R.I.P Arthur C. Clarke

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

R.I.P Arthur C. Clarke

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:02 pm

At age 90, in Sri Lanka. I'm sure he predicted this too.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ghostjmf

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:15 pm

This is not a good day.

I do not like that he spent most of later-adult life in Sri Lanka because they don't prosecute you for having sex with young men there; that that's why he was there is well known in the SF world. No-one has ever claimed that he harmed anybody or that his partners were in any way involuntary, except of course that life in that part of the world forces many young men to "volunteer" for money who wouldn't if they had other choices. And not that there's anything wrong (Seinfeld trademark here) with having sex with young men if you're young yourself; sure is icky for an old old old man, though.

However, long before I knew about his lifestyle choices I really liked a lot of his books.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:20 pm

I am saddened beyond measure.

He came to OU years and years ago. I had the enormous luck to interview him. He was funny, charming, sweet, and -- yes -- brilliant. One detail that I always remember when I think of him was the briefcase he carried. It was made of aluminum, and it bore a decal of Snoopy (a NASA connection.)

Now he can find out first hand what really is "out there." No doubt he is enjoying the discovery.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:36 pm

ghostjmf wrote:This is not a good day.

I do not like that he spent most of later-adult life in Sri Lanka because they don't prosecute you for having sex with young men there; that that's why he was there is well known in the SF world. No-one has ever claimed that he harmed anybody or that his partners were in any way involuntary, except of course that life in that part of the world forces many young men to "volunteer" for money who wouldn't if they had other choices. And not that there's anything wrong (Seinfeld trademark here) with having sex with young men if you're young yourself; sure is icky for an old old old man, though.

However, long before I knew about his lifestyle choices I really liked a lot of his books.
His obit is here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... db1904.xml
In 1998 his name appeared on the honours list, and it was intended that he should be knighted by the Prince of Wales during his visit to Sri Lanka that year. But shortly before the ceremony, the Sunday Mirror published a piece accusing him of a long-standing predatory interest in young boys.

Clarke disputed the claims, and announced that he would not compromise the Prince's visit by receiving his knighthood until the allegations had been investigated. He was subsequently cleared by the Sri Lankan authorities, the newspaper published an apology and he was knighted in Colombo in May 2000.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:43 pm

I was a big fan from the day I picked up "Tales from the White Hart" and remain so.

"Well, of course it was a death ray! It killed somebody!" That's probably not exact, just wanted to get that in there in a hurry because somebody around here will notice.

I read Islands in the Sky for the first time last year and was dumbfounded. What an awesome book! It was one amazing theory or concept after another. I read Childhood's End maybe a dozen times before I simply put it down and dint pick it back up. I read 2001 once, and as sometimes happens, the movie was better IMHO.

I am confident that he was never predatory. I read a long interview a long while back, and the interviewer mentioned Clarke's partner a couple times and described the relationship in positive terms.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 am

SportsFan68 wrote:I was a big fan from the day I picked up "Tales from the White Hart" and remain so.

"Well, of course it was a death ray! It killed somebody!" That's probably not exact, just wanted to get that in there in a hurry because somebody around here will notice.

I read Islands in the Sky for the first time last year and was dumbfounded. What an awesome book! It was one amazing theory or concept after another. I read Childhood's End maybe a dozen times before I simply put it down and dint pick it back up. I read 2001 once, and as sometimes happens, the movie was better IMHO.

I am confident that he was never predatory. I read a long interview a long while back, and the interviewer mentioned Clarke's partner a couple times and described the relationship in positive terms.
Tales from the White Hart and Childhood's End were two of my favorites by him. I read all three of the "2001" books (2001, 2010 and 2065), but wasn't particularly impressed with them. Of course "2001" was based on a short story (The Guardian? The Sentinel?), which is probably why the book was not as good (Asimov had the same problem turning his brilliant short stories and novellas into full-blown novels). I also tried to get into the Rama series but didn't find the appeal there, either. I remember him from the Apollo days, when he and Walter Cronkite would discuss the moon landings.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

andrewjackson

#7 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:57 am

earendel wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:I was a big fan from the day I picked up "Tales from the White Hart" and remain so.

Tales from the White Hart and Childhood's End were two of my favorites by him. I read all three of the "2001" books (2001, 2010 and 2065), but wasn't particularly impressed with them. Of course "2001" was based on a short story (The Guardian? The Sentinel?), which is probably why the book was not as good (Asimov had the same problem turning his brilliant short stories and novellas into full-blown novels). I also tried to get into the Rama series but didn't find the appeal there, either. I remember him from the Apollo days, when he and Walter Cronkite would discuss the moon landings.
The Sentinel.

He will be missed.
No matter where you go, there you are.

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:21 am

"One by one, without any fuss, the stars were going out."

IMO the best last sentence of a story ever. However, my nominee for his best short story is "The Star".

Are there any of these grand old men of science fiction left now? Asimov, Heinlein, Sturgeon, Clarke, Ed Hamilton, ... who else? Is Damon Knight still among the living?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:46 am

gsabc wrote:"One by one, without any fuss, the stars were going out."

IMO the best last sentence of a story ever. However, my nominee for his best short story is "The Star".

Are there any of these grand old men of science fiction left now? Asimov, Heinlein, Sturgeon, Clarke, Ed Hamilton, ... who else? Is Damon Knight still among the living?
Asimov - dead
Heinlein - dead
Sturgeon - dead
Knight - dead

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:49 am

earendel wrote:
gsabc wrote:"One by one, without any fuss, the stars were going out."

Asimov - dead
Heinlein - dead
Sturgeon - dead
Knight - dead
Dick - dead :(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

andrewjackson

#11 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:08 am

I'm not sure if these guys are at that level but they were Golden Age guys and I read all their stuff.

Frederick Pohl is still around. He is 88 years old.

Philip José Farmer is still alive. He just turned 90. Hoosier, BTW.
No matter where you go, there you are.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:13 am

andrewjackson wrote:I'm not sure if these guys are at that level but they were Golden Age guys and I read all their stuff.

Farmer is 90 years old??!!! I had no idea.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:20 am

In the "What are you reading" thread I had posted that I had just picked up the first book in a new series (Time's Eye) that is credited as a collaboration by Clarke and Stephen Baxter. Baxter is the best of the current "hard" science fiction writers out there, IMO. Tim Zahn might be an exception, but he spends so much time writing other stuff (Star Wars novels for example) that I can't really put him in the same arena.

It's kind of an expansion of the 2001 novels. I know, I know, but it's actually pretty readable. It's almost like Clarke knew the end was coming and wanted to let other people tell some of the stories of that universe, while still retaining some creative input.

It's funny that you mention Farmer in this thread. Because the first book, which I am almost through with, reminds me so much of Riverworld. I'm nearly done, and the scene I just finished is a massive battle between troops led by Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan. No, really.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tanstaafl2

#14 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:25 am

andrewjackson wrote:I'm not sure if these guys are at that level but they were Golden Age guys and I read all their stuff.

I would certainly count Pohl amongst the best of the older Sci Fi Golden Age, if perhaps a step below some of these. He was perhaps best known as an editor during the Golden Age.

Along with Farmer and Pohl, Bradbury and L. Sprague de Camp were also from that period and are still around.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#15 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:27 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:

I would certainly count Pohl amongst the best of the older Sci Fi Golden Age, if perhaps a step below some of these. He was perhaps best known as an editor during the Golden Age.

Along with Farmer and Pohl, Bradbury and L. Sprague de Camp were also from that period and are still around.
My mistake. Sprague de Camp died some years ago.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

#16 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:29 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:

My mistake. Sprague de Camp died some years ago.
And not that I would neccesarily define Bradbury in quite the same category although he is sometimes referred to as a science fiction writer and wrote during that period.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:45 am

By an appropriate coincidence, Clarke was the answer to a J! question, yesterday.