Exciting afternoon

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
hermillion
Bored Millionaire

Exciting afternoon

#1 Post by hermillion » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:55 pm

We have been under a "lockdown" for the past 45 minutes, or so. Don't know exactly why this was enacted, but I'm trying to keep 28 8th-graders calm. They aren't frightened, just keyed up with the change of routine. This group should have moved on to their next class 25 minutes ago.

My Magic Formula? I have my Beatles CD playing, and they are all singing along. I love the fact that they all know this music!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

earendel

Re: Exciting afternoon

#2 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:57 pm

hermillion wrote:We have been under a "lockdown" for the past 45 minutes, or so. Don't know exactly why this was enacted, but I'm trying to keep 28 8th-graders calm. They aren't frightened, just keyed up with the change of routine. This group should have moved on to their next class 25 minutes ago.

My Magic Formula? I have my Beatles CD playing, and they are all singing along. I love the fact that they all know this music!
"Lockdown"? I hope it's just a precaution and there's nothing really wrong.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

Re: Exciting afternoon

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:59 pm

hermillion wrote:My Magic Formula? I have my Beatles CD playing, and they are all singing along. I love the fact that they all know this music!
How many of them have been to see Across the Universe? Evidently it's a big hit among pre-teen and teen-aged girls. It's a musical, using Beatles songs (sung by different artists). That's all I know about it, however.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:59 pm

I hope they resolve the situation soon, whatever it is.

Shouldn't you be at the end of the school day by now?

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#5 Post by hermillion » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Our school day runs from 8:10 until 3:45. We have 40 minutes to go, but everyone seems calm.

We had a similar situation three or four years ago. A gentleman waiting in his car outside a nearby elementary school, while his daughter went inside to pick up her child, was shot to death by an assailant who then fled on foot into the neighborhood. We didn't get the word until about 5 minutes after we released our students. Most of them were already on buses heading out the driveway, but there were probably still 150 kids wating outside. The principal put out an "all-call", teachers dashed out the doors blowing whistles and waving kids back into the building. No panic or screaming, but all the students turned and ran inside. I would say it took under a minute to herd all of them back in, and seat them in the cafeteria.

We have great kids!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

christie1111
11:11

#6 Post by christie1111 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:19 pm

Son1111's school was evacuated and the bomb squad called due to a suspisious package last week.

Luckily it turned out to be nothing.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

christie1111
11:11

#7 Post by christie1111 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:21 pm

Hermillion?

Would you mind if I ask your professional opinion about Son1111 by PM later?

Please let me know if you would rather I not bother you about such things here. I would understand.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#8 Post by hermillion » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:49 pm

Christie:

Feel free. I won't be home until around 6:30 this evening, but will answer as best I can.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:50 pm

OK, so what happened?!

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:32 am

Bob Juch wrote:OK, so what happened?!
Yeah, inquiring minds want to know.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#11 Post by hermillion » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:22 am

There was a shooting at a home about 1/2 mile from our school. There is no official word on the connection between the shooter and the victim, who is currently hospitalized and not being cooperative with police.

Everybody here is OK. Sadly, the kids don't seem fazed by the fact of a neighborhood shooting.