I can't believe no one commented on the Iron Bowl

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

I can't believe no one commented on the Iron Bowl

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:24 pm

I didn't see the game live because I was playing bridge, but that has to be one of the most amazing finishes I've ever seen. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

Re: I can't believe no one commented on the Iron Bowl

#2 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I didn't see the game live because I was playing bridge, but that has to be one of the most amazing finishes I've ever seen. --Bob
Love the fact that Saban got out-coached at the end.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 pm

I particularly enjoyed watching the video with sound from the Auburn announcers. Kind of like listening to the Bobby Thomson home run call. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:01 pm

The greatest Iron Bowl ever - if you ask me. My little 5 year old grandson, Chapman, a huge sports fan, got my ticket. He literally had tears well up in eyes when that last play was over and everyone realized we won the game. The entire stadium was in shock for a moment.

I'm a realist and was hoping for a "respectable loss"….and I sure didn't want to see overtime.

It's certainly getting a lot of national attention. My family is one happy group. :)

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

lilclyde54

#5 Post by lilclyde54 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:18 pm

One of the most in demand bumper stickers down here now is "Hey Nick, got a second ?" :wink:
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

TheConfessor

#6 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:57 pm

i liked whoever the announcer was who observed that Alabama only had the kicker and ten fat guys on the field. I guess they were trying to avoid a blocked kick, but having a few nonfat guys would have prevented what happened.

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:49 pm

What a game!

BTW, my college is much smaller than Auburn, but it also has a Tiger mascot, and it had a great football season, beating its own Crimson and Bulldog rivals.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

TheConfessor

#8 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 am

One Bama fan wasn't taking the loss hard enough at a viewing party, so she was killed.
http://www.statesman.com/news/ap/crime/ ... ing/nb8jF/

elwoodblues

#9 Post by elwoodblues » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:49 am

jarnon wrote:What a game!

BTW, my college is much smaller than Auburn, but it also has a Tiger mascot, and it had a great football season, beating its own Crimson and Bulldog rivals.
Princeton?

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:54 pm

elwoodblues wrote:

Princeton?
That's right. They've been playing football there for 144 years. But they don't play against any big-name colleges or in the post-season, so nobody cares besides us alumni.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 pm

jarnon wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:

Princeton?
That's right. They've been playing football there for 144 years. But they don't play against any big-name colleges or in the post-season, so nobody cares besides us alumni.
We had the oldest rivalry in the country, but Rutgers had to discard that in search of the big time. :(

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:11 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
jarnon wrote:
elwoodblues wrote: Princeton?
We had the oldest rivalry in the country, but Rutgers had to discard that in search of the big time. :(
That happened shortly after I graduated. As I recall, fans often tore down the goalposts. Sometimes they did it before the game ended, making it hard to kick field goals and PATs. What an odd custom. Rutgers students also kept stealing Princeton's Revolutionary War cannon, until it was half-buried in cement. After that, the best they could do was steal the Tiger mascot's costume.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:17 pm

jarnon wrote:Rutgers students also kept stealing Princeton's Revolutionary War cannon, until it was half-buried in cement. After that, the best they could do was steal the Tiger mascot's costume.
Who'd want a sweaty mascot costume when we could steal a cannon? :twisted:

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Here's the video I was talking about. It runs longer than the excerpt used on ESPN and shows the runback 3 or 4 times.

--Bob

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:36 pm

jarnon wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:

Princeton?
Speaking of Princeton, I was thinking earlier today about Aaron Burr and how he'd fit into today's political climate.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

TheConfessor

#16 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Bob Juch wrote: Speaking of Princeton, I was thinking earlier today about Aaron Burr and how he'd fit into today's political climate.
Speaking of Princeton, I prefer to think about Jessica Burr. She would never hijack a non-political football thread.

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:06 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Speaking of Princeton, I was thinking earlier today about Aaron Burr and how he'd fit into today's political climate.
Speaking of Princeton, I prefer to think about Jessica Burr. She would never hijack a non-political football thread.
She probably wouldn't but almost everyone else here has hijacked a thread at one time or another.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

TheConfessor wrote:One Bama fan wasn't taking the loss hard enough at a viewing party, so she was killed.
http://www.statesman.com/news/ap/crime/ ... ing/nb8jF/
Something similar here....our high school played their 3rd playoff game against a team everyone expected to beat us by 25-30 points. They were ranked 5th in the state, undefeated, averaged 44 points per game holding opponents to an average of 8 points (5 shutouts) including winning the first two playoff games 41-6 and 61-0. The only unknown was by how much we'd get beat.

We won 9-7 (missing our extra point). We held them on 4th down and less than 2 yards twice in the closing minutes.

One of their player's parents went down on the filed and beat up their coach.
Story here
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

jarnon

#19 Post by jarnon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:05 pm

I thought Kay's family were the most ardent Auburn fans, but this family has them beat:

Remains found at Jordan-Hare

My admiration to the deceased and family for the foresight to pick this game to scatter the ashes, and the skill to do it without getting caught.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:11 pm

jarnon wrote:I thought Kay's family were the most ardent Auburn fans, but this family has them beat:

Remains found at Jordan-Hare

My admiration to the deceased and family for the foresight to pick this game to scatter the ashes, and the skill to do it without getting caught.
Auburn has an associate professor for turfgrass and weed science?! "It happens a lot more than you think," he said, according to al.com. "People want their final resting place to be Jordan-Hare Stadium." :roll:

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:20 pm

BackInTex wrote: One of their player's parents went down on the filed and beat up their coach.
Story here
It could have been worse.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/colom ... 18013.html
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

rayxtwo

#22 Post by rayxtwo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm saving my comments till Saturday night.

M

I

Z

Z

O

U

Ray

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:31 pm
Here's the video I was talking about. It runs longer than the excerpt used on ESPN and shows the runback 3 or 4 times.

--Bob
I just learned that a few years after this call, Rod Bramlett, the Auburn play-by-play man featured in this video, was killed along with his wife in a traffic accident. This news is several years old, but it makes me sad. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:41 pm

Two years later, Georgia Tech had its own version against FSU.

And this year's finale of Alabama Auburn was a close runnerup in terms of excitement.

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:46 pm

Whenever someone brings up an old thread like this, I feel a bit sad seeing the names of BBs who, for various reasons, are no longer on here.