Answer the door - it's a movie quiz

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

Answer the door - it's a movie quiz

#1 Post by frogman042 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:44 am

Solve all the actors in groups A, B, C and D. For any question that consists of just a quote, then I am looking for the actor that said that line. Pair up the actors in groups A & B to form a set of 12 matches (some actors will be used in more than 1 pairing). Pair up the actors in group C and D to form a set of 31 matches (one actor in group C will be used twice). Then take each the pairings of Group C&D and assign it to one of the pairings from groups A&B - you will end up with a total of 31 sets of double pairings (A&B and C&D) where a number of A&B parings will be used multiple times, but C&D parings will only be used once. How all the various pairings will be formed will be based on the Tangredi that you have to figure out.

Oh and don't be surprised if one actor shows up as the answer to more than 1 clue.

Have fun!

A1: "And it is my belief that they will any moment reject this... this 'mood', which is being stirred up by the press, in favor of a period of restrained grief, and sober, private mourning. That's the way we do things in this country, quietly, with dignity. That's what the rest of the world has always admired us for."
A2: The 3 films that made up this epic trilogy where nominated for a total of 29 Academy Awards, only one of those nominations was an acting nomination, and this actor was the one to receive that singular nomination.
A3: “Thank you for a memorable afternoon, usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature.”
A4: He was originally cast to play a part in a classic Horror/Sci-Fi film, but had to drop out on the first day of filming because he fell ill with bronchitis, forcing him to spend three days in intensive care. Oddly enough the character he would have played would end up having much more serious issue, not in the lungs but in a body part slightly below that area of his torso.
A5: "Here, the men's only choice is between German bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to *follow*. What we need..."
A6: This actor took on many classic roles that were previously portrayed by another famous actor of stage and screen. 2 years ago he got to play that actor in a movie based on the difficulties involved in making a movie with an equally famous co-star.
A7: "Look, you obviously don't know anything about intelligence work, lady. It's an X-K-Red-27 technique."
A8: Not only was he the first Lithuanian actor to be nominated for an Oscar, but he also lied about his age at 14 in order to join the South African Navy.
A9:"You know, I never feel comfortable on these sort of things. Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays."
A10: The twelfth of thirteen children, this actor insisted that his way out of an impoverished Welsh childhood was due not to acting, but to books; he read one a day.

B1: She was nominated for 6 consecutive Golden Globe Awards from 1989-1994 and appeared on the list of "People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in the World" a record 6 times.
B2: “This is fate we're talking about, and if fate works at all, it works because people think that THIS TIME, it isn't going to happen!”
B3: I wonder if this actor used his real life experiences going to school with Prince Charles later in life when he played Prince Hal.
B4: “It must be tremendously interesting to be a schoolmaster, to watch boys grow up and help them along; to see their characters develop and what they become when they leave school and the world gets hold of them. I don't see how you could ever get old in a world that's always young.”
B5: In a classic film, we never see this actress, but we do hear her voice a number of times, although by the end of the movie we are lead to believe it was a man's voice all along. Interestingly, a character in that movie portrayed by her real life husband was perplexed that anyone heard her voice at all since he believed that she had been dead for quite some time.
B6: "Yes, but, sir, you saw the expression on their faces. They didn't hide their disgust. They don't care anything about John! They only want to impress their friends!"
and
"I bathed him, I fed him, and I cleaned up after him, didn't I? And I see that my nurses do the same. And if loving kindness can be called care and practical concern, then I did show him loving kindness, and I am not ashamed to admit it!"
B7: This actress was the subject of an urban legend claiming that she had been the model for the Columbia Pictures logo. This rumor was untrue but so widespread that she told Roger Ebert that she believed it to be true.
B8: “Mm-hm. And every night, they would wander the skies together. But, one of the other spirits was jealous. Trickster wanted the Moon for himself. So he told Kuekuatsu that the Moon had asked for flowers; he told him to come to our world and pick her some wild roses. But Kuekuatsu didn't know that once you leave the spirit world, you can never go back. And every night, he looks up in the sky and sees the Moon and howls her name. But... he can never touch her again.”
B9: In 1976 she won the title of "Most Memorable Eyebrows" in a magazine poll. The first runner up was a former costar, Lassie.
B10: “Angraecum sesquipedale! A beauty! God! Darwin wrote about this one. Charles Darwin? Evolution guy? Hello? You see that nectary all the way down there? Darwin hypothesized a moth with a nose twelve inches long to pollinate it. Everyone thought he was a loon! Then, sure enough, they found this moth with a twelve-inch proboscis. Proboscis means 'nose,' by the way.”
B11: He is cited twice in the Guinness Book of World Records for creating the most character voices in an audiobook (more than 200) and for voicing the first six "Top Ten" selling audiobooks of all time. He also has won a record nine "Audie" awards.

C1: “A-ah. Intelligence reports that the Air Corps knocking'em out by day and the Germans rebuilding'em by night. Now all we have to do is get there tomorrow morning at dawn, and we got ourselves a bridge.”
C2: When "Blame Canada" was nominated for a Best Song Academy Award, it was this actor who performed the song at the ceremony because the actress who sang the song in the film, Mary Kay Bergman, had committed suicide a few months prior to the awards show.
C3: I'm looking for the actor who played P1:
P1: "What are they supposed to be doing?"
Maitre d': "I wouldn't know, sir; they call it dancing."
P1: "I must tell St. Vitus about this."
C4: This actor portrayed a historical figure who was a leading French Post-Impressionist artist. A number of years later, this actor's son played the very same artist.
C5: “Prepare for what promises to be a day of astounding musical, theatrical, and dancing talent. And after I'm finished you can see the ladies!”
C6: Stan Lee used this actors physical likeness (Noticeably his bald head and intense stare) as the inspiration for the appearance of Professor Charles Xavier in the ''X-Men'' comics.
C7: “As you know, l'm quite keen on comic books. Especially the ones about superheroes. I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating. Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology... The mythology is not only great, it's unique.”
C8: At the age of 13, this German-born actor became a member of the "Hitler Jugend" (Hitler Youth), as did all 13-year-old boys in Germany then. He was drafted into the German army in 1944 at age 16 and posted to an infantry regiment. Years later, he related how he "hated that [Nazi] uniform." When filming a movie in which he portrayed a Nazi general, he wore a top-coat over his S.S. uniform between takes so as "not to remind myself of my childhood in Germany during W.W.II."
C9: “Well, if that judge had looked any closer, he'd have seen that it was a copy of Moby Dick.”
C10: This actor was a favorite of George Bernard Shaw, having made notable appearances in a number of the playwright's works. Shaw initially referred to this actor as his fifth favorite actor, the other four being the Marx Brothers.
C11: “I am the only daddy you got! I'm the damn paterfamilias!”
C12: 1/7 & 1/12.
C13: “Can I confess something? I tell you this as an artist, I think you'll understand. Sometimes when I'm driving... on the road at night... I see two headlights coming toward me. Fast. I have this sudden impulse to turn the wheel quickly, head-on into the oncoming car. I can anticipate the explosion. The sound of shattering glass. The... flames rising out of the flowing gasoline.”
C14: This actor was the first person to direct himself to a Best Actor win.
C15: “I felt that I wasn't reaching all the boys and girls out there in television land. Actually, it was not so much I wasn't reaching the boys and girls, but the boys and girls were starting to reach me. Six months ago a perfectly adult bartender asked me if I'd like an onion in my martini, and I said, 'Gosh and gollies, you betcha!' Well, I knew it was time to quit.”
C16: I wonder if he might have tried to turn Eroica into Erotica, but he probably would have sucked at it and when caught he probably would claim he was just a patsy.
C17: “I don't want any pills. I want some of the good things of life... money. Why should you be able to spend less on yourself than some women do on their rotten poodles? Why shouldn't you have a hairdresser and a ladies maid?”
C18: In one movie he gets a fake tan to hide the fact that he never went to Florida, in real life he maintained a year-round suntan to avoid wearing make up.
C19: “Mmm. The San Quentin Country Club. With a cute little rear end like that, you'll be the belle of the ball. Your dance card'll be filled every day. You'll be so popular, making all kinds of new, close friends. Big, ugly, hairy friends! Not that you'll ever see what they look like, 'cause you'll be facing the other way.”
C20: This actress played a beloved fictional amateur detective in a number of films, but in real life her father murdered her grandfather and her mother committed suicide.
C21: “I can't still be working here when I go to court. 'Oh yes your honor; I found a new job... I'm working at the Eager Beaver!'”
C22: Her first daughter was born mentally retarded because this actress had contracted rubella (aka German measles) during her only appearance at the Hollywood Canteen. This served as the uncredited inspiration for the plot of the 1962 Agatha Christie novel and later movie The Mirror Crack'd. As an aside, the novel was dedicated to another answer in this quiz.
C23: “I know there's no other woman... no flesh-and-blood woman. But I can't fight this Lady Luck of yours, this fancy queen in her green felt dress.”
C24: He was the only cast member of A Bridge Too Far to have actually served at the actual battles depicted in the film. Also an enemy of his in that film is an answer to another clue in this game.
C25: “Probably you've been playing Southeastern Tegwar all your life, but in the Majors the boys all play Western Canadian style. Which, for my money, is much faster.”
C26: This brat-packer wrote the book: "Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family and Finding the Perfect Lipstick".
C27: “All my knowledge came from books, and I'd just finished a novel about a glamorous French actress from the Comedie Francaise. That's the theater in France. When she wanted to arouse a man's interest, she treated him like a dog.”
C28: While filming a classic Vincent Price remake, this actor introduced Geoffrey Rush to both Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott and he didn't have to go to an A.A. meeting to do that.
C29: “Well, maybe you should. You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear.”
C30: This silent film star is the only person to have the three top silent film comedians, Charles Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd appear in supporting roles in his films.

D1: I never knew that when Paul Newman was young, that he would have angst about selling out his youthful ideals by becoming a Tom Selleck wannabee.
D2: “This is a very weird situation. 'Cause I don't know if you remember back in '86 there was a major fucking drought. Nobody had anything. People were living on resin... -smoking the wood in their pipes for months. This chick had a bunch. And she's begging me to sell it. So I told her I wasn't going to be Joe the potman anymore, but I would take a little bit and sell it to my close, close, close friends. She agreed to that, said we'd keep the same arrangement as before; 10%, free pot for me, as long as I helped her out that weekend. She had a brick of weed she was selling, she didn't want to go to the buy alone. Her brother usually goes with her, but he's in county unexpectedly.”
D3: A lunatic religious fanatic, who claimed to have been ordered by higher powers, attacked and attempted to murder this actress shortly after the release of a major boxing movie that she was in. After a long, hard recovery, this actress has devoted her life to helping other women who have had similar traumatic experiences. 5 years later she guest starred on a 1987 episode of NBC's police drama "Hunter", playing the part of an attack victim. The episode's storyline was loosely based on the events surrounding her near fatal real-life attack.
D4: “Well, good night, Michael. It was a wonderful party. My date left with someone else. I had a lot of fun. Do you have any Seconol?”
D5: If you are looking for a hooker who is not afraid of morgues and can serve you a beer as well – this is the person to call.
D6: “I'm reviewing the situation / Can a fellow be a villain all his life? / All the trials and tribulations. / Better settle down and get myself a wife! / And a wife would cook and sew for me, / And come for me, and go for me, / And go for me, and nag at me, / The fingers, she would wag at me. / The money she would take from me. / A misery, she'll make from me... I think I'd better think it out again!”
D7: I stand condemned at the citadel for making a dangerous comment to the frightened lady.
D8: “Once, off the hump of Brazil I saw the ocean so darkened with blood it was black and the sun fainting away over the lip of the sky.We'd put in at Fortaleza, and a few of us had lines out for a bit of idle fishing. It was me had the first strike. A shark it was. Then there was another, and another shark again, 'till all about, the sea was made of sharks and more sharks still, and no water at all. My shark had torn himself from the hook, and the scent, or maybe the stain it was, and him bleeding his life away drove the rest of them mad. Then the beasts to to eating each other.In their frenzy, they ate at themselves.You could feel the lust of murder like a wind stinging your eyes, and you could smell the death, reeking up out of the sea. I never saw anything worse... until this little picnic tonight.And you know, there wasn't one of them sharks in the whole crazy pack that survived.”
D9: It's sad that this actress' younger brother committed suicide with the other members of the notorious Heaven's Gate cult, you would think that he would have just contacted her and asked for her help in beaming them up.
D10: “I have no wish to fill my few remaining years grieving for the loss of old friends. Or their sons.”
D11: Her real life husband and father of 4 of her children wrote a compelling drama based on Adolf Eichmann. After her sad death at the age of 42, I wonder if her husband took that old adage to heart by looking for other fish in the sea.
D12: (After being referred to as a hostile witness) "You think I'm hostile now, wait 'til you see me tonight."
D13: Take a million pound bank note and hand it over to an immigrant from Mexico, on an impulse toss that legal tender to a dangerous woman with ambition, go due south and you should find the actress I'm looking for.
D14: “There's no dividing line, no insurmountable wall. I know it can't be described. It's a world of liberated feelings. Do you know what I mean? To me, man is a tremendous creation, an inconceivable thought. In man is everything, from the highest to lowest. Everything exists side by side. Realities, not only the reality we perceive with our dull senses, but a tumult of realities arching above each other inside and outside. It's just fear and priggishness to believe in limits. There are no limits, neither to thoughts nor feelings. It's anxiety that sets limits.”
D15: What can you say about an actress who amassed 124 screen credits by the year 1918? Did she realize that her last credit would be always a day away?
D16: “We came here from a dying world. We drift through the universe, from planet to planet, pushed on by the solar winds. We adapt and we survive. The function of life is survival.”
D17: This actor went to the zoo to smash the kitty, but instead found that the girl in the watermelon was biohazardous so from that moment on – the actor was known as Citizen Toxie.
D18: “Pshh. Science, huh? Well, you tell Mr. Goodman there's a lot of work to be done around here, so he'd better not count on you spending your days with half-life. Tell him if he wants to find out about half-life, he can come and ask me; I'm the original half-life. I've got one daughter with half a mind, the other who's half a test tube, a house half-full of rabbit crap and half a corpse. That's a half-life, all right.”
D19: It's not every actress who has a daughter that became the Dowager Duchess of Bedford or a grandson who became the 15th Duke of Bedford, even though he was born in Boston, Massachusetts.
D20: "Miss Em told me to always be myself, not to pretend. You told me that after I marry you, there won't be a Pinky Johnson anymore. How can I be myself if there's no Pinky Johnson anymore?"
D21: If you saw Elmer Gantry, Guys and Dolls, The Snake Pit or The Heiress in Germany, chances are you actually heard this actress' voice.
D22: “I got to thinking up at the cabin, about the baby. How I'd feel if someone came creeping in and carried her off. I'd string him up the nearest tree. I'd shoot him down as I would a thieving fox.”
D23: You wouldn't expect that someone who spends his time coming up with various ways to commit murder would ever get a set of wings.
D24: “I've never met anyone like you. There's not a spark of sentiment or romance or human kindness in your whole body.”
D25: When asked "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)", I guess after getting tired of seeing dead people, he really did!
D26: (stumbling into men's room with a martini) “Yoo-hoo! Sailor boy! How would you like to fuck Lula's momma?”
D27: Lucille Ball said she finally decided to go ahead with "I Love Lucy" when this actress, who had been a close friend and died tragically 9 years earlier, came to her in a dream and recommended she take a chance on the risky idea of entering television.
D28: “I'm gonna keep the coke and the fries but I'm gonna send this burger back. And if you put any mayonnaise on it, I'm gonna come over to your house, I'll chop your legs off, set fire to your house, and watch as you drag your bloody stumps out the door.”
D29: If you suffer from the addiction you might want to follow it up with the cure. If that doesn't work it might be the funeral.
D30: “Maybe life's a jolly 4th of July picnic for you, brother, but it certainly isn't for me. You cancelled out my meal ticket, its the middle of the night, there's no trains or buses until morning, and I got exactly 2 dimes and 45 miles between me and New York. Well what are you going to do about it?”
D31: In one movie he has to deal with a lifeless figure that comes alive and in a subsequent film he has to deal with a lifeless figure that he has to convince others that it is alive.
Last edited by frogman042 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

franktangredi

Re: Answer the door - it's a movie quiz

#2 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:27 am

Quick first pass.

A2: The 3 films that made up this epic trilogy where nominated for a total of 29 Academy Awards, only one of those nominations was an acting nomination, and this actor was the one to receive that singular nomination.
IAN McKELLAN

A3: “Thank you for a memorable afternoon, usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature.”
JOHN GIELGUD

A6: This actor took on many classic roles that were previously portrayed by another famous actor of stage and screen. 2 years ago he got to play that actor in a movie based on the difficulties involved in making a movie with an equally famous co-star.
KENNETH BRANAGH

A8: Not only was he the first Lithuanian actor to be nominated for an Oscar, but he also lied about his age at 14 in order to join the South African Navy.
LAURENCE HARVEY

A9:"You know, I never feel comfortable on these sort of things. Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays."
ORSON WELLES

A10: The twelfth of thirteen children, this actor insisted that his way out of an impoverished Welsh childhood was due not to acting, but to books; he read one a day.
RICHARD BURTON?

B1: She was nominated for 6 consecutive Golden Globe Awards from 1989-1994 and appeared on the list of "People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in the World" a record 6 times.
MICHELLE PFEIFFER?

B4: “It must be tremendously interesting to be a schoolmaster, to watch boys grow up and help them along; to see their characters develop and what they become when they leave school and the world gets hold of them. I don't see how you could ever get old in a world that's always young.”
GREER GARSON

B5: In a classic film, we never see this actress, but we do hear her voice a number of times, although by the end of the movie we are lead to believe it was a man's voice all along. Interestingly, a character in that movie portrayed by her real life husband was perplexed that anyone heard her voice at all since he believed that she had been dead for quite some time.
JEANNETTE NOLAN

B6: "Yes, but, sir, you saw the expression on their faces. They didn't hide their disgust. They don't care anything about John! They only want to impress their friends!"
and
"I bathed him, I fed him, and I cleaned up after him, didn't I? And I see that my nurses do the same. And if loving kindness can be called care and practical concern, then I did show him loving kindness, and I am not ashamed to admit it!"
WENDY HILLER

B9: In 1976 she won the title of "Most Memorable Eyebrows" in a magazine poll. The first runner up was a former costar, Lassie.
ELIZABETH TAYLOR

C2: When "Blame Canada" was nominated for a Best Song Academy Award, it was this actor who performed the song at the ceremony because the actress who sang the song in the film, Mary Kay Bergman, had committed suicide a few months prior to the awards show.
ROBIN WILLIAMS

C8: At the age of 13, this German-born actor became a member of the "Hitler Jugend" (Hitler Youth), as did all 13-year-old boys in Germany then. He was drafted into the German army in 1944 at age 16 and posted to an infantry regiment. Years later, he related how he "hated that [Nazi] uniform." When filming a movie in which he portrayed a Nazi general, he wore a top-coat over his S.S. uniform between takes so as "not to remind myself of my childhood in Germany during W.W.II."
HARDY KRUGER?

C10: This actor was a favorite of George Bernard Shaw, having made notable appearances in a number of the playwright's works. Shaw initially referred to this actor as his fifth favorite actor, the other four being the Marx Brothers.
REX HARRISON? WENDY HILLER?

GEORGE CLOONEY

C13: “Can I confess something? I tell you this as an artist, I think you'll understand. Sometimes when I'm driving... on the road at night... I see two headlights coming toward me. Fast. I have this sudden impulse to turn the wheel quickly, head-on into the oncoming car. I can anticipate the explosion. The sound of shattering glass. The... flames rising out of the flowing gasoline.”
CHRISTOPHER WALKEN

LAURENCE OLIVIER

C15: “I felt that I wasn't reaching all the boys and girls out there in television land. Actually, it was not so much I wasn't reaching the boys and girls, but the boys and girls were starting to reach me. Six months ago a perfectly adult bartender asked me if I'd like an onion in my martini, and I said, 'Gosh and gollies, you betcha!' Well, I knew it was time to quit.”
DAMN, I KNOW THIS!

C18: In one movie he gets a fake tan to hide the fact that he never went to Florida, in real life he maintained a year-round suntan to avoid wearing make up.
CARY GRANT

C20: This actress played a beloved fictional amateur detective in a number of films, but in real life her father murdered her grandfather and her mother committed suicide.
MARGARET RUTHERFORD

C22: Her first daughter was born mentally retarded because this actress had contracted rubella (aka German measles) during her only appearance at the Hollywood Canteen. This served as the uncredited inspiration for the plot of the 1962 Agatha Christie novel and later movie The Mirror Crack'd. As an aside, the novel was dedicated to another answer in this quiz.
GENE TIERNEY

D1: I never knew that when Paul Newman was young, that he would have angst about selling out his youthful ideals by becoming a Tom Selleck wannabee.
TOM BERENGER?

D3: A lunatic religious fanatic, who claimed to have been ordered by higher powers, attacked and attempted to murder this actress shortly after the release of a major boxing movie that she was in. After a long, hard recovery, this actress has devoted her life to helping other women who have had similar traumatic experiences. 5 years later she guest starred on a 1987 episode of NBC's police drama "Hunter", playing the part of an attack victim. The episode's storyline was loosely based on the events surrounding her near fatal real-life attack.
THERESA SALDANA

D6: “I'm reviewing the situation / Can a fellow be a villain all his life? / All the trials and tribulations. / Better settle down and get myself a wife! / And a wife would cook and sew for me, / And come for me, and go for me, / And go for me, and nag at me, / The fingers, she would wag at me. / The money she would take from me. / A misery, she'll make from me... I think I'd better think it out again!”
RON MOODY

D9: It's sad that this actress' younger brother committed suicide with the other members of the notorious Heaven's Gate cult, you would think that he would have just contacted her and asked for her help in beaming them up.
has to be NICHELLE NICHOLS

D12: (After being referred to as a hostile witness) "You think I'm hostile now, wait 'til you see me tonight."
MARISA TOMEI

D18: “Pshh. Science, huh? Well, you tell Mr. Goodman there's a lot of work to be done around here, so he'd better not count on you spending your days with half-life. Tell him if he wants to find out about half-life, he can come and ask me; I'm the original half-life. I've got one daughter with half a mind, the other who's half a test tube, a house half-full of rabbit crap and half a corpse. That's a half-life, all right.”
JOANNE WOODWARD

D31: In one movie he has to deal with a lifeless figure that comes alive and in a subsequent film he has to deal with a lifeless figure that he has to convince others that it is alive.
ANDREW McCARTHY

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:40 am

[quote="frogman042"]Oh and don't be surprised if one actor shows up as the answer to more than 1 clue.

Have fun!

Ian McKellen

Kenneth Branagh

B3: I wonder if this actor used his real life experiences going to school with Prince Charles later in life when he played Prince Hal.

This also sounds like Kenneth Branagh

Robin Williams

Hardy Kruger

Charles Bronson

Laurence Olivier

George Hamilton?

C24: He was the only cast member of A Bridge Too Far to have actually served at the actual battles depicted in the film. Also an enemy of his in that film is an answer to another clue in this game.

Sean Connery

C25: “Probably you've been playing Southeastern Tegwar all your life, but in the Majors the boys all play Western Canadian style. Which, for my money, is much faster.”

Michael Moriarty

Theresa Saldana

D5: If you are looking for a hooker who is not afraid of morgues and can serve you a beer as well – this is the person to call.

Shelley Long
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:08 am

First pass as I wait for phone calls ....

JOHN GIELGUD in Arthur

KENNETH BRANAGH

A7: "Look, you obviously don't know anything about intelligence work, lady. It's an X-K-Red-27 technique."

KEVIN KLINE in A Fish Called Wanda

LAURENCE HARVEY

ORSON WELLES in The Third Man

RICHARD BURTON?

GREER GARSON

JEANNETTE NOLAN?

and

WENDY HILLER

B7: This actress was the subject of an urban legend claiming that she had been the model for the Columbia Pictures logo. This rumor was untrue but so widespread that she told Roger Ebert that she believed it to be true.

ANNETTE BENNING OR IDA LUPINO

C5: “Prepare for what promises to be a day of astounding musical, theatrical, and dancing talent. And after I'm finished you can see the ladies!”

WILLIAM SHATNER

C9: “Well, if that judge had looked any closer, he'd have seen that it was a copy of Moby Dick.”

MARY STUART MASTERSON in Fried Green Tomatoes

GEORGE CLOONEY

JASON ROBARDS

CARY GRANT (the movie is The Awful Truth)

C21: “I can't still be working here when I go to court. 'Oh yes your honor; I found a new job... I'm working at the Eager Beaver!'”

DEMI MOORE

GENE TIERNEY

C23: “I know there's no other woman... no flesh-and-blood woman. But I can't fight this Lady Luck of yours, this fancy queen in her green felt dress.”

This is whoever played Magnolia in Show Boat so it’s either KATHRYN GRAYSON or IRENE DUNNE

This is from Bang the Drum Slowly but I can’t remember who said it.

C30: This silent film star is the only person to have the three top silent film comedians, Charles Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd appear in supporting roles in his films.

ROSCOE (FATTY) ARBUCKLE??

D4: “Well, good night, Michael. It was a wonderful party. My date left with someone else. I had a lot of fun. Do you have any Seconol?”

TERI GARR

Who played Fagin in Oliver? The lyric is Reviewing the Situation.

NICHELLE NICHOLS

MARISA TOMEI

D20: “I'm sorry, dear. I'll try to be more careful with the next dozen.”

MYRNA LOY!

D24: “I've never met anyone like you. There's not a spark of sentiment or romance or human kindness in your whole body.”

EVA MARIE SAINT

D27: Lucille Ball said she finally decided to go ahead with "I Love Lucy" when this actress, who had been a close friend and died tragically 9 years earlier, came to her in a dream and recommended she take a chance on the risky idea of entering television.

CAROLE LOMBARD

ToLiveIsToFly

#5 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 am

C26: This brat-packer wrote the book: "Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family and Finding the Perfect Lipstick".
MOLLY RINGWALD
C29: “Well, maybe you should. You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear.”
RON LIVINGSTON

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#6 Post by frogman042 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am

mellytu74 wrote: D20: “I'm sorry, dear. I'll try to be more careful with the next dozen.”

MYRNA LOY!
Ooops - I screwed up - yes that quote is Myrna Loy - but I shouldn't have used it.

I'm replacing it with this one instead (and I'm updating the original quiz to reflect the change)

D20: "Miss Em told me to always be myself, not to pretend. You told me that after I marry you, there won't be a Pinky Johnson anymore. How can I be myself if there's no Pinky Johnson anymore?"

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:48 am

frogman042 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote: D20: “I'm sorry, dear. I'll try to be more careful with the next dozen.”

MYRNA LOY!
Ooops - I screwed up - yes that quote is Myrna Loy - but I shouldn't have used it.

I'm replacing it with this one instead (and I'm updating the original quiz to reflect the change)

JEANNE CRAIN

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:55 pm

A1 is easy. Other BBs must have been in a hurry and overlooked it.

HELEN MIRREN
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#9 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:46 pm

D15: What can you say about an actress who amassed 124 screen credits by the year 1918? Did she realize that her last credit would be always a day away?

Frank -- can you think of a silent actress whose last credit was a movie with "Tomorrow" in the title? I am striking out here.

franktangredi

#10 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:53 pm

mellytu74 wrote:D15: What can you say about an actress who amassed 124 screen credits by the year 1918? Did she realize that her last credit would be always a day away?

Frank -- can you think of a silent actress whose last credit was a movie with "Tomorrow" in the title? I am striking out here.
Not so far.

franktangredi

#11 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:41 pm

First Consolidation:

A1: "And it is my belief that they will any moment reject this... this 'mood', which is being stirred up by the press, in favor of a period of restrained grief, and sober, private mourning. That's the way we do things in this country, quietly, with dignity. That's what the rest of the world has always admired us for."
HELEN MIRREN

IAN McKELLAN

JOHN GIELGUD

A4: He was originally cast to play a part in a classic Horror/Sci-Fi film, but had to drop out on the first day of filming because he fell ill with bronchitis, forcing him to spend three days in intensive care. Oddly enough the character he would have played would end up having much more serious issue, not in the lungs but in a body part slightly below that area of his torso.
A5: "Here, the men's only choice is between German bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to *follow*. What we need..."
KENNETH BRANAGH

KEVIN KLINE

LAURENCE HARVEY

ORSON WELLES

RICHARD BURTON?

MICHELLE PFEIFFER?

B2: “This is fate we're talking about, and if fate works at all, it works because people think that THIS TIME, it isn't going to happen!”
KENNETH BRANAGH?

GREER GARSON

JEANNETTE NOLAN

and
WENDY HILLER

MYRNA LOY?

B8: “Mm-hm. And every night, they would wander the skies together. But, one of the other spirits was jealous. Trickster wanted the Moon for himself. So he told Kuekuatsu that the Moon had asked for flowers; he told him to come to our world and pick her some wild roses. But Kuekuatsu didn't know that once you leave the spirit world, you can never go back. And every night, he looks up in the sky and sees the Moon and howls her name. But... he can never touch her again.”
ELIZABETH TAYLOR

B10: “Angraecum sesquipedale! A beauty! God! Darwin wrote about this one. Charles Darwin? Evolution guy? Hello? You see that nectary all the way down there? Darwin hypothesized a moth with a nose twelve inches long to pollinate it. Everyone thought he was a loon! Then, sure enough, they found this moth with a twelve-inch proboscis. Proboscis means 'nose,' by the way.”
B11: He is cited twice in the Guinness Book of World Records for creating the most character voices in an audiobook (more than 200) and for voicing the first six "Top Ten" selling audiobooks of all time. He also has won a record nine "Audie" awards.

C1: “A-ah. Intelligence reports that the Air Corps knocking'em out by day and the Germans rebuilding'em by night. Now all we have to do is get there tomorrow morning at dawn, and we got ourselves a bridge.”
ROBIN WILLIAMS

C4: This actor portrayed a historical figure who was a leading French Post-Impressionist artist. A number of years later, this actor's son played the very same artist.
WILLIAM SHATNER

C6: Stan Lee used this actors physical likeness (Noticeably his bald head and intense stare) as the inspiration for the appearance of Professor Charles Xavier in the ''X-Men'' comics.
C7: “As you know, l'm quite keen on comic books. Especially the ones about superheroes. I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating. Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology... The mythology is not only great, it's unique.”
HARDY KRUGER

MARY STUART MASTERSON

REX HARRISON?

GEORGE CLOONEY

CHARLES BRONSON

CHRISTOPHER WALKEN

LAURENCE OLIVIER

JASON ROBARDS

C16: I wonder if he might have tried to turn Eroica into Erotica, but he probably would have sucked at it and when caught he probably would claim he was just a patsy.
C17: “I don't want any pills. I want some of the good things of life... money. Why should you be able to spend less on yourself than some women do on their rotten poodles? Why shouldn't you have a hairdresser and a ladies maid?”
CARY GRANT

C19: “Mmm. The San Quentin Country Club. With a cute little rear end like that, you'll be the belle of the ball. Your dance card'll be filled every day. You'll be so popular, making all kinds of new, close friends. Big, ugly, hairy friends! Not that you'll ever see what they look like, 'cause you'll be facing the other way.”
MARGARET RUTHERFORD

DEMI MOORE

GENE TIERNEY

IRENE DUNNE? KATHRYN GRAYSON?

SEAN CONNERY

MICHAEL MORIARTY

MOLLY RINGWALD

C27: “All my knowledge came from books, and I'd just finished a novel about a glamorous French actress from the Comedie Francaise. That's the theater in France. When she wanted to arouse a man's interest, she treated him like a dog.”
C28: While filming a classic Vincent Price remake, this actor introduced Geoffrey Rush to both Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott and he didn't have to go to an A.A. meeting to do that.
RON LIVINGSTON

FATTY ARBUCKLE

D2: “This is a very weird situation. 'Cause I don't know if you remember back in '86 there was a major fucking drought. Nobody had anything. People were living on resin... -smoking the wood in their pipes for months. This chick had a bunch. And she's begging me to sell it. So I told her I wasn't going to be Joe the potman anymore, but I would take a little bit and sell it to my close, close, close friends. She agreed to that, said we'd keep the same arrangement as before; 10%, free pot for me, as long as I helped her out that weekend. She had a brick of weed she was selling, she didn't want to go to the buy alone. Her brother usually goes with her, but he's in county unexpectedly.”
THERESA SALDANA

TERI GARR

SHELLEY LONG

RON MOODY

D7: I stand condemned at the citadel for making a dangerous comment to the frightened lady.
D8: “Once, off the hump of Brazil I saw the ocean so darkened with blood it was black and the sun fainting away over the lip of the sky.We'd put in at Fortaleza, and a few of us had lines out for a bit of idle fishing. It was me had the first strike. A shark it was. Then there was another, and another shark again, 'till all about, the sea was made of sharks and more sharks still, and no water at all. My shark had torn himself from the hook, and the scent, or maybe the stain it was, and him bleeding his life away drove the rest of them mad. Then the beasts to to eating each other.In their frenzy, they ate at themselves.You could feel the lust of murder like a wind stinging your eyes, and you could smell the death, reeking up out of the sea. I never saw anything worse... until this little picnic tonight.And you know, there wasn't one of them sharks in the whole crazy pack that survived.”
NICHELLE NICHOLS

D10: “I have no wish to fill my few remaining years grieving for the loss of old friends. Or their sons.”
D11: Her real life husband and father of 4 of her children wrote a compelling drama based on Adolf Eichmann. After her sad death at the age of 42, I wonder if her husband took that old adage to heart by looking for other fish in the sea.
MARISA TOMEI

D13: Take a million pound bank note and hand it over to an immigrant from Mexico, on an impulse toss that legal tender to a dangerous woman with ambition, go due south and you should find the actress I'm looking for.
D14: “There's no dividing line, no insurmountable wall. I know it can't be described. It's a world of liberated feelings. Do you know what I mean? To me, man is a tremendous creation, an inconceivable thought. In man is everything, from the highest to lowest. Everything exists side by side. Realities, not only the reality we perceive with our dull senses, but a tumult of realities arching above each other inside and outside. It's just fear and priggishness to believe in limits. There are no limits, neither to thoughts nor feelings. It's anxiety that sets limits.”
D16: “We came here from a dying world. We drift through the universe, from planet to planet, pushed on by the solar winds. We adapt and we survive. The function of life is survival.”
D17: This actor went to the zoo to smash the kitty, but instead found that the girl in the watermelon was biohazardous so from that moment on – the actor was known as Citizen Toxie.
JOANNE WOODWARD

D19: It's not every actress who has a daughter that became the Dowager Duchess of Bedford or a grandson who became the 15th Duke of Bedford, even though he was born in Boston, Massachusetts.
JEANNE CRAIN

D21: If you saw Elmer Gantry, Guys and Dolls, The Snake Pit or The Heiress in Germany, chances are you actually heard this actress' voice.
D22: “I got to thinking up at the cabin, about the baby. How I'd feel if someone came creeping in and carried her off. I'd string him up the nearest tree. I'd shoot him down as I would a thieving fox.”
D23: You wouldn't expect that someone who spends his time coming up with various ways to commit murder would ever get a set of wings.
EVA MARIE SAINT

D25: When asked "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)", I guess after getting tired of seeing dead people, he really did!
D26: (stumbling into men's room with a martini) “Yoo-hoo! Sailor boy! How would you like to fuck Lula's momma?”
CAROLE LOMBARD

D28: “I'm gonna keep the coke and the fries but I'm gonna send this burger back. And if you put any mayonnaise on it, I'm gonna come over to your house, I'll chop your legs off, set fire to your house, and watch as you drag your bloody stumps out the door.”
D29: If you suffer from the addiction you might want to follow it up with the cure. If that doesn't work it might be the funeral.
D30: “Maybe life's a jolly 4th of July picnic for you, brother, but it certainly isn't for me. You cancelled out my meal ticket, its the middle of the night, there's no trains or buses until morning, and I got exactly 2 dimes and 45 miles between me and New York. Well what are you going to do about it?”
ANDREW McCARTHY

Pastor Fireball

#12 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm a little late to the party here, but at least I can add a couple of my own answers...

CHRIS COOPER in "Adaptation."

BETTE MIDLER in "Ruthless People"

MICHAEL GOUGH in Michael Keaton's "Batman"

My initial thought is that the last three words in this clue might refer to HENRY TRAVERS, who played Clarence in "It's a Wonderful Life".
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#13 Post by frogman042 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Based on the consolidation:

All but two of the definite answers are correct.
Of all the ones with a single question mark 3 are incorrect, the rest are correct. But one of the ones with a single question mark had someone else provide possible answers that did not appear in the consolidation - and those missing suggestions included the correct answer.
Of the ones that have multiple question marks, all of them have one of the suggestions being the correct answer.

franktangredi wrote:First Consolidation:

HELEN MIRREN

IAN McKELLAN

JOHN GIELGUD

KENNETH BRANAGH

KEVIN KLINE

LAURENCE HARVEY

ORSON WELLES

RICHARD BURTON?

MICHELLE PFEIFFER?

KENNETH BRANAGH?

GREER GARSON

JEANNETTE NOLAN

and
WENDY HILLER

MYRNA LOY?

ELIZABETH TAYLOR

ROBIN WILLIAMS

WILLIAM SHATNER

HARDY KRUGER

MARY STUART MASTERSON

REX HARRISON?

GEORGE CLOONEY

CHARLES BRONSON

CHRISTOPHER WALKEN

LAURENCE OLIVIER

JASON ROBARDS

CARY GRANT

MARGARET RUTHERFORD

DEMI MOORE

GENE TIERNEY

SEAN CONNERY

MICHAEL MORIARTY

MOLLY RINGWALD

RON LIVINGSTON

FATTY ARBUCKLE

THERESA SALDANA

TERI GARR

SHELLEY LONG

RON MOODY

NICHELLE NICHOLS

MARISA TOMEI

JOANNE WOODWARD

JEANNE CRAIN

EVA MARIE SAINT

CAROLE LOMBARD

ANDREW McCARTHY

franktangredi

#14 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote: D23: You wouldn't expect that someone who spends his time coming up with various ways to commit murder would ever get a set of wings.

My initial thought is that the last three words in this clue might refer to HENRY TRAVERS, who played Clarence in "It's a Wonderful Life".
Yes! The first part of the clue refers to his role in Shadow of a Doubt.

kroxquo

#15 Post by kroxquo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:22 pm

I hope I'm not too late to contribute.

Helen Mirren in The Queen?

Ian McKellen
Kenneth Branagh
Richard Burton?
Robin Williams
Yul Brynner?
Samuel L. Jackson in Unbreakable?
Laurence Olivier
Myrna Loy?

Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs. I just watched this last night.
Shelley Long? Wasn't she the hooker in that movie with Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton?
Ron Moody
Nichelle Nichols?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 pm

franktangredi wrote: A4: He was originally cast to play a part in a classic Horror/Sci-Fi film, but had to drop out on the first day of filming because he fell ill with bronchitis, forcing him to spend three days in intensive care. Oddly enough the character he would have played would end up having much more serious issue, not in the lungs but in a body part slightly below that area of his torso.
This is Jon Finch, who had John Hurt's role in Alien but had to drop out.

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 pm

franktangredi wrote:

Frank already guessed this, but this is Tom Berenger, who played Butch Cassidy in the prequel with William Katt, and also played a Magnum-like detective in The Big Chill
franktangredi wrote:

This is Mary Ure, who was married to Robert Shaw.

franktangredi

#18 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 pm

frogman042 wrote:Of all the ones with a single question mark 3 are incorrect, the rest are correct. But one of the ones with a single question mark had someone else provide possible answers that did not appear in the consolidation - and those missing suggestions included the correct answer.
That must have been the ANNETTE BENING one. I wasn't thinking in terms of the logo having changed in modern times. But, duh, the original model would have been unlikely to talk to Roger Ebert.

franktangredi

#19 Post by franktangredi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Okay, I got part of this. The A/B matches are all costars in Shakespearean film. At least, enough of them are to make it likely.

A1. Helen Mirren + ?????
A2. Ian McKellen + B7. Annette Bening = Richard III
A3. John Gielgud + B4. Greer Garson = Julius Caesar
A4. Jon Finch + ?????? = Macbeth (Polanski version) -- Francesca Annis one of the missing Bs?
A6. Kenneth Branagh + gotta be somebody in at least one of them!
A7. Kevin Kline + B1. Michelle Pfeiffer = A Midsummer Night's Dream
A8. Laurence Harvey + ???? = Romeo and Juliet
A9. Orson Welles + B5. Jeanette Nolan = Macbeth (Welles version)
A10. Richard Burton + B9. Elizabeth Taylor = The Taming of the Shrew

Solve all the actors in groups A, B, C and D. For any question that consists of just a quote, then I am looking for the actor that said that line. Pair up the actors in groups A & B to form a set of 12 matches (some actors will be used in more than 1 pairing). Pair up the actors in group C and D to form a set of 31 matches (one actor in group C will be used twice). Then take each the pairings of Group C&D and assign it to one of the pairings from groups A&B - you will end up with a total of 31 sets of double pairings (A&B and C&D) where a number of A&B parings will be used multiple times, but C&D parings will only be used once. How all the various pairings will be formed will be based on the Tangredi that you have to figure out.

Oh and don't be surprised if one actor shows up as the answer to more than 1 clue.

This was true as of the last consolidation, but it may not be true anymore, since some names have been added.
Of all the ones with a single question mark 3 are incorrect, the rest are correct.
Of the ones that have multiple question marks, all of them have one of the suggestions being the correct answer.
HELEN MIRREN

IAN McKELLEN

JOHN GIELGUD

JON FINCH

KENNETH BRANAGH

KEVIN KLINE

LAURENCE HARVEY

ORSON WELLES

RICHARD BURTON?

MICHELLE PFEIFFER

KENNETH BRANAGH?

GREER GARSON

JEANNETTE NOLAN

and
WENDY HILLER

ANNETTE BENING

ELIZABETH TAYLOR

CHRIS COOPER

ROBIN WILLIAMS

WILLIAM SHATNER

YUL BRYNNER?

SAMUEL L. JACKSON?

HARDY KRUGER

MARY STUART MASTERSON

REX HARRISON?

GEORGE CLOONEY

CHARLES BRONSON

CHRISTOPHER WALKEN

LAURENCE OLIVIER

JASON ROBARDS

CARY GRANT

BETTE MIDLER

MARGARET RUTHERFORD

DEMI MOORE

GENE TIERNEY

SEAN CONNERY

MICHAEL MORIARTY

MOLLY RINGWALD

RON LIVINGSTON

FATTY ARBUCKLE

TOM BERENGER

TIM ROTH

THERESA SALDANA

TERI GARR

SHELLEY LONG

RON MOODY

NICHELLE NICHOLS

MICHAEL GOUGH

MARY URE

MARISA TOMEI

JOANNE WOODWARD

JEANNE CRAIN

HENRY TRAVERS

EVA MARIE SAINT

CAROLE LOMBARD

ANDREW McCARTHY

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#20 Post by frogman042 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:50 pm

All the A&B pairings that are complete are correct.
2 answers without question marks are incorrect.
3 answers with question marks are incorrect.
Where there is multiple answers for the same question - one of the choices are correct.
All the rest of the answers (with or without question marks) are correct.

franktangredi wrote:Okay, I got part of this. The A/B matches are all costars in Shakespearean film. At least, enough of them are to make it likely.

A1. Helen Mirren + ?????
A4. Jon Finch + ?????? = Macbeth (Polanski version) -- Francesca Annis one of the missing Bs?
A6. Kenneth Branagh + gotta be somebody in at least one of them!
A8. Laurence Harvey + ???? = Romeo and Juliet

This was true as of the last consolidation, but it may not be true anymore, since some names have been added.
Of all the ones with a single question mark 3 are incorrect, the rest are correct.
HELEN MIRREN

IAN McKELLEN

JOHN GIELGUD

JON FINCH

KENNETH BRANAGH

KEVIN KLINE

LAURENCE HARVEY

ORSON WELLES

RICHARD BURTON?

MICHELLE PFEIFFER

KENNETH BRANAGH?

GREER GARSON

JEANNETTE NOLAN

and
WENDY HILLER

ANNETTE BENING

ELIZABETH TAYLOR

CHRIS COOPER

ROBIN WILLIAMS

WILLIAM SHATNER

YUL BRYNNER?

SAMUEL L. JACKSON?

HARDY KRUGER

MARY STUART MASTERSON

REX HARRISON?

GEORGE CLOONEY

CHARLES BRONSON

CHRISTOPHER WALKEN

LAURENCE OLIVIER

JASON ROBARDS

CARY GRANT

BETTE MIDLER

MARGARET RUTHERFORD

DEMI MOORE

GENE TIERNEY

SEAN CONNERY

MICHAEL MORIARTY

MOLLY RINGWALD

RON LIVINGSTON

FATTY ARBUCKLE

TOM BERENGER

TIM ROTH

THERESA SALDANA

TERI GARR

SHELLEY LONG

RON MOODY

NICHELLE NICHOLS

MICHAEL GOUGH

MARY URE

MARISA TOMEI

JOANNE WOODWARD

JEANNE CRAIN

HENRY TRAVERS

EVA MARIE SAINT

CAROLE LOMBARD

ANDREW McCARTHY

Pastor Fireball

#21 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Now that Frank has figured out part of the Tangredi, figuring out the rest of the B answers should be a lot easier. I can start it off with this one:
This is JIM DALE, the voice of the Harry Potter audiobooks. He co-starred with Laurence Harvey, but not in "Romeo & Juliet". It was in "The Winter's Tale".
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Pastor Fireball

#22 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Filling in the rest of the blanks in Lists A and B:
JOSEPH FIENNES in "Enemy at the Gates"
DEREK JACOBI in "Dead Again"
LYNN COLLINS in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"

With those actors now on the board, I have 12 possible matches:

A1. Helen Mirren + B10. Chris Cooper = The Tempest
A3. John Gielgud + B3. Kenneth Branagh (if he's the correct answer) = Hamlet
A3. John Gielgud + B6. Wendy Hiller = Richard II (TV movie version)
A4. Jon Finch + B6. Wendy Hiller = Richard II (TV movie version)
A5. Joseph Fiennes + B8. Lynn Collins = The Merchant of Venice
A6. Kenneth Branagh + B2. Derek Jacobi = Henry V and Hamlet
A8. Laurence Harvey + B11. Jim Dale = The Winter's Tale

But I have no clue how Shakespeare connects to the work of people like Shatner/Nichols and Ringwald/McCarthy.

franktangredi

#23 Post by franktangredi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:
A1. Helen Mirren + B10. Chris Cooper = The Tempest
A3. John Gielgud + B3. Kenneth Branagh (if he's the correct answer) = Hamlet
A3. John Gielgud + B6. Wendy Hiller = Richard II (TV movie version)
A4. Jon Finch + B6. Wendy Hiller = Richard II (TV movie version)
A5. Joseph Fiennes + B8. Lynn Collins = The Merchant of Venice
A6. Kenneth Branagh + B2. Derek Jacobi = Henry V and Hamlet
A8. Laurence Harvey + B11. Jim Dale = The Winter's Tale
One of these matches is probably wrong; I doubt he would have used the tv movie of Richard II for two different matches to the same person. The rest seem right.

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Is anyone paying attention to the subject of this thread?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

franktangredi

#25 Post by franktangredi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:06 pm

I checked this one:

MARY STUART MASTERSON

Right movie, but it was MARY-LOUISE PARKER.