Are the questions really randomized

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BassPlayingSugarplum

Are the questions really randomized

#1 Post by BassPlayingSugarplum » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:12 pm

I noticed when I was doing my ATA analysis that the questions actually seemed to be weighted toward the easier ones upfront, and not randomized liked Cedric (or Meredith) said.

So I checked. I looked at the 59 most recent shows where an unrandomized topic tree was shown (for a total of 463 questions).

Average difficulty level by question #:

1. 3.05
2. 3.92
3. 5.44
4. 5.67
5. 6.34
6. 5.15
7. 6.19
8. 6.97
9. 6.37
10. 6.73

Anyone know whether this is just not enough questions for a random distribution or conscious editing by the producers?

Or are the questions not really random? And no, I haven't checked dollar values yet to see if they follow an unexpected random distribution. This stuff takes time.

My blog on the topic, if you're interested, is at http://jackiefoxdotnet.wordpress.com/20 ... questions/.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Are the questions really randomized

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:05 pm

BassPlayingSugarplum wrote:Anyone know whether this is just not enough questions for a random distribution or conscious editing by the producers?

Or are the questions not really random? And no, I haven't checked dollar values yet to see if they follow an unexpected random distribution. This stuff takes time.
I don't know enough about statistics to tell if this is a large enough sample to be significant. I'm sure other BBs can weigh in here.

However, the Bored has discovered flaws in the game before. A few years ago, one of our BBs noticed that the correct answer letter would never be the same in sequential questions (i.e. if the last right answer was C, the next one wouldn't be). That information was enough to sometimes turn a 50/50 into a sure thing. He brought that to TPTB's attention, after which the correct answer did start repeating.

So, when they say that a part of the game is random, they don't really have any outside expert verifying that whatever algorithms they use actually produce what they promise.

Welcome to the Bored! Please keep crunching those numbers. We love reading about this stuff here. (Or at least we used to.)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Welcome aBored! I think we met briefly in Las Vegas. You're from Los Angeles, right?

I don't know off hand, but I think the numbers you've come up with are at least close to statistical significance. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BassPlayingSugarplum

#4 Post by BassPlayingSugarplum » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Yes, I auditioned in Vegas, in the voluminous orange/red shirt and jeans. Dan's friend.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Based on observation alone, it seems to me that 2 of the top 3 unrandomized questions rarely leave the top 4 after "randomization."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Estonut wrote:Based on observation alone, it seems to me that 2 of the top 3 unrandomized questions rarely leave the top 4 after "randomization."
That's been my impression as well and BPSP's stats tend to prove it.

I wonder if saying they're randomizing the questions but not actually doing so is a violation of the consent agreement after the quiz show scandals?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:51 pm

BassPlayingSugarplum wrote:Yes, I auditioned in Vegas, in the voluminous orange/red shirt and jeans. Dan's friend.
I remembered that you were Dan's friend, but a bunch of Dan's friends auditioned in Las Vegas so I wanted to be sure I had the right one. I think I said hello to you while we were waiting in line. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:29 pm

BassPlayingSugarplum wrote:Yes, I auditioned in Vegas, in the voluminous orange/red shirt and jeans. Dan's friend.

Who the heck is this "Dan" character?...but he does look a lot like uly...
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:36 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:Who the heck is this "Dan" character?...but he does look a lot like uly...
Sounds like a troublemaker...

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:Who the heck is this "Dan" character?...but he does look a lot like uly...
I'd bet he's a bug-eater...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:31 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:

Who the heck is this "Dan" character?...but he does look a lot like uly...
Found it!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

goongas

#12 Post by goongas » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:19 pm

59 games is not statistically significant to draw any conclusions IMO.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#13 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:15 pm

Estonut wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

You're tempting me...

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#14 Post by kayrharris » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:42 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Sounds like a troublemaker...

You're tempting me...

Don't do it! Please..

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#15 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 pm

kayrharris wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Estonut wrote:I'd bet he's a bug-eater...

You're tempting me...

Don't do it! Please..

kay
YUMMMMMMM!!!!!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#16 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:37 pm

BassPlayingSugarplum wrote:I noticed when I was doing my ATA analysis that the questions actually seemed to be weighted toward the easier ones upfront, and not randomized liked Cedric (or Meredith) said.

So I checked. I looked at the 59 most recent shows where an unrandomized topic tree was shown (for a total of 463 questions).

1. 3.05
2. 3.92
3. 5.44
4. 5.67
5. 6.34
6. 5.15
7. 6.19
8. 6.97
9. 6.37
10. 6.73

Anyone know whether this is just not enough questions for a random distribution or conscious editing by the producers?

My blog on the topic, if you're interested, is at http://jackiefoxdotnet.wordpress.com/20 ... questions/.
I think that nerdy fox should be wearing a Star Trek uniform instead of the little sign...just sayin'

smilergrogan

#17 Post by smilergrogan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:45 am

BassPlayingSugarplum wrote:I noticed when I was doing my ATA analysis that the questions actually seemed to be weighted toward the easier ones upfront, and not randomized liked Cedric (or Meredith) said.

1. 3.05
2. 3.92
3. 5.44
4. 5.67
5. 6.34
6. 5.15
7. 6.19
8. 6.97
9. 6.37
10. 6.73

It's almost certainly not random, to greater than 95% confidence level. The correlation coefficient (Pearson's r) for your 10 averaged data points above is 0.85, and for a 10 data point set, that has a less than 5% chance of happening if the data is actually uncorrelated. See the following chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Corre ... icance.svg
For the full 463 point data set, I'm guessing it would be similar if not higher (for the confidence level that the data is not random), but it would depend on the range of difficulty values for each question #.

Here's a link you might be interested in from last year regarding whether the $ values are random (based on $ values of jumped questions), and within that thread is a re-posted (much older) look I did at whether the 50/50 was random (and a weird glitch in the 50/50 answers that nobody seemed to discover until the syndicated show removed it after the first two years):
http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42534

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:04 am

Also, TPTB have stated repeatedly that the unrandomized topic tree, shown briefly to some contestants, is not meant to be in order of difficulty. A few counterexamples, where very easy questions appeared high in the unrandomized topic tree, were noted in last season's transcripts.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
kayrharris wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

You're tempting me...

Don't do it! Please..

kay
YUMMMMMMM!!!!!

Still the best ulytar ever....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

geoffil

#20 Post by geoffil » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:31 am

I agree. There seems to be a pattern to the randomness. Just like the 50/50. The most unlikely answer was always eliminated IMHO. I think they work within the lawyers definition of random.

Just like the order of how the contestants would play during taping. I found out after my taping that Geoffil husband knew I was not going to tape on the first day because the companions were sitting in order of when the loved one would tape. He was second to last. I was never told that. I sat on deck backstage the entire afternoon and never taped. I kept drinking water, checking hair and makeup and going to the bathroom for nuthin'.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#21 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:52 am

ulysses5019 wrote:

1. 3.05
2. 3.92
3. 5.44
4. 5.67
5. 6.34
6. 5.15
7. 6.19
8. 6.97
9. 6.37
10. 6.73

I think that nerdy fox should be wearing a Star Trek uniform instead of the little sign...just sayin'

Like this?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

jarnon

#22 Post by jarnon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:I think that nerdy fox should be wearing a Star Trek uniform instead of the little sign...just sayin'

Like this?

lb13
Found it, Jim.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#23 Post by jarnon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 am

geoffil wrote:I agree. There seems to be a pattern to the randomness. Just like the 50/50. The most unlikely answer was always eliminated IMHO.
In the early days of primetime Millionaire, it was obviously not random. It got more random in later seasons.
geoffil wrote:I think they work within the lawyers definition of random.
At the end of my audition interview last month, Samantha told me: "The selection process from this point on is totally random." I knew she wasn't using the mathematical definition of random. She meant that it was arbitrary or subjective, unlike the multiple-choice test.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#24 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
kayrharris wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

You're tempting me...

Don't do it! Please..

kay
YUMMMMMMM!!!!!
Found it!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:17 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
kayrharris wrote:

Don't do it! Please..

kay
YUMMMMMMM!!!!!
Found it!

Ahem.... I thought someone was a fan of Star Trek....

lb13