Meet Jackson, my "winning" baby kiwi bird!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
JBillyGirl

Meet Jackson, my "winning" baby kiwi bird!

#1 Post by JBillyGirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:30 pm

As I announced in another thread, I won a contest sponsored by a travel agency in which I submitted a name for a newborn kiwi bird. The name I chose was "Jackson," in honor of the New Zealand director Peter Jackson. Today I just got my first picture of Jackson, and you'll see it as my new avatar at left. (I wanted to embed the image in the message instead, but it's not on the Web so I couldn't figure out how to make it work.) I hope you'll agree he's a cutie. :D

I suppose this makes me his honorary godmother. In the spirit of the Bored, I would like to offer honorary co-godparenthood to andrewjackson and to Bixby's son Jackson as well.

Here's some other info I got today with the pic:

“Kia ora! My name is Jackson, and I’m named after Peter Jackson – the famous ……………. [I guess they forgot to fill this part out!] The snapshot of me is when I was just five days old! Thank you so much for sponsoring me! You’ve really increased my chances of survival and I can’t wait to get back out into the New Zealand bush! Here’s a bit about me so far…”

My History as an Egg
My Dad’s name is Rata and we are originally from the Ohope region. My egg arrived at Kiwi Encounter on the 21/09/07 and weighed 354 g. On arrival my egg was in perfect condition, was warm and clean. The incubation period of a kiwi egg is 78-80 days. My egg was aged at 52 days old when I arrived at Kiwi Encounter and I was incubated for a further 26 days before I hatched.

My History as a Chick
I hatched on the 13/10/07 with no problems and I weighed 288 g. I stayed in an incubator for two days before I was moved to a brooder. I think I am a pretty good chick to raise as I’m learning to eat the food relatively quickly. I was in perfect condition at my five day health check. I have been pretty quiet in my brooder so far but I am walking well. I’m beginning to reveal my personality too - I am usually a pretty placid chick, and enjoy snuggling up with my flatmate ‘Reef’.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 pm

Way cool! He looks a little like a baby duck!

Hope he makes it.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:09 pm

JBG --

How adorable!

And congrats on the trip!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:13 pm

Well, have you officially registered Jackson as member of this Bored?
We do allow animals you know. :)

He's a cutie for sure. A welcome to Jackson from the deep south, which would be an official "hey".

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:04 am

kayrharris wrote:Well, have you officially registered Jackson as member of this Bored?
We do allow animals you know. :)
And he can write so well at only nine days old! 8)

earendel

Re: Meet Jackson, my "winning" baby kiwi bird!

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:05 am

JBillyGirl wrote:As I announced in another thread, I won a contest sponsored by a travel agency in which I submitted a name for a newborn kiwi bird. The name I chose was "Jackson," in honor of the New Zealand director Peter Jackson. Today I just got my first picture of Jackson, and you'll see it as my new avatar at left. (I wanted to embed the image in the message instead, but it's not on the Web so I couldn't figure out how to make it work.) I hope you'll agree he's a cutie. :D
Yes, indeed he is a cutie. And again, congratulations.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:10 am

I love this story!

Congrats again.

May Jackson have a great bird life!

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#8 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:45 am

Forget New Zealand--I want to win a baby kiwi bird! He's so adorable!!

All I have is one pony and two dogs and four cats and six bunny rabbits and two canaries and two parakeets and a green parrot and a silly little hamster. I want a SQUIRREL! -Veruca Salt

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:13 am

Congrats, JBG! Have a great trip!

As it happens, Jackson's namesake is in our area now, filming a movie in Malvern. Here's the Inquirer article:
Rings director rolls into suburbs
Last edited by jarnon on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoffil

#10 Post by geoffil » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:17 am

The kiwi is so cute. Have you decided when you are taking the trip? Will you get a photo op with your kiwi when you are in New Zealand?

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:23 am

minimetoo26 wrote: All I have is one pony and two dogs and four cats and six bunny rabbits and two canaries and two parakeets and a green parrot and a silly little hamster. I want a SQUIRREL! -Veruca Salt
The evil squirrels sure taught her, didn't they? :twisted:

andrewjackson

Re: Meet Jackson, my "winning" baby kiwi bird!

#12 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:23 am

JBillyGirl wrote:
I suppose this makes me his honorary godmother. In the spirit of the Bored, I would like to offer honorary co-godparenthood to andrewjackson and to Bixby's son Jackson as well.
I accept.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#13 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 am

Congrats JBG. This is so cool. And Jackson is sooo sweet. Is there a Dr. Spock for kiwis?
Well, then

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#14 Post by AnnieCamaro » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:41 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote: All I have is one pony and two dogs and four cats and six bunny rabbits and two canaries and two parakeets and a green parrot and a silly little hamster. I want a SQUIRREL! -Veruca Salt
The evil squirrels sure taught her, didn't they? :twisted:
I've told you and told you about those evil squirrels!
Sou iu koto de.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:25 pm

Cool. Very cool.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

JBillyGirl

#16 Post by JBillyGirl » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Paging AJ: Would you like a copy of the full update on Jackson they sent me? If so, give me an e-mail address I can send it to in honor of your honorary co-godparenthood. (Bixby, are you out there? I've also offered honorary co-godparenthood to your own little Jackson. Or you can take it up yourself. Or both of yinz.)

Jarnon, thanks for the link about Peter Jackson's current whereabouts. I am actually planning to tell him about Jackson and offer him co-godparenthood as well. I'm not sure how I would reach him -- maybe through DreamWorks? Anyway, I'd like to give it a try, because I think he might get a kick out of having a kiwi, literally, with his name on it. If he were in the Rotorua area before January, he might even get to see his little namesake himself if the mood struck him. (It's possible I'll see the bird myself, but I'm not counting on it, as we're currently planning on going in February and the bird may be grown and released into the wild before I get there.)

It hadn't occurred to me to register Jackson as a member of the Bored. I might do that, but I think I'd have to give him back my avatar, and I'm not quite ready to do that yet. :D

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:36 pm

JBillyGirl wrote:Paging AJ: Would you like a copy of the full update on Jackson they sent me? If so, give me an e-mail address I can send it to in honor of your honorary co-godparenthood. (Bixby, are you out there? I've also offered honorary co-godparenthood to your own little Jackson. Or you can take it up yourself. Or both of yinz.)

Jarnon, thanks for the link about Peter Jackson's current whereabouts. I am actually planning to tell him about Jackson and offer him co-godparenthood as well. I'm not sure how I would reach him -- maybe through DreamWorks? Anyway, I'd like to give it a try, because I think he might get a kick out of having a kiwi, literally, with his name on it. If he were in the Rotorua area before January, he might even get to see his little namesake himself if the mood struck him. (It's possible I'll see the bird myself, but I'm not counting on it, as we're currently planning on going in February and the bird may be grown and released into the wild before I get there.)

It hadn't occurred to me to register Jackson as a member of the Bored. I might do that, but I think I'd have to give him back my avatar, and I'm not quite ready to do that yet. :D
You can get email to him at reception@wingnutfilms.co.nz

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#18 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Jackson is really cute!