New Amsterdam thread - 3/17/08 episode

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

New Amsterdam thread - 3/17/08 episode

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Spoiler
Why did they even bother mentioning that the doctor has a husband, if they're already separated and the plot twist doesn't even cause a one episode delay in Amsterdam ending up in bed with her?

And if she's his one true love and he's found her, he loses his immortality now and the next time he takes some unthinking risk with his life--because that's become a habit over the past four centuries when it wasn't a risk--he'll die and the show will be over! :twisted:

It was curious that the serial murderer gets away in this episode, when the focus switches to the victim's father.

ghostjmf

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Spoiler
serial murderer didn't get away; they tied him to other crimes & he copped a plea. Amsterdam then tells the father that serial murderer claims to have reraped & killed the daughter, & that the news is going to publicize this. That's what provokes the father's confession of guilt; to get that "rerape" part out of the story so that people who know he killed his own daughter as "damaged goods" won't think he raped her, too.

Anyone who knows anything about DNA evidence would know they'd be vindicated & wouldn't have to confess. But the crime is not the point of the story in this series anyway.

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:00 pm

oops. I watched the Bachelor. :oops:

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:53 am

I must say that the flashbacks are very tightly integrated with the rest of the show, which is a good thing. I agree with Marley that dragging the husband into the picture was unnecessary unless he's going to make a play to win his wife back, setting up a conflict with Amsterdam - or, better yet, he goes crazy and tries to kill Amsterdam, and succeeds because Amsterdam's found his one true love.

I figured out that it was an honor killing, given the ethnicity of the family involved.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:18 am

earendel wrote:I must say that the flashbacks are very tightly integrated with the rest of the show, which is a good thing. I agree with Marley that dragging the husband into the picture was unnecessary unless he's going to make a play to win his wife back, setting up a conflict with Amsterdam - or, better yet, he goes crazy and tries to kill Amsterdam, and succeeds because Amsterdam's found his one true love.

I figured out that it was an honor killing, given the ethnicity of the family involved.
Didn't seem to me to be that difficult to figure out that it was going to be an "honor" killing. I pretty much assumed that when they made a point about it being a different knife. As was noted earlier the crimes in this show seem pretty much secondary to the other storylines/flashbacks. It strikes me as odd that they have him bedding down the new girlfriend so quickly. Usually most shows try to play on the sexual tension aspect between characters in some fashion. Maybe that will occur in future episodes as the preview suggested. Also seems likely that the husband will have to play some role in the future given he was deliberately introduced to the storyline and the phone conversation indicating he is still more into the relationship than she obviously is.

My guess is that he will infact do as you suggested and try to kill Amsterdam and that this will result in the proof of his immortality which it seems that he is about to reveal to her in the next episode. Of course now that they have "done the deed", and if she is "the one", than will he still be immortal? Or perhaps it will require her to commit unconditionally to him before the spell is broken. Obviously it didn't seem that there was any indication that anything had changed just because they had a little romp in the hay. You would think that when the spell was broken there would be a hint of some kind so I am guessing it hasn't been broken yet.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

eyégor
???????

#6 Post by eyégor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:25 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
earendel wrote:I must say that the flashbacks are very tightly integrated with the rest of the show, which is a good thing. I agree with Marley that dragging the husband into the picture was unnecessary unless he's going to make a play to win his wife back, setting up a conflict with Amsterdam - or, better yet, he goes crazy and tries to kill Amsterdam, and succeeds because Amsterdam's found his one true love.

Didn't seem to me to be that difficult to figure out that it was going to be an "honor" killing. I pretty much assumed that when they made a point about it being a different knife. As was noted earlier the crimes in this show seem pretty much secondary to the other storylines/flashbacks. It strikes me as odd that they have him bedding down the new girlfriend so quickly. Usually most shows try to play on the sexual tension aspect between characters in some fashion. Maybe that will occur in future episodes as the preview suggested. Also seems likely that the husband will have to play some role in the future given he was deliberately introduced to the storyline and the phone conversation indicating he is still more into the relationship than she obviously is.

My guess is that he will infact do as you suggested and try to kill Amsterdam and that this will result in the proof of his immortality which it seems that he is about to reveal to her in the next episode. Of course now that they have "done the deed", and if she is "the one", than will he still be immortal? Or perhaps it will require her to commit unconditionally to him before the spell is broken. Obviously it didn't seem that there was any indication that anything had changed just because they had a little romp in the hay. You would think that when the spell was broken there would be a hint of some kind so I am guessing it hasn't been broken yet.
My guess, given that things between Amsterdam & the doc are moving so quickly, is that Omar is right when he said "Maybe she isn't 'the one'".

we may not find that out, however, unless the series is picked up.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:34 am

eyégor wrote:My guess, given that things between Amsterdam & the doc are moving so quickly, is that Omar is right when he said "Maybe she isn't 'the one'".
He's obviously had a lot of relationships over the centuries and probably goes into each of them hoping that "this time she's the one". That's got to be a lot of baggage to bring along.

tanstaafl2

#8 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:03 am

eyégor wrote:
My guess, given that things between Amsterdam & the doc are moving so quickly, is that Omar is right when he said "Maybe she isn't 'the one'".

we may not find that out, however, unless the series is picked up.
Which would be particularly irritating if they are just burning this off knowing it won't get picked up. But so far I can't seem to find any indication whether it even has an outside chance of continuing.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:58 am

Maybe "the one" was on the Subway platform, but she was some hideously ugly person so he didn't notice her. Because, of course, "the one" has to be beautiful, rich and intelligent, right?

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:01 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Maybe "the one" was on the Subway platform, but she was some hideously ugly person so he didn't notice her. Because, of course, "the one" has to be beautiful, rich and intelligent, right?
Wouldn't that be an interesting twist? But it won't happen - in TV land everyone is beautiful, handsome and well-to-do.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:48 am

MarleysGh0st wrote: He's obviously had a lot of relationships over the centuries and probably goes into each of them hoping that "this time she's the one". That's got to be a lot of baggage to bring along.
Not to mention a lot of little "ones" that he winds up bringing along too.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:18 pm

My TiVo wasn't working (and still isn't now that I have my own cable system because they have to order more cable cards!) so I missed this. I would have been yelling at the screen anyway.

I think there're just too many pounds of disbelief to suspend.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:00 pm

Fox has lots of its shows on web playback. Yup its there! However, they're advertising "new player" & I thought I already had their new player. Their new new player?

Anyway, this show is well worth the guilty-pleasuredom. I kinda hope it does get renewed.

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:02 pm

Its not a new new player, its the old new player. It just doesn't connect to Firefox. Which is the browser that called it "new". Does connect already to IE.

tanstaafl2

#15 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:My TiVo wasn't working (and still isn't now that I have my own cable system because they have to order more cable cards!) so I missed this. I would have been yelling at the screen anyway.

I think there're just too many pounds of disbelief to suspend.
Other episodes were on Hulu.com when I last checked. This one may be as well.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

#16 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:26 pm

earendel wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Maybe "the one" was on the Subway platform, but she was some hideously ugly person so he didn't notice her. Because, of course, "the one" has to be beautiful, rich and intelligent, right?
Wouldn't that be an interesting twist? But it won't happen - in TV land everyone is beautiful, handsome and well-to-do.
Was there anything in the prophesy that said it had to be a woman? Maybe he has been looking for love in all the wrong places! After all it is New York and it might improve his odds.

Just sayin...
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2