Obama Rules are Back Again

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Obama Rules are Back Again

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:06 am

Geraldine Ferraro: "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is.

John Kerry (yesterday, post-"speech"): During an interview with the New Bedford Standard Times, portions of which were posted on YouTube, John Kerry says bluntly that Barack Obama has the potential to "bridge the divide in religious extremism" because he is black....
...The Massachusetts senator said Obama has an ability to perhaps even empower moderate Islam "to be able to stand up against the racial misinterpretation of a legitimate religion." Asked by a reporter what gave Obama the credibility to do so, Kerry said, "Because he's African American. Because he's a black man, who has come from a place of oppression and repression through the years in our own country.

Now, Geraldine Ferraro gets fired and essentially equated for Rev. Wright for saying Obama is where he is because he's black, and John Kerry says he's uniquely qualified to be President because he's black. What's the difference. And if some high level McCain supporter said that McCain has the credibility to deal with the leaders of Europe because he's white, what do you think the reacion would have been.

Of course, that's not Obama himself. Here's what Obama said yesterday:

""The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know (pause) there's a reaction in her that doesn't go away and it comes out in the wrong way."

So imagine if Hillary had said that black people who support Obama were typical black people who vote for one of their own color for that reason alone. Any guess about how that one would have gone over.

Obama supporters will continue to excuse, justify, ignore, and rationalize these statements from now until John McCain's innauguration.

ne1410s

#2 Post by ne1410s » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:11 am

I think you would be better served to hold your breath until you turn blue. The only part of our society more entrenched than racism is sexism.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

ToLiveIsToFly

#3 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:25 am

The thing I don't get is why this "if their race and gender were any different" stuff seems new. If any of the previous 43 were anything other than white men, they would never have been elected President.

And if Hillary weren't a woman? Give me a break.

wbtravis007

#4 Post by wbtravis007 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:59 am

sss wrote:

Obama supporters will continue to excuse, justify, ignore, and rationalize these statements from now until John McCain's innauguration.

There will be a lot less reason to worry about a McCain innauguration if you and the other pouters will be able to get over your frustration and realiize that to vote for him to spite Obama would be immature and ridiculous.

If y'all don't wake up from this hysteria before then, I think that one day you will, and will regret letting your emotions get the best of you.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:38 am

wbtravis007 wrote:sss wrote:

There will be a lot less reason to worry about a McCain innauguration if you and the other pouters will be able to get over your frustration and realiize that to vote for him to spite Obama would be immature and ridiculous.

If y'all don't wake up from this hysteria before then, I think that one day you will, and will regret letting your emotions get the best of you.
I've tried to stay out of this since I really don't have an opinion regarding which candidate would be a better choice. However I must say that there is strong sentiment among some Obama supporters that if Hillary ends up with the nomination they will sit on their hands come November, even if it means a McCain victory. There is that much animosity on both sides of the Democratic party and, quite frankly, I don't see much chance of it being resolved. Someone's going to come away from the convention disappointed and I foresee that the split, already bitter, will be irreparable.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:41 am

wbtravis007 wrote: If y'all don't wake up from this hysteria before then, I think that one day you will, and will regret letting your emotions get the best of you.
I haven't voted for a Republican since 1972, my first election, when I voted for the incumbent representative in my state House of Representatives district. He seemed a reasonable guy and he showed up on campus to distribute flyers which his Democratic opponent didn't and I was determined that the first time I voted, I would be independent.

Since then I have voted for a grand total of zero Republicans in any election. If a Republican is unopposed in my district, I refuse to vote for him or her. When I got married and moved in with my wife in a different part of town and a different Congressional district, I kept my voter registration at my former address for two elections until I could help vote a particularly nasty conservative Republican Congressman out of office.

So this isn't something I view lightly or as a momentary fit of pique. I would have supported John Edwards or Biden or Dodd or Richardson in an instant had one of them become the nominee. But I consider Barack Obama a disgrace to the Democratic party as evidence most recently by the dog-and-pony show he has been putting on these last two weeks.

I don't believe he is a rabid anti-American hater as some have portrayed him. I feel he is a charlatan, a fraud, a hypocrite, a race baiter, a liar, a man with no convictions whatsoever other than getting himself elected. I believe that this entire process will damage the Democratic party badly. This may cost us the Senate elections in states like ME, MN, OR, and LA which will be the difference between a narrow majority and having to suck up to Joe Lieberman for another two years and a solid working majority.

There is only one way to put a stop to this if Obama is the candidate and that is to make sure that there is h*ll to pay in the Democratic hierarchy. Not just an honorable loss due to those nasty racist Republicans but a rout that will result in cleaning house and getting rid of those moronic convention rules and caucuses and morons like Donna Brazile. In that respect, I confess I am somewhat like a fan of a mediocre sports team who hopes at the end of a losing season that the team do as poorly as possible so that a borderline coach isn't kept around for another season to botch things up yet again.

And on an even more fundamental level, I have been disgusted by Republican tactics that have brought down decent people like Max Cleland and I have not wanted to be a part of them. Now, my party has been throwing itself at the feet of a man who has gotten where he is by doing the exact same thing and who is continuing to do the same thing, such as by posting the picture of Bill Clinton with Wright with the New York Times.

So I will support John Lewis my Congressman (who I think was mercilessly pressured into supporting Obama and who could yet switch back come this summer) and whoever gets the Democratic nomination against that worm of a Senator we have, Saxby the draft dodger Chambless. But I will vote for John McCain over Barack Obama.

goongas

#7 Post by goongas » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:59 am

I feel he is a charlatan, a fraud, a hypocrite, a race baiter, a liar, a man with no convictions whatsoever other than getting himself elected
I think these labels apply to Hillary more, and I am a Hillary supporter.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:11 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote: If y'all don't wake up from this hysteria before then, I think that one day you will, and will regret letting your emotions get the best of you.
I haven't voted for a Republican since 1972, my first election, when I voted for the incumbent representative in my state House of Representatives district. He seemed a reasonable guy and he showed up on campus to distribute flyers which his Democratic opponent didn't and I was determined that the first time I voted, I would be independent.

Since then I have voted for a grand total of zero Republicans in any election. If a Republican is unopposed in my district, I refuse to vote for him or her. When I got married and moved in with my wife in a different part of town and a different Congressional district, I kept my voter registration at my former address for two elections until I could help vote a particularly nasty conservative Republican Congressman out of office.

So this isn't something I view lightly or as a momentary fit of pique. I would have supported John Edwards or Biden or Dodd or Richardson in an instant had one of them become the nominee. But I consider Barack Obama a disgrace to the Democratic party as evidence most recently by the dog-and-pony show he has been putting on these last two weeks.

I don't believe he is a rabid anti-American hater as some have portrayed him. I feel he is a charlatan, a fraud, a hypocrite, a race baiter, a liar, a man with no convictions whatsoever other than getting himself elected. I believe that this entire process will damage the Democratic party badly. This may cost us the Senate elections in states like ME, MN, OR, and LA which will be the difference between a narrow majority and having to suck up to Joe Lieberman for another two years and a solid working majority.

There is only one way to put a stop to this if Obama is the candidate and that is to make sure that there is h*ll to pay in the Democratic hierarchy. Not just an honorable loss due to those nasty racist Republicans but a rout that will result in cleaning house and getting rid of those moronic convention rules and caucuses and morons like Donna Brazile. In that respect, I confess I am somewhat like a fan of a mediocre sports team who hopes at the end of a losing season that the team do as poorly as possible so that a borderline coach isn't kept around for another season to botch things up yet again.

And on an even more fundamental level, I have been disgusted by Republican tactics that have brought down decent people like Max Cleland and I have not wanted to be a part of them. Now, my party has been throwing itself at the feet of a man who has gotten where he is by doing the exact same thing and who is continuing to do the same thing, such as by posting the picture of Bill Clinton with Wright with the New York Times.

So I will support John Lewis my Congressman (who I think was mercilessly pressured into supporting Obama and who could yet switch back come this summer) and whoever gets the Democratic nomination against that worm of a Senator we have, Saxby the draft dodger Chambless. But I will vote for John McCain over Barack Obama.
When he's elected are you going to leave the country? Please?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

TheConfessor

#9 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 am

silverscreenselect wrote:When I got married and moved in with my wife in a different part of town and a different Congressional district, I kept my voter registration at my former address for two elections until I could help vote a particularly nasty conservative Republican Congressman out of office.
Moral outrage has a hollow ring when it comes from someone who proudly committed voter fraud to promote his agenda.

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:43 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:When I got married and moved in with my wife in a different part of town and a different Congressional district, I kept my voter registration at my former address for two elections until I could help vote a particularly nasty conservative Republican Congressman out of office.
Moral outrage has a hollow ring when it comes from someone who proudly committed voter fraud to promote his agenda.
I received a voter registration card and I followed the instructions on it regarding where to go to vote.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:59 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
I received a voter registration card and I followed the instructions on it regarding where to go to vote.
LOL - Some might call that response Clintonesque.

TheCalvinator24

#12 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:26 pm

When I worked as an Election Judge, we were instructed to ask the voter if he or she had moved from the address on the voter rolls. If so, there were certain instructions depending on whether they moved in county or out of county.

However, knowingly voting in the wrong precinct would qualify as Election Fraud in Texas.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

wintergreen48

#13 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:37 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:When I worked as an Election Judge, we were instructed to ask the voter if he or she had moved from the address on the voter rolls. If so, there were certain instructions depending on whether they moved in county or out of county.

However, knowingly voting in the wrong precinct would qualify as Election Fraud in Texas.
I would think that it would be considered to be particularly egregious if the reason for voting in the wrong precinct (i.e., one in which you do not actually reside) is specifically for the purpose of having an adverse impact on an election. That is an obamination.

And somehow, I can't help thinking that, if there were a news report about 'the Bush Administration' getting people to vote in a Congressional District in which they were NOT resident, when this was done for the purpose of ousting a Democratic Congressman, Somehow, Someway, Someone on this Bored would treat us to a treatise about despicable Republican election shenanigans, stealing elections, etc.....

peacock2121

#14 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:51 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:When I worked as an Election Judge, we were instructed to ask the voter if he or she had moved from the address on the voter rolls. If so, there were certain instructions depending on whether they moved in county or out of county.

, Somehow, Someway, Someone on this Bored would treat us to a treatise about despicable Republican election shenanigans, stealing elections, etc.....
That was inventive and funny.

And true.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:53 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote:

, Somehow, Someway, Someone on this Bored would treat us to a treatise about despicable Republican election shenanigans, stealing elections, etc.....
That was inventive and funny.

And true.
Rabblerouser!
Well, then

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#16 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:37 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
I would think that it would be considered to be particularly egregious if the reason for voting in the wrong precinct (i.e., one in which you do not actually reside) is specifically for the purpose of having an adverse impact on an election. That is an obamination.
Very clever!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:56 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:

And somehow, I can't help thinking that, if there were a news report about 'the Bush Administration' getting people to vote in a Congressional District in which they were NOT resident, when this was done for the purpose of ousting a Democratic Congressman, Somehow, Someway, Someone on this Bored would treat us to a treatise about despicable Republican election shenanigans, stealing elections, etc.....
Apparently, Rush Limbaugh may be facing some hot water. He used his radio show to encourage Ohio Republicans to register Democratic so they could vote for Hillary in the primary. The professed reason was to weaken the eventual Democratic nominee so as to assist McCain's election.

The problem is that Ohio law requires the voter to profess that they agree with the party with which they are registering. Registering in the "wrong" party, particularly with the intent to affect the outcome of an election, is election fraud under Ohio law. So Rush was soliciting election fraud.

I understand that he is now the subject of an investigation by the Ohio Board of Elections, which consists of two Democrats and two Republicans. The Secretary of State, a Democrat, has the power to break ties. It could be interesting to watch Rush become a two-time loser. Well, at least this one isn't a drug rap. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

wintergreen48

#18 Post by wintergreen48 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:20 am

Bob78164 wrote:Apparently, Rush Limbaugh may be facing some hot water. He used his radio show to encourage Ohio Republicans to register Democratic so they could vote for Hillary in the primary. The professed reason was to weaken the eventual Democratic nominee so as to assist McCain's election.

The problem is that Ohio law requires the voter to profess that they agree with the party with which they are registering. Registering in the "wrong" party, particularly with the intent to affect the outcome of an election, is election fraud under Ohio law. So Rush was soliciting election fraud.

I understand that he is now the subject of an investigation by the Ohio Board of Elections, which consists of two Democrats and two Republicans. The Secretary of State, a Democrat, has the power to break ties. It could be interesting to watch Rush become a two-time loser. Well, at least this one isn't a drug rap. --Bob

Ooh, maybe SSS and Rush can become cellmates. That could lead to some very interesting discussions. They have a lot in common (neither one likes Obama...)

Which one would be the other's beyotch?

peacock2121

#19 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:25 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Apparently, Rush Limbaugh may be facing some hot water. He used his radio show to encourage Ohio Republicans to register Democratic so they could vote for Hillary in the primary. The professed reason was to weaken the eventual Democratic nominee so as to assist McCain's election.

Ooh, maybe SSS and Rush can become cellmates. That could lead to some very interesting discussions. They have a lot in common (neither one likes Obama...)

Which one would be the other's beyotch?
Made me laugh and laugh.

Rush would be SSS' beyotch - no doubt about that one.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#20 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:50 am

peacock2121 wrote:
Rush would be SSS' beyotch - no doubt about that one.
I'm not so sure. Rush would hang an American flag on the cell wall, citing his first amendment rights to express his patriotism. SSS would sue on the basis of cruel and unusual punishment, but he'd be reduced to a quivering, whimpering mass every time he counted the stars.

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:41 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:However, knowingly voting in the wrong precinct would qualify as Election Fraud in Texas.
I don't have access to older versions of the Georgia Code, so I can't verify that the laws in this regard have not changed since the 1980's, but the wording of these statutory provisions seems as if they are not of recent vintage.

In Georgia, the qualifications to vote are that you be a citizen of Georgia and the US, at least 18, registered to vote, and a resident of the county or municipality in which you seek to vote.

When I moved, I moved to a different location in the same county.The law states that if I move to a different location in the same county and do not update my registration within five weeks of election day, I must vote in my former location. It does say I have a duty to notify them of my new address, but obviously it allows for the possibility that people will not do so.

Voting by an unqualified elector is a crime, but I was qualified under Georgia law and I did not give any false statements in connection with my registration.

takinover

#22 Post by takinover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:17 pm

In addition to SSS getting pwned in this thread
silverscreenselect wrote: I would have supported John Edwards or Biden or Dodd or Richardson in an instant had one of them become the nominee.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/p ... ill22.html

The headline reads "Longtime Clinton ally goes with Obama."

TheCalvinator24

#23 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:35 pm

takinover wrote:In addition to SSS getting pwned in this thread
silverscreenselect wrote: I would have supported John Edwards or Biden or Dodd or Richardson in an instant had one of them become the nominee.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/p ... ill22.html

The headline reads "Longtime Clinton ally goes with Obama."
Ouch for Hillary!

And to think that he's been floated as a possible Veep for Hillary as well.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bixby17

#24 Post by Bixby17 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:23 am

Huh?

I'm not a big fan of either of the Dem nominees, but I haven't seen anything that Obama has done that would twist my knickers this badly. All candidates and their peeps sometimes say things that are a little stupid. It is part of being human beings. Ones that are under the microscope.

I don't understand why Obama has you more up in arms than any of the other candidates.

Could you be more specific?

mrkelley23

#25 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:34 am

Nonononononono, Bix, you really don't understand.

This is all part of Hillary's clever "I know you are, but what am I?" defense to explain why she has lost her invulnerability cloak.

I love that when Repubs in office were getting pounded by the press, and she and Bill were the beneficiaries, it was all about freedom of the press. Now that she's not the one getting love from the press, it's a vast media conspiracy against her. When she was getting love for being a ground-breaking candidate, that was all good, but now that there's another ground-breaking candidate, that's the ONLY reason he's getting any love. I love that nearly every adjective and epithet that she and her emissaries (including SSS and his rant you referenced above) can be applied to her, in spades, but that's actually a STRONG point for her, somehow.

My Dad had printed out a Hillary supporter's rant from another source, claiming that KARL ROVE, of all people, was behind Barack Obama, and it was his puppet-mastering in all those primaries that Obama won, getting people to cross party lines to vote for Obama over Hillary, that has caused the current mess she's in. The fact that such notables as Rush Limbaugh and I don't remember the other one have been actively, publicly campaigning the other way, to cross party lines to vote for Hillary in primaries, was barely mentioned.

I really didn't have anything against Hillary except for her vote on the Bush Carte Blanche resolution before this, but I wold have an even harder time voting for her after witnessing the last 6 weeks of this campaign.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman