier for personal reasons, when it is medically a much simpler and less risky procedure, they would have gotten one. These abortions only occur when there are major health issues involved, often those that don't manifest themselves until a later stage of the pregnancy.

Your reply, and those of the narrow minded Puritans like you who think you know better than a woman and her doctor about her health, indicates that you want to put yourselves in a position of making the call of when an abortion is medically justified.

It's rather sad that the same people who got on their high horse about government "death panels" under Obamacare deciding who gets treatment or doesn't want to take that same authority on themselves to decide which women have really severe enough health problems to justify an abortion. Of course, you care nothing about women's health, either in general or in the case of these pregnant women. You are just looking for any pretext to justify limiting abortions any way you can, regardless of how many women suffer or die in the process.
SSS, you are spot on! I listened many hours of testimony from healthcare professionals as well as ordinary Texans regarding HB2 last summer. Some of the testimony read by Senator Davis during her filibuster was simply heartbreaking. Difficult decisions regarding the termination of pregnancy due to fetal anomalies are best left to a woman, her partner and her physician...not a woman, her partner and a politician.

Winner of Sh&%house Rats Award 2010
Co-Winner of Sh&%house Rats Award 2014

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Jessie wrote:Difficult decisions regarding the termination of pregnancy due to fetal anomalies are best left to a woman, her partner and her physician...not a woman, her partner and a politician.
Like I said, her law would be "no abortions after 20 weeks, unless you want one."
silverscreenselect wrote:Of course, you care nothing about women's health, either in general or in the case of these pregnant women. You are just looking for any pretext to justify limiting abortions any way you can, regardless of how many women suffer or die in the process.
Find one quote where I've ever said I was for restricting abortions through law. I've commented to the contrary, several times. I've only highlighted the hipocracy of politicians, and the likes of you.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:19 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Jessie wrote:Difficult decisions regarding the termination of pregnancy due to fetal anomalies are best left to a woman, her partner and her physician...not a woman, her partner and a politician.
Like I said, her law would be "no abortions after 20 weeks, unless you want one."
To say that women "want" abortions late in the pregnancy is like saying my father wanted his leg cut off in World War II. It's not something he would have chosen for the heck of it but it was better than the alternative. Women and their doctors weigh the risks and likely results both to mother and fetus of both continuing and terminating the pregnancy and make a decision. In most cases, it's not a clearcut decision one way or the other. However, it's not a decision that should be second guessed by politicians or courts or by no-nothings who claim that this all a matter of catering to a woman's whims and finding an agreeable doctor to go along with it.

There's no hypocrisy here, just a rather abysmal ignorance of what goes on in women's minds when they decide whether to continue a problematic late term pregnancy.

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:To say that women "want" abortions late in the pregnancy is like saying my father wanted his leg cut off in World War II.
Semantics, because you're losing the argument. You ignore the fact you accuse me of wanting to outlaw all abortions and then ignore the truth that I've never said such things and am actually on the same side of the debate as you are, but for completely different reasons.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

christie1111
11:11

#21 Post by christie1111 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Sigh.

My neice had a pregnancy that was terminated late in the pregnancy. I don't remember how long it was because it doesn't matter. The child was determined to have heart defects significant enough that it could not survive birth. There were no surgical options that could have saved the child either in the womb (an amazing thing) or post birth. They had long discussions and difficult decisions to make.

It was a tragic thing. They mourned the loss and had a religious ceremony.

How dare any legislation deny them the right to have this tragedy end sooner.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#22 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:21 am

christie1111 wrote:Sigh.

My neice had a pregnancy that was terminated late in the pregnancy. I don't remember how long it was because it doesn't matter. The child was determined to have heart defects significant enough that it could not survive birth. There were no surgical options that could have saved the child either in the womb (an amazing thing) or post birth. They had long discussions and difficult decisions to make.

It was a tragic thing. They mourned the loss and had a religious ceremony.

How dare any legislation deny them the right to have this tragedy end sooner.
My sister had a similar situation. She learned late in her pregnancy that her daughter had no chance. In her case, though (and I'm not sure whether the issue here was medical or legal -- she lives in Pennsylvania), by the time she learned the news it was too late for her to have an abortion, so she had to go through childbirth, only to have her daughter die a few hours later.

BiT -- no one "wants" an abortion at 20 weeks or later. But sometimes it's the best of a bad set of alternatives, and I'd rather trust the women in that situation to make that decision than some politician trying to score political points. --Bob

mrkelley23

#23 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Wow. A thread which summarizes the whole "debate" about abortion in this country.

Wendy Davis admits that she might have voted for a bill which contained some abortion restrictions. Guess what? Very few people in this country are all the way to one side or the other on the continuum, no matter what Dailykos and Foxnews would have you believe.

I don't know what BiT thinks or believes about abortion and guess what? Neither does anyone on this Bored, unless they have knowledge from outside this Bored. Because he usually self-identifies as conservative, and because he has disdained traditional liberal causes, the usual suspects are climbing all over themselves to infer that he must want to ban all abortions always and let the OWGs on the Texas legislature decide everything about the issue. He might have phrased it a little more snarkily, but guess what? What BiT said in his post on this subject is almost exactly the same as what Bob#s said in the post immediately before this one. Semantically, it is the same. I would quibble that it is not JUST the woman wanting it, since a qualified medical professional must agree, but if a woman gets an abortion, even if it is the only choice possible from a long list of less desirable choices, she still wants it. No one is dragged into a clinic against her will -- that's kind of the whole point, isn't it?

So the shouting across the barricades continues, and no one listens and tries to empathize with the "other side's" point of view. Except guess what? It's not a zero sum game, and there are lots more than 2 sides.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

#24 Post by BackInTex » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:30 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Wow. A thread which summarizes the whole "debate" about abortion in this country.

Wendy Davis admits that she might have voted for a bill which contained some abortion restrictions. Guess what? Very few people in this country are all the way to one side or the other on the continuum, no matter what Dailykos and Foxnews would have you believe.

I don't know what BiT thinks or believes about abortion and guess what? Neither does anyone on this Bored, unless they have knowledge from outside this Bored. Because he usually self-identifies as conservative, and because he has disdained traditional liberal causes, the usual suspects are climbing all over themselves to infer that he must want to ban all abortions always and let the OWGs on the Texas legislature decide everything about the issue. He might have phrased it a little more snarkily, but guess what? What BiT said in his post on this subject is almost exactly the same as what Bob#s said in the post immediately before this one. Semantically, it is the same. I would quibble that it is not JUST the woman wanting it, since a qualified medical professional must agree, but if a woman gets an abortion, even if it is the only choice possible from a long list of less desirable choices, she still wants it. No one is dragged into a clinic against her will -- that's kind of the whole point, isn't it?

So the shouting across the barricades continues, and no one listens and tries to empathize with the "other side's" point of view. Except guess what? It's not a zero sum game, and there are lots more than 2 sides.
Now listen hear! You just quit being reasonable, you hear? I only serves to make the rest of us look silly.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:34 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Wow. A thread which summarizes the whole "debate" about abortion in this country.

I'll tell you what I believe: It's none of my business.